Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

zerks wrote: »
    All get criticism,Martial was poor today but at least he tried.Rooney is top dog at the club on the highest wages yet has declined so much you begin to forget that he used to be a good player.Those who command the most recognition and wages must reach certain standards no matter their job,alas Rooney is no longer up to the task.
    We laughed at Liverpool and Gerrard when they kept him for too long yet we are doing the same with Rooney.

Worst is too at 27/28/29 its been getting worse and worse this should have been Rooneys prime, Hope he proves us all wrong and produces something but we've been saying that for 3 seasons now how much more chances does he get

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Whataboutery doesn't really make Rooney any better though. Mata and Herrera have not hit the heights expected of them and I wouldn't be crying if either were sold (although I suspect that mata would suddenly rediscover his form elsewhere, just a gut feeling). Martial hasn't been great for about 3 months, but to be expected for somebody his age. None of this really changed Rooney's actual form though and the expectation that our marquee player should be doing marquee things. If he isn't, why wouldn't we get another marquee player that we pay 300k a week to instead of persisting with him? It's what he would have done had we no paid him enough, or been in the running for titles, so what's good for the goose and all.

Mata has never been played in his proper position, Herrera and Schneiderlin had their natural instincts coached out of them by LVG plus have never been given a proper run in the team. Rooneys been plying ****e for years but is never dropped, his misgivings have been overlooked for too long

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

All get criticism,Martial was poor today but at least he tried.Rooney is top dog at the club on the highest wages yet has declined so much you begin to forget that he used to be a good player.Those who command the most recognition and wages must reach certain standards no matter their job,alas Rooney is no longer up to the task.
    We laughed at Liverpool and Gerrard when they kept him for too long yet we are doing the same with Rooney.

So Rooney didn't try today? How does he command the most recognition? If anything he keeps a relatively low profile.

• Jose has confirmed that Pogba will play as a 6, he said we have plenty of 10's but needed a strong player that can play deeper which seems to be it will be him and 1 other midfielder, that other midfielder isnt set in stone because there are question marks over all the other midfielders at the club, none out of Carrick, Schneiderlin, Herrera or Fellaini has a place rubber stamped in the team, Cant see it being Herrera for sure
    What a waist of his talent if this is the case that he's playing a deeper role.
    Pogba is a ball carrier in CM who can score goals. Scholes like. But doesn't mean he's a number 10 either.
    Rooney has supposedly been playing that role but is failing.
    Also when has Jose confirmed this? Source?
    We have enough of players who can play the deeper role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

So Rooney didn't try today? How does he command the most recognition? If anything he keeps a relatively low profile.

As captain, you shouldn't be keeping a low profile

I believe Rooney will be fazed out the second half of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Rooney on the pitch isn't going to work

FYP :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Worst is too at 27/28/29 its been getting worse and worse this should have been Rooneys prime, Hope he proves us all wrong and produces something but we've been saying that for 3 seasons now how much more chances does he get

Rooneys been playing professionally since he was 16, he may be only 30 but to be playing that long takes its toll on the body, plus he already had a mans physique at 16 so I reckon genetically hes more like a man that's 35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Rooneys been playing professionally since he was 16, he may be only 30 but to be playing that long takes its toll on the body, plus he already had a mans physique at 16 so I reckon genetically hes more like a man that's 35

Ah so that's why he was riding grannies as a teen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

When do people think Pogba will make his debut?

Would love to see him playing against Bournemouth but cant see it happening. He'll probably just be brought out with the usual applause from crowd and introduction stuff rather than togging out and playing. Hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Adamocovic wrote:

Home to Southampton in some capacity is my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

adox wrote: »
    He looks finished to me, or at least not good enough for Utd any more.

I honestly think the club would be better, from a footballing sense at least, moving on from the Rooney era.

I would guess that it will happen next summer if Jose is still around.

The writing was on the wall when Sir Alex decided it was time to move Rooney on in 2013 .He could see that Rooney was a spent force and no longer worth his place in the team.
    Ferguson nearly always got it right when knowing a player was past it.
    Utd would have received a big fee from PSG or Chelsea then ,30-40m pounds.

That was the time to offload Rooney and the guy deserved to be booted out of the club for his treacherous contract behaviour anyway .

Instead Moyes and Woodward daftly gave him a huge new contract and made him captain .

Rooney is finished ,he has been for a number of years.
    If he were a horse he'd have been shot by now .

England were playing well without him in the side when he was injured and Hodgson like Moyes wilted under pressure to include Rooney despite it completely destabilizing the side.He is completely toxic .

Utd should get rid of him now ,they wont get much for him ,who would take him ,maybe the MLS .
    Instead he his get first team football under Mourinho and he will continue to be a liability .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

36F8F53400000578-3728057-image-a-72_1470589184110.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What a waist of his talent if this is the case that he's playing a deeper role.
    Pogba is a ball carrier in CM who can score goals. Scholes like. But doesn't mean he's a number 10 either.
    Rooney has supposedly been playing that role but is failing.
    Also when has Jose confirmed this? Source?
    We have enough of players who can play the deeper role.

Pogba wouldnt be a 6 in the way that LVG uses a 6. Its not as rigid a system. I havent seen anything to say that Jose sees him as a 6 anyways. I think Pogba will be the 8 in the system. The box to box role. Basically what Fellaini played today but with more of an attacking threat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Adamocovic wrote: »

Would love to see him playing against Bournemouth but cant see it happening. He'll probably just be brought out with the usual applause from crowd and introduction stuff rather than togging out and playing. Hope I'm wrong though.

I think he will either come off the bench for the last 10min v Bournemouth or play the second half v Southampton

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Home to Southampton in some capacity is my guess.

Yeah think so too. Get a bit of game time before the Derby :P

Adamocovic wrote: »

We are away to Bournemouth.. i cant see him travelling though Jose said he followed him on Instagram and knows that he keeps himself fit so if he does travel he might make a 10/15 mins cameo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Pogba has to get his 'match rhythm' before making debut :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Adamocovic wrote:
    Yeah think so too. Get a bit of game time before the Derby

Yea, he'll need match fitness if he's gonna get the hat-trick :)

astradave wrote: »
    We are away to Bournemouth.. i cant see him travelling though Jose said he followed him on Instagram and knows that he keeps himself fit so if he does travel he might make a 10/15 mins cameo

Silly me, don't know why in my head I thought we were at home against Bournemouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Danny Murphy's commentary on MOTD was insufferable. So obviously biased against United.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

KH25 wrote: »
    Danny Murphy's commentary on MOTD was insufferable. So obviously biased against United.

No different to McManaman on the live game.

Whenever he's forced to say something good about us it sounds like it's painful for him to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

The jealousy off him is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

mewe wrote: »
    The jealousy off him is hilarious.

It's sad. Listen to him talking about Mata's sub: completely sensationalist. Compare that to Schwarzer who was completely balanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Absolutely bizzare opinion he spouted on the Mata sub.

It's Mourhinos way of telling Mata and everyone watching that Mata is not part of his plans and won't be with Utd come September.

I think you will find Danny that players that aren't part of his plans are in his squads, never mind getting minutes at Wembley.

I don't usually mind him too much but he was insufferable tonight.

• astradave wrote: »
    Pogba wouldnt be a 6 in the way that LVG uses a 6. Its not as rigid a system. I havent seen anything to say that Jose sees him as a 6 anyways. I think Pogba will be the 8 in the system. The box to box role. Basically what Fellaini played today but with more of an attacking threat..

This is a fair point but I don't believe Fellaini should be the one to get the chop.
    This is all in the sense that it's a midfield trio.
    It's amazing that Rooney is the elephant in the room.
    Also Carrick should only be backup at this stage of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mkhitaryan must have not settled yet strange that he barely featured. I hope he is a Kagawa 2.0.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Mkhitaryan must have not settled yet strange that he barely featured. I hope he is a Kagawa 2.0.

I'd say he will be gone come September too.

Jose said he was giving more mins to the players that got them to the community shield by winning the FA Cup so it was obvious that he wasn't going to play much. Ibra was always going to start and with Smalling out so was Bailly. Lingard scored the winner in the FA Cup so he was always going to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yet he predicted that the title will be completed by yourselves, Man City and Chelsea. Says Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs will be fighting for fourth and Leicester will be doing well to finish 7th, so he's not that biased against Man Utd.

But I do agree his commentary is insufferable though.

This is a fair point but I don't believe Fellaini should be the one to get the chop.
    This is all in the sense that it's a midfield trio.
    It's amazing that Rooney is the elephant in the room.
    Also Carrick should only be backup at this stage of his career.

I can see Fellaini being back up to Pogba and schneiderlin pushing his way ahead of Carrick. The CM players there are nearly all 2 way players apart from Carrick. So when one goes forward the other will sit. Herrera seems that he can play in any of the 3 positions which will be good for the Squad.

English media won't criticise him but seemingly the commentators on Talksport were saying how poor his touch was.
    The one saving grace this season is that we have plenty who can play in his position.

At one stage during the game Fellaini (in the box defender in front of him and to the side of the goal) passed back to Rooney free on the edge of the box he hit a weak shot which was saved and they had a go at Fellaini saying he was in the better position to shoot :rolleyes::confused::confused::confused:

At one stage during the game Fellaini (in the box defender in front of him and to the side of the goal) passed back to Rooney free on the edge of the box he hit a weak shot which was saved and they had a go at Fellaini saying he was in the better position to shoot :rolleyes::confused::confused::confused:

Our mate Danny said that Fellaini put too much pace on the pass for Rooney!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

He was in a better position to play a more dangerous ball across the goal rather than play it back to Rooney on his weaker leg. But since Rooney is the captain and highest paid I suppose he's not allowed to have a weaker leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

A. He was in a better position to play a more dangerous ball across the goal rather than play it back to Rooney on his weaker leg. B. But since Rooney is the captain and highest paid I suppose he's not allowed to have a weaker leg.

A. That's not what was said was it?
    B. That's also not been said.

I have a feeling I know where you got your nickname ;)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What we didn't see is him hitting Mourinho in the back with the shield like a steel chair.

A. That's not what was said was it?
    B. That's also not been said.

I have a feeling I know where you got your nickname ;)

I was making my own points actually. Good joke about my username - I wonder what the topic of conversation will be on here tomorrow and during the rest of the week and season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I was making my own points actually. Good joke about my username - I wonder what the topic of conversation will be on here tomorrow and during the rest of the week and season.

1. Pogba's medical
    2. Fellaini's hair
    3. Carrick being over the hill
    4. Rooney being out of form
    5. Martial having a rough time lately
    6. Pogba not as good as Fellaini
    7. Ibra is some bai, boi
    8. Jose being classy/classless
    9. Jones is a crock
    10. Tony F-kin Valencia

That will take up a far amount of the season I'd say.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/762393422229405696

In January, Paul Pogba was the youngest player since Lionel Messi in 2009 to be named in FIFPro's Team of the Year.

• Advertisement

1. Pogba's medical
    2. Fellaini's hair
    3. Carrick being over the hill
    4. Rooney being out of form
    5. Martial having a rough time lately
    6. Pogba not as good as Fellaini
    7. Ibra is some bai, boi
    8. Jose being classy/classless
    9. Jones is a crock
    10. Tony F-kin Valencia

That will take up a far amount of the season I'd say.

He'll come good yet!

tumblr_mhm984aR5W1s1wblho1_400.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Glory glory Man Utd..... We are back mother ****ers!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

raw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

raw

I wonder when Pogba is going to pull out of this United deal and sign his new, bumper contract at Juve? He's leaving it late, if he's not careful he may end up playing for United this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Ugh #pogback
    What a corny hash tag
    #musttryharder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

brinty wrote: »
    Ugh #pogback
    What a corny hash tag
    #musttryharder

I though that too. I thought the club using it was a bit cringe, along with #Zlatantime.:)

• Tbf it's caught the attention regardless of it being cringe or not.
    Clever marketing IMO

Other news: Oh how I predicted it lol what a joke
    Even Jose clearly explained it was purely tactical and tbf made sense. He wanted to make sure there was enough height in the box when the balls were being lobbed into the box towards the end of the match.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/697561/Jose-Mourinho-furious-bust-up-Man-Utd-Juan-Mata-MUFC-News

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

adox wrote: »
    Our mate Danny said that Fellaini put too much pace on the pass for Rooney!!!

He said that and then I thought ok maybe it was quick or the ball was raised off the grass. Saw the replay and the ball is on the floor at nice pace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Tbf it's caught the attention regardless of it being cringe or not.
    Clever marketing IMO

Other news: Oh how I predicted it lol what a joke
    Even Jose clearly explained it was purely tactical and tbf made sense. He wanted to make sure there was enough height in the box when the balls were being lobbed into the box towards the end of the match.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/697561/Jose-Mourinho-furious-bust-up-Man-Utd-Juan-Mata-MUFC-News

This is true and obviously it's all about grabbing attention and marketing as it's a massive transfer.

Regarding Mata, the press were always gonna make a big deal of it. I hope José's explanation was actually the reason, I'm sure it was. I thought they were laughing and joking afterwards too. How sensationalist saying Mata had to be restrained lol! Surely if José didn't want him he either a) wouldn't have had him in the squad in the first place and b) wouldn't have subbed him in the first place when Lingard went off.

Only time will tell, although I wouldn't be surprised now to see him being sold. I do think Rooney wasn't great yesterday and his passing was totally off. I think Mata or Mkhitaryan would make a better #10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Some interesting points by Kevin Palmer in the Indo. I also particularly like the way he tries to deflect from the journalists lack of inside info in Ireland and the UK.

However hs points on how the transfer is justified are quite good.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/manchester-united/kevin-palmer-why-manchester-united-believe-paul-pogba-is-worth-110m-34945959.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement