Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Can we not just buy a Rooney Replacement and phase him out this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Never got the Mata love. No significant contribution for his price tag. Nice guys come last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

In fairness, as much as I love Mata, he deserves to play for a team where he is going to start the majority of games, and not sit on the bench for the odd cameo and carling cup game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Can we not just buy a Rooney Replacement and phase him out this season?

Rooney is a problem of Moyes and then LVG's making,had Fergie stayed another season,he would be gone.
    Moyes gave him that stupid contract and LVG massaged his ego no matter how badly he played.He's on crazy money and declining rapidly so no Prem club will take him on sky high wages,the only realistic option is China but he won't go there.We seem to be stuck with him but he could be seeing less playing time than he likes.I can't imagine Jose being happy seeing the ball constantly bouncing off his shins in midfield and every 2nd touch a tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Jose has the balls to deal with Rooney. He'll either be useful and in the team or he'll be watching games from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Never got the Mata love. No significant contribution for his price tag. Nice guys come last.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

MD1990 wrote: »
    hqdefault.jpg

But he possibly defrauded the Spanish state of taxes which could be used to help sick children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What?!!!!
    He has won

1 World Cup
    1 European Championship
    1 Champions league
    2 Fa Cups

Along with some more.

Last? really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

What?!!!!
    He has won

1 World Cup
    1 European Championship
    1 Champions league
    2 Fa Cups

Along with some more.

Last? really?

I'm with you there. He has some great individual awards also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Mata suffered as most did under two negative managers who played him out of position.

5 goals and 6 assists in the league last year we scored what 49 goals?

With a decent midfield behind him and a bit of quality in front of him he would be great behind the striker.

Instead we will see him for 10 million and play Rooney in his place to get him in the team.

What?!!!!
    He has won

1 World Cup
    1 European Championship
    1 Champions league
    2 Fa Cups

Along with some more.

Last? really?

He won a world cup for United? Nice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

hqdefault.jpg

Messi is far from a nice guy. He is ruthless but the media make out he is the nice guy and Ronaldo is the bad guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

GSPfan wrote: »
    He won a world cup for United? Nice. :)

He has played for more teams than Utd.......

Save your spittle, I said that point doesn't really apply to us and in terms of this discussion it doesn't. The £20m we would get for somebody like Mata is functionally insignificant when to comes to balancing our books as they presently stand.

If he was guaranteed to rot in the reserves all year then sure, take the cash, but thats not a given at all and people shouldn't assume it as a given. Far more likely that he remains a squad player able to step in to certain games at certain times and that Jose would utilise him in that way.

We may well sell him, I don't know the clubs plan. But we certainly do not need to sell anybody, which was the point I made.

Also you can't have players in the squad who are unhappy, effects squad moral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

At Chelsea Mourinho went with Oscar over Mata, who was not happy on the bench but was certainly not let go cheap.

I think he stays unless someone is brought in to directly replace him at number 10, maybe Rooney is going to be the man in that role next year first choice, but there is plenty of games to go around and Mata will start plenty of games at 10 or from the right if he is still at the club.

The Armenian will be played where he has been most effective for Dortmund in my opinion, rotating at the 10 as needs be also, but there is nobody there who you would say is forcing Mata out as of right now. Possibly something of a personal nature between himself and Jose which would not be unbelievable considering how he left Chelsea, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at the club, or indeed sold by the end of the window actually.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liamk

What?!!!!
    He has won

1 World Cup
    1 European Championship
    1 Champions league
    2 Fa Cups

Along with some more.

Last? really?

wasn't first team for the world cup came on to score the forth but it was dead and buried.

He's really good but that's all and going forward not what we should settle for, we need world class. Didn't like the transfer at the time but he did play some nice stuff and had me thinking but now I'm back saying get lost its zlatan time with rashers ahead of him

mata's too slow/not strong enough/not got a good enough/jaysus can't even take a decent corner

Edit: delighted to keep him for the bench if he'd be on for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ShaunC wrote: »
    He has played for more teams than Utd.......

But the reply was to a statement that Mata never justified the high price we paid for him and that nice guys finish last. So winning world cups and european championships doesnt matter at all for us as United dont benefit from it and the fact he is a nice guy doesnt spare him from maybe being sold now.

Why do clubs sell players?

- Because they need the money? Doesn't apply to us really.
    - Because they get an offer too good to refuse? I don't think that will be happening for any of our squad.
    - Because they have too many players? We don't have too many players.
    - Because they have players who have no place in the team? We don't have a big squad and aren't overstocked in any position, doesn't really apply to us.
    - Because they have players not fit for purpose? Perhaps some of our players aren't brilliant but all of them at least are competent Premier league standard and can do a job as squad players.
    - Because there are bad influences? I don't think that applies, are there any bad apples or players hurting the team morale?
    - Because the player wants to leave? Who wants to leave or is submitting a transfer request?

So of the various possible reasons a club might want to sell players none of them really apply to us, we don't need the money, we don't need to sell, we don't have a big squad, we don't have too many defenders/midfielders/strikers, we don't have players manufacturing moves, we don't have players that are big targets for other clubs. Frankly, I just don't see why anybody would be leaving this summer, be it Mata, Young, Rooney or whoever.

If a club is willing to overpay for a player you dont particularly need or can replace easily you should sell

Also Mata out is a really easy thing for papers to write about with Jose joining just like all the links to Chelsea players and while I wouldnt cry about him going i would be mad if we are left with Lingard or someone else in his place.

how many 10s have we, Rooney, Mata, Herrera none of which performed all that well last year due to differing reasons.

Selling mata for anything less then 35 million in this market would be silly imo.

And lastly remember his goal via the pool some cracker Forlan is a legend for similar but worse performances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bangkok wrote: »
    Also you can't have players in the squad who are unhappy, effects squad moral

How do you know who is unhappy? Are there any rumblings about player unrest coming from the club, any quotes or sources naming players who want to leave?
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    With a decent midfield behind him and a bit of quality in front of him he would be great behind the striker.

Juan Mata in a nutshell. When everything is perfectly set up for him he can do well. If only he could produce a few performances when everything isn't going well then perhaps we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Still don't think we should sell though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If a club is willing to overpay for a player you dont particularly need or can replace easily you should sell

Of course, the "offer too good to refuse" I mentioned.

But £20m for Mata in todays market is not an offer too good to refuse. And even in a squad role replacing him with similar quality may not be as easy as you suggest.

Of course, the "offer too good to refuse" I mentioned.

But £20m for Mata in todays market is not an offer too good to refuse. And even in a squad role replacing him with similar quality may not be as easy as you suggest.

O sorry I missed you said that and agree with the rest, I wouldnt nearly sell Mata for 20 mil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

zerks wrote: »

What a player! Never seen or heard of him but what a player!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

What a player! Never seen or heard of him but what a player!

Hughes has actually been talked about for a while as a next big star.

Never been too impressed with Hughes to be honest. He is decent but I just dont know if he is or can be at a level we would want and need.

If we are only buying players for the homegrown rule then stick some more academy players in. Surely last year proved they are a decent standard already. I cant believe we have to worry about homegrown as Id assume we are one of the best teams for homegrown players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

hqdefault.jpg

Do you know anything about Messi

Just because hes not good looking he doesnt get the abuse Ronaldo gets

Messi is just as arrogant as Ronaldo and Zlatan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The_Kew_Tour pulled you up on the last part of your post, but I feel compelled to pull you up on the first two, which are equally if not more ridiculous.

Never got the Mata love.

Really?

You don't understand why one of the single most ****ing interesting players in the sport of football today,who above all else genuinely cares about the history of the club he plays for, who regularly engages with his fans via a number of mediums to talk about his love for the city of Manchester and it's many interesting historical landmarks, and his love of music, vintage cars, and other sports, who writes a weekly blog allowing fans a view to his thoughts as a footballer for Manchester United and signs off with 'hugs'... Gets a lot of love?

You don't know why fans love a player who is completely and utterly adorable in his friendships with other members of the squad, and has the most calming voice ever spoken in a post match interview, and has GQ dress sense to match his perfectly groomed hair and beard in a sea of ****e haircuts and those sweatpants with a massive saggy arse, and represents Manchester United like an absolute gentleman who never speaks out in the press and actively despises the agents that are ruining the modern game?

You can't fathom why a player who above all else is a technically brilliant footballer who showcases a touch smoother than a galaxy caramel, an eye for a pass, and a tasty dead ball, who while, granted, he hasn't lived up to potenital we all believed he possessed since signing, has scored in some of our very biggest games since his arrival at the club?

Whatever about not being too high on him yourself, to say you don't understand why others have taken to him is baffling.

No significant contribution for his price tag.

Bollocks.

Firstly, we overpaid for him because we were utterly desperate having shown ourselves to be utter amateurs in the transfer market, to hold that against him is, again, baffling. We also overpaid for... The vast majority of our signings since Dwight Yorke.

And as for no significant contributions? He scored the ****ing equalising goal in an FA Cup final we went on to win in extra time not 6 weeks ago!!

He also created an unforgettable moment at Anfield with a sublime acrobatic goal, his second of the game, in a 2-1 win... Not to mention the major role he played in that purple patch of form that ensured our top 4 finish last year.

He's scored 21 Premier League goals in 86 games for us. That's a goal every four games, and then he has assists to factor in too, all the while considering that he has only played a handful of games in his best position, never playing in a system that suits his style of play.

Has he been as good as I thought he would be when he signed him? No.

Has he been a very valuable player to have these last two and a half years? Yes.

Has he been a joy to support as a fan? More than I could have ever imagined.

Did your post need such a drawn out response? No, but I haven't posted here in ages and I used to do this ****e all the time so I said **** it, don't disrespect Juan with a throwaway comment.

How do I feel about him potentially being sold? I'm fine with it. If he can't get first team football and Jose doesn't want him around, he deserves to play, I hope he goes to Real Oviedo to be totally honest but I know that's not likely.

Will I miss him if he leaves? You bet your ass I will. No other player gives back to the fans as much as he does, and no other player gives me the feeling that he genuinely cares for the history of the club, apart from Patrice Evra.

Plus he arrived to sign in a ****ing helicopter.

dcfc44c2fce17472570b638a0542a3e5.png

There aren't a lot of footballers like Juan Mata. I'm glad we have him but would wish him well if he were to move on.

Hugs,

Mikey.

I'm not gonna quote your post mikeyt but by any chance is your surname Ryan?

:):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    The_Kew_Tour pulled you up on the last part of your post, but I feel compelled to pull you up on the first two, which are equally if not more ridiculous.

Never got the Mata love.

Really?

You don't understand why one of the single most ****ing interesting players in the sport of football today,who above all else genuinely cares about the history of the club he plays for, who regularly engages with his fans via a number of mediums to talk about his love for the city of Manchester and it's many interesting historical landmarks, and his love of music, vintage cars, and other sports, who writes a weekly blog allowing fans a view to his thoughts as a footballer for Manchester United and signs off with 'hugs'... Gets a lot of love?

You don't know why fans love a player who is completely and utterly adorable in his friendships with other members of the squad, and has the most calming voice ever spoken in a post match interview, and has GQ dress sense to match his perfectly groomed hair and beard in a sea of ****e haircuts and those sweatpants with a massive saggy arse, and represents Manchester United like an absolute gentleman who never speaks out in the press and actively despises the agents that are ruining the modern game?

You can't fathom why a player who above all else is a technically brilliant footballer who showcases a touch smoother than a galaxy caramel, an eye for a pass, and a tasty dead ball, who while, granted, he hasn't lived up to potenital we all believed he possessed since signing, has scored in some of our very biggest games since his arrival at the club?

Whatever about not being too high on him yourself, to say you don't understand why others have taken to him is baffling.

No significant contribution for his price tag.

Bollocks.

Firstly, we overpaid for him because we were utterly desperate having shown ourselves to be utter amateurs in the transfer market, to hold that against him is, again, baffling. We also overpaid for... The vast majority of our signings since Dwight Yorke.

And as for no significant contributions? He scored the ****ing equalising goal in an FA Cup final we went on to win in extra time not 6 weeks ago!!

He also created an unforgettable moment at Anfield with a sublime acrobatic goal, his second of the game, in a 2-1 win... Not to mention the major role he played in that purple patch of form that ensured our top 4 finish last year.

He's scored 21 Premier League goals in 86 games for us. That's a goal every four games, and then he has assists to factor in too, all the while considering that he has only played a handful of games in his best position, never playing in a system that suits his style of play.

Has he been as good as I thought he would be when he signed him? No.

Has he been a very valuable player to have these last two and a half years? Yes.

Has he been a joy to support as a fan? More than I could have ever imagined.

Did your post need such a drawn out response? No, but I haven't posted here in ages and I used to do this ****e all the time so I said **** it, don't disrespect Juan with a throwaway comment.

How do I feel about him potentially being sold? I'm fine with it. If he can't get first team football and Jose doesn't want him around, he deserves to play, I hope he goes to Real Oviedo to be totally honest but I know that's not likely.

Will I miss him if he leaves? You bet your ass I will. No other player gives back to the fans as much as he does, and no other player gives me the feeling that he genuinely cares for the history of the club, apart from Patrice Evra.

Plus he arrived to sign in a ****ing helicopter.

dcfc44c2fce17472570b638a0542a3e5.png

There aren't a lot of footballers like Juan Mata. I'm glad we have him but would wish him well if he were to move on.

Hugs,

Mikey.

Outstanding post! Agree with this completely. I defintetly feel theres a place in this team for Mata providing Mourinho doesnt go out and sign another Number10 . He could be highly effective in behind the front 3 now that we have 2 decent wingers and a quality striker. For most of last season he was caught for pace due to being used as a winger which stunted his play significantly. I hope hes kept as we need quality in this squad and unlike last year's micro sized squad we need players that can come in and make a difference.

If he does move on I hope Pereira is given a few opportunities

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Apparantely according to Sky we are in for Hirving Lozano? Anyone watched him. This must mean Rooney will be in midfield with Ibra, Rashford, Hirving Lozano rotated. No way does Mourinho need 4 strikers surely.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Apparantely according to Sky we are in for Hirving Lozano? Anyone watched him. This must mean Rooney will be in midfield with Ibra, Rashford, Hirving Lozano rotated. No way does Mourinho need 4 strikers surely.

I'd be more inclined to think he is for the future he is 20 year old Mexican and he ain't ment to join until after the Olympics also he has played in copa america so I'd imagine he will need a lengthy brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Pheonix10 wrote: »

He's a winger anyway , more so to develop and add competition than make an immediate impact id imagine

• Basti and his knee are fooked again.
    Can't see where he fits in now. Surely extra incentive to by a strong midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Still have no idea how post pics on here but anyway dunno if this is real with Smalling. Injured surfing in Bali.

https://www.facebook.com/ManUtd.True.Red.Devils/photos/a.303359524278.148864.275722274278/10154043265764279/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Post on redcafe and reddit saying Smalling injured himself in Bali while learning how to Surf :pac: ffs there is a pic of him lying down in a neck brace and bandaged wrist signing autographs while waiting to be taking away in an ambulance..

Edit: here's a tweet

https://twitter.com/Shonywahyu11/status/749850847547256832

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

astradave wrote: »
    Post on redcafe and reddit saying Smalling injured himself in Bali while learning how to Surf :pac: ffs there is a pic of him lying down in a neck brace and bandaged wrist signing autographs while waiting to be taking away in an ambulance..

I thought he had brains, I was quite wrong

How do you know who is unhappy? Are there any rumblings about player unrest coming from the club, any quotes or sources naming players who want to leave?

Juan Mata in a nutshell. When everything is perfectly set up for him he can do well. If only he could produce a few performances when everything isn't going well then perhaps we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Still don't think we should sell though.

i dont know he is unhappy, but he surely wasnt happy when mourinho got the job.

also, you need to look further down the line, in a few months if he is getting no game time he will not be happy, so best sell now

• Advertisement

If we sign Lozano, im convinced Mkhitayran will play no10 this season

• astradave wrote: »

oh ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Do you know anything about Messi

Just because hes not good looking he doesnt get the abuse Ronaldo gets

Messi is just as arrogant as Ronaldo and Zlatan

I think to be as great as they're both are you have to be ruthless. I have an affinity towards Rolando when discussing both because of my ties with Man United but as players they're both incredible.

Ronaldo does so much off the field and doesn't strive to seek the accolades associated with his charitable nature, as does Messi.

I can forgive what they do on the field, simply because football is a sport and the aim of that sport is to win. When you're as great as they're you expect to win every-time regardless of opposition or circumstances, its a mindset you simply can't change. And for that reason I can excuse anything they do on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

bangkok wrote: »
    If we sign Lozano, im convinced Mkhitayran will play no10 this season

He is a left winger, Mkhitaryan played as right winger in many games last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Headshot wrote: »
    I thought he had brains, I was quite wrong

What the F is that about?

He gets stung by a jellyfish while suffer on holiday, therefore he is an idiot?

FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

astradave wrote: »

What does the tweet say? Sorry, but the powers that be have blocked twitter in work

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    oh ffs

Ah lads come on, he has to have a life. We can't expect people to put their lives on hold just because of their profession.

I had the same response when Rory Mcilroy injured his ankle close to the majors. Its a shame, but it was just an unlucky incident.

What does the tweet say? Sorry, but the powers that be have blocked twitter in work

Mobile phone on 4G :)

Or buy a VPN for 10 quid a year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Mobile phone on 4G :)

Or buy a VPN for 10 quid a year :)

I have a phone but unfortunately I can't check it, some of us have to pretend we're working :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It's in a foreign language anyways but it has a picture of him lying in a neck brace signing an autograph.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    He is a left winger, Mkhitaryan played as right winger in many games last season.

he is right footed, can play anywhere in the forward positions.

our team will be built to suit mkhitaryan i believe

Ibrahimovic

Martial
    Mkhitarya
    Lozano/Rashford

that front 3 behind Ibra.......Fast young players, cant wait for next season

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement