Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

• Nalz wrote: »
    Rooney wasn't great today but he wasn't terrible.

He gets overally criticised and then gets overally defended by others.

Was a bit in the middle today but I worry about him ever being a "big" player for us. I hope I'm wrong and he hits a purple patch for 8-10 games this season.

Why has this now become acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

54761-Mrw-I-End-A-Phone-Conversation-With-A-Customer-With-Love-You-Too.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

adox wrote: »
    It is in one way and Blind did play really well but I think we would be fooling ourselves if we thought he was a long term solution for CB.

Blind was very good overall last season and was very good again today.

I wouldn't want him against Lukaku but against sides with average sized forwards or who play football on the ground he is a great option.

United don't have a Rio Ferdinand who will play in every game he is fit. The CBs are going to get swapped around now depending on the opposition.

TheTownie wrote: »

When one of the journalists phone was vibrating I frantically started looking for mine :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Pro. F wrote: »
    What did I misrepresent about what Whatsisname said? He claims he never even mentioned Ibra ffs.

Are you always this purposely pedantic? You brought Ibra into the debate, not me. I answered in relation to Ibra and was told I did not answer you and have seemingly been added to the list of not being worthy enough to engage with Pro F.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheTownie wrote: »

Any transcripts floating around dya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If Rooney had misplaced as many simple passes or had as few shots as Ibra today he would be being slaughtered for it right now. But there's not been a single mention of those aspects of Ibra's game today. Shows the quality of analysis coming from Rooney's critics.

After thinking about this for a while I think it's unfair to be tarring all of Rooney's critics with the same brush. There are some who go overboard in their criticisms and plenty who are more reasonable, that post would only apply to the former.

astradave wrote: »
    Any transcripts floating around dya know?

Tried copy pasting but way too long :P

https://josesunited.wordpress.com/2016/08/14/post-match-press-conference-jose-mourinho-1-3-win-vs-bournemouth-a-pl/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

According to whoscored he had 4 unsuccessful touches - joint second most of all 10s and CFs this weekend, behind Kane (6); Llorente and Berahino were both 4 as well. And was disposed twice - the same as 7 other players; there were 8 players with 3+ disposessions. I'd say given how much more he was involved with possession than most in his position (3rd most total passes, 25% more passes than 4th place), that those numbers are fine, but it's open to interpretation.

Dont get me wrong I'm not bashing him or saying he is worst I was just pointing out he had a fair few faults today too.

I do agree with you he does get more bashing then other players and doesn't deserve most of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was working so only had it in in a stream while I was meant be working;)

Not going give opinion on how players did as be very unfair on what I saw, but delighted with the win.

Today was just about 3 points and just getting into the grove so to speak. Jose teams generally start very slow so this is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Are you always this purposely pedantic? You brought Ibra into the debate, not me. I answered in relation to Ibra and was told I did not answer you and have seemingly been added to the list of not being worthy enough to engage with Pro F.

Of course I brought Ibra into the debate. I made the first post on the topic and it was explicitly about Ibra and Rooney. You started responding to things I didn't say and then later tried to claim you never even mentioned Ibra. Calling you on a strawman isn't being pedantic, you've just been all over the shop with your argument.

Of course I brought Ibra into the debate. I made the first post on the topic and it was explicitly about Ibra and Rooney. You started responding to things I didn't say and then later tried to claim you never even mentioned Ibra.

Not gonna repeat myself again cause you only read what you want to read. Have a good evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Personally I would have him starting over Rooney OR Mata (Zlatan up front, Mkh & Martial out wide, Pogba +1 in CM)... but that's just me. :o

Feckin' love Ander. One of the most wrongly-and-underutilised/underappreciated players in England if not Europe for the last 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Why has this now become acceptable?

Never said it was and I think many know it isn't.

Still doesn't mean he was muck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

-12 points for next week on ff.

The culling began.

Donno what he said but sounds like it was to do with his award ha

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJGD2FjAuEK/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

jayo26 wrote: »
    Donno what he said but sounds like it was to do with his award ha

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJGD2FjAuEK/

Wishing happy birthday to his brother I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

"Vidic was more hard and played really hard. He was my favourite player at United and in the Premier League. I want to be like him with my performances for United.”

Eric Bailly . Nice to see a young player playing like his favourite player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Discodog wrote: »
    "Vidic was more hard and played really hard. He was my favourite player at United and in the Premier League. I want to be like him with my performances for United.”

Eric Bailly . Nice to see a young player playing like his favourite player.

He's certainly made a good start and is heading in the right direction today. A one point today, he made a powerful interception, cleared the ball and the Bournemouth player nearly ended up in the car park.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

He's certainly made a good start and is heading in the right direction today. A one point today, he made a powerful interception, cleared the ball and the Bournemouth player nearly ended up in the car park.:)

What I really like about him, apart from his obvious qualities that he has shown(yes I know it is very very early in his Utd career) is his decisiveness in everything he does. He never seems to hesitate, he just makes his decision and commits to it.
    That speaks of a player who is confident in his game.

He does and will make some rash challenges at times but I would prefer to see that and for him to learn from that than hesitancy or trying to hide a little.

A hugely exciting prospect and even at this early stage it looks like his game is really suited to the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What I really like about him, apart from his obvious qualities that he has shown(yes I know it is very very early in his Utd career) is his decisiveness in everything he does. He never seems to hesitate, he just makes his decision and commits to it.
    That speaks of a player who is confident in his game.

He does and will make some rash challenges at times but I would prefer to see that and for him to learn from that than hesitancy or trying to hide a little.

A hugely exciting prospect and even at this early stage it looks like his game is really suited to the premier league.

I think you nailed it there. After years of nervy indecisiveness in defense, his forceful decisiveness is refreshing to see alright. I thought it would take him a few games to show us some promise, but he's off to a great start and I certainly never expected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

You know things are on the up when your looking forward to MOTD again 😊 New Zlatan song sounded great today too, delighted he scored

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Billy86 wrote: »
    Personally I would have him starting over Rooney OR Mata (Zlatan up front, Mkh & Martial out wide, Pogba +1 in CM)... but that's just me. :o

Feckin' love Ander. One of the most wrongly-and-underutilised/underappreciated players in England if not Europe for the last 2 years.

Same as that. Would gave him ahead of Rooney and Mata as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

DM_7 wrote: »
    Blind was very good overall last season and was very good again today.

I wouldn't want him against Lukaku but against sides with average sized forwards or who play football on the ground he is a great option.

United don't have a Rio Ferdinand who will play in every game he is fit. The CBs are going to get swapped around now depending on the opposition.

Some of Blind's best games for United have been in CB against Lukaku. He has his number. Yet again had a great game today.

I like Blind and another in there. Smalling and Bailly are similar enough imo but maybe there will be games where that will suit. Having an extra option in there is great. Especially one that's hit the ground running as well as Bailly. Something some other CBs have failed to do in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Has anybody mentioned that both starting full backs actually finished the game?!

I know I'm never going to agree with certain posters on Blind as CB and they will never agree with me but I honestly don't think he will be a regular first choice there.

I certainly hope he isn't but that isn't influencing my opinion that he won't be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Liam O wrote: »
    Some of Blind's best games for United have been in CB against Lukaku. He has his number. Yet again had a great game today.

I like Blind and another in there. Smalling and Bailly are similar enough imo but maybe there will be games where that will suit. Having an extra option in there is great. Especially one that's hit the ground running as well as Bailly. Something some other CBs have failed to do in recent years.

That was Martinez' Lukaku though, I was getting at the physical side, I wouldn't want him for a game where the the ball is played in the air. Basically the West Ham away game at end of last season.

On the ground or with people running at him he is very good, really impresses when going back towards his own goal (saw that again today).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

How different will the starting 11 be on Friday vs Southampton. Pogba will have to start maybe Smalling too. Will Mata and Fellaini?

The best thing about today's performance was that we still have pogba to come into the team it's actually unreal. Can't wait for Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

How different will the starting 11 be on Friday vs Southampton. Pogba will have to start maybe Smalling too. Will Mata and Fellaini?

I think Fellaini is undroppable after todays performance.

Rossi IRL wrote: »

I think the same about our defence also you couldn't drop any of them straight away for Smalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I think Ander played very well today. Delighted we got off to a winning start.

https://twitter.com/AnderHerrera/status/764877484580102148

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think Mata will go out for Miki to make his debut, (could be wrong obviously and he might just be introduced from the bench) I also think Herrera will bow out for Pogba. Other then that I see it being pretty much as you were with the only other decision being Blind or Smalling because Bailly was feckin excellent! Herrera put in a very good performance too and will be harsh to be dropping out, but you I don't see him dropping Fellaini as he will allow Pogba more freedom going forward.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Gonna be difficult to drop more than a few after today Tony V worked his socks off too.

Was a great super Sunday infairness 2 excellent games on motd2 which is on bbc2 by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Only worry I have for this season is Rashfords time on the pitch. Really hope he is not reduced to bit part appearances when Zlatan decides he wants a week off.

I'd be surprised if Pogba starts.

Fellaini will definitely start I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think he will see plenty of game time in the Europa and Carling Cup, I am sure he will get plenty of minutes in the league too over the course of the season

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Niska

Has anybody mentioned that both starting full backs actually finished the game?!

http://www.football365.com/news/mata-can-still-be-uniteds-juan-and-only

5th Paragraph:
    Even weirder was the site of both full-backs walking off un-substituted after the final whistle.

Re: Rashford

I hope so. Really like watching him play.

Re: Pogba

He has to start on Friday. £89 million to be phased in, no way. He needs to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

If I had to guess I would say the following.
    DDG
    Val
    Bailly
    Smalling
    Shaw
    Fellaini
    Pogba

Rooney
    MickeyRyan
    Martial
    Ibra

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Blind playing the roll Matic did for Mourinho in the long run.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Only worry I have for this season is Rashfords time on the pitch. Really hope he is not reduced to bit part appearances when Zlatan decides he wants a week off.

I think he will get plenty of game time. He's not only able to compete for the striker role but also for either of the "wide" positions.

Isn't it great though to be worrying if players will get enough time because of competition rather than worrying about who we have to play in positions?

Isn't it great though to be worrying if players will get enough time because of competition rather than worrying about who we have to play in positions?

True that.

killwill wrote: »
    If I had to guess I would say the following.
    DDG
    Val
    Bailly
    Smalling
    Shaw
    Fellaini
    Pogba

Rooney
    MickeyRyan
    Martial
    Ibra

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Blind playing the roll Matic did for Mourinho in the long run.

I think Jose sees Fellaini as his Matic rather than Blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

killwill wrote: »

DDG
    Val
    Bailly
    Smalling
    Shaw
    Fellaini
    Pogba

Mata
    MickeyRyan
    Martial
    Ibra

That's probably your best team at the minute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

GSPfan wrote: »

Re: Pogba

He has to start on Friday. £89 million to be phased in, no way. He needs to start.

He doesn't. He's had a 2 week preseason. Unless he's fully fit he doesn't start. You protect an £89m investment ahead of a long season.

Returning home after a few months away on Friday night, wouldn't you know my flights at 8pm. Surely enough Pogba will do a madness as I'll miss it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Team did well today, but I think smalling will start in place of blind v Southampton.

Great to get 3 points today. Get a bit of momentum going. Serious squad we have now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement