Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Pro. F wrote: »
    I agree. Ibra's strength and creativity and Rooney's good movement and work rate, combined with them both being good goal threats, means they might be able to play off each other.

The one thing I worry about though, is that if they both lack pace, then surely the two wide players should be picked to provide it.

Martial is fast, but even when he's fully fit, I suspect he's too big of a lump to be getting up and down the line and also providing pace in behind the defence. Mata doesn't have the legs for it at all. Mkhitaryan is also not that fast or rangy for playing wide. Even at Dortmund (who always have their players much fitter than most teams) he was more inclined to make slaloming runs on the ball than burst onto a through ball like a fast winger.

Heeeeeere's Jesse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

zerks wrote: »
    I had a quick look at the press gossip on the Sky sports app and one of the papers claim Jose had had talks with Balotelli,hopefully it's about going back to Italy.

Nothing would absolutely smash my optimism and satisfaction with the club at the moment, as signing that absolutely abhorrent waste of space.

Conspiracy Theory
    We are looking to sign Fonte to throw Mendes a bone, after the summer Raola love in this summer

*Still can't really fathom signing Fonte, soz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheDoc wrote: »
    Nothing would absolutely smash my optimism and satisfaction with the club at the moment, as signing that absolutely abhorrent waste of space.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/manchester-united-boss-holds-shock-transfer-meeting-liverpool-player/
    Yes. José Mourinho really did have a meeting with a Liverpool player, but don’t panic, it wasn’t to buy him.

You see, ever since Mario Balotelli decided to come back to the Premier League after a stint at AC Milan, things haven’t exactly gone to plan.

Brendan Rodgers’ decision to buy the Italian forward raised more than just a few eyebrows, and the deal went exactly as planned: not very well.

There was hope, but one goal in 16 league appearance (four in 28 in all competitions) underlined how the once talented youngster had lost that je ne sais quoi, and a loan back to AC Milan was put in place for the 2015-16 season.

Three goals in 23 appearances and a bad injury later, the player is back in Liverpool and not a part of Jürgen Klopp’s plans.

Balotelli has been linked with a return to Italy, but his personal terms seem to be too much for most clubs, and so he asked one of his former managers for some help.

That man happens to be José Mourinho, now in charge of Manchester United, and Calciomercato claim the informal meeting was just to get some advice, mostly on how to change his attitude and lower his demands to get the transfer he wants.

Let’s not forget Mourinho and Balotelli enjoyed a strong relationship at Inter Milan back in the day, and this meeting is simply a mentor helping his former pupil.

Personally, we find it quite sweet.

Conspiracy Theory
    We are looking to sign Fonte to throw Mendes a bone, after the summer Raola love in this summer

*Still can't really fathom signing Fonte, soz

Well rumours today is that we are offering Rojo as part of the deal. Don't know if straight swap or what. If he is being brought in instead of Rojo I think it's a good move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

20 years ago today Becks scored from the halfway line v Wimbledon. I remember hearing about it and refusing to believe such a wild tale until I saw it on MOTD. Time fliers! :D
    https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/765809157786046464

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

wow - even Zerks got there before you...

wow - even Zerks got there before you...

Fair play. I read through and still didn't see it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Can't wait for Rooney to play crap again on Friday and bang in 2 goals....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    Can't wait for Rooney to play crap again on Friday and bang in 2 goals....

I think you just enjoy it. Your like one of them kids that sets fire to something an watch in amazement as it burns ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Pro. F wrote: »
    You can call it "blaming" if you like, it makes no difference. If you're trying to deny that there was a serious lack of pace and movement up front and that that would seriously inhibit incisive passing then you are wrong.

Here's all of Mata's passes:
    oWvRJ0G.jpg

And here's the forward ones only:
    UvQ9uAP.jpg
    ...incisive.

Source: statszone

I may have to resort to these stats on Friday night after Rooney scores in another victory but doesn't put in a god-like performance.

Only a handful of forward passes by Mata in Bournemouth's half and even less in the actual direction of the goal. Plenty passed out to the right wing - presumably to Valencia - unforgivable if it's Rooney that does it though. One pass into the box, is this one of the "far better options" we have for no. 10?

As for Rooney's lack of incisiveness and creativity, I had a look at some more of Mata's stats and his position for received passes certainly isn't one that will promote incisiveness. He also had zero take-ons, and only one failed cross into the box which was from a corner. For a right winger, that is absolutely atrocious, yet Rooney gets most of the blame. As I mentioned previously here, it's difficult to be incisive and creative when a team is sitting back and a defense isn't stretched. For all the criticism of Rooney not living up to no. 10 role, Mata was even more of a failure at right wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I may have to resort to these stats on Friday night after Rooney scores in another victory but doesn't put in a god-like performance.

Only a handful of forward passes by Mata in Bournemouth's half and even less in the actual direction of the goal. Plenty passed out to the right wing - presumably to Valencia - unforgivable if it's Rooney that does it though. One pass into the box, is this one of the "far better options" we have for no. 10?

As for Rooney's lack of incisiveness and creativity, I had a look at some more of Mata's stats and his position for received passes certainly isn't one that will promote incisiveness. He also had zero take-ons, and only one failed cross into the box which was from a corner. For a right winger, that is absolutely atrocious, yet Rooney gets most of the blame. As I mentioned previously here, it's difficult to be incisive and creative when a team is sitting back and a defense isn't stretched. For all the criticism of Rooney not living up to no. 10 role, Mata was even more of a failure at right wing.
    mata playing out of position

magnumbud wrote: »

Mata was more central then right for most of the game even though he started out wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Mata is a better 10 than Rooney, it's not even close IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mata is a better 10 than Rooney, it's not even close IMO.

Any particular Mata performances at 10 in a United shirt to back that up?
    magnumbud wrote: »

True, which goes some way to explaining Rooney's lack of incisiveness and creativity when he's offered absolutely nothing from his right winger. No one acknowledges that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

True, which goes some way to explaining Rooney's lack of incisiveness and creativity when he's offered absolutely nothing from his right winger. No one acknowledges that though.

my issue with rooney is his touch and slowing down of the play. his hollywood balls out to the wing to valencia look great but slows down the play in the time it takes the ball to get down and then having to control the ball which gives more time for the left back to get out to valencia.

matas touch and passing for me is much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

25 years ago since Schmeichel's debut for United.

My hero as a boy, and the greatest keeper in history in my humble completely unbiased :) opinion.

Also shocking to remember how many of those bloody ugly early/mid 90s keeper shirts I owned. The white monstrosity with the blue and yellow lines, the dark green one with the yellow trim... *shudder*

astradave wrote: »
    Well rumours today is that we are offering Rojo as part of the deal. Don't know if straight swap or what. If he is being brought in instead of Rojo I think it's a good move.

I'd prefer keeping Rojo. He has shown some promise in his first season, just disrupted by injury and general Van Gaal.

Passionate player who is full blooded. I'd prefer keeping the 26 year old Argentinian international who has clear trajectories to improve, over a 32yr old CB that I've never really been impressed with

Any particular Mata performances at 10 in a United shirt to back that up?

He has the attributes for it, it's a much more natural position for him than Rooney. Before he came to United he was considered a number 10, we just stuck him on the wing.

• Advertisement

He has the attributes for it, it's a much more natural position for him than Rooney. Before he came to United he was considered a number 10, we just stuck him on the wing.

So no then.

So small bit off topic but myself and the wife going over for the game the weekend were heading off tomorrow I'm gonna bring the car as we gonna try do a bit around Manchester.

So any of ye that are used to going around Manchester any ideas of a few things that would be cool to do around the city or surrounding areas? Anytime I went over it was just for the game and a piss up but we been a bit me mature this time.

She wants to do the corrie studios so we will probably do that and one of her work buddies has booked us a trip up the hilton or something not sure what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I'd prefer keeping Rojo. He has shown some promise in his first season, just disrupted by injury and general Van Gaal.

Passionate player who is full blooded. I'd prefer keeping the 26 year old Argentinian international who has clear trajectories to improve, over a 32yr old CB that I've never really been impressed with

I think this signing is very much about "floors" and "ceilings" though. As in we have too many centre halves at the minute with a high ceiling in terms of talent but also a relatively low floor. Fonte comes in and he'll be very much what you see is what you get and would provide some assuredness while the others improve.

Also is everyone forgetting that in Mata's two POTS stints at Chelsea that he played a hell of a lot of games on the right? Not as a winger obviously but he didn't always start in the conventional No. 10 position like some people are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

I really don't agree... He may be passionate (although I'm not even sure on this), but he's not full blooded. He looks "hard", South American with the tattoos and that, but he's an Armadillo. Hard on the outside, soft on the inside. When we signed him I was hoping for a Vidic like character that would smash through a brick wall to head a ball away, but I feel Rojo doesn't always go for everything he could and seems a little defensively clueless at times. Admittedly, I don't have any clips to back up him not being "hard", but it's just my general feeling on it.

Basically, I'm not a fan and I don't think he's United level. As stupid as it is, I think if he looked like Johnny Evans he would get a lot more stick from fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

jayo26 wrote: »
    So small bit off topic but myself and the wife going over for the game the weekend were heading off tomorrow I'm gonna bring the car as we gonna try do a bit around Manchester.

So any of ye that are used to going around Manchester any ideas of a few things that would be cool to do around the city or surrounding areas? Anytime I went over it was just for the game and a piss up but we been a bit me mature this time.

She wants to do the corrie studios so we will probably do that and one of her work buddies has booked us a trip up the hilton or something not sure what it is.

The Trafford centre is GREAT for shopping and nice cafes etc. Absolutely massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The Imperial War Museum is basically across the river from Old Trafford.

Highly recommend it. It's absolutely massive with some really cool things inside!

http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-north?gclid=COqTrO-pyM4CFe687QodULEFWA

The Trafford centre is GREAT for shopping and nice cafes etc. Absolutely massive.

Yeh been there we have the shopping planned for one day to get that out a the way ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

DrPhilG wrote: »

25 years ago since Schmeichel's debut for United.

My hero as a boy, and the greatest keeper in history in my humble completely unbiased :) opinion.

And for those of us who remember, Schmeichel was the man who won the 1992 European Championships for Denmark. He was outstanding throughout the tournament and without him Denmark would have got nowhere near the trophy.

• jayo26 wrote: »

Head to Sam Platts and drink a heap of Tennents ;)

Bring her to the Trafford Centre, some shopping centre bouy!
    The food court is class too for a proper meal / wine.

Oh remember going to a theater once also but can't remember which one.
    The hard rock cafe was nice too.

• Advertisement

Yeh been there we have the shopping planned for one day to get that out a the way ;)

I hope your car has a big boot :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Second the imperial war museum, have been a few times and if you enjoy history it's really worth a trip. There's a science/industry museum also in town which is worth a trip too although not as interesting as the imperial war.
    There's the football museum in the city near the printworks/arndale centre. You could book afternoon tea for the wife in the richmond tea rooms while doing the footie museum, it's actually really good and has an alice in wonderland vibe to it.
    There's plenty of nice bars cafés. Personally I like the Northern quarter. It's the slightly more laid back (eek hipster) part of the city. Around Spinningfields is a little more upmarket.
    It's not a huge city so maybe leave the car parked up and take a good walk around. Then hop back in the car and head to somewhere along the curry mile for something to eat.
    Anything on in the MEN?

So no then.

Well if he's not getting played there...
    Why doesn't his time at Chelsea count with you?

Well if he's not getting played there...
    Why doesn't his time at Chelsea count with you?

Same reason Rooney's performances from 3 years ago don't count for you.

s.welstead wrote: »
    Second the imperial war museum, have been a few times and if you enjoy history it's really worth a trip. There's a science/industry museum also in town which is worth a trip too although not as interesting as the imperial war.
    There's the football museum in the city near the printworks/arndale centre. You could book afternoon tea for the wife in the richmond tea rooms while doing the footie museum, it's actually really good and has an alice in wonderland vibe to it.
    There's plenty of nice bars cafés. Personally I like the Northern quarter. It's the slightly more laid back (eek hipster) part of the city. Around Spinningfields is a little more upmarket.
    It's not a huge city so maybe leave the car parked up and take a good walk around. Then hop back in the car and head to somewhere along the curry mile for something to eat.
    Anything on in the MEN?

Thanks pal some great ideas there . Luckily for me she enjoys her footie too so she will come to the football museum with me ;) been go ogling a few place so have a few notes jot down.
    I hope your car has a big boot :D;)

Haha oh it does indeed and we even leaving the child at home incase they no room for he in the back haha.

Cheshire Oaks just outside Manchester is a bit easier on the credit card,only problem is you might need to buy a van for all the stuff.

• Advertisement

Haha oh it does indeed and we even leaving the child at home incase they no room for he in the back haha.

Good stuff, heading over tomorrow evening myself, can't wait. Friday night football will be something different anyway. :) Would love to see us destroy them and keep up the momentum.

Cheshire Oaks just outside Manchester is a bit easier on the credit card,only problem is you might need to buy a van for all the stuff.

Thanks pal i might actually do that on Sunday on way home as we are going by Boath via Liverpool so might stop off for an hour or two to spend the last of the sterling ;)
    Good stuff, heading over tomorrow evening myself, can't wait. Friday night football will be something different anyway. :) Would love to see us destroy them and keep up the momentum.

Yeh it should be an excellent atmosphere I can't wait it's the first evening game I've been to since ruud destroyed sparta Prague 12 year ago.

Is platts still the best place to go for drinks before the game?

New rules for pressers mean none after 1.30pm on Fridays from now on.Watch as Jose sits down at exactly 1.29.

Same reason Rooney's performances from 3 years ago don't count for you.

Rooney is 31 in a couple of months and it shows. Hardly a like for like comparison. Was Rooney ripping it up in the 10 position 3 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I think at this rate we might need a separate thread just for Rooney debates :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I'd recommend the Blaze before the game but your wife won't appreciate it.

37533D3C00000578-3745009-image-a-1_1471434952273.jpg

3752CAF800000578-3745009-Manchester_United_boss_Jose_Mourinho_is_typically_animated_on_th-a-2_1471434952276.jpg

3752CA8A00000578-3745009-United_striker_Zlatan_Ibrahimovic_is_seen_performing_a_classic_o-a-6_1471434952299.jpg

Poga,Jose and Zlatan in familiar poses in the new FIFA trailer.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I think at this rate we might need a separate thread just for Rooney debates :pac:

I second this proposal! :D

Thanks pal i might actually do that on Sunday on way home as we are going by Boath via Liverpool so might stop off for an hour or two to spend the last of the sterling ;)

Yeh it should be an excellent atmosphere I can't wait it's the first evening game I've been to since ruud destroyed sparta Prague 12 year ago.

It's too late for this weekend but if you (or anyone else who goes to the UK the odd time) doesn't always than you need to get a revolut card. Brilliant for changing money to sterling and free cash withdrawals at UK atms.

New rules for pressers mean none after 1.30pm on Fridays from now on.Watch as Jose sits down at exactly 1.29.

In all seriousness now.. will he be on Thursday this week with the match being on Friday?

I second this proposal! :D

We've only a handful of posts in this thread before we get the new one so maybe we should dedicate them to positivity. Great United photos, gifs, videos, memories, optimism?

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I'd recommend the Blaze before the game but your wife won't appreciate it.

I'd say she would lol Mrs jayo26 enjoys a good atmosphere as anyone thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

United have bid €30mill for Fabinho in the last few hours according to Marca. Anything more reliable out?

astradave wrote: »
    In all seriousness now.. will he be on Thursday this week with the match being on Friday?

Turn on,tune in and find out.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I love the bishop blaize... Might be a cattle mart but when you only get over now and again like it kicks the pre match mood off instantly !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement