Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

jayo26 wrote: »
    And it was always the same players on transfer market at start of game

2743212_premier_manager_98_playstation_uk_front.jpgfree image hosting

Ah yes I remember that, each player rated out of 5 stars, if a player retired you got a Regen replacement with same skill level. Cutting edge simulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Miguel Nadal, for those who think the one who got away is a recent thing :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/united-closing-in-on-nadal-deal-1365267.html

Marcelo Salas another, Jesus they're coming back to me now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Good to see pogba is taking a leaf out of Tony valencia book and watching loads of video tapes...

http://dailym.ai/2aWulOB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Miguel Nadal, for those who think the one who got away is a recent thing

Marcelo Salas another, Jesus they're coming back to me now

I'll see those two and raise you one Celio Silva in 1997 after le tournoi...

We could also mention shearer and batistuta... or Ortega...

Some French lad Zidane was done pre Euro 96 before Poborsky scored a worldly... thank god.... the Zidane lad was rubbish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Miguel Nadal, for those who think the one who got away is a recent thing :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/united-closing-in-on-nadal-deal-1365267.html

Marcelo Salas another, Jesus they're coming back to me now :)

The beast of Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

brinty wrote: »

Some French lad Zidane was done pre Euro 96 before Poborsky scored a worldly... thank god.... the Zidane lad was rubbish...

A team of world beaters the lads who got away!!

Refused a work permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jayo26 wrote: »
    Was a classic but very easy too.
    True, but the five-a-side indoor and (if I recall) 'no fouls' options were fantastic and gave it a ridiculous amount of replay value with friends. Cook Islands vs (another terrible team that was on it, can't remember the others) with no fouls on, in the indoor 5-a-side (with walls so the ball never went out of play)... so, so much murderous fun! :D

Refused a work permit.

He was refused one
    The beast of Barcelona.

The butcher I believe... or am i thinking of Shakespeare..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

It lacks the understanding imo. Firstly your judging off Carrick falls under into what I mentioned earlier, this type of rigid set of criteria that people and the media seem to have set in stone as too what makes a good MF player. Tough tackling, powerful runs, quick footed and lots of flair etc.............

I respect your opinion on a lot of things in this thread but on this i have to say wow what bollocks. He lacks all of those things you just said among a few others.His few good points were never enough to overcome his obvious flaws.

and yes all of that is important but player can be good in other ways. Also you said he is a good player just now but certain skills have stopped him from becoming a top player and my point was about those who don't rate him so are we even in disagreement?

He was never a top player, not even close, any central midfielder whose best passing ability was backwards and 99% of the time it was backwards can never be judged as any way efficient in a team who 'were' regarded as attack minded.
    Carrick at the base of midfield he can bring in players to the attack, his choice of pass means he rarely gives the ball away, this allows the team to build from the back.

Seriously ? After watching United the last five years you can honestly say Carrick passing the ball poorly at times to the centre half or keeper was a good attacking move ? Any sort of pressure on him quite often resulted in a chance given away or possession conceded which isn't a trait a top player has. Strangely enough for a defense minded player with good awareness he reacts poorly when pressured on the ball.
    His awareness of whats going on around him, his ability to intercept passes, then get back into position what the gives the entire team an attacking stronghold in a game is where Carrick excels. A lot of this ugly stuff goes unseen and a lot of players don't want to do it or cant.

He had quite a good level of awareness and some of his interceptions were top notch, he also failed at covering or tracking runners a lot which cost us goals too.
    Similar players to judge him against and those considered top players would be Busquets and Pirlo.

There is not any sane football fan in the world who would contemplate comparing Carrick to either of those two players, they both excel on the ball under any sort of pressure and don't fear moving the ball forward.He was and still is a negative possession player with limited attacking ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

d22ontour wrote: »
    I respect your opinion on a lot of things in this thread but on this i have to say wow what bollocks. He lacks all of those things you just said among a few others.His few good points were never enough to overcome his obvious flaws.

He was never a top player, not even close, any central midfielder whose best passing ability was backwards and 99% of the time it was backwards can never be judged as any way efficient in a team who 'were' regarded as attack minded.

Seriously ? After watching United the last five years you can honestly say Carrick passing the ball poorly at times to the centre half or keeper was a good attacking move ? Any sort of pressure on him quite often resulted in a chance given away or possession conceded which isn't a trait a top player has. Strangely enough for a defense minded player with good awareness he reacts poorly when pressured on the ball.

He had quite a good level of awareness and some of his interceptions were top notch, he also failed at covering or tracking runners a lot which cost us goals too.

There is not any sane football fan in the world who would contemplate comparing Carrick to either of those two players, they both excel on the ball under any sort of pressure and don't fear moving the ball forward.He was and still is a negative possession player with limited attacking ability.

Anyone doing a fantasy footy boards league here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Its not a change, you are now bringing the phrases "top level footballer" and now "top european level" into it, when I said already twice to you, anyone who thinks Carrick is not a good footballer is simply wrong and doesn't understand the game enough to see why.

But I asked you directly whether you thought my opinion that Carrick wasn't a top level player displayed a lack of understanding of the basics of the game and you said you did. I'm not introducing "top level player" now, I used that exact phrase when I asked you about your thoughts on my opinion on Carrick. ("Top European level" means the same thing as far as I'm concerned)

Look >>

Here is what I asked you:
    "Do you agree that he is, and has been, a good but limited player, who has problems with being pressed? That this issue holds him back from being a top level player? Is that about right, or is that an opinion displaying a lack of understanding of even the basics of football?"

And here is the first sentence of your response:
    "It lacks the understanding imo."

Have you changed your mind since you answered that question the first time? Do you now agree with me that Carrick is, and has been, a good but limited player who has problems when pressed and that this issue holds him back from being a top level player?
    Also anytime I have heard you talk about Carrick its been about his lack of ability to when pressed to quick footedly get out of situation or his lack of good first touch when under pressure to get away from a player. These things I have never claimed he has had and would have agreed with anyone who said so. I have never heard you mention any of the other qualities he posses, so this is either a lack of understanding to see those qualities and there importance or just a bias to willingly ignore them to make your self serving false point, neither of which are a good thing.

I have detailed Carrick's positive points many, many times, including when I've been criticising him. I'm surprised you've never read those parts of my posts. In fact, it was based on those positive aspects of his game that I argued he was better than Blind and Schneiderlin when many on here were lauding them as superior over the last two years.
    If you can't reasonably rebut any of the points or statistics I made in my post about Carricks qualities then fine but stop trying to move the goal posts.

I've already made my argument about Carrick's flaws plenty of times today. No need to repeat it now.

Regarding your statistics.
    The first one was pass accuracy I believe. Yes, Carrick's is good. As has been said many times, it's easier to have a high pass accuracy if you avoid taking on the ball in the more difficult situations. Hence you find CBs often have amongst the highest pass accuracies on the team. So, unless you're just using it to filter out the very bad CMs, it is a poor metric for judging ability on the ball.

You mentioned the drop in United's win rate for when Carrick isn't playing (68% v 62%). Again, as has been pointed out countless times, that might be impressive if we had ever actually had a serious collection of DCMs that Carrick was being compared too.

You also mentioned Busquets' and Pirlo's combined average interception rate being 1.7 per game, but didn't give Carrick's (I'm guessing you meant to include it). *Shrug* I'm not doubting his defensive contribution.

I'd just like to state that I disagree with most of what d22ontour is saying. We're both critical of Carrick, but the criticisms are very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

https://twitter.com/capuanogio/status/761809609736716288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

LaStampa: "between today and tomorrow Pogba will visit Manchester United to complete his move."

So what they are really saying is... 48hrs :D

https://twitter.com/juvefcdotcom/status/761832893832433664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    @juvefcdotcom
    Announcement for Pogba to #MUFC could come today - Paul is expected to fly directly to England. Matuidi the favourite to replace him [CdS]

Imagine the fallout when he is spotted in an Airport in Turin :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

astradave wrote: »

LaStampa: "between today and tomorrow Pogba will visit Manchester United to complete his move."

So in they are basically saying within 48 hours

• Advertisement

magnumbud wrote: »
    So in they are basically saying within 48 hours

Change the lyrics from twenty four to forty eight :D

Billy86 wrote: »
    True, but the five-a-side indoor and (if I recall) 'no fouls' options were fantastic and gave it a ridiculous amount of replay value with friends. Cook Islands vs (another terrible team that was on it, can't remember the others) with no fouls on, in the indoor 5-a-side (with walls so the ball never went out of play)... so, so much murderous fun! :D

Think your confusing it with fifa 98 tht has the in door mode and it definitely should be brought back.

So anyway In 48 hours then Yeh?

Still reckon it's going to be announced today. tomorrow.Saturday.Ben Hibbs who basically runs the website just followed him on twitter and so did Mandy from MUTV

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

This day two years ago a club legend announced his retirement.

An individual that was instrumental in our title winning campaigns.

An individual that causes massive consternation amongst our rival fans.

An individual that always did the right thing when it came to United no matter what the consequences.

An individual that raised the ire od many of our rivals because when he was involved in our matches we undoubtedly won thanks to his influence.

Hope you are enjoying the retirement my son.

1407335329036_wps_33_Howard_Webb_Virals.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

“It would be easier for me to have 20 new players and start from zero. For two years, they had principles of play that are not mine, clearly. But the players are players and without losing their identity, they try to adapt to what the manager wants.

“After two years, there are things in their brain that are automatic and that is difficult to change.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-making-manchester-united-8571729

Maybe this is why we looked negative at times in the last game.

Jayo is the plane fuelled up
    Maximus are you ready to assist as second captain???
    MarsBar and CookieDough are you looking as groomed and beautiful as always..

Kew is the train ready and waiting??? First Class pristine and a muay Thai coach at hand?

Mick how's the tractor? Has a bucket of water cleaned her off???

Today's the day folks

#whoosh
    #choochoo
    #beepbeep

I have The Stone Roses queued up and it's to tight between I wanna be adored and I am the Resurrection for which song is most appropriate

#happypogbaday

Sky mentioning real willing to sell isco???
    Cheeky bid anyone?? Isn't he under25 so plenty of football in him?

Sky mentioning real willing to sell isco???
    Cheeky bid anyone?? Isn't he under25 so plenty of football in him?

Who would he replace? Mata and Rooney? We would need to sell one of them off.. would he be happy coming from Real's bench to Uniteds Bench? Don't get me wrong he's a good player but i don't think he is better than what we have in the squad especially if Pogba is coming in as Pogba can play that role too.

Also Allegri has a press conference today at 1pm, think its 12 our time, might hear something from the horses mouth so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Aren't Juve in London this weekend, so he will be in England one way or the other if he is meeting up with his(new!) teammates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Kew is the train ready and waiting??? First Class pristine and a muay Thai coach at hand?

Today's the day folks

#whoosh
    #choochoo
    #beepbeep

I have The Stone Roses queued up and it's to tight between I wanna be adored and I am the Resurrection for which song is most appropriate

#happypogbaday
    Where do I get the tickets? I already have my Pogba 6 jersey on the way

adox wrote: »
    Aren't Juve in London this weekend, so he will be in England one way or the other if he is meeting up with his(new!) teammates.

The reports were that he had to report to Juve's training facility in Turin, probably for post holiday fitness checks and the like

MrMac84 wrote: »

Just tell brinty your female and you get on for free ;)

You can be part of the welcoming party

Please take a seat

MarsBar and CookieDough will be distributing snacks and cold beverages shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Please take a seat

Nah I'm making myself comfortable on the nice seats. I left the trolley at the front of the plane, stretch or starve. I will not be providing any waiting service.

I think we're in for a long flight... :D

• Advertisement

Nah I'm making myself comfortable on the nice seats. I left the trolley at the front of the plane, stretch or starve. I will not be providing any waiting service.

I think we're in for a long flight... :D

That'll learn 'im!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Please take a seat

A bit sexist there.

Please take a seat

Stop being so sexist for fùck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Although I've been one of the minority with some concerns over Pogba I can't wait for the deal to be done just for the gif celebrations alone :P

it might even put a hold on the Carrick debate :L

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nah, standard response designed to kill off any more questions.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Nah, standard response designed to kill off any more questions.

Yeah I know but there will no doubt be one or two fans taking his word as literal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

mqdefault.jpg

I hope everyone was paying attention to the safety demonstration.

So reading we signed Sam Johnstones brother Max on trial for academy, he's 17

Would be interesting to have two brothers both as keepers in the senior squad down the line :P

• Advertisement

Korat wrote: »
    mqdefault.jpg

I hope everyone was paying attention to the safety demonstration.

Bit of poor taste if I'm right in thinking that's the crashed airplane in Dubai from a couple of days ago where a firefighter died trying to put it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Early last week I really had enough of the return of the prodigal son saga and the whole will he, won't he that was infesting the thread. But since then, I've kinda had a road to Damascus moment and realised the prodigal son is undoubtedly coming home. The guy had a very late end to his very long season and I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually comes out, that business was concluded a lot sooner than people realise. Speaking of which, are there any tickets left for the positivity train, or are they all sold out?

A bit sexist there.

Why doesnt anyone call him sexist when he makes Jayo the pilot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Why doesnt anyone call him sexist when he makes Jayo the pilot?

I'll let you figure that one out for yourself. Get back to me later if you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Bit of poor taste if I'm right in thinking that's the crashed airplane in Dubai from a couple of days ago where a firefighter died trying to put it out.

That's the one, but I thought there were no fatalities. You're correct though a firefighter was killed. Lazy foruming on my part. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

At least Allegri's comments should hurry things up. No more will he/won't he while he's on holidays. If/when he doesn't show up to training tomorrow then that will pretty much be the confirmation that something is happening.

Which should lead to some kind of confirmation in.....

maybe.....

48 hours?

• Advertisement

I'll let you figure that one out for yourself. Get back to me later if you can't.

So you only have a problem with historical female defined roles and not male ones interestingly ironoic.. Anyways not the place for this...

Pogblah, Pogback, Pogbon, Pogboff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Today's the day folks

#whoosh
    #choochoo
    #beepbeep

#happypogbaday

I will derail this train if Pogba is not signed soon :pac:

^^
    Dave is that a reliable account

As for the rest of you posters

I'm not in anyway sexist. MarsBar and CookieDough love their roles

Dong I also manage the ladies team,that's hardly sexist??? If it was I'd be protesting against it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sunday, Monday Pogba day
    Tuesday Wednesday Pogba day
    Thursday, Friday Pogba day
    The weekend comes, my head hurts
    Ready for same **** all over again....

Ya I'm bored:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement