Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

2nd in the Turkish league to 12th in La Liga.

I'm failing to see much / any difference tbh.

Arguably today's Valencia is a step down considering no European football.

Valencia is a massive club, huge fan base, fantastic city and stadium.

Liverpool have no European football and are still a big draw, Chelsea the same, even we dont have Champions league footbaall and can still sign the big players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Today I learned that the Turkish League is a higher standard than La Liga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What are you even on about? What did Moyes agree with him? How is scoring 15 goals with 10 assists and then moving to a bigger club in a bigger league evidence that he failed in Turkey?

Nani signed a new contract in late 2013 (when Moyes was in charge) for over £100k per week.

The Turkish league is very poor.

Valencia finished 12th last season, not exactly contenders.

• Nani signed a new contract in late 2013 (when Moyes was in charge) for over £100k per week.

Think that was more down to Gary Neville than the actually ability of the squad. There is a good squad available for Valencia.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Nani signed a new contract in late 2013 (when Moyes was in charge) for over £100k per week.

Valencia are a regular top 3 La Liga team in the past 10 years and probably the 4th best overall of all time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nani was on 90k a week under Fergie, hardly an outrageous raise considering what the club were starting to pay people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just to close off what I said.

I don't believe there is much of a difference between top of the Turkish league and mid table in La Liga.

I did not say Fener are bigger than Valencia, I said you could argue that they are.

Some of you disagree, grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just to close off what I said.

I don't believe there is much of a difference between top of the Turkish league and mid table in La Liga.

I did not say Fener are bigger than Valencia, I said you could argue that they are.

Some of you disagree, grand.

But you have to look at the leagues as much as the teams. No one does well at say West Ham or Everton or even Sunderland and gets snapped up by PSV. Even though the top of the Dutch league would manage to finish probably around (west Ham) or above (Sunderland) if they were in the English league. It's about playing against better teams as much as being at one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am sure Nani is happy to be leaving Turkey given the deteriorating security situation with terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Wigan away on 16th July been added to pre season.

2dbwl83.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

jayo26 wrote: »

That's random, I assume it be on MUTV? You know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Arsenal are really obsessed with word obsessed and think everything is about them.

He had a pop. Don't really mind but it's foolish to suggest this is due to some sort of paranoid interpretation by Arsenal.

Just read through this thread. The vast majority of Utd fans here saw it as a dig too.

Wenger makes Mourinho go all insecure. I have absolutely no idea why but he does.

That's random, I assume it be on MUTV? You know?

Haven't seen anything yet but I'd imagine so.

It will be mostly for players that have been back to pre season this week I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

gosplan wrote: »
    He had a pop. Don't really mind but it's foolish to suggest this is due to some sort of paranoid interpretation by Arsenal.

Just read through this thread. The vast majority of Utd fans here saw it as a dig too.

Wenger makes Mourinho go all insecure. I have absolutely no idea why but he does.

I don't think it's insecurity. He just doesn't like Wenger .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Wenger makes Mourinho insecure? Maybe in gooners world.

Btw, Arsenal fans have selective memory though. They forget all the things Wenger said about Chelsea and Jose during his first time in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Wenger has never beaten Mourinho in a competitive game, i doubt its insecurity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

On another note I can't wait to see Shaw back in action, we were flying last season until he got injured. Guy has genuine world class potential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Enjoyed that Presser.

Big things that I took from it.

1) Three transfers wrapped up, 1 more looking like happening soon.
    2) No more square pegs in round holes, or even pegs that can switch between square and round. ****ing round pegs for round holes or **** off,.
    3) Players will be leaving after he finalises his 4th purchase. Look like he wants to have a look at everyone.
    4) Rooney will never play in midfield for Mourinho. I got that one very wrong.
    5) Bollocks about 4th being a success is gone out the window. Aim to win, anything less is a failure.
    6) Gigg's wasn't ran from the club, he walked.
    7) Lovely overt dig at Wenger, more sly one at Pep, very overt one at LVG and Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Wenger makes Mourinho insecure? Maybe in gooners world.

Btw, Arsenal fans have selective memory though. They forget all the things Wenger said about Chelsea and Jose during his first time in England.

I don't think Wenger makes him insecure so much as Wenger is frequently a target of his paranoid delusions.

We all know what he's like, there's probably no need to defend him over thinly veiled swipes that he probably hopes we're all tickled pink about.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Enjoyed that Presser.

Big things that I took from it.

1) Three transfers wrapped up, 1 more looking like happening soon.
    2) No more square pegs in round holes, or even pegs that can switch between square and round. ****ing round pegs for round holes or **** off,.
    3) Players will be leaving after he finalises his 4th purchase. Look like he wants to have a look at everyone.
    4) Rooney will never play in midfield for Mourinho. I got that one very wrong.
    5) Bollocks about 4th being a success is gone out the window. Aim to win, anything less is a failure.
    6) Gigg's wasn't ran from the club, he walked.
    7) Lovely overt dig at Wenger, more sly one at Pep, very overt one at LVG and Moyes.

I haven't seen the presser yet but this seems like it also could be a dig at Chelsea? If he said he wants to move on from the past etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Guys, I was acting the dick earlier and I got myself a yellow card. I should have reigned it in and watched my language. It looks like I annoyed a few people, and really offended at least one person.

For the record, I think Mourinho is an outstanding manager and of course I'm excited about what lies ahead. It's been a very difficult few years. It's expensive enough travelling over and back without almost guaranteed disappointment in one way or another.

So I suspect he's the right man for the job in football terms, but we all know his faults and I'm just dreading what could possibly happen if he loses the run of himself, as he has a habit of doing. So I personally have a strong dislike of him, and there are certain people on here that make my teeth itch in the way that they gloss over or ignore his faults. Plus, I genuinely feel/felt that United were 'different' in one way or another, so it frustrates me to see so many hired guns being brought it at such a wild cost, but I guess that's a result of my own naivety. That's just where the game is today.

Anyway, I could have expressed all of that frustration without petty name-calling and just generally creating a bad vibe, so my sincerest apologies.

I haven't seen the presser yet but this seems like it also could be a dig at Chelsea? If he said he wants to move on from the past etc etc

Nah he spoke pretty highly of Chelsea so I don't think he was having a pop at them.

Wenger was obvious, manager who didn't win the title in 10 years.
    LVG/Moyes was obvious, the last three years were brutal at United.
    Pep was unclear, asked about renewing rivalry with him and kinda insinuated he was inconsequential.

I could be reading too much into the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Sweet, only 11 days until the first run out

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Guys, I was acting the dick earlier and I got myself a yellow card. I should have reigned it in and watched my language. It looks like I annoyed a few people, and really offended at least one person.

For the record, I think Mourinho is an outstanding manager and of course I'm excited about what lies ahead. It's been a very difficult few years. It's expensive enough travelling over and back without almost guaranteed disappointment in one way or another.

So I suspect he's the right man for the job in football terms, but we all know his faults and I'm just dreading what could possibly happen if he loses the run of himself, as he has a habit of doing. So I personally have a strong dislike of him, and there are certain people on here that make my teeth itch in the way that they gloss over or ignore his faults. Plus, I genuinely feel/felt that United were 'different' in one way or another, so it frustrates me to see so many hired guns being brought it at such a wild cost, but I guess that's a result of my own naivety. That's just where the game is today.

Anyway, I could have expressed all of that frustration without petty name-calling and just generally creating a bad vibe, so my sincerest apologies.

Fair play.

Look, I didn't like Mourinho either, always thought he was a twat. That said, he was a succesful opposition manager who purposely rubs people up the wrong way. Ask any oppo fan for their thoughts on Fergie and it'll be pretty much like what you think of Jose.

The only thing to do for the likes of me and you is to accept that he's now our dislikable figure and he's one who you feel has had eyes on this job for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

United back in action next week... Well that's pretty cool anyway. The euros are great for making the off season fly by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

bangkok wrote: »
    Wenger has never beaten Mourinho in a competitive game, i doubt its insecurity

Like I said I have no idea why.

But if you consistently feel the need to point out that you are better than someone, then it's fair enough to judge that for some reason Wenger rings that out in him, i.e. Makes him feel insecure.

Like I said, I have no idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

But if you consistently feel the need to point out that you are better than someone, then it's fair enough to judge that for some reason Wenger rings that out in him, i.e. Makes him feel insecure.

Just because you dont like someone, doesnt make you insecure.

Wenger doesnt like Jose, Jose doesnt like Wenger. its that simple.

Jose likes to beat Wenger with the blunt end of the stick because he has the ammo. Wenger has no ammo.

Im indifferent about Jose's issues with Wenger. When/If Arsenal win the league then Wenger can grab the **** stick to be jose with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Again, I doubt it's insecurity maybe he just has a strong dislike for Wenger. Possibly because of something that happened or was said outside of the public eye and glare of the cameras. It was hardly the most bruising or personal shot across the bow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

For what little it's worth, I share your antipathy for Mourinho as manager of Utd. I'm not happy about it, I think it's a clear mercenary decision, and it inspires me with little confidence that I will like the way the club will win in the coming years.

But I do think the club will win in the coming years. That seems to be enough for most people.

You did go OTT with the personal insults. Fair play for acknowledging it and apologising. Mourinho has many flaws, but let's not take things too far.

All in all, what happens ahead will likely be interesting, but I don't think I'm going to admire an awful lot of it.

Fair play for the response well said.

You didn't offend me believe it or not it takes a lot more then that to offend me but in the same way that you were irate with mourinho for making digs at other managers I get irate when I see someone making personal name calling over something you disagree with.

Nothing personal against you we have had some good interactions and i have enjoyed your posts in the past and will do in the future.

In regards of mourinhos faults I think a few here including myself were sceptical about getting mourinho a few months ago but when you weigh up where the club was after moyes and lvg and where we want to be and get back to well then there is only one person that gives us the best possible chance.

With mourinho there is no disillusioned idea of us getting one of the best managers In the world it's not a Mit it is a fact his record speaks for itself and yes he has faults lots of them but so do every top manager.

People would have you believe pep is the nicest manager in the world he is far from it he has alot of former players that are enemy's he has former staff that he blamed for injuries and results when they weren't going right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

For what little it's worth, I share your antipathy for Mourinho as manager of Utd. I'm not happy about it, I think it's a clear mercenary decision, and it inspires me with little confidence that I will like the way the club will win in the coming years.

But I do think the club will win in the coming years. That seems to be enough for most people.

You did go OTT with the personal insults. Fair play for acknowledging it and apologising. Mourinho has many flaws, but let's not take things too far.

All in all, what happens ahead will likely be interesting, but I don't think I'm going to admire an awful lot of it.

Jaysus, people complaining about Mourinho now. Oh sure we should have picked one of those other 17 top class managers out there right now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Is 'presser' a young peoples' word, and am I the only one feeling slightly embarrassed every time I read it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

Who is this 4th transfer target Mourinho has in mind. Is it Pogba and what are the chances of him coming to United? Personally I can only see him signing for Real Madrid and the link to Matuidi is that he is 2nd choice. The 4th target could also be that Mexican chap we are linked with

• billyhead wrote: »
    Who is this 4th transfer target Mourinho has in mind. Is it Pogba and what are the chances of him coming to United? Personally I can only see him signing for Real Madrid and the link to Matuidi is that he is 2nd choice. The 4th target could also be that Mexican chap we are linked with

Has to be a CM

Matuidi or Pogba even tho I think we need both

Is 'presser' a young peoples' word, and am I the only one feeling slightly embarrassed every time I read it?

Well I'm 35 and I don't mind it so I suppose it is a young persons word :)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

More like an Irish word, like how a taxi is called a Joer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Good vibes coming from that press conference (I'm not a young scamp)
    I said it would take time for me to get fully on board with Jose but that's as good a start as I could have hoped for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That's the Pale and only the Pale thanks be to Jesus

Quicker to type than press conference...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Don't quite understand the people who think Mourinho is planning on benching Rooney a lot this season, I see it as the complete opposite.

Mourinho has always been a fan of Rooney and even tried to bring him to Chelsea only 2-3 seasons ago so I imagine his plans involve Rooney heavily. I'm looking forward to see how this season turns out and hopefully Mourinho builds a good system that allows Zlatan and Rooney to reap the rewards. It's still weird thinking Zlatan is on our team :P

I , like I'm sure others too, have had some doubts about Mourinho coming in but his record speaks for itself and so far everything has been going to plan quite nicely it would seem. I can't wait to see them get on the pitch and play. First match cant come soon enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Never heard that word ever in my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

A what??? Is that some kind of bastardised version of a joe maxi???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Never heard that word ever in my life

Joer sounds more Dutch to be than Irish :P

billyhead wrote: »

Marca in Spain are claiming that Real Madrid have turned their attention to Andre Gomes, instead of Pogba as he is too costly for them, and Perez is not a fan.
    The wages Pogba wants would make him the third highest paid at Real Madrid and Real Madrid are said to not to want to go there as it would create issues with other players.
    The fee for Pogba is also an issue for Madrid. They along with 4 other clubs have to repay money back to the state.
    If Pogba leaves Juventus, United is the more likely destination as Real Madrid are not in a position to compete with United in a bidding war.
    The Spanish papers are not strong with Pogba to Real Madrid and if anything have cooled in recent times.
    French sport paper L'equipe say that Pogba always planned on returning to United as part of his career plan.
    Mino Raiola is said to want Pogba to move to United.
    Pogba last year said he loves the club.

I think Pogba would like the idea of returning like a saviour to the club, as everything points to much better times ahead.

Doubt it. I just used it (probably where you read it on the last page) and I'm certainly no spring chicken any more.
    Well I'm 35 and I don't mind it so I suppose it is a young persons word :)

Feck me, we really are just one person. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Jaysus, people complaining about Mourinho now. Oh sure we should have picked one of those other 17 top class managers out there right now :rolleyes:

I've complained about him for a long time. I'm very disappointed he's the Utd manager. You can have a different opinion than me, I'm fine with that, but I don't like him at all. There's no crime in that, so roll your eyes all you like, it literally has no effect on my opinion.

Jayop wrote: »
    Doubt it. I just used it (probably where you read it on the last page) and I'm certainly no spring chicken any more.

Feck me, we really are just one person. :eek:

That's canny ..... what team do you support? I support manChester united

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Pierre Menes (Canal+ & a good PSG source) is saying that Matuidi is talking to us and Bayern. Another couple of French reporters are saying the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Jose spoke about Bailly saying he's fast, strong and technical. Needs to be tested when it comes to playing for a huge club.

On Zlatan - he's Zlatan. Perfect age to partner Rashford.

• Advertisement

Jose on MUTV kind of indicated that Zlatan and Rashford will play together, that neither are an ideal age but together they are.

Barcelona fans might not be happy, Ibrahimovic playing at the biggest club in his career.

Jose not sure if Bailly is ready to play for United as there is a question mark, but Jose said it is his job to remove the question mark.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement