Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I fancy McNair as a defensive midfielder, decent on the ball and a solid passer, just needs a chance. Hope it works out for them don't know enough about Love to comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I made this point here before (badly) about another player so a lot of people thought I was trolling or talking bollocks but there was simply no possibility of Real breaking the world record fee and making a black player into a 'galactico.' Their nasty history of racism and fascism is still very much alive, both in how the club runs and in their fans' behaviour; the only difference is they have better pr people these days.
    When's the last time you saw a major club with a squad this pale?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3409358/Cristiano-Ronaldo-Real-Madrid-team-mates-head-squad-meal-celebrate-impressive-start-Zinedine-Zidane.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

The Positivity Train is doing an all nighter

The #positivityplane is doing an all weeker ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

sabat wrote: »
    I made this point here before (badly) about another player so a lot of people thought I was trolling or talking bollocks but there was simply no possibility of Real breaking the world record fee and making a black player into a 'galactico.' Their nasty history of racism and fascism is still very much alive, both in how the club runs and in their fans' behaviour; the only difference is they have better pr people these days.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3409358/Cristiano-Ronaldo-Real-Madrid-team-mates-head-squad-meal-celebrate-impressive-start-Zinedine-Zidane.html

blackadder-confused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

sabat wrote: »

Danilo, Marcelo, Varane, Casemiro, Lassana Diarra, Drenthe, Adebayour, Mamadou Diarra...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Seeing on Twitter that last summer a €90 million offer from Chelsea was rejected for Pogba.

First R.Madrid and now Chelsea!! This is getting too much for me :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That's a bit mad Sabat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I disagree with that anyway. If the reports are right they are getting the pair for £5.5million. Both are 21 and Paddy has a chunk of Premier League experience, and Love is a player who was quite promising in the youths.

Wouldn't say that deal is horrific myself, but hey it's up to interpretation.

Anyway good luck to them, hopefully they do well.

Exactly, our youth players have done very well in the Premiership by and large - haven't looked in a few years but at one point near the end of Fergie's reign we had by far the most ex youth players in the Premiership.

Sure Leicester picked up two ex youth players of ours who were never near good enough to make it at United (Simpson, Drinkwater) and look how that turned out for them. They also had De Laet and Matty James but the former was only with us for 3 years after youth age, and the latter missed the full season with injury. That worked out alright for them.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Exactly, our youth players have done very well in the Premiership by and large - haven't looked in a few years but at one point near the end of Fergie's reign we had by far the most ex youth players in the Premiership.

Sure Leicester picked up two ex youth players of ours who were never near good enough to make it at United (Simpson, Drinkwater) and look how that turned out for them. They also had De Laet and Matty James but the former was only with us for 3 years after youth age, and the latter missed the full season with injury. That worked out alright for them.

I counted a few years ago and only something like 5 PL clubs hadn't at least one of our ex YTS players on the books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

DM_7 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/763127434598318080

Simon Stone:
    @sistoney67
    Seems @ManUtd were keeping tabs on Pogba from 12 months after his exit. Real Madrid were also keen until it became impossible for them.

Impossible for Real Madrid. Love it :D

It was mentioned on MUTV on United in press that Moyes was interested in bringing Pogba back, but there were worries that Pogba might be the type of player that doesn't hang around at a club.
    I guess after 4 years at Juve it was clear he does hang around, and wanted United.

They said United could have got Pogba for £65 million then, but sure he got three years of development in what was a great midfield at Juventus.

Polo_Mint wrote:
    I like this photo

OMG
    Varane is in the pic
    It's a sign
    I'll fuel up the plane
    #Varane-on

Jayop wrote: »
    I counted a few years ago and only something like 5 PL clubs hadn't at least one of our ex YTS players on the books.

Am I misremembering or did we have over 20 ex players in the league? Could have sworn it was 23 or so. I think I remember it being close to (but not quite) double Arsenal's total, because it stemmed from an argument over which team actually produces their own better players.

If Arsenal or Liverpool had that many ex youth players in the league their ex players would be **** all over every bit of available media over it, but for some reason it went largely unmentioned about us.

Danilo, Marcelo, Varane, Casemiro, Lassana Diarra, Drenthe, Adebayour, Mamadou Diarra...

Pepe,makelele,seedorf

In other news Fabio is in his way to middlesboro

brinty wrote: »
    OMG
    Varane is in the pic
    It's a sign
    I'll fuel up the plane
    #Varane-on

And Pogba said Varane was one of the players he talked to before joining us :P

No doubt the Sun, Metro and the likes will run that story now to fill the transfer space :pac:

Am I misremembering or did we have over 20 ex players in the league? Could have sworn it was 23 or so. I think I remember it being close to (but not quite) double Arsenal's total, because it stemmed from an argument over which team actually produces their own better players.

If Arsenal or Liverpool had that many ex youth players in the league their ex players would be **** all over every bit of available media over it, but for some reason it went largely unmentioned about us.

We need to do that. Take a few clubs each and look thought the squad lists.

In other news Fabio is in his way to middlesboro

That would be a good move for him, Boro are forming quite a good team. Definitely see them staying up, then again I thought that about QPR a while ago :pac:

Last year a user on Reddit did a good job of it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/3nfdfj/a_table_of_former_manchester_united_players_who/

28 players then who were former United players playing for other Premier League teams.

• Advertisement

Done! You take 1-9, I'll take 12-20. We are #11 and #10 is City, who have no ex youth players of ours. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%80%9317_Premier_League

What criteria, only youth players or youth + picked from absolute obscurity?

Last year a user on Reddit did a good job of it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/3nfdfj/a_table_of_former_manchester_united_players_who/

28 players then who were former United players playing for other Premier League teams.
    It's kind of cheating when you've got lads like Falcao and Zaha in there, mind. :p

Some argument to be made for the likes of Diouf though, as he was picked out of utter obscurity.

Yeah I'd want to limit it to people that played in the academy or played at least for the first team for a few seasons.

It's kind of cheating when you've got lads like Falcao and Zaha in there, mind. :p

Some argument to be made for the likes of Diouf though, as he was picked out of utter obscurity.

Ha yeah but that was just total of former players for last year. He says he found 21 youth players at the time from the 28 former players.

The big name that stood out to me was Ezekiel Fryers, I know he is with Palace but I haven't seen him have a lick of football, or even heard anything about him in years. He was tipped to be so big back in the day.

Adamocovic wrote:
    The big name that stood out to me was Ezekiel Fryers, I know he is with Palace but I haven't seen him have a lick of football, or even heard anything about him in years. He was tipped to be so big back in the day.

Agh zeki
    Left on a free same time as pogba
    Roma I believe
    Back to spuds
    Barely got a game
    Now at palace
    Barely got a game there either

Yeah I'd want to limit it to people that played in the academy or played at least for the first team for a few seasons.
    How about this criteria?

1. Youth team player

or

2a. Played over 25 (more? less?) competitive games for us.
    and
    2b. Was picked from obscurity (we can just pop all the 'maybes' in initially and hash it out after).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Ha yeah but that was just total of former players for last year. He says he found 21 youth players at the time from the 28 former players.

Fryers wasn't really tipped at all.

• Advertisement

How about this criteria?

1. Youth team player

or

and
    2b. Was picked from obscurity (we can just pop all the 'maybes' in initially and hash it out after).

I like it. I'll work on my list tomorrow.

IF you want a 'whatever happened to that touted youngster', this is always one of my favourites, probably just because he was an unbelievable monster of a player back some really old Football Manager games. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mads_Timm

How about this criteria?

1. Youth team player

or

and

Sounds like a lot of work. Surely there's easier ways if you really wanted to do this.
    Maybe querying the football manager database for players with Utd in their history section?

s.welstead wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of work. Surely there's easier ways if you really wanted to do this.
    Maybe querying the football manager database for players with Utd in their history section?

Ah cheating man. :)

Wikipedia makes this stuff incredibly easy, to be honest. You can run through a full Premiership team in under 5 minutes... just go to their squad section, open every player in a new tab, and tab through taking a quick check for if they qualify from the side part under their main picture.

• Advertisement

Seeing on Twitter that last summer a €90 million offer from Chelsea was rejected for Pogba.

First R.Madrid and now Chelsea!! This is getting too much for me :p:p:p

And psg going by a statement he released last night

Wikipedia makes this stuff incredibly easy, to be honest. You can run through a full Premiership team in under 5 minutes... just go to their squad section, open every player in a new tab, and tab through taking a quick check for if they qualify from the side part under their main picture.

I think our definition of incredibly easy is a little different :)

Fryers wasn't really tipped at all.

Really? I remember it quite differently, maybe with time it has faded but he was part of that successful youth team of 2011 with Lingard, Morrison and Pogba. Was tipped to challenge and push for the team, made around 5-9 caps for us and then refused to sign with us which led to that fairly controversial saga that landed him at Spurs. This was all when he was 18/19 and didn't Spurs end up paying £3+ million for him.

To say he wasn't really tipped at all doesn't sound right to me.

Billy86 wrote:
    IF you want a 'whatever happened to that touted youngster', this is always one of my favourites, probably just because he was an unbelievable monster of a player back some really old Football Manager games.

I'll see you Timm
    Raise you
    Daniel Nardiello
    Markus Neumayer
    Ron Robert zieler
    Bojan Djordjic

Adamocovic wrote:
    Really? I remember it quite differently, maybe with time it has faded but he was part of that successful youth team of 2011 with Lingard, Morrison and Pogba. Was tipped to challenge and push for the team, made around 5-9 caps for us and then refused to sign with us which led to that fairly controversial saga that landed him at Spurs. This was all when he was 18/19 and didn't Spurs end up paying £3+ million for him.

I checked Wiki
    He went to spuds via standard Liege
    There was a ruckus as Fergie claimed Spurs got Liege to sign him then sell him so they'd avoid paying compo to us if he'd gone direct

I'll see you Timm
    Raise you
    Daniel Nardiello
    Markus Neumayer
    Ron Robert zieler
    Bojan Djordjic

He's actually had a very good career. Been starter for Hannover for a long while now (last 5 years or so) and was recently bought by Leicester. Has a few German national caps too, as recent as last year.

When Leicester bought him I thought that would have suggested Schmeichel was on the move, but that doesn't seem to be the case just there to push Kasper for the starter I imagine.

EDIT:

He was also part of the German World Cup team :P

27132e321b0786126f652bc869af92f2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'll see you Timm
    Raise you
    Daniel Nardiello
    Markus Neumayer
    Ron Robert zieler
    Bojan Djordjic

Richie Wellens :B

Nalz wrote:

Good career with Blackpool
    Perma on the pfa team of the year whatever division they were in

To say he wasn't really tipped at all doesn't sound right to me.
    He wasn't that highly tipped at the time and only came into the squad due to an injury crisis if I remember correctly.
    The links with Spurs meant that Fergie was talking about him highly in order to inflate his value. We would have been due compensation set by a panel.
    The way they avoided that was really low and really should have been looked into.

Remember Dong Fangzhuo? Remember him getting a run out after having a brilliant loan spell, after 2/3 caps was never heard of again

Just looked up his goal-scoring record there, after his loan spell away (where he scored 34 goals) he would go on to score only 11 goals in 6 years...not exactly great for a striker :P

• Advertisement

Remember Dong Fangzhuo?
    I was gutted he never got to play with or complete a pass to Nicky Butt in their time together... "Keane gets it, passes it off to Giggs, back to Keane, up to Dong, Dong into Butt...":pac:

Even just a mazy run for a goal... Dong dribbling everywhere, puts ball the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,855 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Remember Dong Fangzhuo? Remember him getting a run out after having a brilliant loan spell

Pffft, he was alright but no Erik Nevland... anyone remember him ? :p

Strumms wrote: »
    We needed you too!

Dong Strumms Butt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Strumms wrote: »

I thought he was gonna be a super player!

Well, maybe not a super player but I do remember being very fond of him and hoping he made it!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/09/manchester-united-paul-pogba-real-madrid-world-record
    The decision-makers at Old Trafford hope it will change the dynamic between Europe’s superpowers given that Pogba’s signing has been described as a watershed moment, being the first time in the modern era that one of the world’s more coveted players has preferred Manchester when an alternative offer was proposed by Madrid, a club who famously tend to get their own way when there is a player they want at the Bernabéu.

Pogba was offered the choice of either club and United know from past experience that La Liga’s top clubs are generally considered more attractive than those in the Premier League given the number of players such as Ronaldinho, Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale who have turned them down in the past to move to Spain, as well as Cristiano Ronaldo’s determination to wear Madrid’s colours when he was part of Sir Alex Ferguson’s team.
    Madrid have spent several months trying to persuade Pogba to do the same and the fact that the Champions League winners had Zinedine Zidane, one of the legends of French football, attempting to win over a current France international has merely heightened United’s satisfaction after a drawn-out process that involves three years of background work from Ed Woodward, the club’s executive vice-chairman.

Three years of background work to get Pogback, and he turned down Madrid.
    There is so much to love about the Pogba deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Matic seems to be causing a stir, I'd take him at a reasonable price, would make sense with Carrick being first choce sitting midfielder at the moment but it would probably mean the end for either Fellaini or Ander

Can probably forgive him for last season considering Hazard, Fabregas and Costa were equally terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Nalz wrote: »
    I'll see you Timm
    Raise you
    Daniel Nardiello
    Markus Neumayer
    Ron Robert zieler
    Bojan Djordjic

Tonton Zola Moukoko was a beast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/09/manchester-united-paul-pogba-real-madrid-world-record

God, 3 years of background work - he must have started very soon after we let him go :D Fair play Ed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

RobertKK wrote: »

So that's why he came home early from Australia on very important business back then. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement