Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Have to say I think it's a bit unfair to point the finger or give out about deaddonkey15 defending Rooney, causing the thread to become overflown with the Rooney debate. I'm not going to get involved in the player debate but it takes at least two to tango. He's not here having a debate with himself.

You need two for a debate, but one can drop passive aggressive turds into a thread quite well on their own.

If you don't believe me just read this thread should Rooney score a goal tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Herrera fellaini out, pogba carrick in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »
    Herrera fellaini out, pogba carrick in

possible from a fitness building point of view, but I would reckon Fellaini has played himself into a starting spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

zerks wrote: »

Is the woman that asked the first question a United employee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

ElChe32 wrote: »
    If it's not Rooney it's wedding presents...I wonder what Wayne got for his wedding.

I've no idea but i'd say he passed it backwards and then there was a four day debate about it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Jayop wrote: »

No it was agent MarsBar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

jayo26 wrote: »
    Soo pogba gonna start tomorrow.... woooop

Jose saying he's ready to play 'some minutes' points to him being on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

ElChe32 wrote: »
    If it's not Rooney it's wedding presents...I wonder what Wayne got for his wedding.

According to google he asked his guest to donate to a hospice instead and they were too stingy with the donation :D:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Jose saying he's ready to play 'some minutes' points to him being on the bench.

he also pointed out players started vs Leicster with less fitness than Pogba has at this point. I reckon he could start with the plan being to take him off around 60-70mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I haven't seen it but sometimes I've noticed Mandy Henry asking questions. Is it the blonde Scottish sounding girl?

• Advertisement

I haven't seen it but sometimes I've noticed Mandy Henry asking questions. Is it the blonde Scottish sounding girl?

That's her Cookie! Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What a pointless 1st question. SHe must be on the payroll.

I mean ask about the team, feeling after the 1st game, players settling in, thoughts on how long his methods will take to gel etc

but, do you think you can make other teams fear us?" I mean, what is he going to say? "Well, not really. I mean were only human and sure we can try our best but its just another ground and we are just another team!"

Jebus!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

You need two for a debate, but one can drop passive aggressive turds into a thread quite well on their own.

If you don't believe me just read this thread should Rooney score a goal tomorrow.

And should Rooney make a mistake people will do the same. It's not a one way street in my view but that's just my opinion, everyone else can have theirs.

Anyway let's just leave it, I've no intention to be drawn into it.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What a pointless 1st question. SHe must be on the payroll.

I mean ask about the team, feeling after the 1st game, players settling in, thoughts on how long his methods will take to gel etc

but, do you think you can make other teams fear us?" I mean, what is he going to say? "Well, not really. I mean were only human and sure we can try our best but its just another ground and we are just another team!"

Jebus!

I think she had the first question last week as well, that's why I asked. Had a feeling I'd seen her on MUTV before so given her twitter says she's a freelancer who works sometimes for MUTV I'm going to assume this is one of those times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Well she does work for MUTV.........and sports journalism is 90% manufactured anyway so fairly run of the mill Q&A.

You have to remember that the clubs control who gets to come to press conferences, matches etc. and if you attempt to rock the boat you're left outside. Then remember that this person's livelihood depends on them being able to write three inches about United no matter what the story because "x" team news sells to "x's" supporters and the minute they can't do that they lose their job.

Plus it's not as if there's a load of super secretive hush hush stories to be investigated when it comes to how Manchester United will lineup so there's actually not a whole lot more to be asked anyway :)

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Well she does work for MUTV.........and sports journalism is 90% manufactured anyway so fairly run of the mill Q&A.

You have to remember that the clubs control who gets to come to press conferences, matches etc. and if you attempt to rock the boat you're left outside. Then remember that this person's livelihood depends on them being able to right three inches about United no matter what the story because "x" team news sells to "x's" supporters and the minute they can't do that they lose their job.

Plus it's not as if there's a load of super secretive hush hush stories to be investigated when it comes to how Manchester United will lineup so there's actually not a whole lot more to be asked anyway :)

Aye, the only interesting parts of that presser were that Pogba will play some of the game and that Jose doesn't care about being linked with Fonte. The rest was meaningless platitudes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Aye, the only interesting parts of that presser were that Pogba will play some of the game and that Jose doesn't care about being linked with Fonte. The rest was meaningless platitudes.

Press conference will only mean something when we get down to the nitty gritty end of season and try to get reaction from players or opposition in my opinion anything else is just to fulfill obligations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    Is everyone expecting Pogba to start tomorrow night? Id be surprised if he started.

I`d guess that the same team that started against Bournemouth will start with Pogba getting a run in the second half.

Dont see Smalling or Lingard starting either(althoug I would possibly have them both in the team, certainly Smalling).

I'd imagine introduction around the 70 minute mark to rapturous applause. Replacing Fellaini, so he can have a little confidence boost from supportive applause. (Assume after Mourinho made those comments about Fellaini, home fans will react positively).

That is all assuming that by 70mins the game is comfortably won, or just comfortable.

Ideally don't want his introduction being born out of necessity to get points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

This is why people react to you - passive aggressive shots like this.

It's true though. Please post examples of my other passive aggressive posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Any transcripts going from the press conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Jose has reset my opinion of all players.

It's a clean slate from here. Tony V, being prime example.

I see the Liverpool game is on Sky in Ireland at 3pm on Saturday. Some nice games on Saturday on TV but pure crap on Sunday so I might change my plans around. Was panning to bring the kids to the pool so Sunday seems a better day for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

possible from a fitness building point of view, but I would reckon Fellaini has played himself into a starting spot.

Yea but when you have a world record signing waiting in the wings someone is going to lose out. Pogba will start tomorrow and play around 70m I would imagine

bangkok wrote: »
    Yea but when you have a world record signing waiting in the wings someone is going to lose out. Pogba will start tomorrow and play around 70m I would imagine

I think we'll either start like this..

1494565_Manchester_United.jpg

Possibly Mata or Mkhitaryan in for Lingard and Blind to keep his place. Apart from that I can't see any changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

I see the Liverpool game is on Sky in Ireland at 3pm on Saturday. Some nice games on Saturday on TV but pure crap on Sunday so I might change my plans around. Was panning to bring the kids to the pool so Sunday seems a better day for that.

Those times are placeholders. There is no way they will allow a game of that stature on a Saturday in the middle of the day. There would be pandemonium.

• Advertisement

statto25 wrote: »
    Those times are placeholders. There is no way they will allow a game of that stature on a Saturday in the middle of the day. There would be pandemonium.

No, I mean the Liverpool game this weekend against Burnley. Our first game against Liverpool is on a Monday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Who do people consider to be the best United related journalist? Outside of James Ducker and Andy Mitten I don't find many interesting United related articles. Any recommendations?

glued wrote: »
    Who do people consider to be the best United related journalist? Outside of James Ducker and Andy Mitten I don't find many interesting United related articles. Any recommendations?

Ogden used to be good. Not so sure he has the contacts anymore that he had a few years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

TheDoc wrote: »
    Any transcripts going from the press conference?

Ask and you shall receive :)
    Interviewer: Jose, a lot of opposition players have said in recent years that Old Trafford had lost its fear factor, and you come to Old Trafford with your superb home league record with your previous clubs. Can you bring that fear factor back?

Jose: Not me. Not me. The team, yes. And the fans too. And I think everything starts there. The relation between the team and the fans. If at Old Trafford, a couple of thousand away opponents can be more supportive and more noisy than 70-something thousand, then we are in trouble. And means that there is no connection between the team and the supporters. If there is connection, I think that factor of being really strong at home has to come back. But I think everything starts on that relation between the team and the fans – the way the team plays, the way the team behaves, the model of play – but that includes a lot – their mental approach. If the fans, they feel that connection, they want to also play, and if the fans play, no chance for opponent.

Interviewer: Jose, how’s Paul Pogba settled, and how ready is he? Will he start this weekend?

Jose: Look, we played with some players against Leicester with less training than Paul. We had guys coming back from the Euro and the holidays, one week of training, and they play against Leicester – not in the top of their game. Not ready for 90 minutes, but they play and they perform, and it was a good way for them to accelerate their process because in this moment, they are building a process of their form. Paul is training for more than a week, around 10/11 days. The adaptation is really easy because he’s a boy from here, he knows the club, he knows everybody. No need of time to adapt, need time to build his condition and build his understanding of the way the team plays or tries to play. So, I think, yes, he’s ready to play. 90 minutes, I don’t believe. Super performance, I don’t believe. But in conditions to accelerate his process of integration into the team, that’s for sure.

Interviewer: Jose, whereabouts do you see him playing? The way you’ve set up your side in the first two games, do you think he fits into that, or do you have to change the way you’ve been playing slightly?

Jose: Sometimes even without you noticing, we change details. So, if you are expecting us to change dramatically the system to fit the player, we are not going to do that. We are not going to play with 5 in the back because in Juventus, he was playing with 5 in the back, and he played there for many years in that system – we are not going to do that. So, we are not going for dramatic changes. But there are details in the game where, yes, we have to change details. Against Leicester, played Michael Carrick, against Bournemouth, played Ander Herrera – they are different players, and because they are different players, we change the way they play. We change the way Fellaini plays, because Fellaini was the one playing with them. So, when we play with Schneiderlin or with Pogba or with the guys that we have, there are always going to be details that are going to be changed. But not the master lines of our model of play.

Interviewer: You mentioned on Sunday as well that Zlatan, you considered him being an important player for 2 years at Manchester United. When he originally signed, it was 1 year and an option. You don’t think that it’s even a doubt that he will be here in 2 years?

Jose: No. Because, I see him happy. I ask everyday because I know how important he is – the family guy that he is – I ask him everyday about his wife, kids, integration, house, everything is fine. Everybody’s happy. His motivation is really high, so yes, I see him here – no doubts for the next two years, no doubt.

Interviewer: Jose, Eric Bailly seems very happy as well. The fans have taken to him. Are you surprised with the speed with which he has adapted, and the way in which he has performed?

Jose: I am surprised with such a strong personality, you know. Young boy, playing in a completely different competition, in a club without the same ambitions, expectation, pressure as Man United. Comes here, the first match, Wembley, first match of the season, away – comfortable, stable, leading, communication. Doesn’t speak good English, but lots of people around him, they speak French and Spanish. So, he’s even comfortable on communication. David is Spanish, Valencia speaks Spanish, Herrera speaks Spanish, Zlatan speaks French, so very comfortable at the communication level. So yes, surprised me a little bit, surprised me a little bit.

Interviewer: Jose, obviously, Southampton have come into this as well with the link with Jose Fonte. If you were in this, how would you feel ahead of a big game – one of your players linked with the opposition?

Jose: I don’t comment, I don’t care. I don’t care.

Interviewer: Are you still looking to do business before the end of this transfer window?

Jose: The market is open till the 31st of August, but I keep saying that I am very happy with the players I have and I keep saying that I don’t speak about players from other clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Ogden used to be good. Not so sure he has the contacts anymore that he had a few years ago though.

I stopped taking Ogden serious after he became a mouthpiece for a few former and current players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Bailly, as Jose said, is showing good leadership qualities. In his united appearances so far you could see him talking a lot and pointing in certain directions helping somebody on the ball find a free teammate etc.

Great to see in a new and young player. United have lacked leaders in recent years so hopefully this continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Don't know if it has been mentioned but a lot of places seem to think Johnstone might be on his way out. I reckon if he does it might be permanent, he only has a year left on his current contract.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfer-news-johnstone-11755028

I have always liked him but with David and Sergio he won't really get the chance for any game time unless an injury. Pity had hopes for him and he's shown some promising performances with Preston, albeit mostly in League One. Can see him making a bit of a name elsewhere for himself if he does leave.

2 good keepers is all you need. A keeper with a youth squad can deputise at 3rd.

As back as it is to be a second choice keeper it must be an awful way to spend your career as 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

2 good keepers is all you need. A keeper with a youth squad can deputise at 3rd.

As back as it is to be a second choice keeper it must be an awful way to spend your career as 3rd.

Like Richard Wright in later half of his career. I'm sure the oil money at City compensated him but seems an awful waste of a playing career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

No, I mean the Liverpool game this weekend against Burnley. Our first game against Liverpool is on a Monday night.

Ah apologies Jayop. I thought you were on about the game in Jan. My bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Bailly, as Jose said, is showing good leadership qualities. In his united appearances so far you could see him talking a lot and pointing in certain directions helping somebody on the ball find a free teammate etc.

Great to see in a new and young player. United have lacked leaders in recent years so hopefully this continues.
    haven't noticed it myself but I mustn't have been paying enough attention. Hope you're right though, because we have badly lacked that since Ferdinand was around.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/manutdupdates_/status/766354570406563844

Rachel Riley, Jeff Stelling and Sky Sports do a tribute to Zlatan Ibrahimovic as they prepare for Friday night football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/manutdupdates_/status/766354570406563844

Rachel Riley, Jeff Stelling and Sky Sports do a tribute to Zlatan Ibrahimovic as they prepare for Friday night football.

Did they use Southampton jerseys to make that too? Lol that's a bit cheeky

But it's Rachel so alls forgiven.

I love her

Love her

x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Once Moyes was sacked there isn't anyone reliable for ManUtd transfer news. If you are looking for interesting piece on the club then Mitten and Daniel Taylor writes good articles, if it's about tactics then don't bother. There aren't anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Happy Pogba day you fcukers!!!!!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

:p New Thread please.

Today will be Old Trafford resurrection day

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Duncan Castles articles on United are now something to keep an eye on.........he has very close ties to Mendes\Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Duncan Castles articles on United are now something to keep an eye on.........he has very close ties to Mendes\Mourinho.

Yep he went from being a troll, to reliable.

• Have to say after seeing Pogbas interviews he's a down-to-earth kind of dude.
    Exciting times ahead.
    So Jealous of the lads in here heading over, Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

0-1 to Southampton. The Jose bubble to be broken and we can finally get back to reality that making up for the disaster that was LVG and the ineptitude of Moyes will take a bit of time.

In difference with LVG though, we will actually play decent and create some chances, just still be rusty to the new system and players still finding their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

brinty wrote: »
    are picture frames the new crystal....
    Ms Brinty was unpacking last night and the amount of crap crystal we got as moving in (to our first house not this one) and wedding presents was crazy...

why can't people just stick €200 in a card!!!

Go post that in the weddings forum ;-) I dare ya!

It'll make the Rooney/Nani/Welbeck debates seem tame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Polo_Mint wrote:
    Today will be Old Trafford resurrection day

They should rename it New Trafford :D - the new glorious era begins today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Leroy42 wrote:
    0-1 to Southampton. The Jose bubble to be broken and we can finally get back to reality that making up for the disaster that was LVG and the ineptitude of Moyes will take a bit of time.

Leroy42 wrote:
    In difference with LVG though, we will actually play decent and create some chances, just still be rusty to the new system and players still finding their feet.

Jaysus you're great craic :D

• Leroy42 wrote: »

55714881.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Time to bring the fear factor back to OT tonight

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement