Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pro. F wrote: »
    When have you seen Carrick get that far forward that often in open play? Just look at the touch map that Caragher provided, Rooney got forward plenty. It's actually a very common tactic for 10s to vacate the 10 area in order to draw out the opposition, just like it's common for 9s to drop deeper to lose their markers.

I don't mind players dropping deep,the problem was his play when he dropped deep.It was 99% of the time that we saw him carrying the ball backwards or moving in the wrong direction when there was space between the lines for him to move into and build attacks.For a player with so much experience this is baffling,we would say a young player needs to learn the game yet here we have a guy playing at the top level since he was 16 yet is regressing severly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

TheTownie wrote: »
    3 shots and the dive I'd guess.

No dive. There was contact but it wasn't a penalty.

Do we know that this isn't exactly what Jose has told him to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Jayop wrote: »
    Do we know that this isn't exactly what Jose has told him to do?

I'll check with twitter :P

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'll check with twitter :P

But if we don't know then surely criticising him or playing a certain way is stupid. If we don't like the way he plays tactically then we should be moaning at either the manager for instructing him to do that or at the manager for allowing Rooney to play contra to his instructions.

zerks wrote: »
    From tonight's MNF.

gjD9e3H.jpg

q2MERL5.jpg

I think Id prefer a 10 who played some forward passed even when he is deep he is playing it backwards and sideways

Jayop wrote: »
    But if we don't know then surely criticising him or playing a certain way is stupid. If we don't like the way he plays tactically then we should be moaning at either the manager for instructing him to do that or at the manager for allowing Rooney to play contra to his instructions.

Ha I know, I agree with what you are saying, I was just messing.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was someone on there claiming to be "in the know" about what Mourinho is telling players :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

q2MERL5.jpg

Oooooh, all those 'pretty long, floating, 35-seconds-in-the-air passes to the wing'

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rooney scored and could have easily had 2 or 3 more. He's getting into positions to score and Zlatan is dropping back a good bit too. Martial and Mata were also coming inside a lot so there wasn't an awful lot of space. As far as Rooney's games in the last while that was a very encouraging one imo in that he was getting into the positions where he has proven in the past to be most deadly.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Oooooh, all those 'pretty long, floating, 35-seconds-in-the-air passes to the wing'

:p

Was it Zoolander who couldn't turn left? Rooney's passes to the right is something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't mind players dropping deep,the problem was his play when he dropped deep.It was 99% of the time that we saw him carrying the ball backwards or moving in the wrong direction when there was space between the lines for him to move into and build attacks.For a player with so much experience this is baffling,we would say a young player needs to learn the game yet here we have a guy playing at the top level since he was 16 yet is regressing severly.

He did move into those spaces (again, look at the touches map) and he did build attacks (he just didn't play any incisive balls into the box, which is not that big a deal given Ibra's style of play). And to say that he was 99% of the time carrying the ball backwards or moving in the wrong direction is nonsense.

Was it Zoolander who couldn't turn left? Rooney's passes to the right is something similar.
    I guess Wayne's just not an ambi-passer.

Manchester United have blocked Crystal Palace ’s loan move for Ashley Young - they only want to sell on a permanent deal (Guardian)

Manchester United have blocked Crystal Palace ’s loan move for Ashley Young - they only want to sell on a permanent deal (Guardian)
    Ugh, so close. :(

I like Ashley Young but despite Mourinho mentioning him as part of his plans he is well down the pecking order, no point in loaning him out being 31 at this point so I would believe it is a case that if he does go it will be permanently.

He would be a useful squad rotation player with the amount of games expected this season but obviously that might not appeal to him and he could do a good job for a lot of teams in the PL.

I wouldn't let him go but I wouldn't be heartbroken either.

The "passes" diagram was the one that stood out to me watching it earlier, where are the forward passes?

This is supposed to be our creative fulcrum but where are the through balls? Where are the short passes forward to start a one-two? Where are the arrows pointing in the direction of the opponents goal?

I like Rooney but I'll say it again, creatively he is holding this team back.

Zlatan lacks pace and movement, but has strength and creativity to go along with his goal threat. There aren't going to be that many opportunities for through balls into the box when Zlatan is CF and Mata is on one wing and (not yet fit) Martial is on the other.

But Rooney did manage to take advantage of Zlatan's strengths, running past Ibra and getting into the box for a good output of shots:
    MUk0Wbj.jpg

What's important is how the partnership works and how the front four complement each other. They worked it out on Sunday, created a decent collection of chances (we had a higher xG than City, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea) and scored 3 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Jakers can't believe that Marial tweet. The fact that he has tweeted about it suggests that it is affecting him.

Obviously every player is put under the spotlight and media will pounce at everything, it's nothing new seeing the relationship scandal but when players let it affect them it can lead to some poor form.

I am always under the opinion that one of the most crucial thing for a goalscorer or forward player was mentality. You could be the most talented man in the world but if you aren't right mentally it won't click, likewise average players can hit tremendous form when they think they are unstoppable.

Now I hope Martial comes out and plays a blinder in the next few games to prove me wrong but I would be worried that the whole thing could affect his form.

Same, love to see him give a big performance. He's a hard lad to figure out or read and I didn't think his body language looked good at all on Saturday, especially on Rooneys goal. Didn't feature much at all at Euros and not a great pre season either, hope where only overthinking it

J. Marston wrote: »
    Costa scores when he should have been sent off, and refs think they should be getting respect.

If you're too scared to make a decision, expect shít from players.

Of course refs should be getting respect. They'll still make mistakes, because they are human and the job is nearly impossible, but players no longer being allowed to shout abuse in refs' faces is a very good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Was it the positivity train?

You know it was girl
    Must-have a word with kew
    There'd never be bad Wi-Fi on the #positivityplane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

So Manchester evening news are saying that united are favourite to sign Gabriel Barbosa and believe it or not they reckon the deal could be done in the next 48 hours.....
    I think we have heard that before.

• brinty wrote: »
    You know it was girl
    Must-have a word with kew
    There'd never be bad Wi-Fi on the #positivityplane

• jayo26 wrote: »
    So Manchester evening news are saying that united are favourite to sign Gabriel Barbosa and believe it or not they reckon the deal could be done in the next 48 hours.....

The question is why? No place in the squad
    Attempt at pulling Unitd into the Jim Whyte nonsense
    Lol "The next Neymar" they said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jayo26 wrote: »
    Its coming from a Sun 'exclusive'. We heard something not too dissimilar with regards to the Brazilian lad who City signed - reports in Brazil were saying we were interested and had promised to make a bigger bid than City, which never seemed to come to pass.

To discuss the story as if it is true - the guy is apparently very highly rated so would (apparently) be a good addition to the squad. However, I would wonder what signing him would mean for Martial/Rashford - as he is a similar age to both and, I think, a similar style of player so would be direct competition for them. Of course there could be an idea that all three could be awesome in a front three (like a front three of Neymar, Messi, Suarez).

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I think because city have been doing so well building for the future and United want to do the same???????

Seriously though I wouldn't see how Barbosa would help us at all. He is a talented player with great potential but we already have that.

Plus if ya ever tried to sign him on football manager it's impossible to get a work permit for the feker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Liam O wrote: »
    Rooney scored and could have easily had 2 or 3 more. He's getting into positions to score and Zlatan is dropping back a good bit too. Martial and Mata were also coming inside a lot so there wasn't an awful lot of space. As far as Rooney's games in the last while that was a very encouraging one imo in that he was getting into the positions where he has proven in the past to be most deadly.

Why persist with Rooney when Mata, Pogba and from what everyone says Micky Ryan are better in that position.

Let Rooney compete with Zlatan and Rashford.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think because city have been doing so well building for the future and United want to do the same???????

Seriously though I wouldn't see how Barbosa would help us at all. He is a talented player with great potential but we already have that.

Plus if ya ever tried to sign him on football manager it's impossible to get a work permit for the feker.

Really? Always get one easily for whoever I sign him as. Deploy him as a RW inside forward with some games as a striker, and he's been my top scorer for two seasons now as United in my current run. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Call me a bog-hopper all you want but tractors are a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Bog-hopper :p :pac:

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Really? Always get one easily for whoever I sign him as. Deploy him as a RW inside forward with some games as a striker, and he's been my top scorer for two seasons now as United in my current run. :P

I will admit I don't think I tried sign him in 16 but could never get him last year but he was lethal in it when I just used editor to steal him.

• Advertisement

I'd change the name to Alex Ferguson and splash a few united crest on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Customising tractors,there could be opening for a new business there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Then I'd never be see dead in it.

:pac:

Customising tractors,there could be opening for a new business there :D

We could setup a tractor detailing thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Southampton is a good test early on. The defence will be tested for sure.

Is Pogba allowed play this Friday?

You are late with that news, do keep up.

Southampton is a good test early on. The defence will be tested for sure.

Yeh he is free to play.

original-1457326946297.jpg

Man-utd-tractor-742x417.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Friday night football.

Win and sit back and watch the rest fight over the weekend.

Lose and watch the weekend drag as others gain on you.

• Southampton is a good test early on. The defence will be tested for sure.

Yes he most certainly is available for selection.
    Friday night football. Love it tbh

• Advertisement

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJKURO0j1wY/
    Good morning! THE PATMOBILE on LATINO MOOD I LOVE HIS GAME!

ha love evra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Barbosa.....BARBOSA.......

CAN'T TELL IF REAL LIFE OR FOOTBALL MANAGER

I'd imagine bought and then loaned back.

Probably struggle with a work permit anyway, and he's only 19, so no immediate rush to get into the squad.

TheDoc wrote: »

Wasn't he in Pirates of the Caribbean?

Wasn't he in Pirates of the Caribbean?

He was in my United side that won three consecutive trebles :cool:

I've only just copped now that imgur is blocked in work, and probably all image hosting sites.

Wondering why I see so many blank posts, and people thanking them. Stern word with IT to be had

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

TheDoc wrote: »

or a movie 01c213c174ebbac3d9c0024db4ca26f3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Cup tied afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

beno619 wrote: »
    Why persist with Rooney when Mata, Pogba and from what everyone says Micky Ryan are better in that position.

Let Rooney compete with Zlatan and Rashford.

Because Rooney scores more goals than them and United have the majority of possession anyway. Pogba will be shoehorned in somewhere but I think the way the team was set up on Sunday was very good for taking on these bottom dwellers who were picking up results against United last season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Liam O wrote: »
    Because Rooney scores more goals than them and United have the majority of possession anyway. Pogba will be shoehorned in somewhere but I think the way the team was set up on Sunday was very good for taking on these bottom dwellers who were picking up results against United last season.

Ah here. He will be first name on the teamsheet and rightly so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement