Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

This talk isn't really for the Man Utd thread, but last season off the top of my head Ozil contributed in goals or assists in matches against Man Utd, Man City, Tottenham, Bayern Munich, Leicester. Not really what I'd call a bottler in big games.

Anyway apologies for taking the thread OT.

Having an assist in a game doesn't mean he played well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

jayo26 wrote: »
    They were very slow and dull bit of lvg about them but a win is a win I'd take it from out game tomorrow aswell.

Was a good warm up today the real fun begins tomorrow.

I think that type of play is exactly what we are going to get tomorrow.

Hopefully the result will mirror it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

gosplan wrote: »
    Ha ha.

There are many many ways that Arsenal are inferior to the teams around them.

You managed to miss them all there and pick an area we come out well on top.

Seriously? Over the last 20 encounters with Man united how many games have ye won?

Wenger has never beaten mourinho in a competitive match.

Hammered nearly every champions league knock out stage.

No league in over 10 years.

No champions league in yer history.

Big game bottlers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

bangkok wrote: »
    Seriously? Over the last 20 encounters with Man united how many games have ye won?

Big game bottlers

I see Jose mentality has filtered its way into some of the fans already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

astradave wrote: »
    Januzaj hits the first man with the last corner/touch of the match.. ffs..

Like pretty much the vast majority of corners, from every corner-taker in every team these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I think that type of play is exactly what we are going to get tomorrow.

Hopefully the result will mirror it

Yeh I can't see it been exciting. We need a few positive results to get the momentum going it will be the same with city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Big game bottlers

At least we can read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Feels like a match thread here. Roll on tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Big game bottlers

I think he is talking about the No.10 position :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Having an assist in a game doesn't mean he played well.

Yeah that's true, but goals and assists are what win games, so calling him a big game bottler is untrue. So we will have to agree to disagree on whether Ozil is a big game bottler, as we can't prove it either way, only by using goals and assists. I also see that you have now moved on from Ozil and now calling Arsenal bottlers, fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm expecting a 2 or 3-1 game tomorrow. Zlatan to get a double.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

I dont see nor ever have what the fuss is about Januzai, I dont think he will ever be a top player

• GSPfan wrote: »
    I'm expecting a 2 or 3-1 game tomorrow. Zlatan to get a double.

He' still pretty decent price for anytime goalscorer.
    But it's gone down, I got him last @ 3-1 last week.

For tomorrow 2-1 result at the most I'd say. Expecting a scrappy game again.
    Rooney needs to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He' still pretty decent price for anytime goalscorer.
    But it's gone down, I got him last @ 3-1 last week.

For tomorrow 2-1 result at the most I'd say. Expecting a scrappy game again.
    Rooney needs to cop on.

To help his confidence I've even put him into my FF team...

...I may have made a mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

My post about Fonte may have grown some legs,reported this evening that United had 2 representatives at the Southampton game to work on an £8 million deal.
    https://twitter.com/VRodriguezlaw/status/764516689761411073

• Advertisement

• zerks..match thread dude!

zerks wrote: »
    My post about Fonte may have grown some legs,reported this evening that United had 2 representatives at the Southampton game to work on an £8 million deal.

Sorry but he is the biggest bull****ter on twitter who's name isn't IndyKalia :pac:

Hes gonna sign now isn't he :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

niallo27 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

zerks wrote: »

price is about all i would spend on him at his age

Yeah that's true, but goals and assists are what win games, so calling him a big game bottler is untrue. So we will have to agree to disagree on whether Ozil is a big game bottler, as we can't prove it either way, only by using goals and assists. I also see that you have now moved on from Ozil and now calling Arsenal bottlers, fair enough.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother. When anyone says player "xyz" is a big game bottler it's obvious that player is good and have nothing to say against him. So lets just throw some **** at him saying big game bottler and all that nonsense.

Anyone who watched Ozil, it's obvious what a quality player he is and he is the type of player who decides games in an instant.

Btw what I said doesn't apply to Higuain though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

magnumbud wrote: »
    price is about all i would spend on him at his age

Experience is the issue with our centre halves though

• niallo27 wrote: »

LOL you're back

Thought you were missing! ;)

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Experience is the issue with our centre halves though

Not really. Smalling is 26, will be 27 in November. He is playing at top level for Manutd since 2010. More than enough experience to lead the defense.

Blind is 26 and playing at top level for many years.

Bailly is inexperienced though.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    If I were you, I wouldn't bother. When anyone says player "xyz" is a big game bottler it's obvious that player is good and have nothing to say against him. So lets just throw some **** at him saying big game bottler and all that nonsense.

Anyone who watched Ozil, it's obvious what a quality player he is and he is the type of player who decides games in an instant.

Btw what I said doesn't apply to Higuain though :D

I remember it being said often about Henry and Ronaldo.

Jesus, I'd love either of those two bottlers in any team. Imagine both of them and Ozil - what you could do to the Wigans and Hulls of the world. Sadly you'd be **** against the top teams though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Fonte would be a great bit of business from United I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

niallo27 wrote: »

Shut up, Niallo!

7e983c574eef2f57b961000bbd47a223.jpg

Not really. Smalling is 26, will be 27 in November. He is playing at top level for Manutd since 2010. More than enough experience to lead the defense.

Blind is 26 and playing at top level for many years.

Bailly is inexperienced though.

Up until last Season we hadn't seen consistent good performances from Smalling. And, imo, Smalling's success last year was largely due to the way LvG set up and wasn't quite at the height that some people were praising him for, he still makes a hell of a lot of positional errors. I don't think it was any coincidence that he stopped receiving the plaudits in Dec/Jan last season when LvG loosened the reigns a little on the midfield a little. So void of a proper consistent body of work behind him I'd still worry and wouldn't consider him a seasoned CB.

Blind hadn't played CB regularly before this in his career and is a far shout from a high standard, plus I don't think he's Jose's type of CB anyway.

All in all, when our two "senior" centre halves can be described like that I think it makes sense to bring in someone who's experienced a lot more regardless of age.

Jesus, I'd love either of those two bottlers in any team. Imagine both of them and Ozil - what you could do to the Wigans and Hulls of the world. Sadly you'd be **** against the top teams though.

Yeah remember it was used against Ronaldo till very recently.

Nonsense argument. It's not even difficult choice, Ozil is pure quality. His precision passing is joy for any striker.

It's the only stick left to beat them with at a certain stage. Once you're being accused of being a bottler you know you've made it.

Sure Messi can't win an international tournament pff

• Advertisement

Up until last Season we hadn't seen consistent good performances from Smalling. And, imo, Smalling's success last year was largely due to the way LvG set up and wasn't quite at the height that some people were praising him for, he still makes a hell of a lot of positional errors. I don't think it was any coincidence that he stopped receiving the plaudits in Dec/Jan last season when LvG loosened the reigns a little on the midfield a little. So void of a proper consistent body of work behind him I'd still worry and wouldn't consider him a seasoned CB.

Blind hadn't played CB regularly before this in his career and is a far shout from a high standard, plus I don't think he's Jose's type of CB anyway.

All in all, when our two "senior" centre halves can be described like that I think it makes sense to bring in someone who's experienced a lot more regardless of age.

I agree, while Smalling may be experienced in game time etc, i have serious reservations about him organising the defence, it would be good to have someone like Fonte, who has captained Southampton and he seems to be very vocal. I think thats what the defence has been lacking since Rio/Vidic left.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Shut up, Niallo!

7e983c574eef2f57b961000bbd47a223.jpg

That's class. The perfect response to nearly everything.

Smalling was quality for whole season except very few games in between. He is more than experienced enough to lead the defense. How Van Gaal set up is not much of an issue considering Smalling was always very good defender but had injury problems.

Rio, Vidic, Terry, Carvalho were not in their 30s when they were considered senior experienced CBs. Terry and carvalho were 24 and 25 when they played together.

Even in preseason Blind played as CB. He might not be typical Jose's CB but in every interview Jose mentioned Carrick, Schneiderlin, Herrera for midfield choice but not once mentioned Blind. It's obvious Blind will play in the defense.

Jose wants 2 players for each position. Considering 2 out of 4 CBs are senior CBs, how many more do we need? Also Jones is at the club for 5 years now. They have injury problems not lack of experience.

Signing experience is all good but what if the said player always played at lower level and fail to step up?

Also we have Carrick, Valencia, Rooney, Ibra in the first 11. All are 30 or 30 plus, surely we don't need more players who are 30 plus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Whether you think Ozil is brilliant or not is a good indication of whether you have a clue imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tony V pure casual :D

At least he has some pants on this time.

astradave wrote: »

Pogba's laugh...

Great to see the two egos (who also happen to be monster talents!) appear to be getting on well, though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The wife just remind me to record match of the day for her because Gary is gonna be in his boxers.

#Imluckytohaveher

Smalling was quality for whole season except very few games in between. He is more than experienced enough to lead the defense. How Van Gaal set up is not much of an issue considering Smalling was always very good defender but had injury problems.

Rio, Vidic, Terry, Carvalho were not in their 30s when they were considered senior experienced CBs. Terry and carvalho were 24 and 25 when they played together.

Even in preseason Blind played as CB. He might not be typical Jose's CB but in every interview Jose mentioned Carrick, Schneiderlin, Herrera for midfield choice but not once mentioned Blind. It's obvious Blind will play in the defense.

Jose wants 2 players for each position. Considering 2 out of 4 CBs are senior CBs, how many more do we need? Also Jones is at the club for 5 years now. They have injury problems not lack of experience.

Signing experience is all good but what if the said player always played at lower level and fail to step up?

Also we have Carrick, Valencia, Rooney, Ibra in the first 11. All are 30 or 30 plus, surely we don't need more players who are 30 plus?

You're equating years at the club with experience which is wrong. It comes down to matches played, and particularly the number of matches you've played since you "got it" i.e. grasped the role and your own ability/weaknesses within it.

Like I said, I don't believe Smalling was anywhere near as good as pundits et al. were praising him for. Our best CB, sure, but a brilliant one no. He has always suffered from positional lapses and his pace compensates for this to some extent but he still gets caught out by it and our style last year covered for him. Rio had the same problems early on but he had figured them out largely before the same stage in his career.

He played Blind because he was the best option he had, I think you'll see a lot more of Smalling + Bailly/Fonte though from now on. And I'd hazard a guess that the reason he doesn't mention him as a midfielder is because he's not exactly amazing there either. Let's stop talking about Daley Blind as some kind of world beater that can play three positions at PL level.

Playing at Southampton in the premier league is hardly at a hugely lower level though is it?

If they're the best option we have then why not? I've never known Jose Mourinho to worry about his average age before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

So folks what do ye think our best 11 is now ?
    I presume Jose will play 4231 with everyone available who starts in cm? Pogba and Carrick ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    I presume Jose will play 4231 with everyone available who starts in cm? Pogba and Carrick ?

Half the board just clenched their ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Am I right in saying a 2 goal win puts us top tomorrow?

You're equating years at the club with experience which is wrong. It comes down to matches played, and particularly the number of matches you've played since you "got it" i.e. grasped the role and your own ability/weaknesses within it.

Like I said, I don't believe Smalling was anywhere near as good as pundits et al. were praising him for. Our best CB, sure, but a brilliant one no. He has always suffered from positional lapses and his pace compensates for this to some extent but he still gets caught out by it and our style last year covered for him. Rio had the same problems early on but he had figured them out largely before the same stage in his career.

He played Blind because he was the best option he had, I think you'll see a lot more of Smalling + Bailly/Fonte though from now on. And I'd hazard a guess that the reason he doesn't mention him as a midfielder is because he's not exactly amazing there either. Let's stop talking about Daley Blind as some kind of world beater that can play three positions at PL level.

Playing at Southampton in the premier league is hardly at a hugely lower level though is it?

If they're the best option we have then why not? I've never known Jose Mourinho to worry about his average age before.

Smalling played more games in PL than Fonte, more games for England than Fonte did for Portugal.

Smalling Bailly combination is good enough and then we have back ups in Blind and Jones.

Blind is not a world beater but a very good player who can play as CB and did very well in that position last season. Even against Leicester he was very good.

Btw what you are saying as out of position was pure Van Gaal tactics. Jose even mentioned that in one of his interviews. CBs were told to follow the striker so obviously CBs are dragged all over the place. Now if you watch our CBs they don't do that. They play in their zones.

Lets agree to disagree regarding Smalling's performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

So long as neither Arsenal or Liverpool do the same then yeah 2-0 or 3-1 and top of the world it is.

Am I right in saying a 2 goal win puts us top tomorrow?

Headshot wrote: »
    Didnt we get around 5m for McNair.

Great bit of business from utd tbh

Not if we lose the league by a point or 2 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:
    The wife just remind me to record match of the day for her because Gary is gonna be in his boxers.

You should thank your lucky stars each and every day dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

yabadabado wrote: »

I'd go with De Gea, Shaw, Smalling, Bailly, Valencia, Herrera, Pogba, Martial, Micki, Zlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I'd go with De Gea, Shaw, Smalling, Bailly, Valencia, Herrera, Pogba, Martial, Micki, Zlatan.

I'd say Jose will opt for the full 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I don't think it's crazy to appreciate the ability someone like Özil has but still believe they don't show up on the biggest stage.

It's a criticism I've had of Zlatan & Pogba also.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I think it might be more tactically astute to start the game with 11 players.

EDIT: F*** YOU, DEAD DONKEY!! :mad: :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement