Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is Darmain injured?

What 1st team players are fit and available that didn't make squad?

Young, Jones, Blackett (maybe not 1st team) Schweinstiger, Peirera, Mensah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Was a good game to watch again on Motd the team looked so much more free or confident.

Soo good to see Shaw playing and looking so ship and agree with Danny murphy in regards to blind he is so underrated for us he was nearly as good as bailly today as I said this morning we would be crazy to leave him go for fonte.

I'd love to see ourselves and pool having a good lash at title would be right Craic as long as we came out of top on the end.

Nalz wrote: »
    Is Darmain injured?

What 1st team players are fit and available that didn't make squad?

Young, Jones, Blackett (maybe not 1st team) Schweinstiger, Peirera, Mensah...

Blackett ain't been a first team squad player for 2 years nearly and Schweinsteiger is not now either. Imy not sure on Darmian I think he added a strain or something but haven't heard much in week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bangkok wrote: »
    Team did well today, but I think smalling will start in place of blind v Southampton.

Great to get 3 points today. Get a bit of momentum going. Serious squad we have now

Blind had 100% interceptions today,he played well and passed the ball forward with great quality,why drop him?

• Most excited I have been as a Utd fan since Fergies last season
    And I'm not a big fan of Jose but something feels right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I love Daley and think he's one of our most underrated players and I'll fight ye all to the death on that one :pac:

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Most excited I have been as a Utd fan since Fergies last season
    And I'm not a big fan of Jose but something feels right

https://twitter.com/OllyRamone/status/762710843482075136

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

zerks wrote: »
    Blind had 100% interceptions today,he played well and passed the ball forward with great quality,why drop him?

If he sees smalling as first choice then he will play him regardless. You need to establish a first choice cb pair and play them together every single time it's possible.

• Advertisement

Did anyone see MOTD2 tonight? Danny Murphy saying Rooney was superb,he must have only watched their highlights reel.Once more he had the usual slow movement,poor first touch,lack of vision and default floated ball to the right wing.
    How will he fit in with Pogba and Micky Targarian coming into the team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Smalling is first choice centre back, blind was excellent today and I rate him as a top player but smalling and Baily will be our centre backs for the season with blind backup

Did anyone see MOTD2 tonight? Danny Murphy saying Rooney was superb,he must have only watched their highlights reel.Once more he had the usual slow movement,poor first touch,lack of vision and default floated ball to the right wing.

Pogba in for fellaini, mkhitarayan in for mata, Rooney will get us goals no matter how **** people think he is playing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Usual slow movement around him, no lack of vision, first touch was fine the vast majority of the time, didn't float any balls out wide - a few low ones yes when required but not the usual Hollywood ones people like criticise him for. Imagine a player spreading a ball out wide at a club like Manchester United where attacks traditionally come from the wings. Mental! You forgot to mention he scored, but that doesn't suit the agenda does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Jose never said what the Tweet says though, just a hang up of mine on sports twitter accounts, websites, etc. He said so long as he plays like he is now, Utd fans have to love him.

Still, the difference in ability when it comes to this kind of man management (and even fan management) just shows the difference between the top, top managers and the merely decent ones. Fergie was possibly the best ever at it, but Jose's also been playing everyone in the squad and outside it like a fiddle all summer, and it is brilliant to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pogba in for fellaini, mkhitarayan in for mata, Rooney will get us goals no matter how **** people think he is playing

No way you will see Herrera and Pogba playing as the deeper two midfielders.

Quite the opposite to what you think, Mou seems to have taken quite a shine to oul Fellaini

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Usual slow movement around him, no lack of vision, first touch was fine the vast majority of the time, didn't float any balls out wide - a few low ones yes when required but not the usual Hollywood ones people like criticise him for. Imagine a player spreading a ball out wide at a club like Manchester United where attacks traditionally come from the wings. Mental! You forgot to mention he scored, but that doesn't suit the agenda does it?

The personal crusade you have undertaken aside, do you now get an alarm when someone mentions Rooney?

:)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good to see our most famous fan, Usain Bolt safely in the final of the 100 metres, it is suppose to be his last Olympics.
    He still wants to play for United. I think he could become a United player, a very pacey winger :pac:
    Now I just hope he wins for a perfect sporting weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

RobertKK wrote: »
    Good to see our most famous fan, Usain Bolt safely in the final of the 100 metres, it is suppose to be his last Olympics.
    He still wants to play for United. I think he could become a United player, a very pacey winger :pac:

Well it was worth staying up for, just to watch the greatest sprinter and fastest Red of all time making history.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

RobertKK wrote: »

I thought Olly Murs held that honour ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I thought Olly Murs held that honour ;)

I thought Rachel held it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

i'm pretty certain they always only look at the highlights and not the games

pogba in for fellaini but if we play a physical team i'd imagine both will play. in an ideal world mick targaryan comes in for rooney with mata moving central and rooney moving to china :D

I thought it was the football thread yez fakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote: »
    I thought it was the football thread yez fakers me and brinty that were the biggest celebrity supporters. We can't reveal our identities but we play in a famous band.....

FYP mate ;)

Now that everyone knows the result I thought this was good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJH0bPkjGyz/

Pogba: bolt is unstoppable.. how to race you man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

It's Monday. Juan's blog is back! :) Hugs for all!

https://twitter.com/juanmata8/status/765097503113043968

It's Monday. Juan's blog is back! :) Hugs for all!

https://twitter.com/juanmata8/status/765097503113043968

Always an excellent read.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This from F365's Mata article sums up Rooney perfectly

Mata’s obvious issue comes when Mkhitaryan returns, but the withering form of Wayne Rooney could provide hope in that regard. Rooney started this season as he finished last, with all the grace of a giant panda.

Rooney’s new No. 10 position is so crucial to a side with a focal point up front and pace in wide areas, but Rooney’s party trick is to slow down play and pass the ball back. The England captain’s defenders (and there will be plenty below the line) will point to his goal, but that came from a mi**** Anthony Martial shot that found him five yards from goal. We’re allowed to demand more.

We’re no longer at the stage where Rooney’s form is failing to take United forward; it’s actively holding them back. As some Manchester United-supporting wag amusingly commented on Twitter, ‘I’m liking this new ‘crisp packet’ position Mourinho has created for Rooney – floating around doing absolutely f**k all.’ Quite.

How the Rooney defenders can't see the obvious issues with his game is beyond me.

Mata’s obvious issue comes when Mkhitaryan returns, but the withering form of Wayne Rooney could provide hope in that regard. Rooney started this season as he finished last, with all the grace of a giant panda.

Rooney’s new No. 10 position is so crucial to a side with a focal point up front and pace in wide areas, but Rooney’s party trick is to slow down play and pass the ball back. The England captain’s defenders (and there will be plenty below the line) will point to his goal, but that came from a mi**** Anthony Martial shot that found him five yards from goal. We’re allowed to demand more.

We’re no longer at the stage where Rooney’s form is failing to take United forward; it’s actively holding them back. As some Manchester United-supporting wag amusingly commented on Twitter, ‘I’m liking this new ‘crisp packet’ position Mourinho has created for Rooney – floating around doing absolutely f**k all.’ Quite.

How the Rooney defenders can't see the obvious issues with his game is beyond me.

Just a question, if Rooney played like he played yesterday, but scored a goal nearly every game and finished the season on 25 league goals, would you say he had a poor season?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Haven't read the previous pages, any love for Valencia?

He looked great. He was powerful, defensively did very well and always there for pass. He has made a great start to the season, long may it continue.

His attacking contribution is underrated, people still expect him to contribute like winger. But for a right back he is doing superbly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Listen, here's the thing. I can completely understand people who want to say he didn't have a bad game. I disagree, but he got on the score sheet so he had a redeeming moment in the game. He was marginally better than Martial, and wasn't miles worse than Ibra and Mata, who also got their goals but were very absent from large parts of the game. (I stress this part so that I'm not accused of just ignoring the shortcomings of other players; as I said yesterday, we never kicked on past second gear, and all the attackers were average).

What I don't get is how some people are falling over themselves to say he had a stunning game (like the MOTD guy) or people using stats to back up their points. Watching him play, he constantly slowed down the game, constantly broke down plays and constantly failed to play any dangerous passes. His entire game now is to get the ball and, if he keeps it, passes it to someone else to actually do something with (which is going to make his passing stats look quite good). Consistently now, in each game, he'll lose the ball by being shrugged off it. There are much better options out there, and he is going to be holding us back more and more.

I respect all he's done, I respect he's a legend. At the same time, so is Cantona, so is Ole, so is Yorke and Cole...and yet I wouldn't want any of them playing for us either right now. Football, sadly, is a "how are you now" game, and top teams don't get to let players stick around on past glories without finding themselves weaker than they should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

The article was a good read. Although Rooney scored yesterday I would agree that he noticeably slowed down the play when he had the ball (this was ironically one of the main things people were criticising Mata for previously)

I still find it difficult to see Mourinho dropping his captain. It was interesting watching Rooney's post-match interview, he was very defensive of himself and saying he believes in his ability etc. I wonder if he thinks himself that he might be in trouble. When I say in trouble, I mean there are better strikers and #10's in the team, whether José agrees is another thing.

I can see Mata being benched when Jesse is fit again and when Mkhitaryan is bedded in though.

Also it was funny that boards swear filter censored mis-hit in the copied part above :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Just a question, if Rooney played like he played yesterday, but scored a goal nearly every game and finished the season on 25 league goals, would you say he had a poor season?

I'll safely predict that he won't score 25 league goals. He's playing as a 10 where he's supposed to be the main creative influence in the team. The main creative influence isn't supposed to slow down the play or pass backwards when the ball comes to him.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Haven't read the previous pages, any love for Valencia?

As someone who has been critical of him in the past, I've been very impressed with his creative abilities so far under Jose. My main worry is that he's not been tested defensively at all, and I'd worry a good winger could cause him problems. Certainly in games where the defense has sat back, he's looked really, really good. Maybe would like to see him as a proper RW as well, and let someone else do the defensive work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

The personal crusade you have undertaken aside, do you now get an alarm when someone mentions Rooney?

:)

No, I just open the last page of this thread from time to time and someone is usually making the same silly over exaggerated points.
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    He was marginally better than Martial, and wasn't miles worse than Ibra and Mata,

Apart from the goal, which was arguably even more fortuitous than Rooney's, what did Mata bring to the game yesterday that Rooney didn't? I don't recall any creative or incisive passes from Mata, no pace out on the wing, no dangerous crosses despite playing out wide, no shots. What did Ibrahimovich bring?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

José just might get the best out of Antonio Valencia. Hopefully he'll get the best out of the rest of the squad too, watching the game yesterday, it was cool to see them playing with freedom again..

Obviously there will be games where a certain vehicle will be parked and a 1-0 ground out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was an ok performance yesterday; nothing special. Thought Valencia looked very good, as an attacking threat I couldn't be more happy with at right back at the moment.

With Pogba and Mkhitaryan to come into that first 11 and hopefully improve the team; there is so much more to come from this team. You have to think/hope the team performances will significantly improve with time as Mourinho gets them playing more how he wants.

Also - big props to Fellaini; making himself an important member of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Oh man, Mata didn't mention Jose in his blog, he's defo gone

As someone who has been critical of him in the past, I've been very impressed with his creative abilities so far under Jose. My main worry is that he's not been tested defensively at all, and I'd worry a good winger could cause him problems. Certainly in games where the defense has sat back, he's looked really, really good. Maybe would like to see him as a proper RW as well, and let someone else do the defensive work.

Mourinho will set up more defensively when playing against a good winger. Valencia has been excellent so far preseason and yesterday.

Blind also, a good few here said they would be happy to see him sold, not good enough, he is more than good enough, technically excellent and a great reader of the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Listen, here's the thing. I can completely understand people who want to say he didn't have a bad game. I disagree, but he got on the score sheet so he had a redeeming moment in the game. He was marginally better than Martial, and wasn't miles worse than Ibra and Mata, who also got their goals but were very absent from large parts of the game. (I stress this part so that I'm not accused of just ignoring the shortcomings of other players; as I said yesterday, we never kicked on past second gear, and all the attackers were average).

What I don't get is how some people are falling over themselves to say he had a stunning game (like the MOTD guy) or people using stats to back up their points. Watching him play, he constantly slowed down the game, constantly broke down plays and constantly failed to play any dangerous passes. His entire game now is to get the ball and, if he keeps it, passes it to someone else to actually do something with (which is going to make his passing stats look quite good). Consistently now, in each game, he'll lose the ball by being shrugged off it. There are much better options out there, and he is going to be holding us back more and more.

I respect all he's done, I respect he's a legend. At the same time, so is Cantona, so is Ole, so is Yorke and Cole...and yet I wouldn't want any of them playing for us either right now. Football, sadly, is a "how are you now" game, and top teams don't get to let players stick around on past glories without finding themselves weaker than they should be.

Also what the stats don't show is how Rooney can't play one touch pass quickly near the box which messes up so many attacks. He slows down and pass it wide which means there is nothing negative to show using stats.

For example, Rashford somehow completes his one twos but Rooney just can't control the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Buzzing after the result yesterday had a great day in the pub and have a smile on me all morning and I'm reading back over last night and this mornings posts and I see a post where someone mentions how great Fellani is playing and how with Pogba next to him we'll be tough to beat and I burst into the cheesiest laugh ever, I'd totally forgot in the last 18hours Paul Pogba plays for us now!! Mad stuff Ted!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If Rooney continues to play like that he might get goals but he won't provide the creativity we need at vital times
    His entire game now is to get the ball and, if he keeps it, passes it to someone else to actually do something with (which is going to make his passing stats look quite good).

Indeed. He could be the greatest in the world at trapping the ball and spreading it to the right wing but unfortunately that isn't actually what we need in that position.

I read somebody on here yesterday blaming the players around him and saying "There was no movement so what else is he supposed to do but spread it wide" and all I could think was "Thats rather the point isn't it, we need a number 10 that can create something out of nothing, one that dictates the players around him rather than waiting on them". Frankly Rooney does nothing in that role that Fellaini wouldn't do just as well.

And I like Rooney, he is a legend, he just should be a striker not a creator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think it's pretty comfortable to say that hypothesis would never pass. You cannot play sub par throughout a season and still bag 25 league goals.

One of my mates claimed Rooney will get 25-30 league goals this season and he was laughed out of the chat.

I really struggle to see why it's such a dividing issue. And all the stat provisions are pointless, you just need to use your eyes. He is an issue in this team. Whilst only one game down, he's started where he left last season, throughout the Euros and in pre-season.

There is only so much time you can provide the benefit of the doubt.

And by the way, his length of time playing for the club, goalscoring record etc. isn't a mitigating excuse. I remember in the last Ferguson season being shouted down a bit for flagging Evra as someone who needed replacing, and was getting all the "he's a legend" crap. That simply does not excuse sub par performances, and flaring issues that may hamper the team.

It's only one game down, but already I'm in the "Rooney dropped" camp. October will be a good amount of time to accurately and objectively see if issues arise in our squad.

I'll be more then happy if Rooney recaptures form and operates as a good 10 in support of Zlatan, but I think the likelyhood is either he is dropped, or I have another furstrating season with him being pandered to on reputation alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

RE: Blind, I assume Mourinhos comments about Bailly having to be appreciative of who was beside him was reference to Blind.

The Blind being sold stuff was awful nonsense. I'd fail to see how any fan, or a professional manager, wouldn't be overwhelmingly impressed by his ability to read the game, the way he intercepts and his ability on the ball.

Chris Smalling does in no way shape or form walk back into this team in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    RE: Blind, I assume Mourinhos comments about Bailly having to be appreciative of who was beside him was reference to Blind.

The Blind being sold stuff was awful nonsense. I'd fail to see how any fan, or a professional manager, wouldn't be overwhelmingly impressed by his ability to read the game, the way he intercepts and his ability on the ball.

Chris Smalling does in no way shape or form walk back into this team in my opinion.

His one vs one recovery tackle in the second half (maybe off a terrible Rooney pass....) was a thing of beauty. He lacks the physicality and pace I'd want in a CB, but his reading of the game and tackle timing is superb.

I'd be disappointed if he was sold, as he can be a very good player in a few positions. Would prefer him at left back over Rojo, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

TheDoc wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. It's blinds place to lose at this point IMO.

I can easily see jose putting Smalling into the team instead of bailly in next game or two.

Bailly has been immense since he came in but I get the impression jose wants to hold him back a small bit first.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

jayo26 wrote: »
    I can easily see jose putting Smalling into the team instead of bailly in next game or two.

Bailly has been immense since he came in but I get the impression jose wants to hold him back a small bit first.

two man of the match awards and you want to hold him back?

keep him for what?

Apart from the goal, which was arguably even more fortuitous than Rooney's, what did Mata bring to the game yesterday that Rooney didn't? I don't recall any creative or incisive passes from Mata, no pace out on the wing, no dangerous crosses despite playing out wide, no shots. What did Ibrahimovich bring?

Mata and Rooney were about on par with each other. The reason I rank Mata slightly higher (and only slightly) is I didn't find myself constantly rolling my eyes because he gave the ball away. When Rooney gets it, it's counting the seconds until he's either passed it five yards sideways, or lost it. For the record, if I was putting together my perfect team right now, neither Mata nor Rooney would make the cut. You can also say it was a fortuitous goal, and it was, but at least he managed to get in the right position to capitalize on the mistake. But as I said, this "whataboutery" doesn't work with Mata for me, cause I think he should be on the bench too.

As for Ibrahimovich, his goal was the one goal I felt wasn't luck; it was a driven shot across goal that left the goalkeeper with no chance. He managed to set Rooney up once with a brilliant backheel pass, which opened up the defence (which is something we've been severely lacking in recent years). Had Rooney finished it, I think both Rooney and Ibrahimovic would have been rated higher for the game.

There's also the fact I don't believe you can strictly compare the roles of Rooney and Ibra in yesterdays game. You can with Rooney and Mata; both were meant to be, along with Martial, the creative forces behind Ibrahimovic. Their jobs was to set the goals up for Ibrahimovic, and Ibra's job is to score. If the creativity doesn't come, then Ibra can't do his job, so he's heavily reliant on them. As a #10, Rooney's job is to create chances, something he didn't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

crkball6 wrote: »
    two man of the match awards and you want to hold him back?

keep him for what?

To be fair, he didn't say he wants to. He said Mourinho might.

I don't agree with that at all, the lad has been very good so far, and he needs to build an understanding with Smalling.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement