Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Billy86 wrote:
    I think it might be more tactically astute to start the game with 11 players.

Are you zerks in disguise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

zerks wrote:
    First match thread of the new season people:

You're doing it right

• beno619 wrote: »
    I don't think it's crazy to appreciate the ability someone like Özil has but still believe they don't show up on the biggest stage.

It's a criticism I've had of Zlatan & Pogba also.

I argue this kind of thinking always

People use this excuse for Ronaldo aswell

What's considered the "Big Stage"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

M!Ck^ wrote: »

It's a bit of an arbitrary boll*cks of a phrase like "world class" and "controlling the game" that has a different meaning depending on who you're talking to/arguing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just reading the op on match thread and the bit that says Smalling and pogba missing for bans I have to admit I was smiling for two minutes for fuk sake we have POGBA back at the club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

beno619 wrote: »
    I don't think it's crazy to appreciate the ability someone like Özil has but still believe they don't show up on the biggest stage.

It's a criticism I've had of Zlatan & Pogba also.

The crazy thing is expecting a player to be as influential against top class opponents as he is against teams of less ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

zerks wrote: »

I'm staying clear of match threads, I can't handle them anymore :P

Going to just (hopefully) enjoy the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I'd say Jose will opt for the full 11.

Sorry Rooney is just a bit forgettable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Sorry Rooney is just a bit forgettable.

set yourself up for that on purpose didn't you :D

Jose on Memphis and Rashford
    “Depay is very much part of my squad,” Mourinho said. “I know you look at the last match and he was not even on the bench but in September we have the EFL Cup, Europa League and Premier League, so that will be the end of the frustration for the players not being selected at the moment. I was impressed with Depay at the last World Cup and that was two years ago when he was a very young kid.

“I watched him many times at PSV, and having that player in mind, I want to keep him. Especially as I see a good boy, a good professional. You can see him driving a nice car and think his mind is not on football but that is not the case. I don’t care what people think, I believe in him. He is frustrated with what happened last season when he lost all his confidence but he will be back.”

Rashford, too, will have to be patient and await his chance, despite having broken through to the extent of playing for England last season, though the striker is only 18 and arguably ahead of schedule. “I see why English football has such high hopes for him, I like him a lot,” Mourinho said.

“He’s very good but he is still a young boy with a lot to learn. At his age he can have ups and downs, and you have to be ready to support him if that is the case. Potentially he’s a very good player indeed and he is already a good professional. The way he works and the way he lives, it is all good.

“Whether he remains in the England squad is up to Big Sam [Allardyce] now, it is not my decision, but I can say he is one of my important players and he will play a lot this season. After that Sam will make up his own mind

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/13/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-memphis-depay-marcus-rashford?CMP=share_btn_tw

Castles saying Everton have offered £9 million for Fonte.

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/764570916755996672

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There's no great mystery mick. Take all the games, pick out the ones where the guy you don't like didn't light up the stadium and you've found the 'big games'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Now that Mourinho doesn't think a guy driving his car to things he has to go to isn't a big deal I imagine the fury against Depay will fade away.

Hope Mourinho doesn't have any issues with guys arranging prostitutes for their mates or people will be in serious moral confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Zlatan has regularly flattered to deceive in the knockout phase of the CL.

People falsely attributing it to Ronaldo doesn't hide the fact that others have been guilty of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Half the board just clenched their ass

you want to elaborate ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ronaldo has done it on the biggest stages all through his career, champions league finals, fa cup final, league cup final, Manchester Derbys, El classicos, international level when Portugal needed him most.

In 3 seasons in England, it was only ozils first 6 months of last season where he was actually good. His first 2 seasons were meh, his 2nd half of last season was also meh

I Will also add, mata was a much better player than ozil was when he was at Chelsea for 2 seasons, ozil will never hit the heights of mata back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

bangkok wrote: »
    I Will also add, mata was a much better player than ozil was when he was at Chelsea for 2 seasons, ozil will never hit the heights of mata back then.

Ozil was better last year than Mata was for at least 1 of those years. Mata was really good in 2012/2013 I think it was where he had 10+ league goals which Ozil won't ever match. I still think Ozil was far better last year than Mata ever was at Chelsea; if Arsenal wasn't full of such crap finishers his assist stats would have been even more mental than they already are.

Mata was great and still is but Ozil is different gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Only catching up with MOTD now, for whatever reason I was delighted to see Stones at fault for the goal. Not sure where the irrational dislike of him comes from, but it is certainly there.

Very interesting tactical approach from City, one that could really see them dominate teams or see them get torn asunder if the players are not really up for it! The full backs are being asked to do much more then they would be used to, and didn't look very comfortable today.

City were poor enough overall I felt, wouldn't mind the same performance and result from ourselves tomorrow mind you!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ozil had a nice debut iirc.

Only catching up with MOTD now, for whatever reason I was delighted to see Stones at fault for the goal. Not sure where the irrational dislike of him comes from, but it is certainly there.

Very interesting tactical approach from City, one that could really see them dominate teams or see them get torn asunder if the players are not really up for it! The full backs are being asked to do much more then they would be used to, and didn't look very comfortable today.

City were poor enough overall I felt, wouldn't mind the same performance and result from ourselves tomorrow mind you!

Peps Bayern took a long while to get up to pace in the german league from my memory.. Obviously they have quality players to compete but all they played was a sunderland team with a brand new manager themselves. In a league where the diference in class is a lot less from top to bottom it will be interesting to see what happens if the team struggle.

You add in him dropping Hart (which I think is perfectly fine) but the press could easily use it against him if results are poor at the start.

Also did u record MOTD or watch it on the web link me if its the 2nd choice please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Recorded it bud, yeah was thinking the same about Hart, that Caballero ****ty clearance goes the other way and I think they would already be on his back about dropping the England number 1 goalie!

Yeah they were boring as **** (as a lot of Pep teams are) in Germany for a long time, it will take him time and it will be his biggest test obviously but would be a brave man to bet against him at the same time. Some very clear similarities between himself and Van Gaal, it never caught fire for Louis. Remains to be seen for Pep, if he gets in the players he wants I am sure it will click for him in time. Time is not something a manager gets these days though and in particular in the Premier League.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Seems to be a lot of chatter now about an £8m bid for Fonte and the player wanting the move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

keane2097 wrote: »
    There's no great mystery mick. Take all the games, pick out the ones where the guy you don't like didn't light up the stadium and you've found the 'big games'.

I was a huge Özil fan and gutted we didn't challenge Arsenal for his signature but I'm happy the way things have fallen.

I rate Mata higher and believe he has a greater impact on the big occasions.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of chatter now about an £8m bid for Fonte and the player wanting the move.

It's small money so if he brings some experience he could be a larry blanc type of signing.

I wonder who would be kicked out of Squad I can't see any of them been sold now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    It's small money so if he brings some experience he could be a larry blanc type of signing.

I wonder who would be kicked out of Squad I can't see any of them been sold now.

My guess would be Blind; it's been said that Jose sees him as a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None", that he's too slight to be a Jose style defender but 6th choice midfielder. At the same time, we'd also probably get more for him than a Rojo or a Jones.

Just had a little read up, Castles is saying in his sunday times article that Fonte had a gentleman's agreement with Southampton and he wants them to allow him to move.
    zerks wrote: »
    Castles saying Everton have offered £9 million for Fonte.

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/764570916755996672

I know the tweet is from yesterday but the article is from end of july/start of august. Old news :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Must be brutal being a Southampton fan. Mané, Wanyama, Pellè and now maybe Fonte. They get butchered every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So basically what you're saying is Mata is better because Utd signed him and that's the way you approach these things.

My guess would be Blind; it's been said that Jose sees him as a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None", that he's too slight to be a Jose style defender but 6th choice midfielder. At the same time, we'd also probably get more for him than a Rojo or a Jones.

First off ill say I actually don't think we will sign him or disrupt the squad BUT IF WE DO....

We will disagree on this but I think we would be crazy to leave blind go for fonte if I was swapping defender for defender it would be jones I'd send on loan to test his fitness or else just get rid.

If we were gonna sign fonte I think it could be higher up the pitch we sacrifice maybe dare I say Herrera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Someone posted a link last night claiming Everton had bid 9 million

*edit reposted just above

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Someone posted a link last night claiming Everton had bid 9 million

The article was from 2/3 weeks ago so I don't know if anything has come of that. I'm sure something would have been said if the bid was accepted/rejected so might have just been a rumour/gossip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

All week I was cursing the amount of days til match time.

Now it's hours.

Come on time, hurry up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Yeah I can see Jones going on loan if Fonte was signed. Jones just can't be relied on in any capacity so I hope Fonte is signed to be honest. If Rojo was moved on then Blind could play left back too. Blind is great to have.

gosplan wrote: »
    So basically what you're saying is Mata is better because Utd signed him and that's the way you approach these things.

Well mata was the Chelsea player of the year 2 years in a row, won leagues with Chelsea and champions league. I just think in the big games ozil goes missing.
    Some arsenal fans were saying the same so it's not that far of a stretch to think so too

Game day, can't wait to see ibrahimovic rip it up today

Build up of match hasn't even started yet and stupid comments been thrown out in match thread all ready. It's hard to have the interest in commenting or chatting there or even following it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Well mata was the Chelsea player of the year 2 years in a row, won leagues with Chelsea and champions league. I just think in the big games ozil goes missing.
    Some arsenal fans were saying the same so it's not that far of a stretch to think so too

He won the Champions League and the fa cup, hes never won a league in England. Over the last season Ozil has been the better player, not by a huge stretch but a better player and more important.

I love Mata as a player and yes he was Chelsea's player of the year twice but Ozil has been a better player. Mata is a likeable guy and as such some fans like to forgive some of the games that he himself goes missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yes, yes it is.

Ozil is and has always been world class. He's more often than not the top assister in whatever league he's in. He's been German player of the year 4 times. He makes Baloon D'Or short lists.

This isn't about interpretation or debate. You're just plain wrong and anyone with a clue will tell you so.

This isn't me vrs you or Man U vrs Arsenal. Ozil has had a better career than Mata and is a better player.

That's why Arsenal will probably lose him next summer. No Arsenal fan in their right minds would think 'sure what difference, we can just sign Mata'

jayo26 wrote: »
    Build up of match hasn't even started yet and stupid comments been thrown out in match thread all ready. It's hard to have the interest in commenting or chatting there or even following it.

I unfollowed it after reading it there. Think they are going to be ten times worse this year with the Jose factor added in

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Zlatan thinks he could be at United for three years or more.

https://twitter.com/manutduniverse/status/764507286656131072

Really nice interview there.

astradave wrote: »
    I unfollowed it after reading it there. Think they are going to be ten times worse this year with the Jose factor added in

Yeh it's unreal between zlatan and jose they have enough sh1te to talk about. The best part of it all is that when I checked 20 mins ago there was not one united fan after talking crap in the arsenal vs pool thread.

gosplan wrote: »
    Yes, yes it is.

Ozil is and has always been world class. He's more often than not the top assister in whatever league he's in. He's been German player of the year 4 times. He makes Baloon D'Or short lists.

This isn't about interpretation or debate. You're just plain wrong and anyone with a clue will tell you so.

This isn't me vrs you or Man U vrs Arsenal. Ozil has had a better career than Mata and is a better player.

That's why Arsenal will probably lose him next summer. No Arsenal fan in their right minds would think 'sure what difference, we can just sign Mata'

World class, now there's a word that gets thrown around a lot. Ozil is a very good player, would never describe him as world class, goes missing far too often and doesn't score enough goals.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Slightly random question for ye. Where would be the best place to pick up a poster of the 2016/17 squad? HMV used to be great for the big posters back in the day, but I can't think of anywhere else. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

An File wrote: »
    Slightly random question for ye. Where would be the best place to pick up a poster of the 2016/17 squad? HMV used to be great for the big posters back in the day, but I can't think of anywhere else. :o

You could try the united store but they probably won't be available until the squad is finalised after the transfer window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Nice midfield :cool: ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement