Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Someone questioned who was the better Robson or Keane??
    Both were brilliant players. Robbo probably slightly better attacking and scoring with his head, Keane possibly better in a deeper role. However since Robbo signed I would have him, Keane and Scholes in a midfield 3 all day long. 3 middle of the park players we will still be talking about in years to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

bangkok wrote: »
    What significant mistakes did he make that stick out?

Carrick has been one of the most consistent midfielders in Europe for the last 10 years

I can't recall the specific games or years, but I've three specific passages of play in my head that got us turfed out of Europe in the SAf era. Remember one he was in a horrid run of form and benched, came on and within like 10 minutes had ****ed up and conceded.

Carrick does absolutely nothing deserving of the praises he receives, nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

TheDoc wrote: »
    I can't recall the specific games or years, but I've three specific passages of play in my head that got us turfed out of Europe in the SAf era. Remember one he was in a horrid run of form and benched, came on and within like 10 minutes had ****ed up and conceded.

Of course he does ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

carrick came in had a great 3 to 4 year period and had 2-3 seasons that i was with you calling for him to be out but has been great since that dip again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ah come on, that is the biggest pile of crap post ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

TheTownie wrote: »

All he was short was to say hold up a Pogba 6 shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

26 man squad he wants then

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

26 man squad he wants then

huh?

magnumbud wrote: »
    huh?

He said usually he goes with 20+3 but because of the EL he is has decided to go with 23+3

23 outfield players, we currently have 22 and will sign 1 more, as per the video.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

He said usually he goes with 20+3 but because of the EL he is has decided to go with 23+3

23 outfield players, we currently have 22 and will sign 1 more, as per the video.

thats not the way i took what he said.

i thought he said he usually has 20 outfield and 3 gk and currently has 22 and we will add 1 ( very good cm :D ) to make it a 23 man squad including keepers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It lacks the understanding imo. Firstly your judging off Carrick falls under into what I mentioned earlier, this type of rigid set of criteria that people and the media seem to have set in stone as too what makes a good MF player. Tough tackling, powerful runs, quick footed and lots of flair etc.............and yes all of that is important but player can be good in other ways. Also you said he is a good player just now but certain skills have stopped him from becoming a top player and my point was about those who don't rate him so are we even in disagreement?

When judging him to be a top player or not you have to start by judging him properly against similar players.

Carrick at the base of midfield he can bring in players to the attack, his choice of pass means he rarely gives the ball away, this allows the team to build from the back.

His awareness of whats going on around him, his ability to intercept passes, then get back into position what the gives the entire team an attacking stronghold in a game is where Carrick excels. A lot of this ugly stuff goes unseen and a lot of players don't want to do it or cant.

Scholes put it well

Carrick is not going to dance his way out of a situation like Iniesta, he knows that and doesn't play to that weakeness.

Similar players to judge him against and those considered top players would be Busquets and Pirlo. Pirlo is flashy and quick footed at getting away from players under preessure, Busquets less so but considered a master of his position and but was often and still by some overlooked and underated, as Carrick has said about him also. Those players have an avg of 1.7 interceptions per game, and have a passing success percentage of 92% and 88% respectively. Carricks right in the middle with 89%. In total Utd have won 68% of their games with Carrick and 62% without.

The problem comes when Carrick looks bad because the team is playing bad and is not allowed to use his football brain when we are constantly under pressure but nobody looks good in those situations and unfortunately that's been happening a lot to UTD lately.

So Carricks ability to shut down threats benefits the entire team, and this is before I even get to his creative side, which is massively underrated

Neville put it well in terms of Carricks positional awareness

After the cleaning up and firefighting duties Carrick is very forwarding thinking with his passing

All is all these combination of abilities is what makes Carrick a very strong player overall.

That's a good, detailed explanation of your thinking on Carrick. Since I've explained my thinking many, many times, including in the last 24 hours, I won't repeat it now.
    Also you said he is a good player just now but certain skills have stopped him from becoming a top player and my point was about those who don't rate him so are we even in disagreement?

It certainly seems that we are in disagreement. I asked you
    "Do you agree that he is, and has been, a good but limited player, who has problems with being pressed? That this issue holds him back from being a top level player? Is that about right, or is that an opinion displaying a lack of understanding of even the basics of football?"
    The first line of your response was "It lacks the understanding imo." And you followed up with an explanation of why you think he is a very strong player, compared him favourably to Busquets and Pirlo (when playing in Italy presumably) and said that I was being led by rigid, popular and media opinion on what makes a good CM. So yes, we are obviously in disagreement.

The funny thing is, not that long ago (in Fergie's last season I think), you more or less agreed with me on Carrick's limitations and how they have kept him from being good enough for the very top level of European football. Now you think that opinion displays a lack of understanding of even the basics of football. That's quite a change.

magnumbud wrote: »
    thats not the way i took what he said.

i thought he said he usually has 20 outfield and 3 gk and currently has 22 and we will add 1 ( very good cm :D ) to make it a 23 man squad including keepers

Nope, right there in plain English.
    "I normally like to work with 20 players plus the 3 goalkeepers, which is what I do for 15 years"

Talks about the Europa League commitments
    "So I made the decision to be with 23 players, plus 3 goalkeepers, which I think is still a lot"

Every player in his position needs an attacking player beside him. Look at busqeuts at barca, very same as Carrick but had Xavi and iniesta beside him for years

Busquets is not the same as Carrick. He has a better first touch and he is a good dribbler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

xgYQvOu.jpg

Nope, right there in plain English.

Talks about the Europa League commitments

i must have switched off listening to him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pro. F wrote: »
    Busquets is not the same as Carrick. He has a better first touch and he is a good dribbler.

He is never under pressure either as barca regularly have 70% possession so it's much easier to have a great first touch when there is nobody near you.

Veron had a great first touch and control while in Italy, when he came to England it was a much different prospect. He failed miserably, decent few games but overall was a flop.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pogba hasn't posted anything on social media in nearly 48 hours...... 48 plus 48 is 96 so minus 48 that leaves 48 so I say he will be a united player in 48 hours or maybe 96 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ah come on, that is the biggest pile of crap post ever!!

That's pretty rich coming from you.

It's an opinion I have that clearly doesn't sit well, so it will just be a roundabout debate ala Nani etc. So there really isn't a point in me getting defensive over it.

But literally no one will ever convince me that Carrick is deserving of the praise and labels he receives.

I'm not calling him a bad player, I'm just saying he is definitely not the wonderful midfielder everyone has a circlejerk over.

He is never under pressure either as barca regularly have 70% possession so it's much easier to have a great first touch when there is nobody near you.

That's not how football works.
    Veron had a great first touch and control while in Italy, when he came to England it was a much different prospect. He failed miserably, decent few games but overall was a flop.

I'm not interested in talking about Veron. It was too long ago and wouldn't trust any of us to remember what Veron's first touch was really like when he was in Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I know I'm in a Manchester United thread full of Manchester United fans but....

Is anyone else sick of Mourinho's bollocks already?

Tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

That_Guy wrote: »

Tedious.

What bollocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

jayo26 wrote: »
    Pogba hasn't posted anything on social media in nearly 48 hours...... 48 plus 48 is 96 so minus 48 that leaves 48 so I say he will be a united player in 48 hours or maybe 96 hours.

But I've also been doing some research and I may have uncovered something incredible...

Pogba has five letters, right? Well if you break it down you get P-o-g-b-a. Ok? Five letters? What else has five letters Field!

But there's more...

If you take the letters in Pogba and re-arrange them you can get this.
    393588.png

But look closer, using special IT zoom,
    393588.png
    I bet you didnt notice that before I showed you.

Footballers play in triangles.

Illuminati.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Tedious.

If you're sick of him before a ball is even touched in a competitive game, it's going to be a long season for you :P

I was one with my doubts about Mourinho coming in, something I'm sure is biased due to history but he hasn't done anything yet to make me sick of him, quite the opposite, seems to have everything in control at the moment.

What bollocks?

His jibes at Wenger/Klopp etc.

I get it, they're rivals but it's like a dog with a bone. Just let go and focus on your own bleedin' team.

I don't usually follow all the goings on but I can't escape the radio and the various soundbites that have plagued my ears this off season. Getting tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I get it, they're rivals but it's like a dog with a bone. Just let go and focus on your own bleedin' team.

I don't usually follow all the goings on but I can't escape the radio and the various soundbites that have plagued my ears this off season. Getting tiresome.

So another manager questions your teams transfer policy and he's not allowed to comment when asked about it?

ElChe32 wrote: »
    So another manager questions your teams transfer policy and he's not allowed to comment when asked about it?

NO!!

;)

I know he's not the only one who engages in this type of stuff but he's the most prominent.. or at least he's the one whose soundbites I've heard the most.

I didn't realise the others were at it too. In that case, they should all shut up and just focus on the aul football.

I can usually drown it out but this week seems to be worse for that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

NO!!

;)

I know he's not the only one who engages in this type of stuff but he's the most prominent.. or at least he's the one whose soundbites I've heard the most.

I didn't realise the others were at it too. In that case, they should all shut up and just focus on the aul football.

I can usually drown it out but this week seems to be worse for that sort of thing.

Have you been in the Liverpool and Arsenal thread asking them if they're tired of Klopp and Wenger commenting on United's transfer policy?

NO!!

;)

He was asked to comment on other clubs business I thought he gave the perfect answer and it is the other managers that seems to have the bone from what I see.

People were building up jose vs pep but so far they the ones that have answered and acted properly and been respectful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The cult of the manager is amazing.

I mean I was one of numerous fans who were questioning the appoint of Mourinho solely on some of the unsavoury, damn right odious, traits of his personality. This very thread had people harbouring doubts about his character, not to mention his tendency to jump ship after three seasons (leaving destruction in his wake).

And in the midst of Rooney's rather public regression, this thread was also full of people suggesting that Schweni be made captain in his stead (even in a non-playing role).

It's amazing now how people are firmly in the pro-Jose camp in whatever is happening with Schweni.

While Jose claims he is not in his plans, which is fair enough, the way he is treating him certainly smacks of "bullying". The season hasn't even started yet, and I am worrying that the odious side of Jose's personality is already rearing it's ugly head. I fear him sticking blindly to Rooney too, just like the previous two managers in this post-Fergie landscape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Pro. F wrote: »
    That's a good, detailed explanation of your thinking on Carrick. Since I've explained my thinking many, many times, including in the last 24 hours, I won't repeat it now.

It certainly seems that we are in disagreement. I asked you
    "Do you agree that he is, and has been, a good but limited player, who has problems with being pressed? That this issue holds him back from being a top level player? Is that about right, or is that an opinion displaying a lack of understanding of even the basics of football?"
    The first line of your response was "It lacks the understanding imo." And you followed up with an explanation of why you think he is a very strong player, compared him favourably to Busquets and Pirlo (when playing in Italy presumably) and said that I was being led by rigid, popular and media opinion on what makes a good CM. So yes, we are obviously in disagreement.

The funny thing is, not that long ago (in Fergie's last season I think), you more or less agreed with me on Carrick's limitations and how they have kept him from being good enough for the very top level of European football. Now you think that opinion displays a lack of understanding of even the basics of football. That's quite a change.

Its not a change, you are now bringing the phrases "top level footballer" and now "top european level" into it, when I said already twice to you, anyone who thinks Carrick is not a good footballer is simply wrong and doesn't understand the game enough to see why.

Also Carrick has been preforming well at the top European level and domestic level quite well through one of the clubs most prestigious periods and I have argued with you before about why Carrick is good, as far back as the SAF era iirc.

Also anytime I have heard you talk about Carrick its been about his lack of ability to when pressed to quick footedly get out of situation or his lack of good first touch when under pressure to get away from a player. These things I have never claimed he has had and would have agreed with anyone who said so. I have never heard you mention any of the other qualities he posses, so this is either a lack of understanding to see those qualities and there importance or just a bias to willingly ignore them to make your self serving false point, neither of which are a good thing.

If you can't reasonably rebut any of the points or statistics I made in my post about Carricks qualities then fine but stop trying to move the goal posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Did Klopp not get his retaliation in first?

The Wenger stuff is going on for years alright, he might secretly fancy him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I mean I was one of numerous fans who were questioning the appoint of Mourinho solely on some of the unsavoury, damn right odious, traits of his personality. This very thread had people harbouring doubts about his character, not to mention his tendency to jump ship after three seasons (leaving destruction in his wake).

And in the midst of Rooney's rather public regression, this thread was also full of people suggesting that Schweni be made captain in his stead (even in a non-playing role).

It's amazing now how people are firmly in the pro-Jose camp in whatever is happening with Schweni.

While Jose claims he is not in his plans, which is fair enough, the way he is treating him certainly smacks of "bullying". The season hasn't even started yet, and I am worrying that the odious side of Jose's personality is already rearing it's ugly head. I fear him sticking blindly to Rooney too, just like the previous two managers in this post-Fergie landscape.

While it's not nice it's kind of understandable in a way. He's not wanted but he wants to hang around on his big wages that he's hasn't done enough to earn tbh, it's a business decision.

I do share your Rooney concern though. I honestly think the club would be much better off without him. It's not so much the poor performances but the knock on effect of players playing out of position to accommodate him.

I know he may win us stuff, he's probably the nearest thing to a sure bet but football is not that straight forward, but i'm not a fan of his.

Aside from never really enjoying watching his teams play and never seeming to put much faith in building players through his own academy which both he could prove me wrong for the incident with him trying to poke tito vilanova in the eye really is something that i cant get passed its a disgusting thing to try to do to another person and could have seriously damaged a mans vision if he had scratched his eyeball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Bullying is a very strong word. He's told a Profesional athlete on 200k a week he's surplus to requirements. If an offer comes in or Schweinsteiger wants to leave I'm sure the club will facilitate it. He's not fired him or made him take a pay cut, he just made it clear he won't feature this season.

I wanted Bastian to be a success, I really did however I want Manchester United to be successful more therefore if Jose deems him surplus I have no problem with that. Mourinho needs to back up his actions with results and hes backing himself with his squad selections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

That's pretty rich coming from you.

It's an opinion I have that clearly doesn't sit well, so it will just be a roundabout debate ala Nani etc. So there really isn't a point in me getting defensive over it.

But literally no one will ever convince me that Carrick is deserving of the praise and labels he receives.

I'm not calling him a bad player, I'm just saying he is definitely not the wonderful midfielder everyone has a circlejerk over.

At the risk of a 10 page debate, that's exactly how I feel about Kroos! :p

But I'll just have to accept people more learned than me e.g. various managers, see what I can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Still want that CB and RB to finish off a great summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

As we could do with another centre back in the squad and we are buying back our former youth players. Is it worth buying Ryan Shawcross as cover for CB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

MagicIRL wrote: »
    But I've also been doing some research and I may have uncovered something incredible...

Pogba has five letters, right? Well if you break it down you get P-o-g-b-a. Ok? Five letters? What else has five letters Field!

But there's more...

If you take the letters in Pogba and re-arrange them you can get this.
    393588.png

But look closer, using special IT zoom,
    393588.png
    I bet you didnt notice that before I showed you.

Footballers play in triangles.

Illuminati.

Who's Pbgba? Can he play midfield?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

wintear wrote: »
    As we could do with another centre back in the squad and we are buying back our former youth players. Is it worth buying Ryan Shawcross as cover for CB?

Absolutely not!

He's not a bad defender but wouldn't cut it at the top level I reckon, is quite important to Stoke so it's not like we'd just be picking him up for free/very cheap as a stop gap, he turns 29 in October so is likely as good as he will ever be (and with his style of play, could be on the way down as little as 2-3 years from now).

If it comes to it, I'd rather keep 1-2 of Jones or Rojo; have Smalling, Blind & Bailly as CBs 1-3, CBJ & TSM as the young guys with potential that have shown they can cut it in the first team already, Rojo and/or Jones as some experienced backup and Darmian/Carrick as 'in a pinch' emergency CBs. Granted Jones & Rojo are not good enough for their roles there, but look to move them on in January or next summer. Hopefully at that point TFM/CBJ have established themselves more again to give us 5 solid options at CB... but if not, then we need to buy.

Don't get me wrong I would like a CB signing and both Jones/Rojo gone, but I just don't know that the right person is available right now. Not sure if Jose would be given the funds, but I'd absolutely say to break the bank for someone in the Hummels/Bonucci class of player, and if the price were right, would be happy to get someone of lesser ability (but an upgrade on Jones/Rojo. The problem is neither type of player really seems to be all that available right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

astradave wrote: »

Anything is possible when you're a reptilian shapeshifter. :cool:

astradave wrote: »

He is fantastic I watched him in the youths he is gonna be world class can play in 10 different positions so he is nearly as good as John O Shea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

So it looks like the deal is done. I had applied healthy sceptism of late but Jose's comments today confirm the deal. Moyes must be sickened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

So it looks like the deal is done. I had applied healthy sceptism of late but Jose's comments today confirm the deal. Moyes must be sickened.

You didn't apply a healthy secptism, you told us earlier in the week he ain't signing for us, he was signing for Madrid and it was time for us all to move on.

I'd advise you to get the whole story and the context of his answers before jumping in here with both feet.

• Advertisement

Oh and while I'm having a good moan, I'd advise Castletownman(or who ever it was) to look up the meaning of bullying.

Laughable to call it that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

WxkkD.gif

Anyone else keep thinking "Castletownman" says "castlewoman" at first glance?????

No??? Just me??? Ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

jayo26 wrote: »
    Anyone else keep thinking "Castletownman" says "castlewoman" at first glance?????

No??? Just me??? Ok

Just you Jayop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Schweinstiger surplus to requirements so f**kin what. Bigger players and players who were far bigger club legends were surplus to requirements. He is on 200k per week. Spent half last season flying all over the place. Fair play to Jose. If he dont need him why keep him???
    Would be pissed off if it was one of our younger players coming through but Schweinstiger is past it. Move on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement