Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Simon Stone of the BBC:

Adnan Januzaj wants to leave Manchester United permanently after being left out of Jose Mourinho's first-team squad.

The Belgium forward's contract runs until 2018, and the club have indicated a preference for him to leave on loan.

However, Januzaj has been left so disappointed by his treatment, he would prefer a permanent transfer.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37045162

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Simon Stone of the BBC:

Adnan Januzaj wants to leave Manchester United permanently after being left out of Jose Mourinho's first-team squad.

The Belgium forward's contract runs until 2018, and the club have indicated a preference for him to leave on loan.

However, Januzaj has been left so disappointed by his treatment, he would prefer a permanent transfer.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37045162

Put a buy back clause in his contract and let him go. Somehow I doubt he'll live up to his original promise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Let him go t'fúck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

He doesn't really have any bargaining power on which to demand anything. Utd have carried him in the squad the last few years, so sticking him in reserves for the next two years would appear to much more harmful to him than them.

2018, he would be what 26? No real previous experience, probably lost his place in the international squad. Why would he want to go down that route? Why not take the loan deal . If it goes brilliant he will go back to Utd anyway, job done. If it goes ok, looking spectacular but enough for a mid table team to see his value, then he will get a move. If it goes badly, he will be no worse than now.

I can understand his frustration but it seems to me that he is thinking he has more power than he actually has

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Pogba is not as good as, or better then Robson or Keane as a midfielder. Do you mean simply at 23?

If so I would say he is not really a similar player to either in that case!

He does not influence games or drive teams the way they did, he tends to drift in and out of games still. Does not get his foot on the ball and dictate tempo, does not have the ability to read the game and run the midfield, still lacks a bit of tactical discipline.

He is a little like Gerrard/Yaya in that he is best suited to playing a free role given license to do what he likes, get on the ball and drive at the opposition.

This is nothing to be worried about, I'd have killed for a Yaya in our team for a long time and it looks like we have one now! He may become a world class midfielder in time, his reading of the game, leadership and ability to dictate play even when he is not sparkling could come with time. He has the potential to be an absolutely superstar and I hope he realizes it at United. I hope people don't go thinking he is going to be the difference between winning the league and not though cause they may be disappointed. Be interested to see how the midfield performs with him, what combinations are tried and to what level of success over the season as I think we are lacking the right type of foil for him at the moment but may be wrong
    Go read my post again, I said at approx the same age. Also Robson and Keane weren't world class when they signed, nor were the the driving force when they signed. They became world class with us. You are comparing Pogba to Keane and Robson in their prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Leroy42 wrote: »
    He doesn't really have any bargaining power on which to demand anything. Utd have carried him in the squad the last few years, so sticking him in reserves for the next two years would appear to much more harmful to him than them.

2018, he would be what 26? No real previous experience, probably lost his place in the international squad. Why would he want to go down that route? Why not take the loan deal . If it goes brilliant he will go back to Utd anyway, job done. If it goes ok, looking spectacular but enough for a mid table team to see his value, then he will get a move. If it goes badly, he will be no worse than now.

I can understand his frustration but it seems to me that he is thinking he has more power than he actually has

He'll be 23 in Feb 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Leroy42 wrote: »

Exactly this...
    Hasn't performed or lioved up to expectations
    Went to Dortmund and they sent him home cos he was lazy, unfocused etc
    Macheda 2.0 here... scored a couple of goals, thought he was the mutts nuts.. and never did ought after..

I agree sell him with a buy back clause alright but if he's unwilling to put in the hard yards he'll have himself to blame in 3-5 years when he's playing football in outer mongolia!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Januzaj can literally go. to be honest getting £15m+ would be brilliant business. Sick of how we get ****e money for our players.

The hype around him when he came on the scene was ridiculous and he has utterly failed to live up to anything close to standard. Clear attitude problems and actually just doesn't look that good.

Best of luck to him at Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheDoc wrote: »
    Januzaj can literally go. to be honest getting £15m+ would be brilliant business. Sick of how we get ****e money for our players.

The hype around him when he came on the scene was ridiculous and he has utterly failed to live up to anything close to standard. Clear attitude problems and actually just doesn't look that good.

Best of luck to him at Sunderland

Have Sunderland bid for him? Haven't seen anything since Moyes was first linked with the Job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I love how the press say Januzaj ain't happy with how he is treated well he was the one that got the contract paying him one of the highest wages of a teenager in the world back then and he simply didn't live up to it.

And when I look at it with bastian it's the same he has a massive contract but never gave anything.back to the club to justify the wages. How can they not be happy let them gtfo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I see Chelsea have trademarked their name meaning anyone selling scarves,flags etc. outside the ground cannot have the word Chelsea on them.And people say United are moneygrabbers:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Did anybody else see Souness' piece on Sky Sports?
    • Pogba - overpaid for him, won't change many games
    • Batshuayi - couldn't get into the Belgium team, Chelsea need to sign another striker
    • Xhaka - not impressed by him, talks a good game
    • Sane - talented, but won't make any impact this year

And last but not least:
    • Mane - I like him. He's a goalscorer and he can score different types of goals. He's quick, he's energetic and I think he will do well.

So every signing is sh*te apart from for Mane for £36m. If United paid that price for him he'd be having a seizure. Hilarious!

v3ttel wrote: »

So every signing is sh*te apart from for Mane for £36m. If United paid that price for him he'd been having a seizure. Hilarious!

So Mane who plays well for 5 or 6 games then disappears is better than the rest? Biased much Graeme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

zerks wrote: »
    I see Chelsea have trademarked their name meaning anyone selling scarves,flags etc. outside the ground cannot have the word Chelsea on them.And people say United are moneygrabbers:rolleyes:

How does that work I wonder? The name Chelsea appears on road signs in London. Corporation owe royalty? :)

How does that work I wonder? The name Chelsea appears on road signs in London. Corporation owe royalty? :)

It's just on clothing and merchandise. They can't actually trademark the name they can just trademark what is sold with the name on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/chelsea-win-legal-battle-stop-11735109

It's on clothing items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So every signing is sh*te apart from for Mane for £36m. If United paid that price for him he'd be having a seizure. Hilarious!

I'd actually agree with most of this. Mane will do well at Liverpool.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

United fans seem to want universal praise for this signing, lots of them trying desperately to justify the fee, but such and such cost this or it's only x amount of our turnover etc etc....baffling. What seems to be ignored form the Souness piece is he heaped praise on Zlatan and tipped Utd for the league but yet all I read about is how the bad man said Pogba isn't the best player in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Aw man I came in here specifically to talk about that. I was laughing as I read it thinking he would have an issue with everyone bar Mane. What a sap. Sky stitched him up if they just plucked comments from a larger interview and put them into one piece like that. Ha ha. Brilliantly obvious from Souness yet again.

My favourite was him saying something like "How many games will Pogba decide on his own." I am praying for a 1-0 game against Liverpool with a Pogba winner.

United fans seem to want universal praise for this signing, lots of them trying desperately to justify the fee, but such and such cost this or it's only x amount of our turnover etc etc....baffling. What seems to be ignored form the Souness piece is he heaped praise on Zlatan and tipped Utd for the league but yet all I read about is how the bad man said Pogba isn't the best player in the world.

Maybe it's because it's mainly the pogba deal that's been debated and criticised by pundits and fans the most.

United have been accused of not been a club anymore and ruining the transfer market and what not because we broke a transfer record.

Despite what pogba is worth or not most people want to pretend that he is not the best young midfielder in the game at the moment.

Personally myself i don't care what others think I'm so excited for the new season it's gonna be great.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

whats pointed out is not justifying the pogba price but the fact he downplayed the signings of every other club bar liverpool spending 35million on another Southampton player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Can't go on social media these days without opposition fans saying our signings are great but yours are sh1te, it's hilarious. Mane is a good player and will improve Liverpool no doubt. Wouldn't have minded him at Utd at all but would have thought at the time he won't score enough to be the main man up front. Still an excellent signing though for them.

As for ourselves we've signed players in exactly the areas we needed to strengthen, add a fully fit Shaw into the mix and new manager and we're certainly a better unit. Hopefully we'll gel quickly and not drop too many points.

Only concern would be Rooney providing the links to Zlatan. Was at the game on Sunday and he was very poor in this respect so couldn't see the manager tolerating this for too long hopefully.

Have to be honest, I'm not a fan of Mourinho as I hated his theatrics at other clubs but he'll hopefully curtail this element of his behaviour

Really looking forward to the new season though. We're not going to be too far away I think this season

jayo26 wrote: »
    Maybe it's because it's mainly the pogba deal that's been debated and criticised by pundits and fans the most.

United have been accused of not been a club anymore and ruining the transfer market and what not because we broke a transfer record.

Despite what pogba is worth or not most people want to pretend that he is not the best young midfielder in the game at the moment.

Personally myself i don't care what others think I'm so excited for the new season it's gonna be great.

Tony Cascarino had a good article in The Times on how EPL wages have grown,since the 70's they pretty much quadrupled every few years.Now they have slowed down despite the eye watering amounts.If they had continued to grow by the scale that the had been over the previous decades,the likes of Rooney,Pogba etc. would be on £1 million a week.

In a world where midtable clubs are selling players to each other for £30 odd million it is no shock that the top clubs are paying more for better players.It's like buying a Dacia or a Mercedes,both are cars but only one is the prestige model.At United we strive to have the prestige players.

Tony Cascarino had a good article in The Times on how EPL wages have grown,since the 70's they pretty much quadrupled every few years.Now they have slowed down despite the eye watering amounts.If they had continued to grow by the scale that the had been over the previous decades,the likes of Rooney,Pogba etc. would be on £1 million a week.

In a world where midtable clubs are selling players to each other for £30 odd million it is no shock that the top clubs are paying more for better players.It's like buying a Dacia or a Mercedes,both are cars but only one is the prestige model.At United we strive to have the prestige players.

I'd prefer we spent the money on Pogba then do like arsenal and not spend money despite charging fans crazy money for tickets and all.

If the money is there bloody spend it or else it's only going to the owners and investors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:
    If the money is there bloody spend it or else it's only going to the owners and investors.

Where's that take all my money pic????

Arsenal fans be like:

cant-have-the-things-i-want.gif

United be like:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

United be like:

giphy.gif

:cool:

PoBwE.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

1. Zlatan was not mentioned in the article I referenced.

2. Have a read through this thread from the other day. It was fairly clear that a good number of us couldn't give a monkeys what we paid for Pogba, nevermind trying to "desperately justify" it, whatever that means.

3. I personally couldn't give a bollocks what other fans think about it and I'm sure I'm not alone in that, nevermind wanting "universal praise", whatever that means.

4. "United fans" ......yes, that's right, every United fan agrees on everything all the time.

5. You missed the point completely.

• Advertisement

Trond wrote: »
    :cool:

PoBwE.gif

Hey,why did you put a City gif in our thread:P

ROUKY5.gif

Opposition fans are a bit like when your younger you go into your neighbours house and start a fight with their kids then when the heat gets going you run back to your own house looking for backup.

Opposition fans are a bit like when your younger you go into your neighbours house and start a fight with their kids then when the heat gets going you run back to your own house looking for backup.

Only 2 more sleeps 'til the new season kicks off,bring it on.Thankfully the meh factor of last season seems to be well and truly gone,we could barely raise an argument with opposing fans as we were too busy bemoaning our sh1tness and arguing with each other.

• zerks wrote: »
    Only 2 more sleeps 'til the new season kicks off,bring it on.

hrw_i_told_her_poison_ivy_was_invited_oc

Super Sunday also....

Straight to the pub, then in-bits Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hey,why did you put a City gif in our thread:P

ROUKY5.gif

Batman gifs are my thing...

Kinda disappointed there is no fletch and sav on this year. I may not like them but at least they talk about football not like that yoke on sky.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I think you missed the point being made.

It's quite funny that of all the players, Pogba, Xhaka, Mané, Batshuayi and Sané the only one that he doesn't have any concerns over is the one Liverpool signed. :pac:

I understand his concerns about the price tag with Pogba, it's a lot of expectations on the player now, but I don't see in particular how he can have concerns over Xhaka, Sané and Batshuayi, all very talented and all who went for a similar price region, but then have no real concern about Mané, who don't get me wrong is a very good player too.

Football pundits can be funny at times due to their bias, something hard to kick with their playing careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So that is what they meant when the said Pogba would pay his fee back in shirt sales. Far more direct than I expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Kinda disappointed there is no fletch and sav on this year. I may not like them but at least they talk about football not like that yoke on sky.
    Dermot Gallagher's coverage really has nose dived lately.

ScrawnyDefinitiveDodo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Them bitches be backtrackin'
    Henry Winter ‏@henrywinter 27m27 minutes ago
    FIFPro member Dejan Stefanovic apologises to Mourinho for 'bullying' comment about Schweinsteiger, following intervention of Bevan LMA #mufc

• Advertisement

• TheTownie wrote: »

The Big Bitter Lemon

****-stirring for the sake of it

BT are doing their own version of Soccer Saturday from 2.30pm on Saturdays.

Speaking of tv coverage,Virgin Media are adamant that Sky's first 3pm game isn't until the end of August despite Everton v Spurs being advertised as live on SS5 this Saturday.Virgin really are ballsing things up with their sports coverage.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The Big Bitter Lemon

****-stirring for the sake of it

My boss could bully me all he wants by not letting me go to work and paying me every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

TheTownie wrote: »
    Henry Winter ‏@henrywinter 27m27 minutes ago
    FIFPro member Dejan Stefanovic apologises to Mourinho for 'bullying' comment about Schweinsteiger, following intervention of Bevan LMA #mufc

088b5078e31546dbc603f0ae89323154.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheTownie wrote: »

United probably threatened legal action. Could you imagine him trying to take on United in court over that.. United would bankrupt him.

BT are doing their own version of Soccer Saturday from 2.30pm on Saturdays.

Lovely! Sick of Merson, Thompson and Charlie at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This year the transfer season for us has been really great, Bailly looks good and strong, Micki when he settles should be super, Zlatan is showing he still has it and Pogba the signing our midfield desperately needed, and Mourinho to manage the team
    It was great as it should get us automatic CL qualification with a real chance of going for the title.

Next year the aim of the transfer season for us should be to get the players so we can win or the very least give ourselves a good chance at the CL.

I would like United to make that one big signing every summer, for example next summer I would like us to try and get Griezmann in to replace Rooney. Zlatan looks like a player barring injury this season, could still be in top form next season.
    United should get to the point where they will just need to add one 1st team player to the team. The debt will be paid off and United are serial winners again.

Very interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This is sad really, I don't think he is enjoying himself. I am sure he wants to be given a chance, but when injured last season he spent most of the time in Germany and would fly back to watch the matches.
    I think he is paying the price for that apart from Jose not seeing him as part of the team, but maybe he saw that and thought to himself 'Bastian should have stayed in Manchester and integrated with his colleagues when injured'.
    I think he didn't do himself any favours.

Now it all looks sad.

I wonder if she asked for staff discount!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement