Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I though that too. I thought the club using it was a bit cringe, along with #Zlatantime.:)

I think it appeals to the younger more Social media crazy generation, not calling you old or anything :pac: Just what I think it's aimed at..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Some interesting points by Kevin Palmer in the Indo. I also particularly like the way he tries to deflect from the journalists lack of inside info in Ireland and the UK.

However hs points on how the transfer is justified are quite good.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/manchester-united/kevin-palmer-why-manchester-united-believe-paul-pogba-is-worth-110m-34945959.html

We needed a world class midfielder.

We have the money.

No other justification needed tbh.

We needed a world class midfielder.

We have the money.

No other justification needed tbh.

100% agree.. that's all there is to it. Obviously now that the saga is over the media are fecked as there is nothing big to report. It's why the sensationalism over Mata came about.

I don't particularly have much time for Palmer as a journalist either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

astradave wrote: »
    I think it appeals to the younger more Social media crazy generation, not calling you old or anything :pac: Just what I think it's aimed at..

Yeah probably! I'm not down with the kids and their facebook and twitter machines :pac: We're probably around the same age dave :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Anyone know if the 89 mil pounds fee includes agents fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the 89 mil pounds fee includes agents fee?

Anyone care??? Only people that will worry about that are fans of other clubs looking for an angle to get a dig in.

I'd imagine it will be 89 million plus fees and juventus pay half the fees or something like that I don't think the club will come out and disclose the fees to media.

• He's in the air!

Expect some photos soon when he lands in Manchester ;)

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's in the air!

Expect some photos soon when he lands in Manchester ;)

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/762567025889779712

Left nice at 10.15 Italian time DiMarzio saying v about 12 he will get to manchester

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Flight tracker time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I only saw the highlights on MOTD, I thought Rooney played ok in the bits shown, no worse than many others, did well for Lingards goal, some nice touches, seemed like the teams performance was pretty meh...you would swear he was complete cack the way it's been reported here.
    I did get a stream for a time yesterday and he did have one horrible miscontrol alright but so did many others.
    Martial seemed to be pretty ineffective yet there isn't a peep.

Rooney still has lots to offer. I'm certain of it.

Fellaini seemed to play well, he could be a Mourinho player, bringing that bit of physicality. He was unlucky for the goal, looked like there was a flippin puddle at Wembley to be fair to him.

Valencia is doing well, a good direct attacking full back, he should be judged as such...not as the tricky right winger some want him to be.

From the highlights at least I could not understand Bailly getting motm, seems to be very rash, I can see him getting a few reds and costing a few goals. He wouldn't fill me with confidence now straight off the bat, but he obviously has potential and lets see him develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/762567025889779712

Left nice at 10.15 Italian time DiMarzio saying v about 12 he will get to manchester

12 Italian time or British time :)

• ericzeking wrote: »
    I only saw the highlights on MOTD, I thought Rooney played ok in the bits shown, no worse than many others, did well for Lingards goal, some nice touches, seemed like the teams performance was pretty meh...you would swear he was complete cack the way it's been reported here.
    I did get a stream for a time yesterday and he did have one horrible miscontrol alright but so did many others.

Fellaini seemed to play well, he could be a Mourinho player, bringing that bit of physicality. He was unlucky for the goal, looked like there was a flippin puddle at Wembley to be fair to him.

Valencia is doing well, a good direct attacking full back, he should be judged as such...not as the tricky right winger some want him to be.

From the highlights at least I could not understand Bailly getting motm, seems to be very rash, I can see him getting a few reds and costing a few goals. He wouldn't fill me with confidence now straight off the bat, but he obviously has potential and lets see him develop.

Waaa?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

All I can think of when some of the lads aren't up to date with the latest social media trends on this forum :D

0cf9c1f320c8327ce274a3038bb372de.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Hococop wrote: »
    All I can think of when some of the lads aren't up to date with the latest social media trends on this forum :D

0cf9c1f320c8327ce274a3038bb372de.jpg

Who is he? Was he in Top Cat?

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    12 Italian time or British time :)

British time.. he is reporting 1pm CEST.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

ericzeking wrote: »

There is but people are capable of seeing that Marital is at the beginning of his career and a possible one for the future. We have already seen what Rooney can do so any departure from that is seen as a potential sign of a permanent drop in quality. As his fall off continues across the last few seasons it is becoming clear that this is not just a temporary blip.

Care to elaborate? What does he have to offer than we cannot get from other players? And why are you certain of it? All the evidence points to him having entered into a downward spiral. The only argument is how quickly the spiral will happen.

There wasn't a puddle it only looked that way because he made such a mess of it. That is not unlucky. You have created a pitch issue to give try to argue that it was beyond his control. Even if there had been a puddle, as a player he should be aware of it and not play a weak pass into the middle of it. It looked like there was a puddle simply because the pass so so woeful, both in terms of the decision to make it at all, and then the terrible application of the skills required. I have heard some silly justifications of bad play before but this is one of the best.

MOTM awards are nearly always open to interpretation and in this case the fact it was his 1st competitive game seems to have played its part. But he did very well and certainly had to be considered for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Leroy42 wrote: »
    There is but people are capable of seeing that Marital is at the beginning of his career and a possible one for the future. We have already seen what Rooney can do so any departure from that is seen as a potential sign of a permanent drop in quality. As his fall off continues across the last few seasons it is becoming clear that this is not just a temporary blip.

Care to elaborate? What does he have to offer than we cannot get from other players? And why are you certain of it? All the evidence points to him having entered into a downward spiral. The only argument is how quickly the spiral will happen.

There wasn't a puddle it only looked that way because he made such a mess of it. That is not unlucky. You have created a pitch issue to give try to argue that it was beyond his control. Even if there had been a puddle, as a player he should be aware of it and not play a weak pass into the middle of it. It looked like there was a puddle simply because the pass so so woeful, both in terms of the decision to make it at all, and then the terrible application of the skills required. I have heard some silly justifications of bad play before but this is one of the best.

MOTM awards are nearly always open to interpretation and in this case the fact it was his 1st competitive game seems to have played its part. But he did very well and certainly had to be considered for it.

This, this right here. Rooney has been on a downward spiral for 3 years and we are still hearing that 'he can offer something'. It is becoming tiresome at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ed standing in the airport holding up a sign with Pogba's name on it

Sign is sponsored by Hunky Dorys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Ed standing in the airport holding up a sign with Pogba's name on it

Sign is sponsored by Hunky Dorys

He somehow got 89m out of Hunky Dorys for that. Free Transfer, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

edgecutter wrote: »
    This, this right here. Rooney has been on a downward spiral for 3 years and we are still hearing that 'he can offer something'. It is becoming tiresome at this stage.

He offered something in the FA cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

going into any given game, are you confident Rooney will be one of the players to dominate the game? Or even give an 8 out of 10 performance?

going into any given game, are you confident Rooney will be one of the players to dominate the game? Or even give an 8 out of 10 performance?

After the last 3 years, I am not confident of any United player doing this.

There are very few that are arguing that he offers nothing, but do his offers negate the negatives? Could what he offers now be given by another player who wouldn't also carry the baggage of the negatives?

In the likes of Ibra etc you can accept the non performance aspects of their play by the effect they can have, in his case yesterday was largely irrelevant save for the goal, but the goal is more than enough.

Rooney used to be able to offer that, but he no longer seems capable at the standard required. Do people really think that Rooney is any longer a game changer? We have all played on teams where the 'star' basically swans about most of the game, not tracking back, trying silly passes and stunts, but you are hoping that when the chance comes they will take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MD1990 wrote: »
    Mkhitaryan must have not settled yet strange that he barely featured. I hope he is a Kagawa 2.0.

Mourinho in the prematch MUTV exclusive interview outlined his starting lineup was to respect those that won the FA Cup, and it not reflective of his plans for the opening game against Bournemouth. Which was somewhat fair enough.

After the last 3 years, I am not confident of any United player doing this.

Nonsense. Martial has done it, DDG has done it, Smalling has done it, even Rooney, rarely, has shown glimpses of it. But overall his play is so poor, he seems to be have a negative effect on the team.

IMO the last three years have actually suited him as the play was slower and less risky. It will be telling whether he can now adapt to, what I hope at least, will be the change to a faster attack, requiring quicker recycling of the ball and better delivery and close control.

I am not sure that Rooney any longer has the required level to manage this. Nothing in the last few years points to that being possible.

He is getting older (just a fact not a fault)
    He has always gone through lean periods during every season but in the past has been able to bounce back but it appears that the lean periods are getting both longer and deeper.
    Taking him way from the MU environment and putting him into the England team setting (so way from the LVG effect) sees no discernible increase in his quality so I would wager that whilst LVG has something to do with it it is also clear that Rooney has simply dropped a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Mkhitaryan will get plenty of game time this season. Mourinho wouldn't have brought him in if he wasn't going to.

The lad can play on the right, on the left and in the middle of attacking midfielders. There will be plenty of opportunities for him. All this talk of not being settled and Kagawa etc are all premature in my eyes.

• TheDoc wrote: »
    Mourinho in the prematch MUTV exclusive interview outlined his starting lineup was to respect those that won the FA Cup, and it not reflective of his plans for the opening game against Bournemouth. Which was somewhat fair enough.

It's obvious that's not the angle of his post
    It sounds like he's a tad bit upset that we signed him
    Superior to Mane and the better deal too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Nonsense. Martial has done it, DDG has done it, Smalling has done it, even Rooney, rarely, has shown glimpses of it. But overall his play is so poor, he seems to be have a negative effect on the team.

IMO the last three years have actually suited him as the play was slower and less risky. It will be telling whether he can now adapt to, what I hope at least, will be the change to a faster attack, requiring quicker recycling of the ball and better delivery and close control.

I am not sure that Rooney any longer has the required level to manage this. Nothing in the last few years points to that being possible.

He has always gone through lean periods during every season but in the past has been able to bounce back but it appears that the lean periods are getting both longer and deeper.
    Taking him way from the MU environment and putting him into the England team setting (so way from the LVG effect) sees no discernible increase in his quality so I would wager that whilst LVG has something to do with it it is also clear that Rooney has simply dropped a level.

When did United playing a slow paced game ever suit Rooney?

He was at his best when United used width, got bodies forward and where possible used the counter attack. When he played with people like Ronaldo, Tevez, Valencia and RVP he was at his best. Where he was one of the most advanced players in the side and people were running off him.

The slower play has seen him drop deeper and deeper to get possession and try to make something happen. It never suited him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Mkhitaryan will get plenty of game time this season. Mourinho wouldn't have brought him in if he wasn't going to.

The lad can play on the right, on the left and in the middle of attacking midfielders. There will be plenty of opportunities for him. All this talk of not being settled and Kagawa etc are all premature in my eyes.

It's worth noting that it was a Liverpool fan showing his concern so I don't think anyone here is too worried about him.

I wonder how we will line up next week, I would expect Ibrahimovic as main striker with Rooney behind and Martial and Mkhitaryan either side of him.

Don't know if it's been posted yet, and sorry if it has but here's Mourinhos take on the Pogba deal.
    "I don't think Real Madrid were upset when they broke the record with Gareth Bale. I don't think it is a reason to be sad," he said. "It is a reason to be proud with the dimension of the club that can do that and can attract players of this dimension.

"If you ask me if I think it is a lot of money, I think football is crazy, the market has become crazy.

"What you think this season is crazy you realise three years later is not crazy anymore. I think there are players who cost £10m who are super expensive because they are players £400,000 or £500,000 or £1m so what is expensive and not expensive in football? I don't know anymore.

"I just know he is a big player that is going, for sure, to be important for a big club like Man United."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

It's become the done thing here to criticise him, where every mistake is magnified and every good piece of play is glossed over.

Without his savage piece of tracking back to clear off the line vs Everton in the semi final, or his driving run to create the goal against Palace, we wouldn't have won anything last season. Since he was dropped against Stoke away on Stephen's day, his form has definitely improved for us.

If Rooney doesn't perform, Mourinho will ditch him pretty quickly. He won't play Rooney if it puts the team at risk of not winning matches & trophies. Especially so, given that Pogba and Mkhitaryan are world class alternatives at #10.

I don't see why people are getting upset about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think he will play where and like Jesse yesterday. Starting position is right side but will roam to find space and link up with the other attackers.

But yes, he is going to be an important player, he was specifically named as the creative player when Jose listed what he wanted/brought in.

It's worth noting that it was a Liverpool fan showing his concern so I don't think anyone here is too worried about him.

I wonder how we will line up next week, I would expect Ibrahimovic as main striker with Rooney behind and Martial and Mkhitaryan either side of him.

Hard to know, I wouldn't be too surprised if Lingard kept his place. Next match can't come soon enough anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Been on hols lads.

I want to apologise for my negativity towards the Pogba transfer. Didn't think it would happen.

Blow me, was I wrong about that one!!! Megalolz.

I'm sure I'll get the next non-transfer right.

#pogback
    #whatisapogback
    #futureguyliveson

Yes they have done it, but you asked me if I was confident of Rooney dominating a match and putting in 8/10 before any given game. There isn't one United player at the moment I would be confident of dominating any given game. The only reason de Gea would dominate a game is if United are getting played off the park (presumably Rooney's fault for not holding his teammates hands as captain). Would you like to tell me what players you are confident will dominate the game against Bournemouth this weekend? A tie that we lost last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Don't know if it's been posted yet, and sorry if it has but here's Mourinhos take on the Pogba deal.

Agree completely. Money in football is getting crazier every year. Last summer we splashed 50 or so million on a player very few people had even heard of. Higuain just went to Juve for 70 ish million!!!

Why should it matter how much money it takes to bring a player. With how the game is progressing business wise, what seems crazy now will probably be the norm in like 5 years time.

For a club like United, who gives a crap how much we spend and what records we break. Its not something to get upset about or nervous about. Money grows on trees in United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

#WellDoneFutureGuy

bangkok wrote: »
    Glory glory Man Utd..... We are back mother ****ers!!!!!

Lets not get carried away,remember this!

david-moyes_2641120b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Re Pogba

The fee will be 105m euros, or £89m.

(It would have worked out at £80.7m the day before Britain voted to leave the European Union.)

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Lets not get carried away,remember this!

david-moyes_2641120b.jpg

The only two similarities I can find between the situation Moyes had and the current one Mourinho has is the fact that they both won the Community Shield in their first competitive game and both still had their own hair.

I wouldn't be using either similarities as an omen to come, you might as well show a picture of Fergie holding the Shield and say "we're going to win the league, remember this"

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/squawkanews/status/762603524827918336

Graeme Souness on Paul Pogba: "I don't see him changing that many games."

Oops he did it again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

^^ Surprise surprise. Now that we have copped Pogba, watch opposition fans suddenly change their opinions on him when we all know they would personally love to have him in their own team :p:p

• ^^ Surprise surprise. Now that we have copped Pogba, watch opposition fans suddenly change their opinions on him when we all know they would personally love to have him in their own team :p:p

Transfer thread is fun ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement