Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thank God this is coming to an end.

A very happy end mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Some line of cars there for the Pogba entourage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Any pictures lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It saddens me that I've been moved on-site for work and can't access Twitter. All the blank posts in this forum.

Could people copy and paste the content where possible please? I feel so left out! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

https://twitter.com/theunitedend/status/762611294910513152

For Magic: a picture of a Pogba in a red car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Another one:

CpVXbbQWAAEChND.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Another one:

CpVXbbQWAAEChND.jpg

Yeah he's not actually driving.. I just linked the tweet though :pac: in a red and black Chevy ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Wouldn't you love to know what Fergie is thinking right about now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Quandary wrote: »

Lunch I expect

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I doubt it has phased him too much at all. The man has won 30+ trophies for United and a boat load of individual awards, doubt he's fretting over us buying back a player he let go.

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I doubt it has phased him too much at all. The man has won 30+ trophies for United and a boat load of individual awards, doubt he's fretting over us buying back a player he let go.

I'm sure it hasn't "phased" him too much but id say it has to stick in his craw a little bit.

Hope Pogba goes on to be a star for us. I was devastated when himself and Ravel left but in fairness to Fergie he was bang on about Ravel.

"I was right about Rooney"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Plus there's no guarantee Pogba would have progressed as much at Utd. I don't see the buying back an issue at all. I'd happily take some exes back, they seem to flourish when we split :o

Plus there's no guarantee Pogba would have progressed as much at Utd. I don't see the buying back an issue at all. I'd happily take some exes back, they seem to flourish when we split :o

This here I can't agree with enough. Pogba got to enjoy playing and learning alongside Pirlo and Marchisio which has no doubt helped with his progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Lets not get carried away,remember this!

david-moyes_2641120b.jpg

There's a pretty big difference between Jose and Moyes. Moyes was a man completely lost and overwhelmed trying to manage a giant club like United. He was like a man who was completely uncomfortable trying to wear an oversized suit. A frightened deer lost in the headlights.

Jose on the other hand, is a man that not only belongs at a giant club like United, but he's wearing it like a perfectly fitting, bespoke suit that was made for him in Savile Row. Even a casual look at their managerial records, is a bit like comparing a man with a boy imo. Nobody's losing the run of themselves, but it's also hard not be excited for the future. Afaic, we've finally got the man we should have had three years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Pogba got to enjoy playing and learning alongside Pirlo and Marchisio which has no doubt helped with his progress.

I have to admit that I genuflected when you mentioned Pirlo. One of the true great midfield maestros of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Okay I'm seeing a big page number increase since I was last on here Firday and I'll be damned if I'm reading back through all that but I'm guessing Paul is back and in Pogba form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Okay I'm seeing a big page number increase since I was last on here Firday and I'll be damned if I'm reading back through all that but I'm guessing Paul is back and in Pogba form.

Yep Paul is back and Rooney is sh1te.

You missed Pogba is back and the usual Rooney debate, with a side of Carrick/Fellaini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

You missed Pogba is back and the usual Rooney debate, with a side of Carrick/Fellaini.

Yeah I checked out at the Carrick debate, glad I missed the rest tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I flutter in and out of this thread so apologies of this has been asked before.

The fee aside, what is the general feeling about Pogba coming back and what he can or can't bring to the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Star ratings,

Carrick 6
    Rooney 6
    Fellaini 5.

Some joke, fellaini was better than the two of them put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

py2006 wrote: »
    I flutter in and out of this thread so apologies of this has been asked before.

The fee aside, what is the general feeling about Pogba coming back and what he can or can't bring to the team?

I don't think anyone can argue he greatly improves the team.

Personally I think he brings a bit of creativity and attacking prowess to our CM options, something not quite there with Carrick, Herrera, Schneiderlin and Fellaini, in my opinion.

People can argue about his position but he's very capable of playing either has a holding midfielder, more advanced, box to box or free role, so there are many options.

About the impact. It seems divided again. Before he came with the players and manager we have I would be one who would expect us to be right in the mix for the title and was hoping for us to challenge the for the title. With him being added to that I personally would be expecting us to definitely challenge for the title and would expect he would make a big difference to the challenge.

Now that's just my opinion, others have already replied saying they don't feel he is the sort of player to make the difference between trying or attempting to challenge for the title and actually doing it.

But his level of impact aside no one can question he brings a lot of talent to the table and should improve the squad. It just seems to be a debate on how much he will improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

akelly02 wrote: »
    Star ratings,

Carrick 6
    Rooney 6
    Fellaini 5.

He also cost us a goal.

• Advertisement

akelly02 wrote: »
    Star ratings,

Carrick 6
    Rooney 6
    Fellaini 5.

Wouldn't pay too much attention on the Star of all places :pac:

It his subjective at times but think the mess up has completely distorted their views on Fellaini's performance. I would have easily given him a 7/10. Rooney a 6/10 seems fine to me (obviously I know many disagree and I'm in the minority so no need to bring this to my attention, I'm just saying what I think) and personally would have given Carrick a 4 or 5 out of 10.

But as I said, it's the Star. Not exactly a respected source :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

He also cost us a goal.

Yes he did, thanks for pointing that out, and he was still better than the other two put together even allowing for the balls up.

Pogba will add a lot of attacking power and presence to the midfield. His ability to shoot from distance is also something we have badly missed for the last few years. He is still developing his range of passing IMO, but he has buckets of natural technique. I remember watching him in the youths for Utd and I couldn't get over how easily he seemed to cover the ground without having to bust a gut. He is surprisingly quick too.

I sincerely hope he is not played as a deep lying midfielder as I feel it would be a waste of his strengths. He needs to be one of the midfielders who is given plenty freedom to break forward. I'm hoping Jose will use him like he used Lampard at Chelsea.

Exciting times at Utd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

akelly02 wrote:
    Star ratings,

Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

ccD2VFY.gif

• Advertisement

Trond wrote: »
    ccD2VFY.gif

Ed Pardeward!

That Pardew dance is a gif that keeps on giving :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/squawkanews/status/762603524827918336

Graeme Souness on Paul Pogba: "I don't see him changing that many games."

Oops he did it again...

I kind of agree with him. while pogba will improve the team no doubt but i dont think hes going to be the star player over this season.

But i think he has the potential to do it in the future and id worry if jose is going to play him in a 2 with carrick especially as his best work is when playing in a more forward postion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ideally I would like to see Pogba in a 3 man midfielder - probably with Schniederlin and Carrick - I Rooney isn't good enough CM, Fellaini I don't like long term, Herrera just hasn't justified a starting spot.

Trond wrote: »
    ccD2VFY.gif

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

ed woodward is doing a magnificent job this summer.

sky88 wrote: »
    But i think he has the potential to do it in the future and id worry if jose is going to play him in a 2 with carrick especially as his best work is when playing in a more forward postion.

Can't say I fully agree with the worry a lot have about him playing in the centre rather than higher up such as a number 10 role.

Pogba has played the majority of his career in either the CM or DM role rather than an ATM number 10 position so many seem to say he is better suited to. He can play those positions very well and can bring forward thinking and attacking ability to them.

I 100 percent agree with Mourinhos ideas and assessment that Pogba will play as the second midfielder who is more box to box that can provide a lot for defending and attacking like Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard have all shown in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Another one:

CpVXbbQWAAEChND.jpg

18ly2k.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So long as this gets wrapped up (good god can we just get it wrapped up!?) this would be my first personal XI, though I reckon Rooney would replace Herrera. Maybe put in Carrick or Fellaini for tough away games in CM, with Pogba in the more attacking role. Also Bailly/Blind are interchangeable at this point, just hoping Bailly takes it as the season progresses.

DDG
    Darmian --- Smalling -- Bailly --- Shaw
    Schneiderlin --- Pogba
    Herrera
    Mkhitaryan
    Martial
    Zlatan

Subs: Romero, Blind, TFM, Carrick/Fellaini, Mata, Rooney, Rashford
    Also: Jones, CBJ, Lingard, Pereira, Januzaj, Depay, Valencia, Young

Valencia & Young's deals are up in 2018, I reckon they're gone next summer but at least Valencia will likely be kept around this year for RW/RB depth... and also in case Depay or Januzaj don't progress. Rojo and Schweinsteiger I am basically assuming are already gone. Jose said he wants 23 outfield players, and I just listed 29...

Also, assuming the above as our starting XI for Europa League games I would rather us just go with something like this:

Romero/DDG
    TFM --- Blind* -- Jones --- CBJ
    Carrick -- Fellaini
    Rooney
    Mata
    Depay
    Rashford

Replace Jones for TFM if you like, with Valencia at RB - bit of a coin toss between those two, they both seem on borrow time to me.
    *Or Bailly if Blind is starting for us in the league.

Just a rough stab, but I don't want to be seeing too many of the starting players in the league featuring often at all in the EL. Use it to test out some players and new systems, like Ferguson did in the 2005/06 league cup which gave us a blueprint for how we would play during the most successful time in the club's history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

:cool:

tumblr_mz9b5pSrlI1rwj4q6o1_400.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Billy86 wrote: »

DDG
    Darmian --- Smalling -- Bailly --- Shaw
    Schneiderlin --- Pogba
    Herrera
    Mkhitaryan
    Martial
    Zlatan

I find it really odd that you would put Herrera in Pogba's best position and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

v3ttel wrote: »
    I find it really odd that you would put Herrera in Pogba's best position and vice versa.

I'd invert the triangle and have both herrera and Pogba as box to box players, I wouldn't be putting either as a traditional number 10. Also, I'd build our midfield around having Pogba as box to box player. I want his athleticism, pace and power coming all through the centre of the pitch.

I'd invert the triangle and have both herrera and Pogba as box to box players, I wouldn't be putting either as a traditional number 10. Also, I'd build our midfield around having Pogba as box to box player. I want his athleticism, pace and power coming all through the centre of the pitch.

Mourinho has said as much about having Pogba as a box-to-box player.

I can't see us changing our entire tactics and setup this close to the season beginning but it could be phased in throughout the season.

Jose has been fairly adamant that he sees Pogba as the box-to-box midfielder as part of a two man partnership we've seen already. Except Pogba offers a lot more going forward than any of the other options there, something Jose has talked about, saying he will have the license to get forward more. He also said we have enough number 10s, and when you think about it Mata, Rooney, and Mkhitaryan are all there available for that position.

I look forward to seeing how he gets on and is used but I think people saying his talent going forward will be wasted as part of a 2 man midfield isn't correct at all. His role will include his attacking ability but also take into account his defensive abilities.

Joses interview says as much:
    'We have No 10's, we don't have what I used to call the second midfield player.
    'The one that is strong enough, is powerful enough, has defensive intensity but at the same time has creativity, has goals.'
    'Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard; they're the second player who sometimes score more goals than the No 10 but defends as a No 6.
    'These players are so difficult to find. I've given you the names of three players and they represent three fantastic players.'

I know a lot disagree with his opinion on Pogba, it is clear online, but I for one am looking forward to seeing him play in the role Jose has discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

bangkok wrote: »
    ed woodward is doing a magnificent job this summer.

I would think its Jose who is drawing the players

Ed only has the cheque book

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Always thought it was Pogba's dream to play for Ed Woodward.

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Tough job Ed has, when the transfers don't happen it's his fault for not getting a deal done and being a poor negotiator. When they do happen, it has nothing to do with him, he just signs the cheques.

The man can't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's obvious that's not the angle of his post
    It sounds like he's a tad bit upset that we signed him
    Superior to Mane and the better deal too

To be honest I'll assume people posting in the United thread want the United angle.

All that other stuff is utterly sad and as you say, just being salty.

Don't know about anyone else but fears I kinda had last season about Klopp and Liverpool have been utterly removed from my mind now that Mourinho is in place and the window we are having.

I actually would burst my hole laughing if a load of rival fans come in here when Pogba is announced and have the gaul to talk about "waste of money". Especially Liverpool fans. Their Premier League life can be summarised as "waste of money"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Can't say I fully agree with the worry a lot have about him playing in the centre rather than higher up such as a number 10 role.

Pogba has played the majority of his career in either the CM or DM role rather than an ATM number 10 position so many seem to say he is better suited to. He can play those positions very well and can bring forward thinking and attacking ability to them.

I 100 percent agree with Mourinhos ideas and assessment that Pogba will play as the second midfielder who is more box to box that can provide a lot for defending and attacking like Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard have all shown in the past.

well i think its more of a worry that our main defensive midfielders wouldn't be up to the job and hed be forced to help to much in defense affecting his attacking ability, i think carricks legs are gone and this will be exploited against the top teams. Morgan i think is suited to a 3 man midfield or with an out and out DM like wanayama was at southampton

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement