Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Not sure if it's been posted already, but Timothy Fosu-Mensah has agreed a new long term deal with the club per the Daily Mail..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3734817/Manchester-United-defender-Timothy-Fosu-Mensah-agrees-new-long-term-deal-stay-Old-Trafford.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

KH25 wrote: »
    I miss the old United v Arsenal games. There's just nothing like it these days. 2 fantastic teams.
    From 1997 to 2005 it was the first game I always looked out for when fixtures came out.

Only team I genuinely feared when we played them in PL era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been posted already, but Timothy Fosu-Mensah has agreed a new long term deal with the club per the Daily Mail..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3734817/Manchester-United-defender-Timothy-Fosu-Mensah-agrees-new-long-term-deal-stay-Old-Trafford.html

That's great news... I thought he did a couple months ago but either way I'm delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ah we have a great stable of young lads at the moment now don't we. I was having a laugh in the transfer thread with some buck who was saying how City's buying was so much better than ours because they were planning for the future where as we were only looking for POGBOOM signings.

I'd say we have easily the best batch of young players in the league at the moment.

Pogba 23
    Lingard 23
    Bailly 22
    Depay 22
    Shaw 21
    Martial 20
    Pereira 20
    Wilson 20
    Borthwick Jackson 19
    Rashford 18
    Fosu-Mensah 18
    Tuanzebe 18

I left a few others out like Januzaj and Keane but those for me are the pick of the young lads and you wouldn't be upset to see any of them starting a game.

Had an argument with my liverpool friend the other day, Is the general consensus that Paul Scholes was a better player than Xabi Alonso, he said Alonso was better because he could do all what Scholes could do but also was a great tackler which Scholes wasn't. Couldn't really argue with him, would appreciate unbiased opinions

Paul Scholes, he scores goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Wow folks looks like I peed a lot of you off with the Vieria comment

For me they were one and the same in terms of influence,leadership etc. I think as united and Irish supporters we tend to laud Keane and everyone else is an also ran when compared to our Roy.

I'm not trying to start a debate but for me I couldn't chose between them . But you are all entitled to your opinions too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jayop wrote: »
    Ah we have a great stable of young lads at the moment now don't we. I was having a laugh in the transfer thread with some buck who was saying how City's buying was so much better than ours because they were planning for the future where as we were only looking for POGBOOM signings.

I'd say we have easily the best batch of young players in the league at the moment.

Pogba 23
    Lingard 23
    Bailly 22
    Depay 22
    Shaw 21
    Martial 20
    Pereira 20
    Wilson 20
    Borthwick Jackson 19
    Rashford 18
    Fosu-Mensah 18
    Tuanzebe 18

I left a few others out like Januzaj and Keane but those for me are the pick of the young lads and you wouldn't be upset to see any of them starting a game.

You could add DeGea to that as he is ridiculously young for a top goalkeeper.

Pogba 23
    Lingard 23
    Bailly 22
    Depay 22
    Shaw 21
    Martial 20
    Pereira 20
    Wilson 20
    Borthwick Jackson 19
    Rashford 18
    Fosu-Mensah 18
    Tuanzebe 18

Here's City's 23 and unders....

Zuculini 23
    Sterling 21
    Danayer 21
    Facey 21
    Sane 20
    Gunn 20
    Fuapala 19
    Celina 19
    Ineanacho 19
    Zinchenko 19
    Garcia 18

I didn't leave any of theirs out because I've never heard of most of them. Sane and Ineanacho are serious looking prospects, Sterling we all know about. The rest of them I've no idea about, but I wouldn't swap them for our young lads for love nor money.

Chelsea 23 and under

Van Ginkel 23
    Batshuayi 22
    Omeruo 22
    Piazon 22
    Zouma 21
    Miazga 21
    kenedy 20
    Traore 20
    Loftus Cheek 20

Chelsea have another 12 u23 player that I didn't list because it would take too long. They have a nicer looking batch of kids than City though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

jayo26 wrote: »
    That's great news... I thought he did a couple months ago but either way I'm delighted.

Think that was jackson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kagawa

RobertKK wrote: »
    Keane versus Juventus in 1999, did Viera ever have a game as good as that?

On that note, is there anywhere to get that match and those other great match's from 99, I'd love to watch them again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Pogba 23
    Lingard 23
    Bailly 22
    Depay 22
    Shaw 21
    Martial 20
    Pereira 20
    Wilson 20
    Borthwick Jackson 19
    Rashford 18
    Fosu-Mensah 18
    Tuanzebe 18

I really think we need to use lots of these guys in the Europa to be honest. Get them experience, it's not a high priority so long as we are doing what we should be in the league, get them used to playing together and experiment with systems (which is where the blueprint for the great 2006-11 teams came from, in the 05/06 Carling Cup). It makes a tonne more sense than playing the likes of Young or Valencia who have no higher ceiling, are each over 30, and will be gone in 1-2 years anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Can't be right.

Sure Jose hates youds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Zuculini 23
    Sterling 21
    Danayer 21
    Facey 21
    Sane 20
    Gunn 20
    Fuapala 19
    Celina 19
    Ineanacho 19
    Zinchenko 19
    Garcia 18

I didn't leave any of theirs out because I've never heard of most of them. Sane and Ineanacho are serious looking prospects, Sterling we all know about. The rest of them I've no idea about, but I wouldn't swap them for our young lads for love nor money.

I wouldn't mind if United signed Jason Denayer and honestly believe City could have saved themselves 47.5million if they played him instead of buying John Stones.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I really think we need to use lots of these guys in the Europa to be honest. Get them experience, it's not a high priority so long as we are doing what we should be in the league, get them used to playing together and experiment with systems (which is where the blueprint for the great 2006-11 teams came from, in the 05/06 Carling Cup). It makes a tonne more sense than playing the likes of Young or Valencia who have no higher ceiling, are each over 30, and will be gone in 1-2 years anyway.

This season we can potentially play more games than we've probably ever played in pne season before should we go to the final in all comps we play in.

Charity Shield 1
    League 38
    League Cup 6
    FA Cup 6
    Europa League 11

Total - 62 games

The likelyhood is that we'll play around 57/58 games so we should have loads of chances for the kids to get games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

If Mata goes, I go. :mad:

It would simplify things if you fell on the Jayo sword, take any martyr sepuku credit you need.

I wouldn't mind if United signed Jason Denayer and honestly believe City could have saved themselves 47.5million if they played him instead of buying John Stones.

Honestly I know nothing about him. Highly rated? Has he made many first team apps yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

There has to be less dickish ways to go about things. I wasn't buying that subbing the sub excuse. Added to the Schweinsteiger thing and it's not coming across too well already. Hopefully it's all just bs on the back of that substitution but that's probably just wishful thinking.

There has to be less dickish ways to go about things. I wasn't buying that subbing the sub excuse.

Added to the Schweinsteiger thing and it's not coming across too well already.

Hopefully it's all just bs on the back of that substitution but that's probably just wishful thinking.

There's a skill in reading between the lines.

Korat wrote: »
    There's a skill in reading between the lines.

Looks grand on touch, don't really give a sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This season we can potentially play more games than we've probably ever played in pne season before should we go to the final in all comps we play in.

Charity Shield 1
    League 38
    League Cup 6
    FA Cup 6
    Europa League 11

Total - 62 games

The likelyhood is that we'll play around 57/58 games so we should have loads of chances for the kids to get games.
    Completely, but I'd like to see them played together a lot as well, to build cohesion for the future. Plus, I don't want our best players out there on Thursday and then again on the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Keane was better than Vierra and Robson was better than Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Not really surprised if mata wants out to be honest. That was a bad form what mourinho did to him at charity shield.

Honestly I know nothing about him. Highly rated? Has he made many first team apps yet?

Hasn't played for Cities first team yet as they shipped him out on loan 12 months after he signed for them to Celtic and Galatasaray for first team experience. Has played 69 times with 13 of them games in European competitions and has 7 caps for the Belgian national team so he's played a fair bit in his only two seasons of playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

bangkok wrote: »
    Not really surprised if mata wants out to be honest. That was a bad form what mourinho did to him at charity shield.

Mountain out of a molehill.

I would be flabbergasted if Mata wants out over that.

If jose wanted mata out wouldn't he just do what he did with bastian?
    I don't see why he would pussy around mata and risk upsetting the squad there would be plenty of takers for mata I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

If Liverpool offered £20m for Mata you'd be daft not to consider it.

He won't be sold this summer, unless an eyewatering bid somewhere near 25m is placed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I doubt Jose see's Mata as anything more than a squad player, if Mata wants to leave I suspect he'll be allowed. I think he'll probably wait until January at least though. His days at United are numbered and I'd be shocked if he was still there next summer. He won't want to be a squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

He won't sold be this summer.

Mata would be :pac:

I think there definitely was something to the substitution. Probably to let him know he won't be getting much time and to push for the move himself rather than stick a popular player like that up for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Are people forgetting Mourinho brought on Mata before Mkhitaryan and Rashford when we were looking for the 2nd goal? It was purely tactical to bring off the smallest player on the pitch when Leicester were lumping balls into the box and you wouldn't take Ibra or Fellaini off if thats happening.

• Advertisement

Been on here just over a year and half and I never seen confidence so high and moaning so low lol. It's like a different forum.

If we get off to a slow start I'd say that could change very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Are people forgetting Mourinho brought on Mata before Mkhitaryan and Rashford when we were looking for the 2nd goal? It was purely tactical to bring off the smallest player on the pitch when Leicester were lumping balls into the box and you wouldn't take Ibra or Fellaini off if thats happening.

Tbh, between this and the Schwi story, I feel as if there's nearly a mentality of wanting there to be some massive drama, so people can go "Ha, told you he'd cause trouble".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

how much taller was the sub coming on?

Was the sub more of a defensive minded player..like a CB coming on for a CF..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

dfx- wrote: »

Mkhi is apparently 1.77m. Mata is 1.7m

Worth noting as well...it wasn't JUST the height. He had one sub left and wanted to use it to waste time. So to use it, he opted to take off Mata. Afaik, the people who had started the game and were still on were De Gea, Valencia, Bailly, Fellaini and Ibrahimovic. So if he's bringing on Mkhi, it's either Fel or Ibra (attacking players instead of defenders) in terms of who to choose from who have played 90 minutes, neither of whom he wanted to take off cause their height was a factor. Not going to take off a defender either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

4 inches. ......ask any woman it makes a huge difference! !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Mata scored in the FA Cup final, didn't Jose say his team selection was based on the team that did so well in winning the cup last season? That's probably why he came on. Mata won't start many games under Jose if he stays I'd put money on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Been on here just over a year and half and I never seen confidence so high and moaning so low lol. It's like a different forum.

Yeah, very positive in here at moment and so it should be, i know winning the prem is out of the question as Liverpool won that last week with their 4-0 drubbing of Barca but we can get at least second :pac::pac:

Hasn't played for Cities first team yet as they shipped him out on loan 12 months after he signed for them to Celtic and Galatasaray for first team experience. Has played 69 times with 13 of them games in European competitions and has 7 caps for the Belgian national team so he's played a fair bit in his only two seasons of playing.

Sounds impressive. Nothing better than a lad going on load and actually getting loads of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Certain posters that moan aren't posting as regularly either :) understandable I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

He won't be sold this summer, unless an eyewatering bid somewhere near 25m is placed.

If Liverpool can get 32.5m for Benteke then Mata is worth at least that, if the Mata of 3 or 4 years ago for chelsea was transferred today he would be a 50-60m player. Hes never had the chance to play the number 10 role at united and should be in the team ideally ahead of Rooney, he's just turned 28 and in his prime years, a front 4 of Mkhitaryan Mata Martial and Ibra would terrorise teams, putting Martial as the lone forward with Mkhitaryan on the left and Rashford on the right has even more potential

If Liverpool can get 32.5m for Benteke then Mata is worth at least that, if the Mata of 3 or 4 years ago for chelsea was transferred today he would be a 50-60m player. Hes never had the chance to play the number 10 role at united and should be in the team ideally ahead of Rooney, he's just turned 28 and in his prime years, a front 4 of Mkhitaryan Mata Martial and Ibra would terrorise teams, putting Martial as the lone forward with Mkhitaryan on the left and Rashford on the right has even more potential

Pace, panache, Power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Zuculini 23
    Sterling 21
    Danayer 21
    Facey 21
    Sane 20
    Gunn 20
    Fuapala 19
    Celina 19
    Ineanacho 19
    Zinchenko 19
    Garcia 18

Your forgetting
    Gabriel Jesus
    Patrick Roberts
    Enes Ünal
    Marcus Lopes
    Marlos Moreno
    prob a few more and they would be important players you left out there.

Your forgetting
    Gabriel Jesus
    Patrick Roberts
    Enes Ünal
    Marcus Lopes
    Marlos Moreno
    prob a few more and they would be important players you left out there.

Are they out on loan or something because they weren't in their squad list on google.

Edit: yeah, out on load so didn't appear on squad list.

Nalz wrote: »
    Certain posters that moan aren't posting as regularly either :) understandable I suppose

I miss Mitch :):)

Only kidding.

I actually can't remember who the moaniest were it's been so long it's just Mitch always stood out for his transfer market tantrums but I'd say they are worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Are they out on loan or something because they weren't in their squad list on google.

Edit: yeah, out on load so didn't appear on squad list.

Yea there on loan misread your post,but Jesus will be in the squad after Christmas so guess you can add him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Just wait, we'll lose to Bournemouth at the weekend and this place will be infested :P

Was the sub more of a defensive minded player..like a CB coming on for a CF..

A Mascherano type player would be great, if you had one on hand on the bench.

Harry Arter seems to be still missing for Bournmouth. He's a big loss to them.

• Advertisement

Hopefully not, last seasons boring start totally ruined MotD with United being on last for the first 4 weeks.
    Sounds impressive. Nothing better than a lad going on load and actually getting loads of games.

Yeah Celtic and City have a bit of a working relationship with City lately with Patrick Roberts on loan too and looks a serious talent, wouldn't mind him either at United.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement