Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

zerks wrote: »

Haha got a good laugh out of FCSteauas timeline. Some great tweets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Hahaha that is crazy!!! So savage. I wish our club Twitter was like this. #OilCity is what I'll refer to them from now on :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Stupid question but is that Steaua Bucharest twitter their official twitter? Surely not. The tweets were pretty hilarious though.
    #oilcity
    #pepisbald :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just reading on United Rant that the club are said to be concentrating building their marketing around Pogba and Zlatan rather than sticking with Rooney as the main man.
    Zlatan is a worldwide brand on his own and Pogba is the world record signing,it kinda makes sense that the club uses the 2 to promote their brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's a fan account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Maybe the first couple of tweets where funny but after that just stupid to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yeah, hyperbole is a thing you will see on the Internet a lot. Don't take everything so literal.
    Pub player is a common term for someone after playing poorly.

Ah yeah and if I hadn't posted those stats the level heads on Rooney's critics would have prevailed and yis would have all admitted that you were all just being hyperbolic.

Fact is, since the stats have come into the discussion the criticisms of Rooney have become far more reasonable and in touch with reality. It started off with things like "he messed up every second pass he attempted, no matter how simple" and "every second touch was a tackle" but has now turned to things like "well he's not passing it forward enough" and "he might be keeping the ball, but he's doing it in the wrong areas."
    I don't care.
    And it really shows in the quality of argument you put forward on this topic.

I think we're all guilty of hyperbole when it comes to things we don't like in football, but if you're blowing hyperbole then you shouldn't be annoyed when someone pulls you up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Zlatan playing off Rashford is something I'd like to see, with Martial and MK either side and Pogba bursting forward.

For the most part I don't see what Rooney provides that Zlatan doesn't these days, and Rashford running off the defender would be useful.

Southampton will be a good test, mid to bottom table teams at home is where we fell apart last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Pro. F wrote: »
    And it really shows in the quality of argument you put forward on this topic.

I guess that one went over your all knowing head.

• Advertisement

Zlatan playing off Rashford is something I'd like to see, with Martial and MK either side and Pogba bursting forward.

For the most part I don't see what Rooney provides that Zlatan doesn't these days, and Rashford running off the defender would be useful.

Southampton will be a good test, mid to bottom table teams at home is where we fell apart last season.

Chelsea were just like United used to be against 'smaller' teams,flat track bullies.Hopefully Jose can cure the ills of the last 3 years where these teams set all kinds of new records against us-all of them unwanted.
    We should go back to beating these teams as expected and let the big games take care of themselves as we know how Jose can set teams up for such occasions.

I guess that one went over your all knowing head.

Good come back.

For the most part I don't see what Rooney provides that Zlatan doesn't these days,

Work rate and movement.

Good come back.

Call me childish and I'll be childish.
    There was no discussion to be had there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Poo

Call me childish and I'll be childish.
    There was no discussion to be had there.

There's been plenty of discussion available about the topic of Rooney and his place in the team. But you haven't been able to put forward a defensible argument and so instead have just sniped from the sideline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pretty much the line up that one of the lads is convinced will be how we are lining up mostly by Christmas, I have my doubts but something to try alright.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Latest media link from the Jorge Mendes & Manchester United PR machine suggests that Saints are about to be offered Marcos Rojo as part of the Jose Fonte deal.

The whisper on the street is that all of the stories in the media regarding Jose Fonte's move to Manchester United are being fuelled by super agent Jorge Mendes who of course apart from being Jose Mourinho's agent and close friend is also Jose Fonte's

Although it is likely that Mendes is merely placing the rumours to secure a higher deal for his client that the new contract Saints have placed on the table, it is never the less a distraction that Saints do not need and the whisper in footballing circles is that Fonte's emission from the side on Saturday was more about his mental fitness than physical and harks back to the troubles we had with Wanyama a year ago.

The latest news is that United are willing to trade Marcos Rojo for Jose Fonte.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/43552/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

New thread incoming
    Wish list for new thread
    1 no Mata is leaving talk..
    2 no daily Rooney is crap/godlike debate..
    3 Fellaini maintains his good form and Bangkok declares his undying love!!!!
    4 we beat city and the liver birds
    5 the positivity plane,train and tractor get a nice rest and clean
    6 we're still top of the table and lastly
    7 everybody starts loving everybody

Hopefully that's not to much to ask for ...

• Advertisement

There's been plenty of discussion available about the topic of Rooney and his place in the team. But you haven't been able to put forward a defensible argument and so instead have just sniped from the sideline.

Here's my argument. I've watched him play the last 2 games and he was sh*te. I've said on more than one occasion that there's a better option in every position he can supposedly play.

It's time he was dumped and his world class wages used to pay a world class player.

Your argument amounts to "yeah but stats"
    No amount of heat maps or graphics with arrows pointing backwards and sidewards is going to convince me he's playing well.

500+ posts left till new thread no?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Here's my argument. I've watched him play the last 2 games and he was sh*te. I've said on more than one occasion that there's a better option in every position he can supposedly play.

It's time he was dumped and his world class wages used to pay a world class player.

No amount of heat maps or graphics with arrows pointing backwards and sidewards is going to convince me he's playing well.

No one is disputing that you're entitled to your opinion. I and others will disagree with you and we're entitled to our opinion.

Where the problem lies is that when expressing your opinion, you and others who hate Rooney will use blatant untruthes to express your displeasure. Surely if the man was so sh1te you would be able to convey that without resorting to nonsense like "every second touch is a tackle" or "he loses the ball every time he gets it" or "he can't play a 5 yard pass".

If he's awful sh1te then you should be able to explain why or how using actual things he does or doesn't do.

500+ posts left till new thread no?

This one's been a beaut. Bought Pogba, won every competitive game! :pac:

For the last 3 seasons it has been a case of Rooney and then pick 10 others to play with him.Being pandered to and a knowledge that he is undroppable has put him in a comfort zone where doing the bare basics seems to be enough.
    Sure he has been a great servant for the club but his time is over.He proclaimed "play me as CF and I will score", after 2 games of doing shag all,he was moaning that he is not a #9.
    I played football with a guy like that,he was always picked no matter how poor he was just because of his reputation,It became a cancer in the club as younger and better players left.

Care to explain how he's been shíte? Because so far you have made zero argument here to support that claim.

Blatent lie that I have already addressed several times.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    No one is disputing that you're entitled to your opinion. I and others will disagree with you and we're entitled to our opinion.

Where the problem lies is that when expressing your opinion, you and others who hate Rooney will use blatant untruthes to express your displeasure. Surely if the man was so sh1te you would be able to convey that without resorting to nonsense like "every second touch is a tackle" or "he loses the ball every time he gets it" or "he can't play a 5 yard pass".

If he's awful sh1te then you should be able to explain why or how using actual things he does or doesn't do.

I don't have the will to spell it out for you or anybody else. He played sh*te in my opinion and from reading and listening to what others are saying it's hardly an out there opinion.

Care to explain how he's been shíte? Because so far you have made zero argument here to support that claim.

I said I wasn't going to spell it out but... First touch, decision making, dithering on the ball, lack of incisive passing, just a general lack of any creativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

This Rooney **** is more annoying than his performances. End of day he will be our club record goalscorer so he's obviously not djemba djemba standard.

stankratz wrote: »
    I know Jose said Rooney would not be a 6 or 8, but the captain was occupying those territories at times during the game on Sunday. He wasn't playing as how a traditional 10 operates, and a lot of his play and movement seem to indicate that he enjoys playing deeper. He dropped to take the ball out of defense ffs! Surely he isn't going against his managers instructions is he? But Jose said 'never a 6 or an 8'.

I agree that he drops very deep at times. I would point out that most 10s do that to some extent, although Rooney can get extreme doing it. More importantly, he's still receiving the ball in the places you expect a number 10 to.

Like look at where he received his passes on Sunday:
    mMJiH33.jpg

If you look at that in terms of passes received in the final third, in front of and inside the box and compare it to most big name 10s (except for the ones on tiki taka teams, who might as well be playing a different sport) then that is not too shabby at all. And this was in a game where Ibra was also playing, who likes to drop back and occupy that 10 role himself, meaning Rooney was spending significant time running past him and doing CF things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Not getting involved into the Rooney thing, because I'm retired, but just going to say something about the above.

Everyone will have an opinion on a player, from what they see watching them, some people see something different to others, but I really do not understand why in arguments people give out about the use of stats.

I much prefer someone using stats or reasoning to back up their opinions, I honestly don't understand when people have a go at others who do so. Stats aren't there to form your entire argument rather they give it legs or reasoning outside of personal opinion.

Now I am not saying you have to use stats, but I just don't understand peoples problems with them being used. In every situation on both sides of the arguments stats can be brought in to give perspective to that persons view. Stats can be your friend.

a0CrcSa.gif

• Advertisement

Rooney not having been a Djemba-Djemba for his United career (about 12 years now isn't it?) doesn't negate the fact that he is not playing to a level we would all like him to be at currently, or has played at for some time now other then a flash here or there.

He is not held to some higher standard because people don't like him, but more is expected of him due to his role in the team, his experience, his hard work to put himself in this position in the first place, he deserves to be judged against the very highest standards, those are what he set himself.

He is going to go down as a club legend, maybe not with much affection from a large proportion of the fanbase, but a legend none the less. His time is coming to an end though I feel, and though I don't think every time he plays he is ****e, I don't think he is very good much of the time either. This is a big season for him, he now has a manager who will absolutely jettison him if he is not doing what he is being asked and he has seen players come in to play the roles he plays and it will be interesting to see how he responds to the challenge as the season goes by.

I don't think he was very good at all against Bournmouth, I think he is going to hold the team back offensively if he does not up his game but I also don't think he was the worst player on the pitch.

this was in a game where Ibra was also playing, who likes to drop back and occupy that 10 role himself, meaning Rooney was spending significant time running past him and doing CF things.

As odd as it seems, and you do have to look hard I know, but there are actually some small encouraging signs from the Ibra/Rooney partnership. On paper it actually shouldn't work but it just might!

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    This Rooney **** is more annoying than his performances. End of day he will be our club record goalscorer so he's obviously not djemba djemba standard.

He wishes he was Djembas standard!

It would be gas if a Djemba Djemba debate broke out.

I still think the most random argument I've had on boards was when someone was arguing tooth and nail that Luke Chadwick was a better footballer than Beckham but he didn't succeed because he didn't have Beckhams looks :pac:

Day 3 and the Rooney debate rages on, I fear we might be in for a long season...

T7Iw6.png

Adamocovic wrote: »
    He wishes he was Djembas standard!

It would be gas if a Djemba Djemba debate broke out.

I still think the most random argument I've had on boards was when someone was arguing tooth and nail that Luke Chadwick was a better footballer than Beckham but he didn't succeed because he didn't have Beckhams looks :pac:

I actually remember that but cannot for the life of me remember who it was! Must have been on the wind up though :)

I actually remember that but cannot for the life of me remember who it was! Must have been on the wind up though :)

Haha I can't either, I couldn't believe my eyes, and I got sucked into it and all!

Still was nice to have a bit of a unique debate rather than the same old ones doing circles. :pac:

EDIT:

Found it hahah, over 2 years old now, was posted by Larry Wildman (whatever happened to him?). Wasn't better but that Beckham was only a decent player who if he had Chadwicks looks wouldn't be as highly regarded :P
    I'd question whether he'd have won as many individual awards or achieved as much generally had he looked more like Luke Chadwick.

And no, I'm not trolling or taking the p..s.

A good player but not a great player to coin a phrase.

To put it another way, I wouldn't have him anywhere near an all time United greats top 10.

Also what was gas was at that time people were commenting about how the Vermalean deal should be done soon, I forgot we were even linked with him :pac:

Not getting involved into the Rooney thing, because I'm retired, but just going to say something about the above.

Everyone will have an opinion on a player, from what they see watching them, some people see something different to others, but I really do not understand why in arguments people give out about the use of stats.

I much prefer someone using stats or reasoning to back up their opinions, I honestly don't understand when people have a go at others who do so. Stats aren't there to form your entire argument rather they give it legs or reasoning outside of personal opinion.

Now I am not saying you have to use stats, but I just don't understand peoples problems with them being used. In every situation on both sides of the arguments stats can be brought in to give perspective to that persons view. Stats can be your friend.

I've no problem with anyone using stats. Some people tend to base their opinions too heavily on stats for me.

I could argue against you on a player's performance in a game I hadn't watched using stats.

Luke still has more EPL medals than Gerrard.

20 Years ago:

I said I wasn't going to spell it out but... First touch, decision making, dithering on the ball, lack of incisive passing, just a general lack of any creativity.

He had some manky touches, but I don't agree that he had enough, nor dithered enough, for it to be a real issue. And the number of passes he received and completed would back that up.

I agree that he lacked incisive passes, but with Ibra providing very little movement all game, Mata (who doesn't have the legs) on one wing and Martial (who is struggling to get up and down the pitch) on the other, there was very little movement ahead of him and so not much opportunity for those types of passes.

He did however adapt and take advantage of Ibra's strength and creativity when Ibra dropped off and ran past him into the box and produced a good return of shots from exactly where you'd want them.

I've no problem with anyone using stats. Some people tend to base their opinions too heavily on stats for me.

I could argue against you on a player's performance in a game I hadn't watched using stats.

Some might argue that others completely disregard statistics for their opinion.

But I do agree, a healthy combination of both is needed, you can't rely to heavily on either stats or personal opinion.

• Advertisement

Luke still has more EPL medals than Gerrard.

20 Years ago:

Stop now I'm just rewatching Beckhams goals.

As odd as it seems, and you do have to look hard I know, but there are actually some small encouraging signs from the Ibra/Rooney partnership. On paper it actually shouldn't work but it just might!

I agree. Ibra's strength and creativity and Rooney's good movement and work rate, combined with them both being good goal threats, means they might be able to play off each other.

The one thing I worry about though, is that if they both lack pace, then surely the two wide players should be picked to provide it.

Martial is fast, but even when he's fully fit, I suspect he's too big of a lump to be getting up and down the line and also providing pace in behind the defence. Mata doesn't have the legs for it at all. Mkhitaryan is also not that fast or rangy for playing wide. Even at Dortmund (who always have their players much fitter than most teams) he was more inclined to make slaloming runs on the ball than burst onto a through ball like a fast winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Stop now I'm just rewatching Beckhams goals.

The Jersey you could turn inside out for the gold one what a novelty

He had some manky touches, but I don't agree that he had enough, nor dithered enough, for it to be a real issue. And the number of passes he received and completed would back that up.

I agree that he lacked incisive passes, but with Ibra providing very little movement all game, Mata (who doesn't have the legs) on one wing and Martial (who is struggling to get up and down the pitch) on the other, there was very little movement ahead of him and so not much opportunity for those types of passes.

He did however adapt and take advantage of Ibra's strength and creativity when Ibra dropped off and ran past him into the box and produced a good return of shots from exactly where you'd want them.

If only Rooney was playing in a better team he could live up to his potential shame on that forward 3 for offering 0 options all game to make a forward and incisive pass. Not sure why he couldnt find a forward pass when he dropped deep eitgher prob Fellainis and Herrera fault no doubt

I had a quick look at the press gossip on the Sky sports app and one of the papers claim Jose had had talks with Balotelli,hopefully it's about going back to Italy.

If only Rooney was playing in a better team he could live up to his potential shame on that forward 3 for offering 0 options all game to make a forward and incisive pass. Not sure why he couldnt find a forward pass when he dropped deep eitgher prob Fellainis and Herrera fault no doubt

He kept it simple when he dropped deep. That is not something to be complaining about. Mata had a total of one completed pass into the box (and that was to Rooney), I suppose he lacks creativity too.

Rooney kept his passing simple, while working with what Ibra was giving him, running past him into the box and getting a good return of shots.

Given the context (first game of the season under a new manager and with a lack of pace and/or movement in the forward players) the significance of this passing issue is being wildly exaggerated.

He kept it simple when he dropped deep. That is not something to be complaining about. Mata had a total of one completed pass into the box (and that was to Rooney), I suppose he lacks creativity too.

Rooney kept his passing simple, while working with what Ibra was giving him, running past him into the box and getting a good return of shots.

Given the context (first game of the season under a new manager and with a lack of pace and/or movement in the forward players) the significance of this passing issue is being wildly exaggerated.

Yes what I said was exaggerated to highlight that you are trying to blame 3 other players for Rooneys lack of incisive passing. Anyways as you say first game so I am willing to hold out and see. Are you saying though Rooney was offered no opportunity to play some good forward passes to those front 3?

Id be iinterested to see Matas passing map if you have a link handy.

I agree that he drops very deep at times. I would point out that most 10s do that to some extent, although Rooney can get extreme doing it. More importantly, he's still receiving the ball in the places you expect a number 10 to.

Like look at where he received his passes on Sunday:
    mMJiH33.jpg

If you look at that in terms of passes received in the final third, in front of and inside the box and compare it to most big name 10s (except for the ones on tiki taka teams, who might as well be playing a different sport) then that is not too shabby at all. And this was in a game where Ibra was also playing, who likes to drop back and occupy that 10 role himself, meaning Rooney was spending significant time running past him and doing CF things.

That's the thing for me. For a 10 he's dropping a bit too deep and a bit too often. Is this because of LVG and now Jose's instructions, or just the Rooney we've come to know who likes to go and demand the ball rather than wait for the pass? There is one arrow up there along the backline where I specifically remember him bypassing the CMs to receive the ball and take it out of defense. The passes received further up aren't bad for a #10. I don't think he was bad on Sunday, but I just don't know if he is our ideal #10 for the the present and future, not with the competition there is for attacking spots within the squad, and also a need to develop some of the younger talent.

Even at 10, he seems to be hungry to be this all over the field enforcer, but I don't believe he currently is capable of filling that roll and find myself wondering what exactly is his roll going forward? There is a 'Jack of all trades, master of none' element to his game these days from what I observe, where in the past although he had a good all-round game, he was more a specialist goalscorer. When the regular goals dry up, which they seem to have, when that yard of pace is nullified, when that bit of killer instinct loses its sharpness, as it seems to have done, what then? Or more precisely, what now? The rest of his game that remains, I don't know if he does it as good as others in the squad. i.e. Mata at 10.

I will admit though that his 'Hollywood passes' out to the wings seem to be a bit more effective now that Valencia is looking a threat and/or our attackers have been finally instructed to attack, and not wait for a 100% clear path to form towards the goal like in an LVG team. Wayne has some pass in fairness. There are still uses for him. If he is going to play that bit of a deeper role and try to get about the pitch, maybe he and Pogba will form a bit of a successful partnership in that regard. It's not that it's all bad at the moment, it's just uncertain with him for me.

Interesting, even though Ibra does like to drop back, the way I saw that on Sunday was that he was doing so to fill space which Rooney should have been occupying. Even where Ibra took his goal from, that would be a #10 area he found himself in. Could be just me automatically looking to blame Rooney for abandoning his post rather than credit him for giving Ibra the space he wanted.

Yes what I said was exaggerated to highlight that you are trying to blame 3 other players for Rooneys lack of incisive passing. Anyways as you say first game so I am willing to hold out and see.

You can call it "blaming" if you like, it makes no difference. If you're trying to deny that there was a serious lack of pace and movement up front and that that would seriously inhibit incisive passing then you are wrong.
    Id be iinterested to see Matas passing map if you have a link handy.

Here's all of Mata's passes:
    oWvRJ0G.jpg

And here's the forward ones only:
    UvQ9uAP.jpg
    ...incisive.

Source: statszone

• Advertisement

That's the thing for me. For a 10 he's dropping a bit too deep and a bit too often. Is this because of LVG and now Jose's instructions, or just the Rooney we've come to know who likes to go and demand the ball rather than wait for the pass? There is one arrow up there along the backline where I specifically remember him bypassing the CMs to receive the ball and take it out of defense. The passes received further up aren't bad for a #10. I don't think he was bad on Sunday, but I just don't know if he is our ideal #10 for the the present and future, not with the competition there is for attacking spots within the squad, and also a need to develop some of the younger talent.

I think you're not giving him near enough credit here. The number and location of passes Rooney received in the final third is a hell of a lot better for a #10 than just "not bad."
    Interesting, even though Ibra does like to drop back, the way I saw that on Sunday was that he was doing so to fill space which Rooney should have been occupying. Even where Ibra took his goal from, that would be a #10 area he found himself in. Could be just me automatically looking to blame Rooney for abandoning his post rather than credit him for giving Ibra the space he wanted.

But it is just wrong to say that Rooney wasn't occupying the 10 space. You can see how many times he received the ball in that space, a lot. He also received the ball a lot in the box and in central midfield, but that did not stop him from receiving it in the 10 area at a very good rate. A rate that compares favourably to the majority of top level 10s (except for the ones playing on tiki taka teams). And it wasn't just in yesterday's game, Rooney has always been like this when playing 10.

Anyway, as you say, Ibra always likes to drop deep, so that is a good explanation for why he dropped deep. If we didn't want a CF dropping deep and the 10 running past him, then we shouldn't have signed Ibra.

Tbh, I am thinking there's a fair chance that Mourinho will tweak Rooney's game and tell him to not drop deep so often. He tired badly on Sunday and if he wasn't dropping back so much that might help. But that is a seperate issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement