Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

v3ttel wrote: »
    To be fair, he didn't say he wants to. He said Mourinho might.

I don't agree with that at all, the lad has been very good so far, and he needs to build an understanding with Smalling.

You in this case was Jose! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rooney played terrible apparently but was there for United's best chances. On another day he'd have had a hattrick. Just needs Jose to be more assertive about him staying forward. He's not been able to run a game from behind the striker for years but he still knows where the back of the net is. With Zlatan showing that he can provide good play from deep it's probably the best place for both with Zlatan getting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I want Blind at DM. I think him, alongside Pogba and Mata, would be incredible. He has the passing ability to get he ball to both of them, and reads the game exceptionally as to offer cover to Bailly and Smalling.
    De Gea
    Valencia - Smalling - Bailly - Shaw
    Pogba - Blind
    Mkhitaryan - Mata - Martial
    Ibrahimovich

Quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Top of the league. :D

There'd be plenty of valid excuses for losing yesterday but we got the three points, great start for the manager and the whole squad.

Same again Friday please. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Anyone see how Southampton played this weekend?

Should be a good buzz V Southampton , first home game, new signings home competitive debuts, Friday night under the lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

1 game into the new season, 3 points on the board, pogba to come into the team along with smalling. I wouldn't be writing off Rooney just yet. Still a class player. Scores goals which is the most important thing in football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

crkball6 wrote: »
    two man of the match awards and you want to hold him back?

keep him for what?

Ya what where did i say i want to hold him back?

I clearly said I get the impression that jose does.

He sounds like he wants to ease him in he said couple weeks ago he wants hin to adapt to playing for a big club and he said yesterday his man of the match award was down to him been looked after by those around him.

I think he is fantastic and I said last night that I wouldn't split up the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I want Blind at DM. I think him, alongside Pogba and Mata, would be incredible. He has the passing ability to get he ball to both of them, and reads the game exceptionally as to offer cover to Bailly and Smalling.
    De Gea
    Valencia - Smalling - Bailly - Shaw
    Pogba - Blind
    Mkhitaryan - Mata - Martial
    Ibrahimovich

Quality.

De Gea
    Valencia-Smalling-Bailly-Shaw
    Schneiderin
    Herrera---Pogba
    Mkhitaryan
    Martial
    Ibrahimovic.

Thats my team, on paper. Though the general performances of Schneiderlin and Herrera don't justify it, really. Also, I would actually prefer to have Mkhitaryan centrally but we don't have a right winger I want to put out there - unless Memphis can remember how to football and play out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

but we don't have a right winger.

You could always play Valencia in position :pac:

De Gea
    Valencia-Smalling-Bailly-Shaw
    Schneiderin
    Herrera---Pogba
    Mkhitaryan
    Martial
    Ibrahimovic.

Thats my team, on paper. Though the general performances of Schneiderlin and Herrera don't justify it, really. Also, I would actually prefer to have Mkhitaryan centrally but we don't have a right winger I want to put out there - unless Memphis can remember how to football and play out there.

Rashford, lingard, Ashley young, mata, valencia can all play there. We have so many options in the squad this season it's fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

bangkok wrote: »
    Blind also, a good few here said they would be happy to see him sold, not good enough, he is more than good enough, technically excellent and a great reader of the game

But he's slow and can barely jump compared to most CBs. If he consistently plays in big games he'll cost us imo.

• Lol Duncan Castles backtracking on the bull****e he was trying to spin about Wata and Blind

What a spoofer

Rashford, lingard, Ashley young, mata, valencia can all play there. We have so many options in the squad this season it's fantastic

"We have no right winger I want to put out there"

We have a number of players that can play there - we have none that I'd be all that happy about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

As I said Yesterday we need to pick up the points we lost last season and our first 2 games will reflect this

2015-2016 - Bournemouth v Man U - 2 -1
    2016-2017 - Bournemouth v Man U - 1 -3

2015-2016 - Man U v Southampton - 0 -1
    2016-2017 - Man U v Southampton - ? -?

Come Friday we could be 6 points better off against the same matches last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lol Duncan Castles backtracking on the bull****e he was trying to spin about Wata and Blind

What a spoofer

That's coming straight from the horses mouth

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/765131191657922560

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

We have a number of players that can play there - we have none that I'd be all that happy about.

What does Lingard need to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lord TSC wrote: »
    What I don't get is how some people are falling over themselves to say he had a stunning game (like the MOTD guy) or people using stats to back up their points. Watching him play, he constantly slowed down the game, constantly broke down plays and constantly failed to play any dangerous passes. His entire game now is to get the ball and, if he keeps it, passes it to someone else to actually do something with (which is going to make his passing stats look quite good). Consistently now, in each game, he'll lose the ball by being shrugged off it. There are much better options out there, and he is going to be holding us back more and more.

I respect all he's done, I respect he's a legend. At the same time, so is Cantona, so is Ole, so is Yorke and Cole...and yet I wouldn't want any of them playing for us either right now. Football, sadly, is a "how are you now" game, and top teams don't get to let players stick around on past glories without finding themselves weaker than they should be.

This is an excellent post.

A highly accurate assessment on Rooneys situation and a great point about people using stats to the extreme. I don't care how great stats get they can paint a false picture at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Could not see the game properly yday in pub but Rooney and Matial looked off the pace of the game.......then you turn on MOTD and Danny Murphy is saying Rooney was 'superb'..........you have got to miss 'The Premiership' where the presenters did not see the games through blinkered English old boys club eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Jayop wrote: »

Was injured for yday.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If the creativity doesn't come, then Ibra can't do his job, so he's heavily reliant on them. As a #10, Rooney's job is to create chances, something he didn't do.

Number 10s job is to create chances and/or score goals. Ferguson for years favoured scoring over creativity in his 10s. Yesterday Rooney scored and had three shots from the exact right area (ie in front of goal inside the box), with one goal. Next week he could easily reverse that and just creates a few chances instead. I don't think either is a problem and it just comes down to the manager's preference.

On the stats, I agree that they don't prove Rooney had a good game. The reason I've used them is because they disprove the idea that Rooney miscontrolled every second ball and pass, which lots of people (not yourslelf) would be happy to claim was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Could not see the game properly yday in pub but Rooney and Matial looked off the pace of the game.......then you turn on MOTD and Danny Murphy is saying Rooney was 'superb'..........you have got to miss 'The Premiership' where the presenters did not see the games through blinkered English old boys club eyes.

Sure you see that all the time.

Hart at City. All this outcry, shock and disbelief that he is dropped and probably being replaced. A good goalkeeper for sure, but literally nowhere near the level a team with City's aspirations should be happy with.

Then with Liverpool you have all the Moreno focus, and rightly so, he's a terrible left back. But at the same time you have to question what Liverpool's ambitions are, fielding Jordan Henderson in central midfield.....Of course escaped all questioning when he was totally inept at managing that game yesterday when they got 4-1 up. Just "shouting" loudly at people.

Happens in just about every team and every club, and is partially why the EPL is laughed at around Europe claiming itself to be the best.

Pro. F wrote: »
    But he's slow and can barely jump compared to most CBs. If he consistently plays in big games he'll cost us imo.

You don't need to be quick to be a good centre back. His positional play is top class

TheDoc wrote: »
    Sure you see that all the time.

Hart at City. All this outcry, shock and disbelief that he is dropped and probably being replaced. A good goalkeeper for sure, but literally nowhere near the level a team with City's aspirations should be happy with.

Then with Liverpool you have all the Moreno focus, and rightly so, he's a terrible left back. But at the same time you have to question what Liverpool's ambitions are, fielding Jordan Henderson in central midfield.....Of course escaped all questioning when he was totally inept at managing that game yesterday when they got 4-1 up. Just "shouting" loudly at people.

Happens in just about every team and every club, and is partially why the EPL is laughed at around Europe claiming itself to be the best.

Spanish league is the best, they lucky to have Bebe and aspas

He is a good player - but I don't like him as a first choice player in thesame way I didn't like Ji Sung Park. Very good players to have in the squad but I want better players to help win us titles and the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Number 10s job is to create chances and/or score goals. Ferguson for years favoured scoring over creativity in his 10s. Yesterday Rooney scored and had three shots from the exact right area (ie in front of goal inside the box), with one goal. Next week he could easily reverse that and just creates a few chances instead. I don't think either is a problem and it just comes down to the manager's preference.

On the stats, I agree that they don't prove Rooney had a good game. The reason I've used them is because they disprove the idea that Rooney miscontrolled every second ball and pass, which lots of people (not yourslelf) would be happy to claim was the case.

The issue with Rooney is the moments he lets a pass slip or has a poor touch. It's normally in a pretty good buildup that breaks down, or a lose pass puts us on the back foot immediately.

Everyone makes mistakes, but Rooney's just appear to be amplified because they either crumble an attack or cause a counter.

I think it's fair and accurate to outline stats showing that he may or may not be worse off then the rest, but the issue is WHEN he makes his mistakes. It's not what I expect from someone of his calibre, and definitely not from someone who if you believe the cliche "has great experience".

It's just amplified because the moment he makes his mistakes, are incredibly infuriating.

And if I'm honest, at this point , for those of us who don't believe in Rooney anymore, it's immediate ammunition and validation of our feelings.

It's like how I am with Carrick, every mistake, is an absolute insult. I know that's not overly objective, but alas, football fandom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Liam O wrote: »
    Rooney played terrible apparently but was there for United's best chances. On another day he'd have had a hattrick. Just needs Jose to be more assertive about him staying forward. He's not been able to run a game from behind the striker for years but he still knows where the back of the net is. With Zlatan showing that he can provide good play from deep it's probably the best place for both with Zlatan getting on.

It seems that we are constantly waiting for this 'another day' to arrive though, that's the point.

The problem with Rooney is his best games are either in the past or in the future, never the one he is actually playing!

Another thing on the Rooney passing yesterday.

We have to realise the effect of Ibra's play. Ibra is a lamppost. An extremely powerful and skilful lamppost, with an eye for a creative pass too. A natural consequence of that is that he's not going to run onto many through balls, but he will do well with crosses and he will make chances for teammates who run off him. That happened yesterday. Rooney didn't provide any through balls into the box, but he did get three good chances and scored one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Spanish league is the best, they lucky to have Bebe and aspas

Playing for the biggest clubs?

TheDoc wrote: »
    The issue with Rooney is the moments he lets a pass slip or has a poor touch. It's normally in a pretty good buildup that breaks down, or a lose pass puts us on the back foot immediately.

Everyone makes mistakes, but Rooney's just appear to be amplified because they either crumble an attack or cause a counter.

I think it's fair and accurate to outline stats showing that he may or may not be worse off then the rest, but the issue is WHEN he makes his mistakes. It's not what I expect from someone of his calibre, and definitely not from someone who if you believe the cliche "has great experience".

It's just amplified because the moment he makes his mistakes, are incredibly infuriating.

And if I'm honest, at this point , for those of us who don't believe in Rooney anymore, it's immediate ammunition and validation of our feelings.

It's like how I am with Carrick, every mistake, is an absolute insult. I know that's not overly objective, but alas, football fandom.

It's extremely lacking in objectivity. You aren't analysing Rooney or Carrick's game sensibly because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Another thing on the Rooney passing yesterday.

We have to realise the effect of Ibra's play. Ibra is a lamppost. An extremely powerful and skilful lamppost, with an eye for a creative pass too. A natural consequence of that is that he's not going to run onto many through balls, but he will do well with crosses and he will make chances for teammates who run off him. That happened yesterday. Rooney didn't provide any through balls into the box, but he did get three good chances and scored one.

Indeed. Ibrahimovich is far more likely to convert a good cross than outrun two centre halves to get onto a through ball. He scored against Galatasaray in pre-season and against Leicester in the Charity Shield by converting two Valencia crosses. He got a lot of credit for those finishes on here, as did Valencia for the quality of his crosses.Yet Rooney is crucified for passing the ball out wide to Valencia.

"Great finish by Zlatan"

"Great cross by Valencia"

"F*CK you Rooney for passing the ball to Valencia"

The mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A0c2e6999105f8070

Fonte could be on.£8 mill fee not a concern as it is low. He's not Jose's first choice.
    I wonder if that first choice is Varane?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Indeed. Ibrahimovich is far more likely to convert a good cross than outrun two centre halves to get onto a through ball. He scored against Galatasaray in pre-season and against Leicester in the Charity Shield by converting two Valencia crosses. He got a lot of credit for those finishes on here, as did Valencia for the quality of his crosses.Yet Rooney is crucified for passing the ball out wide to Valencia.

"Great finish by Zlatan"

"Great cross by Valencia"

"F*CK you Rooney for passing the ball to Valencia"

The mind boggles.

This is just hilarious. You're completely blind to any issues with Rooney aren't you? Was he as bad as some made him out to be? No he wasn't. But he was poor yesterday and his goal doesn't hide that. Other players were poor yesterday too, but again that doesn't make Rooneys performance any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

zerks wrote: »

Fonte could be on.£8 mill fee not a concern as it is low. He's not Jose's first choice.

Varane is excellent but he is another center back that we need to give time to settle in and developed if we didn't have bailly I'd say get him but I'd love to go all out and try get bonucci it would be an amazing signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It is not that he is or isn't passing out wide, it is the speed at which he does it, the accuracy of the pass and the ability to pick out the pass that the defence is not expecting.

These are all things that can't be tracked by stats but we all know them when we see it.

If all you are going to judge him on is if he can pass the ball from A to B then we have plenty of other options for that that also can do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I'm not in the anti Rooney camp but I just had a notion...Rashford, interchanging with Ibra, running from deep, running onto Ibra knock downs and flicks with his pace and power. It could be pretty awesome.

We have lots and lots of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I woke up this morning and reminded myself to check the thread, see if anything new had popped up or anything interesting. To my dismay I was wrong, the Rooney debate roared on with fire in it's belly. Now I've been through battles before, defending Chris Smalling tooth and nail when he was circled by locals with pitchforks and torches, my man Phil Jones, well that's looking like a lost battle, but by far the one that has put years on me is the Rooney one. I don't think I can handle it anymore.

We get into these same debates every game he plays. The same old arguments on both sides come out. The "his first touch normally leads to his second being a tackle", "he's holding us back", "he slows down the play", "he can't complete a 5-yard pass" or the more basic "he's muck" argument. While on the other side the counter arguments are circled back with, "he had a high passing completion percent", "he's a vocal leader and is constantly shouting orders to his players" , "he got a goal/assist", "he gets the ball out wide".

The debate turns into a circle, never ending, and eventually repeating itself. It's clear that people on either side wont really change their minds during the argument but both just want to push their opinions more and more in search for like minded people to thank their post and get a sense of "I'm right, you're wrong". I'll admit I have been guilty of this in the past, but today I will turn over a new leaf.

It is no secret that I'm a fan of Rooney and this might affect my opinions watching the match, but I think likewise must be said for people who clearly do not want him to start, be this because of the history of him trying to leave the club only to get more money leaving a sour taste in some fans mouth, or maybe just because they want another player to have his position, perhaps a short skillful Spaniard. These are questions I don't think we will ever know the answers for, but hear me as I roar that I am biased at times to Rooney and give him the benefit of the doubt. With this maybe I'll never see Rooney as this worst player in our squad that some portray, that contributes nothing to the team, but who knows what will happen.

In this world of uncertainty where Leicester can win the Premier League after sacking their manager, Gary Lineker can present MoTD in a pair of white shorts and Andy Carroll can be sold for €41 million, the only thing that is certain is while Wayne Mark Rooney puts on a pair of boots the debate will live on. After 2+years of fighting in the trenches it has taken it's toll on me. It is time for me to retire, step down, and leave the fighting for the young and able bodied.

So with this I formally announce my retirement from engaging in Rooney debates, I only wish I could censor ongoing debates in the future to prevent my self getting flashbacks.

wpid-article-1323683474915-0f20e55900000578-672180_466x351.jpg

PS: I still believe in you Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

zerks wrote: »

Varane doesn't make sense. We have young CB in Bailly and we are looking for senior CB. Varane isn't senior CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

This is just hilarious. You're completely blind to any issues with Rooney aren't you? Was he as bad as some made him out to be? No he wasn't. But he was poor yesterday and his goal doesn't hide that. Other players were poor yesterday too, but again that doesn't make Rooneys performance any better.

Not blind at all. Just don't understand why he is criticised for passing to Valencia, and for the lack of movement of those around him. I also don't understand why people need to over exaggerate every mistake. His touch more often that not is absolutely fine, as is his passing. His second touch is not usually a tackle. The fact that he actually scored then is just completely disregarded. As was Shaw's shocking touch that nearly cost us a goal. He wasn't spectacular yesterday, but apart from Bailly and Fellaini no one was which is to be expected on the opening day of the season away from home. He was no better or worse than Ibrahimovich or Mata and certainly better than Martial yet one would think we barely ground out a result yesterday instead of a relatively comfortable 3-1 win. People seem to have this expectation of a magical defense splitting pass from Rooney every time he gets the ball. As if he could have picked out any one of Ibrahimovich, Mata or Martial yesterday due to them taking up great positions, which they didn;t by the way. Didn't see much in the way of movement and swapping positions from any of them. Very few overlapping runs from Shaw on the left. Not much running from deep from Herrera and Fellaini to get involved. Valencia the only real option offering space and width and the ability to get the ball into the box from a cross but now it seems Rooney isn't allowed pass it to him. Of course no credit is given to Bournemouth's defense and no acknowledgement that despite all the big signings that were made, teams will sit back and work hard to nullify our attacking threats. Do you think Bournemouth wanted to start the season with a defeat at home? Bournemouth's defence was rarely stretched or confused in that game but Rooney and only Rooney is responsible for unlocking it. We lost that fixture last season. Who was no. 10 that day? I doubt he got as much flak after that game as Rooney did for scoring in a 3-1 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's okay to admit Rooney had a decent game, it doesn't change the fact he is awful a lot of the time.

He is a good player - but I don't like him as a first choice player in thesame way I didn't like Ji Sung Park. Very good players to have in the squad but I want better players to help win us titles and the CL.

Ya you wouldn't like to be relying on him to do something special in big finals.

• Advertisement

It's okay to admit Rooney had a decent game, it doesn't change the fact he is awful a lot of the time.

Nah that's against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ya you wouldn't like to be relying on him to do something special in big finals.

was-that-sarcasm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rooney did some stuff to annoy, but for me it is not enough to start complaining about it. He has started much better than last season when he had a ball at his foot and right in front of goal but didn't kick it, instead Kyle Walker did and scored for us :pac:

I have really like Bailly since he first played for us, if he stays playing the way he is, then £30 milon will look cheap in today's market.
    Blind was excellent yesterday, his positional play to get intercepts was exceptional.
    It is not going to be straightforward putting Smalling back into the team. Bailly and Blind look really good together, and the question is, is it necessary to break up something that appears to be working?

Martial was probably our worst player on the field, but even he when playing awful still managed to make a big mistake in striking the ball into an assist.

Zlatan is going to prove to be a great signing, he has been scoring freely since he joined, so he seems to have settled in quickly.

Memphis, I thought he looked good when he came on, worked hard, some nice moves.

Fellaini had an excellent game and has to keep playing in his current form.

Valencia, I am loving the new Antonio Valencia. He might end up like a new signing if he keeps playing well.

Herrera and Mata both worked very hard, both had good games, Mata showed what great determination can do with the goal he scored, his tenacity caused Bournemouth to make the series of mistakes which led to the goal which really helped United win.

Good to see Shaw back, hopefully he can have the season he looked like he would have had last season before that broken leg.

What is great is we have Pogba still to come. It is hard to not be very positive about the upcoming season.

So Southampton on Friday.

#Pogbut

Very much looking forward to this. Pissed off its on a Friday so I either have to take a half day or try to watch it on a crappy stream on the laptop

Hard to know what the line up will be for this one. From the team that started the last day the gk and back 4 could stay the same or Smalling could come in for one of the two CBs. Personally if he's going to see him and Bailly as first choice then I want to see them together asap.

For cm it's a question of where Pogba will play as for who he replaces. I can see him sticking with Fellaini who he praised a lot and dropping Herrera who hadn't a great game imo. However if he decided to play Pogba in the 10 position then you could potentially see Rooney getting the line.

Will Mata keep his place over Mkhitaryan? Will Martial keep his place over anyone?

Would love to see Lingard and Rashford getting plenty of minutes here too but realistically it's more likely off the bench.

What a brilliant counter argument.

"Footballer did football thing - therefore great".

If Lingard was put up for sale tomorrow - what clubs would be in for him?

City? Arsenal? Liverpool? Chelsea? Bayern? Real? Barcelona? PSG? At. Madrid? Juventus? Dortmund?

Honestly, I think none of them - because while he is a good footballer, he isn't a great one and I don't think he has the potential to be either.

I wouldn't consider selling him - as he can play in a number of positions and will always work very hard, and that hard work is key to his play style. He is decent on the ball and can be a threat - but if I could replace him as, apparently, first choice RW with Mahrez I would, in a heart beat.

What a brilliant counter argument.

"Footballer did football thing - therefore great".

If Lingard was put up for sale tomorrow - what clubs would be in for him?

City? Arsenal? Liverpool? Chelsea? Bayern? Real? Barcelona? PSG? At. Madrid? Juventus? Dortmund?

Honestly, I think none of them - because while he is a good footballer, he isn't a great one and I don't think he has the potential to be either.

I wouldn't consider selling him - as he can play in a number of positions and will always work very hard, and that hard work is key to his play style. He is decent on the ball and can be a threat - but if I could replace him as, apparently, first choice RW with Mahrez I would, in a heart beat.

Well the argument that I was countering was one that we wouldn't win trophies with players like him or Park. Considering Lingard scored great goals in the last two wembley finals we were in its clearly relevant.

Also, who cares what clubs would be in for him? The same arguments were made about welbeck and he went to arsenal. Lingard is a academy product and that gives him more value to us than any other side. He had his breakthrough season lady year and was very good for the most part scoring and setting up plenty. He's fast, dribbles and can defend.

My God man don't write him off so quickly as being an also ran. You'd think our own kids would be afforded more than one season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

So Southampton on Friday.

#Pogbut

Very much looking forward to this. Pissed off its on a Friday so I either have to take a half day or try to watch it on a crappy stream on the laptop

Hard to know what the line up will be for this one. From the team that started the last day the gk and back 4 could stay the same or Smalling could come in for one of the two CBs. Personally if he's going to see him and Bailly as first choice then I want to see them together asap.

For cm it's a question of where Pogba will play as for who he replaces. I can see him sticking with Fellaini who he praised a lot and dropping Herrera who hadn't a great game imo. However if he decided to play Pogba in the 10 position then you could potentially see Rooney getting the line.

Will Mata keep his place over Mkhitaryan? Will Martial keep his place over anyone?

Would love to see Lingard and Rashford getting plenty of minutes here too but realistically it's more likely off the bench.

Sort of assume Pogba will start on the bench tbh

Well the argument that I was countering was one that we wouldn't win trophies with players like him or Park. C

That wasn't the argument at all.

We won trophies with both.

I just don't want Lingard, Young, Mata or Rashford on the right wing AS OUR FIRST CHOICE GO TO OPTION.

Fine as replacement options for that role, if we need them, but I would prefer a better quality of first choice right winger.

Also, its not just one season. I've been watching Lingard for the U18 and U21 sides for years. I like him - as a squad player. And I am very big on the importance of squad players to win trophies.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Sort of assume Pogba will start on the bench tbh

I just don't see it. Chance to give your big signing a full home debut would be hard to pass up.

(is it a debut considering he's already played for the first team?)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement