Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

How great was it to see Shaw ripping down the wing? Seems to have lost none of his pace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Would like to see schneiderlin fellaini and pogba in midfield.

Pogba just infront of the other 2

Scrap Rooney

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Mata was subbed because he was the smallest player on the pitch......

Mourihno said he was time wasting and had to bring off the smallest player

Wait, our manager actually was reacting to what was happening on the field? This sadly is not something I'm used to :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Always great to start the season with a trophy and it was a fine goal from Lingard to get the ball rolling. You also really couldn't ask for more to see Lord Zlatan getting the winner. Bailly impressed me with his composure & presence and hopefully he will develop into the dominant CB we need. My only gripes are - @ the 81 minute mark, Rojo was poor yet again with another aerial ball and completely lost Musa who should have buried it. Rooney's touch was also quite poor and he seems to be picking up where he left off during the Euros. But that aside, there's a trophy in the bag and it's a good platform to build on for the season ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

How much taller is Henrikh?

Baffling excuse really with a minute to go.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Wait, our manager actually was reacting to what was happening on the field? This sadly is not something I'm used to :pac:

He was also standing on the sidelines & showing some interest for the entire game. Which was a bit of a shock for me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Apparently he is 7cms taller or 2.8 inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Obvious dig at Mata imo, Jose is relentless. Thought Bailly was very good today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Well he said that wanted to use all his subs and winding down the clock as well.. he wasn't going to take off any of the tall players when they are launching balls into the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Mata taken off because he is too short to handle the long balls for the last few minutes.

Not sure how I feel about that. Kind of embarrassing and upsetting for Mata.

Not an issue Mata looked happy out when he came off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

He was also standing on the sidelines & showing some interest for the entire game. Which was a bit of a shock for me really.

I know. **** me, his arms came above his elbows sometimes! Was a bit shocking. :P

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I know. **** me, his arms came above his elbows sometimes! Was a bit shocking. :P

1456721656_louis-van-gaal.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Mata taken off because he is too short to handle the long balls for the last few minutes.

Not sure how I feel about that. Kind of embarrassing and upsetting for Mata.

After 3 years of Moyes & LVG substitutions I can go with Jose's logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

TheDoc wrote: »
    That guy makes the most hair raising videos, so good.

You might like the prodigal son video then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

https://twitter.com/Darmianology/status/762340428972691456/video/1

Clears it all up really. Media need a new story now Pogba's done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

TheTownie wrote: »
    You might like the prodigal son video then :)

Goosebumps :D

3Rcv9.jpg

• https://twitter.com/Darmianology/status/762340428972691456/video/1

Clears it all up really. Media need a new story now Pogba's done.

I can predict The Daily Fails next headline.

"Jose the Chopper!"

"Juan Mata to be axed as he was snubbed by Jose in the Charity Shield"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Fellaini shows again that he is a very handy player to have in the team. He may not be a Pogba but in his elbows role he is perfect as he wont give up trying.

• Adamocovic wrote: »
    3Rcv9.jpg

Why Blonde hair mixed with Black hair :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Fellaini shows again that he is a very handy player to have in the team. He may not be a Pogba but in his elbows role he is perfect as he wont give up trying.

Nice assist for Leicester's goal too.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Why Blonde hair mixed with Black hair :P

That's actually the hair from the official poster, I didn't do anything to it.

It would suit Jose though ;)

Adamocovic wrote: »
    1456721656_louis-van-gaal.jpg

That photo probably captured his best moment at United. But as Jose said, let's move on, we really don't want to dwell on the last three seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Nice touch from Jose for thanking LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

gLGcASe.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nice touch from Jose for thanking LVG.

No no no no he is classless our manager is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That's zlatan to a T tho

Does **** all for 80 minutes
    Turns around and scored the winner

Football is set up to be like that.

Its 11 v 11 with the bulk of the side set up to protect the goal, most attacks will break down.

Football is overexposed now and most of us grew up (mainly) watching highlight shows that overstated the actual success of attacks over 90 minutes.

I often find myself wondering if my expectations are unrealistic when watching a match, especially when its United, I am focusing on the side I follow and ignoring the quality of the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Mata does look a bit upset in some of these pics: http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/07/manchester-united-boss-jose-mourinho-fuels-juan-mata-transfer-rumours-by-subbing-him-on-and-then-off-v-leicester-city-6053605/

Hopefully it is nothing, and not the start of something bigger.

Great win today!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

I suspect Mourinho knows Rooney has declined but doesn't want to rock the boat so early into his united career. I suspect Pogba will be played to his strengths and as a very attacking midfielder with 2 more physical guys behind , this spells bad news for Rooney. I would like to see us sign another centre back so that Blind could be rotated with Carrick. Theres alot of competition for that other midfield slot with Fellaini, Schneiderlin and Herrera vying for 1 spot, I think we have so many midfielders that we will be playing 3 in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Pogba should be playing exactly where Rooney is imo. He played a deeper role with France and was pretty awful tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

pogba is sh!t :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

never caught the game today, how did Rooney play? Realy think now the time has come for him to step back and be a bit part player

scudzilla wrote: »
    never caught the game today, how did Rooney play? Realy think now the time has come for him to step back and be a bit part player

Wasn't great but had some good moments, not the worst player on the pitch in a United jersey.

Lingard, Bailly and Fellaini (bar one big blunder) all had good games.

pudzey101 wrote: »

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

pogba is sh!t hot :D

Fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Wasn't great but had some good moments, not the worst player on the pitch in a United jersey.

Lingard, Bailly and Fellaini (bar one big blunder) all had good games.

I thought he was. His touch and passing were atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Samuel Luckhurst from MEN saying Mata had to be restrained, looks livid

CpRfi0CWgAAxBMK.jpg:large
    They live footage looked a little odd when he was subbed off. It definitely wasn't a routine switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

jayo26 wrote: »
    No no no no he is classless our manager is.

There's plenty to back up that sentiment. But sure... Jose is a classy guy. One of the greatest managers who's ever lived and almost certain to be a big success but anyone who doesn't think he's odious is someone with a bad judge of character.

People give out about how deep Rooney plays but personally think it's the way it is normally setup due to the fact that Carrick and Fellaini etc in the centre aren't going to be venturing forward too much.

Everyone is saying they want Pogba in where Rooney is playing, and he is talented and would do a good job there but I'm also interested in seeing him in the centre with Rooney and Zlatan both higher up. He is able to offer more attacking prowess and key passing than our other options which will help them a lot.

Even in the two preseason games we saw both Zlatan and Rooney taking turns going deep for the ball while the other is higher up, we saw that again today. Their heat maps for the match are nearly identical.

Here is Rooneys:

3BKcsKy.png

And here is Zlatans:

dFEWV0X.png

Even looking at Fellaini and Carrick we can see how deep they tend to be:

EEiY8sn.png

Now maybe Mourinho intends this to continue but if Pogba was playing where either Carrick and Fellaini are I can imagine he would contribute more in the ball going forward which would help Zlatan and Rooney or whoever else is playing there and resulting in them not having to drop deep and so more men in the final third.

Only my opinions however and I'm open to other peoples opinions on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Fair player but in no way worth >100 mil :D:D dont know how ya can class a player From £1.5m to £89m in four years hahahahaha

Pogba is Fat

I thought he was. His touch and passing were atrocious.

Well it's down to opinions really. I do believe that Rooneys mistakes and errors are judged more critically than other players.

If I was to pick the worse player in my eyes it would be Martial, as much as I love him, he wasn't even in the game at all, was poorer at passing and didn't contribute much in terms to dribbles. Lingard was the complete opposite, great precision in passing and took players on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

800,000 - 89,000,000 to be fair.

You don't know how to class a player from 1.5 to 89 in four years though? Yep that makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Now the real question, he has gone from sh!t to fair in two posts, how many till he becomes a top player, and will he ever get to be a top, top player in your posts?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Incoming...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Well it's down to opinions really. I do believe that Rooneys mistakes and errors are judged more critically than other players.

If I was to pick the worse player in my eyes it would be Martial, as much as I love him, he wasn't even in the game at all, was poorer at passing and didn't contribute much in terms to dribbles. Lingard was the complete opposite, great precision in passing and took players on.

Yeah because he's got higher standards to adhere to than most. I don't know of any other player in the bracket that he is supposed to be in that plays as consistently terrible and takes so long to get up to speed.

• Advertisement

Fair player but in no way worth >100 mil :D:D dont know how ya can class a player From £1.5m to £89m in four years hahahahaha

Nice try

430.gif

Big dig at Barca by Zlatan here, claiming that this is the biggest club he's ever played for and the only other club he can compare it with is Milan , LOL

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/zlatan-ibrahimovic-says-manchester-united-8583138

Yeah because he's got higher standards to adhere to than most. I don't know of any other player in the bracket that he is supposed to be in that plays as consistently terrible and takes so long to get up to speed.

I've already said earlier today that I'm going to refrain from getting in debates over players, particularly Rooney.

I've said a lot about Rooney in the past here and heard enough from the opposite view too. There's nothing either of us can say on both sides of our arguments that will be new or change anyone elses opinions, only reaffirm our own.

Anything I'm really talking about in terms of Rooney or any other player will be based on this match and the current season, not a grand overall scheme debate, and I've already said really all there is for me to say about his performance and the performance of the rest of the team today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The concern with Rooney is that he may be in serious decline and to many eyes it looks like he has.

He actually looks like he has never played football before at times in nearly every game.

If Rooney had been playing well and just happens to have a bad game or two people wouldn't point it out as much. It's a frustration of numerous really poor performances.

He looks finished to me, or at least not good enough for Utd any more.

I honestly think the club would be better, from a footballing sense at least, moving on from the Rooney era.

I would guess that it will happen next summer if Jose is still around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

+1

The excuse will probably be The Euros,usually it's "he was injured and takes games to get fit" or "he takes a bit of time after the Summer to get up to speed" which these days never seems to happen.
    His touch today was atrocious and his passing and awareness were almost at a similar level.For somebody who wants to dictate 90%+ of our play that is not acceptable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement