Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm looking forward to seeing how this United side develops over the season - there are a number of positions that could change based on performances.

If we are going with 3 central midfielders, I think 2 of those spots will be up for grabs. With Fellaini nailed on for the other. Nah, Pogba, obviously.

Right back is open too, and possible the right wing. There are a few positions where I just can't pick a first choice player.

De Gea
    XXXX-Smalling-Bailly-Shaw
    XXXX-Pogba-XXXXX
    XXXX
    Martial
    Ibrahimovic

My selections for the XXX positions would be Valencia, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Mkhitaryan - but Darmian, Fosu-Mensah, Fellaini, Carrick, Rooney, Lingard Memphis could take those spots

I do admit Rooney is likely to be first choice alongside Pogba, with Carrick most likely the other CM (basically Pogba in for Fellaini from Sunday), but I don't think Rooney is the best option in CM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

I'm looking forward to seeing how this United side develops over the season - there are a number of positions that could change based on performances.

If we are going with 3 central midfielders, I think 2 of those spots will be up for grabs. With Fellaini nailed on for the other. Nah, Pogba, obviously.

Right back is open too, and possible the right wing. There are a few positions where I just can't pick a first choice player.

De Gea
    XXXX-Smalling-Bailly-Shaw
    XXXX-Pogba-XXXXX
    XXXX
    Martial
    Ibrahimovic

My selections for the XXX positions would be Valencia, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Mkhitaryan - but Darmian, Fosu-Mensah, Fellaini, Carrick, Rooney, Lingard Memphis could take those spots

I do admit Rooney is likely to be first choice alongside Pogba, with Carrick most likely the other CM (basically Pogba in for Fellaini from Sunday), but I don't think Rooney is the best option in CM.

What planet have you been on, Jose has already said Rooney will play as a 9 or 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

TheTownie wrote: »
    Three down, two to go! :pac:

Cpaw29GWcAE5cHG.jpg

That's not gonna happen we will never get maherez off Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Amazing, that after years of not being fond of him, I actually can say I would miss Young if he left. Think he is an excellent squad player for us, though probably third choice in every position he plays in now :/ would be sorry to see him go.

Never reached the heights that Ferguson obviously thought he would. Very hit and miss.

Wouldn't be adverse to him leaving. Just because Van Gaal played him around a bit doesn't mean he is actually useful in those places.

Decent RW option, but would say with Mata, Memphis and Rashford, that is perfect able cover on the flanks.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Never reached the heights that Ferguson obviously thought he would. Very hit and miss.

Wouldn't be adverse to him leaving. Just because Van Gaal played him around a bit doesn't mean he is actually useful in those places.

Decent RW option, but would say with Mata, Memphis and Rashford, that is perfect able cover on the flanks.
    Young is a more competent performer than Memphis. I think Memphis has a far bigger potential upside, but we've seen little to suggest he will realise that potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

In terms of old fashioned wing play I would rate Young better than all 3 of those players.

What planet have you been on, Jose has already said Rooney will play as a 9 or 10

What is said and what happens are not always the same.

I don't see United playing with two up front, which means Rooney, if playing, will likely be more a midfielder than a forward. or on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

As posted earlier....
    Man Utd Stuff @ManUtdStuff
    Fact: Paul Pogba cost United just 18% of their turnover.

Equivalent to Crystal Palace paying £15m for a player.

But didn't realise that they've bid £25m for Benteke according to SSN....hopefully everyone will be suitably outraged at their spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

What percentage of Liverpool's turnover is Mané, just for research purposes of course :pac:

• Advertisement

v3ttel wrote: »
    As posted earlier....

But didn't realise that they've bid £25m for Benteke according to SSN....hopefully everyone will be suitably outraged at their spending.

That's obscene Joe.Will nobody think of the childers.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

What percentage of Liverpool's turnover is Mané, just for research purposes of course :pac:

About 9% as 18% is £64 mil.

Would that be real world spend or the alternative league spend ?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

About 9% as 18% is £64 mil.

Don't forget the buy two get a third half price deal they have with Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

They've spent 34% of turnover on Southampton players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I hope to God that Young doesn't go anywhere. He's a very important player for us without being someone who will start. You see Young on the bench and you know you're covered with a 7/10 performance in about 5 positions if he has to come on.

They've spent 34% of turnover on Southampton players

They must have some points on their Saints Loyalty Card at this stage.

• Thread has been pure gold today

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Thread has been pure gold today

All the joy and the salty opposition supporters whinging

251.jpg?ff6569a7c9289d6bfff9

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

zerks wrote: »
    They must have some points on their Saints Loyalty Card at this stage.

They are cashing them in to get some leftover seats from The Dell for their new stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wouldn't want to go overboard on offloading players. The Thursday/Sunday schedule that comes with the Europa League can be draining. There's definitely a place for Young in the squad.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Wouldn't want to go overboard on offloading players. The Thursday/Sunday schedule that comes with the Europa League can be draining. There's definitely a place for Young in the squad.

Schweini is gone,Januzaj could be next,Jose will not tolerate his childish attitude.Jones is another rumoured to be on the loanee list to try and get him more than 3 games in a row without being crocked.

Young is a good option to have and should have a place in the squad as he can play on the wing or wingback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Now that we are sorted in terms of transfers coming in, I think the next few weeks will be about certain players being shown the door and let out.

As mentioned above, we will be playing a lot of games and so we can't let go of too many. Personally though I would show the door to:

Januzaj. Hasn't worked out and is pretty average imo.

Jones is behind Bailly, Smalling, Blind, Rojo and maybe even Darmian. Plus he is very unreliable.

Andres Pereira should be sent out on loan to a decent PL side like Watford or West Brom and get some first team experience under his belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Just saw a snippet of the MUTV Pogba interview.

Seems genuinely delighted to be back at the club. I cannot wait for the season to start :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

One of the other good things about signing Pogba (apart from obviously getting a world class player) is that I can enjoy watching Juventus again without thinking "FOR F*** SAKE".

They've been unbelievably good to watch for the last years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Our three highest paid players according to some...RIP.
    Rooney.
    Ibrahimovic.
    Pogba

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

£89M has got to be a bargain when you really think about it......

Like how different a player would Pogba be now after 3 years of Moyes and LvG

Bradz213 wrote: »
    £89M has got to be a bargain when you really think about it......

Like how different a player would Pogba be now after 3 years of Moyes and LvG

He'd have been sold to Madrid for far less by now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Jayop wrote: »
    I hope to God that Young doesn't go anywhere. He's a very important player for us without being someone who will start. You see Young on the bench and you know you're covered with a 7/10 performance in about 5 positions if he has to come on.

Where do you get a 7/10 performance out of Young? The rare one sure, some 5s and 6s mainly... but in 5 positions??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

So, is that it now transfer wise?

So to narrow it down to players per position...(left out Januzaj and Basti)

Several players in multiple positions.

GK
    DeGea
    Romero
    Johnston

CB
    Smalling
    Bailly
    Blind
    Jones
    Tuanzabe
    Rojo

RB
    Valencia
    Darmian
    Fosu-Mensah
    Young

LB
    Shaw
    Rojo
    Blind
    Young
    Borthwick-Jackson

CM
    Pogba
    Carrick
    Schneiderlin
    Fellaini
    Herrera
    Blind

AM/Wings
    Mkitaryan
    Martial
    Mata
    Lingard
    Pereira
    Young
    Valencia
    Depay

Striker/10
    Zlatan
    Rooney
    Rashford
    Martial
    Mata
    Keane
    Wilson

Honestly, not much room there to be letting many people go given the schedule.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Where do you get a 7/10 performance out of Young? The rare one sure, some 5s and 6s mainly... but in 5 positions??

He can play both wings, both FB positions and AM.

You mightn't like him, that's OK but if you think he's been giving mostly 5 or 6 out of 10 positions then you've a massively different view from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Young is a more competent performer than Memphis. I think Memphis has a far bigger potential upside, but we've seen little to suggest he will realise that potential.

We are likely talking about backup here though, and I'd prefer Memphis being given the nod rather then Young, who I think if we are all honest has never really been United standard, and for some reason just benefited from that weird Ferguson thing where he never cut lads who weren't hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

https://youtu.be/kjmvcousUPg

I've never been as excited about a player since ronaldo made his debut v Bolton.

Pogba

• Advertisement

We are likely talking about backup here though, and I'd prefer Memphis being given the nod rather then Young, who I think if we are all honest has never really been United standard, and for some reason just benefited from that weird Ferguson thing where he never cut lads who weren't hassle.

If I'm honest of course I'd much prefer to see Memphis come on in an attacking position, but Young is now a Utility player. He's the JoS of the current squad if not as able to play in every single position as John was. He's a great man to have on the bench though given his versatility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

(left out Januzaj and Basti).

They're more or less gone so people reckon?

Now he is here,could it be a couple of weeks until he plays? He hasnt had a pre season yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Now he is here,could it be a couple of weeks until he plays? He hasnt had a pre season yet!

Sub against Bournemouth, then start the next home match I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Was just wondering the same. He seemed to keep himself is decent shape over the summer, wonder will he get some mins this weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

He is super fit already, won't need much training to get back up to speed. Prob come on this week, and start the home game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

bangkok wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/kjmvcousUPg

I've never been as excited about a player since ronaldo made his debut v Bolton.

Pogba

Some serious sh1te going down in that video clip :D

Exciting times ahead

• Big Andy with Jose

So all the dust has likely settled on transfers now. I really am struggling to settle on a first choice 11. I guess it's all going to come down to form, but given the depth and youth talent we have there's going to be players very upset that they're not playing.

If we're playing a 4231 as is most likely then how many players have their spot nailed down for the big game. Take the City match for example where it will be all about getting the best 11 players on the pitch.

DeGea
    Valencia looks likely to be first choice
    Smalling
    Bailly or Blind
    Shaw

Pogba
    Carrick or Schneiderlin

Mkhitaryan or Lingard
    Rooney or Mata
    Martial

Zlatan

So from the 11 positions I can only really say that 6 are nailed on starters with Rooney and Valencia looking very likely too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

H0vFpSU.png

Ugh, top of the page and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

RasTa wrote: »
    jersey img

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ugh, top of the page and everything.

Top of the page? your doing boards wrong :D

astradave wrote: »
    Top of the page? your doing boards wrong :D

Talk to me brother. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

RasTa wrote: »
    H0vFpSU.png

Moyes wearing an Aon sponsored Nike jacket makes this even funnier.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement