Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jesus that video is all the qualities we have lacked in CM for since Scholes.

I love see Morgan have good season too. He still a very good Midfielder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Jayop wrote: »
    So all the dust has likely settled on transfers now. I really am struggling to settle on a first choice 11. I guess it's all going to come down to form, but given the depth and youth talent we have there's going to be players very upset that they're not playing.

If we're playing a 4231 as is most likely then how many players have their spot nailed down for the big game. Take the City match for example where it will be all about getting the best 11 players on the pitch.

DeGea
    Valencia looks likely to be first choice
    Smalling
    Bailly or Blind
    Shaw

Pogba
    Carrick or Schneiderlin

Mkhitaryan or Lingard
    Rooney or Mata
    Martial

Zlatan

So from the 11 positions I can only really say that 6 are nailed on starters with Rooney and Valencia looking very likely too.

Nailed on...
    De gea
    Smalling
    Bailly
    Shaw
    Pogba
    Rooney
    Martial
    Ibrahimovic
    Mkhitayran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Does playing in a midfield pair in a 4231 really suit Pogba though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

bangkok wrote: »
    Nailed on...
    De gea
    Smalling
    Bailly
    Shaw
    Pogba
    Rooney
    Martial
    Ibrahimovic
    Mkhitayran

I agree completely on..

De gea
    Smalling
    Shaw
    Pogba
    Martial
    Ibrahimovic

..but it's hard to tell with the other few. Rooney I think will start the first game but if he doesn't perform and gets taken off for Mata who performs better then he could be in trouble for that City game.

Mkhi certainly looks the most likely to start over Lingard and if the latter hadn't scored the goal on Sunday I'd say there's no doubt.

I think Valencia is 90% sure to start at RB also.

Does playing in a midfield pair in a 4231 really suit Pogba though?

Not his best position but where else to you see him playing or what other system do you see us playing? I think if he plays along with a Morgan or Carrick then although the formation will see him starting in one of two holding roles he's going to be given a lot more freedom to bomb on. My concern is that if he does it too often then it could leave us exposed with so many of the other forwards being so high up the pitch.

Personally I think a 4141 with him as one of the 2 more forward CM's may suit him better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If Valencia keeps those super crosses coming, then he most definitely starts.

What I love about the signings of Pogba and Zlatan apart from their talent is the following: they ooze charisma, confidence and the winning mentality. They also seem like real nice people, but with a killer instinct.
    This is what make these signings special.

Not his best position but where else to you see him playing or what other system do you see us playing? I think if he plays along with a Morgan or Carrick then although the formation will see him starting in one of two holding roles he's going to be given a lot more freedom to bomb on. My concern is that if he does it too often then it could leave us exposed with so many of the other forwards being so high up the pitch.

Personally I think a 4141 with him as one of the 2 more forward CM's may suit him better.

I don't think he's suited to sitting because it's just not making the most of his talents and I don't think he has the discipline to track players.

Having someone sit with 2 central players with more licence to get forward...whether that's a 4141 or 433 type (just to give it some numbers)

I don't think he's suited to sitting because it's just not making the most of his talents and I don't think he has the discipline to track players.

Having someone sit with 2 central players with more licence to get forward...whether that's a 4141 or 433 type (just to give it some numbers)

I think the formation thing is overdone really given regardless of how you look at it when you play with 4 at the back then they all really have the same net effect. 2 wide men, a striker, a player off the striker and 2 in the middle. With the 4231 I posted and Pogba playing as one of the 2 I fully expect him to be given license to go roam and do what he needs to do to influence the game. The guy along side him in that 2 will be the holder and will need to be mega disciplined, someone like Carrick or Morgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

On paper he'll be down beside Carrick or whoever but in reality he will be given a free role

You don't spend 89 million on a player and make him sit in the centre circle

• Advertisement

I think the formation thing is overdone really given regardless of how you look at it when you play with 4 at the back then they all really have the same net effect. 2 wide men, a striker, a player off the striker and 2 in the middle. With the 4231 I posted and Pogba playing as one of the 2 I fully expect him to be given license to go roam and do what he needs to do to influence the game. The guy along side him in that 2 will be the holder and will need to be mega disciplined, someone like Carrick or Morgan.

I just think they might need another central player to drop in with Carrick/Morgan to cover cos the full backs gonna be pushing up.

But I'm sure Jose has a better idea than me, what with his trophies an' all

I agree completely on..

De gea
    Smalling
    Shaw
    Pogba
    Martial
    Ibrahimovic

..but it's hard to tell with the other few. Rooney I think will start the first game but if he doesn't perform and gets taken off for Mata who performs better then he could be in trouble for that City game.

Mkhi certainly looks the most likely to start over Lingard and if the latter hadn't scored the goal on Sunday I'd say there's no doubt.

I think Valencia is 90% sure to start at RB also.

30m on bailly, motm performance against Leicester in charity shield, big, strong, fast, no messing, he is nailed on to start and I would argue that he would be one of the first names on a mourinho team sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

McNair and Love going to Sunderland. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Just watched some behind the scenes footage of Pogba at Carrington on MUTV. Nice to see all the love and affection he got and gave, to all the old faces he knows in the backroom staff at United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just looking at united in press they showing pogba arriving at training ground yesterday he knows everyone and seems so happy to see them all. Said it a few weeks ago but he should be easiest out of all our signings to settle hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Talk to me brother. :confused:

There is an option that you can have up to 40 posts per page, I find it makes reading much easier.

• Advertisement

There is an option that you can have up to 40 posts per page, I find it makes reading much easier.

I think it depends on the device you are reading on. My iphone has posts on different pages to my ipad. Might see if i can change it though. Hate changing pages so much.

Bolasie to Everton 30m!! Pogba a bargain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bolasie to Everton 30m!! Pogba a bargain :)

Lol 3 bolasies cost more than pogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

GSPfan wrote: »

Has it been confirmed? With bailly coming in and plenty of cover for the full backs it seems like they wouldn't get much game time at United.

I hope they do well at Sunderland if it is the case.

I wonder will Blackett be next out too. I doubt he would get much game time unless we are really stretched at the back with injuries.

I just think they might need another central player to drop in with Carrick/Morgan to cover cos the full backs gonna be pushing up.

But I'm sure Jose has a better idea than me, what with his trophies an' all

That's all well and good but then you're really looking at playing 1 striker and Pogba in place of a No10.

I wouldn't have a problem with that at all but I can't see Mata and rooney both not playing.
    30m on bailly, motm performance against Leicester in charity shield, big, strong, fast, no messing, he is nailed on to start and I would argue that he would be one of the first names on a mourinho team sheet

It would seem like that but I just worry that Blind will play in his place initially. Hopefully not!

• Advertisement

Has it been confirmed? With bailly coming in and plenty of cover for the full backs it seems like they wouldn't get much game time at United.

I hope they do well at Sunderland if it is the case.

I wonder will Blackett be next out too. I doubt he would get much game time unless we are really stretched at the back with injuries.

Not yet but sky reporting bids have been accepted and mutv even confirmed the report during the live "united in press" show.

Id say its accurate. Hope it goes well for them. Id expect Januzaj to go on loan there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Wow. I thought they'd go on loan. Though they will obviously get much more game time at Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im still buzzing.

I really hope thou there just one more signing to go. I want a CB or RB at least.

If I was pushed it would choose the RB because I hate seeing val start and be the backup Darmian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Not yet but sky reporting bids have been accepted and mutv even confirmed the report during the live "united in press" show.

Id say its accurate. Hope it goes well for them. Id expect Januzaj to go on loan there.

Ah yeah I seen that article. I'd expect him to go too. Moyes seemed to have a liking to him while he was United manager.

I think for Januzaj it would be good for performance and confidence as he was an up and coming and has fizzled into nothing the last year or two. Hopefully he could actually get some game time unlike the farce that was the Dortmund loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Positivity Train is doing an all nighter:pac:

Headshot wrote: »
    Im still buzzing.

I really hope thou there just one more signing to go. I want a CB or RB at least.

If I was pushed it would choose the RB because I hate seeing val start and be the backup Darmian

Getting greedy now

Don't really want a RB tbh. We've two senior players and a young lad who looks well able to come in if required. Young can also cover there in a pinch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Horrific signings for Sunderland. Absolutely horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mourinho should break into Woody's office and write Bonucci at the end of his list

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

TheDoc wrote: »
    We are likely talking about backup here though, and I'd prefer Memphis being given the nod rather then Young, who I think if we are all honest has never really been United standard, and for some reason just benefited from that weird Ferguson thing where he never cut lads who weren't hassle.

Put your PSV watching of Memphis aside. For United Memphis was a poor option from the bench last season. He has not settled in England yet.

Young is proven off the bench for both attacking and defending requirements. Proven as a capable player to step into the first 11 when called upon even without regular game time. He has peaked and will not grow frustrated and end up playing badly when called upon.

He is the obvious choice to fill a squad place while Memphis is the one that needs regular involvement or a loan move. Without regular game time Memphis is at an age/stage where he would be frustrated and looks (so far) like a player who will only play well if he is happy and confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Paully D wrote: »

I disagree with that anyway. If the reports are right they are getting the pair for £5.5million. Both are 21 and Paddy has a chunk of Premier League experience, and Love is a player who was quite promising in the youths.

Wouldn't say that deal is horrific myself, but hey it's up to interpretation.

Anyway good luck to them, hopefully they do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Paully D wrote: »

I don't think so. Mcnair has potential to be a solid player for a mid table side he never got a chance with united as a defensive midfielder I'm not sure about love he showed glimpses of potential but no great experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sunderland don't need potential. They need experienced battlers who will keep them up.

I see Besic is out for six months after the injury he picked up at the Rooney testimonial.

I've have high hopes for Timothy Fosu-Mensah and I really hope he gets enough game time, because I think he could develop into an absolutely beast for us. He's a young player that I'm hoping Jose will make a project of in the season ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Wouldnt be at all surprised to see us close out the season with a starting midfield 3 of

Fosu Mensah

Pogba Fellaini/Herrera

And a then front 3 from Ibra, Marcus, Martial, Mickey, Mata and Memphis

I've have high hopes for Timothy Fosu-Mensah and I really hope he gets enough game time, because I think he could develop into an absolutely beast for us. He's a young player that I'm hoping Jose will make a project of in the season ahead.

I think he will head out on loan for the first part of the season.

Off to Reading to play for Stam could work well.

LeeJM wrote: »
    Wouldnt be at all surprised to see us close out the season with a starting midfield 3 of

Fosu Mensah

Pogba Fellaini/Herrera

And a then front 3 from Ibra, Marcus, Martial, Mickey, Mata and Memphis

Why? Jose plays 4231 so why would he change. It's been very successful.

Mourinho should break into Woody's office and write Bonucci at the end of his list

Now that would be a bit like having two turkeys for Christmas dinner. I certainly wouldn't say no, but it's not likely to happen.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Moyes acting like he is playing champ manager, McNair and Love are not what Sunderland need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Think with the players that he has the way he set Chelsea up first in the 4-3-3 would suit United quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He has been known to use a more conventional 433 though.

I think we may see Rooney phased out over the course of the season and more of a midfield 3 taking shape

x

x
    x--
    x
    x
    x

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

dubmick wrote: »
    Moyes acting like he is playing champ manager, McNair and Love are not what Sunderland need

McNair is decent. Love is pretty much an unknown unless anyone was watching the few Wigan games he played.

we just broke the world transfer record today for Pogba.....just let that sink it for a while and have a good nights sleep :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

McNair is decent. Love is pretty much an unknown unless anyone was watching the few Wigan games he played.

McNair is pretty average. Not the type of player Sunderland should be targeting, I'd imagine a lot of their fans aren't best pleased.

• Advertisement

McNair is a good honest player that will work very hard for sunderland.

Best of luck to him

we just broke the world transfer record today for Pogba.....just let that sink it for a while and have a good nights sleep :)

untitled-png.1997

Dab Emoji FTW

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/763127434598318080

Simon Stone:
    @sistoney67
    Seems @ManUtd were keeping tabs on Pogba from 12 months after his exit. Real Madrid were also keen until it became impossible for them.

Impossible for Real Madrid. Love it :D

we just broke the world transfer record today for Pogba...

That's me on the tesco value pasta and stir-in sauces for the rest of the month, at the very least. Totally worth it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

DM_7 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/763127434598318080

Simon Stone:
    @sistoney67
    Seems @ManUtd were keeping tabs on Pogba from 12 months after his exit. Real Madrid were also keen until it became impossible for them.

Impossible for Real Madrid. Love it :D

Sticking it to them makes the deal all the more sweet.

Between the DDG debacle and now this, they have had a huge amount of egg on their face, it is feckin delightful and hopefully a sign of things to come.

With the money thats awash in the PL and the likes of Pogba in the squad as well as some of the brightest prospects in the game, we should be in for the biggest stars in the game if they are available and want to join us. At this stage pretty much all barring a handful of players could be gettable for us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement