Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

glued wrote: »
    Pierre Menes (Canal+ & a good PSG source) is saying that Matuidi is talking to us and Bayern. Another couple of French reporters are saying the same.

Hope people realise that Matuidi is 29 years of age!.....not exactly an investment for the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Didn't last too long in Turkey.

Proof we were right to get rid.

Re Jose's presser and the perceived dig at LVG.

Much ado about nothing IMO.

He just said that he isn't tied a philosophy or some rigid ideology.

Hardly a massive slight against LVG.

Most of us were bemoaning the bloody philosophy for the last 12 months!

He didn't last it turkey ?

He's clearly made an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hope people realise that Matuidi is 29 years of age!.....not exactly an investment for the long term.

Maybe we will have an all French midfield???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Poor Sammy McIlroy thought Mickey was already in the bag :D

Soon Sammy...Sooooon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Loving David May at the moment, seems like a real fan of the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Read the cliff notes to Jose's first press conference as United boss, the air of confidence and cockiness is slowly being breathed back into the club after 3 rough years under Moyes & LVG..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Read the cliff notes to Jose's first press conference as United boss, the air of confidence and cockiness is slowly being breathed back into the club after 3 rough years under Moyes & LVG..

Yeah and in all seriousness I think the FA cup win will give the place a big boost this coming season too. That confidence that we can still win big trophies from the younger players with Jose who has won it all in charge is great.

• Hope people realise that Matuidi is 29 years of age!.....not exactly an investment for the long term.

Ibra is 34

29 is prime, 3 good years at the top of his game easily

It was interesting Jose saying he worked at other clubs, but people working at the club were fans of other clubs, while at United it is different, the workers are themselves fans of the club and a lot have worked for a long time at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Can I just point out that people were saying the same things about LVG two years ago?

You remember him, the really exciting, world class manager with the long and distinguished career that had just led the Netherlands to an impressive world cup, had reinvented Dutch Total Football, had turned Schweini from a decent winger to a monster centre mid, who had won almost everything, everywhere... He arrived with an arrogance about him most people loved.

Turned out to be rubbish with Utd.

Now, I don't think Mourinho won't win. I think his failure will be far more in keeping with his career thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    I don't think it's insecurity. He just doesn't like Wenger .

I think he can't understand the respect wenger gets in England yet he doesn't.

Maybe a bit of envy in that sense.

Can I just point out that people were saying the same things about LVG two years ago?

You remember him, the really exciting, world class manager with the long and distinguished career that had just led the Netherlands to an impressive world cup, had reinvented Dutch Total Football, had turned Schweini from a decent winger to a monster centre mid, who had won almost everything, everywhere... He arrived with an arrogance about him most people loved.

Now, I don't think Mourinho won't win. I think his failure will be far more in keeping with his career thus far.

Jose didn't have the freedom at Chelsea and Real Madrid as he does have at United.
    With both of those previous clubs there were others bringing in players they liked whether it was Perez or Abramovich.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Jayop wrote: »
    Yeah and in all seriousness I think the FA cup win will give the place a big boost this coming season too. That confidence that we can still win big trophies from the younger players with Jose who has won it all in charge is great.

That F.A Cup win (in my eyes anyways), I saw it as a stepping stone back to the top, and now that the club have a proven winner in José in charge, and the business being done early, and the solid enough squad, the foundation is there for a great season & for José to build a dynasty at United (hoping he stays beyond the 3 years)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol this fella ringing into MUTV is off his head lol

David May so happy that people will hate United more.

Headshot wrote: »
    lol this fella ringing into MUTV is off his head lol

It was worst yesterday on the Paddy Crerand show, so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

David May "We will be even more hated now and i love it"

Hope MUTV have May doing commentary this season, he is a joy to listen to commentating on games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I haven't been Mourinho's biggest fan to take over myself and I know everyones entitled to their opinion and all that, but seriously that sort of mentality is just downright wrong.

Yes, Mourinho and LVG both show arrogance in interviews and have impressive CVs but to use LVGs reign as some sort of warning to people due to this fact is just ridiculous. By that logic let's hire some guy with a losing record and crippling self doubt problems and win the league.

Also the preseason hasn't even started and you're predicting his failure? Sounds like you're not going into this season with an open mind about him at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Love maysie he is great crack and so honest.

Jose said ibra and Marcus were our two strikers which is great to hear Marcus will learn loads and should get plenty of time.

Also means that rooney is gonna be a number 10 or bust which is good too.

Jose talking about his philosophy.

• Advertisement

Game against Wigan July 16tth 1.30pm on MUTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

lol this ITK caller.

I thought there was a fly in my room but it was in the MUTV studio

May killed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

So that's what bangkok sounds like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

gosplan wrote: »
    He had a pop. Don't really mind but it's foolish to suggest this is due to some sort of paranoid interpretation by Arsenal.

Just read through this thread. The vast majority of Utd fans here saw it as a dig too.

Wenger makes Mourinho go all insecure. I have absolutely no idea why but he does.

The vast majority of United think / have thought a lot of things.

Last week Rooney was nailed onto to be a midfielder this season if you believe regulars on this thread.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Game against Wigan July 16tth 1.30pm on MUTV.

Chance to see how two former reds James and Kellett are getting on, also Will Griggs testing our defence :P

Mourinho said of the game
    "The first game against Wigan is very important as I am going to have some players I don’t know very well who I am bringing into the first team. I don’t know them well but I just trust Nicky Butt [Head of Academy] and John Murtough [Head of Football Development] and the youth structure’s judgement."Obviously I am going to work closely with them and I’m going to have to trust them when they say we have a few players who, in a couple of years, can be first-team players. It’s important to know them and give them the opportunity to work."

So it's very much going to be the young lads out there fighting for place on the first team, be interesting to see which lads get brought.

Might be some truth that United want Matuidi.
    https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/750395009388666880

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think Derek was drunk. Upsie daisy maysie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Don't think we be done with just 4 players either, reckon we could sign couple more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Don't think we be done with just 4 players either, reckon we could sign couple more

Well i think it was implied in the Press conference that any outgoing player would need to be replaced.. so you are probably right there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Chance to see how two former reds James and Kellett are getting on, also Will Griggs testing our defence :P

Mourinho said of the game

So it's very much going to be the young lads out there fighting for place on the first team, be interesting to see if which lads get brought.

I think that's wishful thinking though which all fan bases are guilty of.

On the LVG thing, I think the same wishful thinking overrated him here, saw past successes with big clubs and ignored the fact that they were a fair bit in the past. LVG was called 'world-class' in here when he clearly wasn't anymore. Jose though is thoroughly world class. He's one of if not the best managers in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Who's going to be a mate for that MUTV interview?

gosplan wrote: »
    I think that's wishful thinking though which all fan bases are guilty of.

On the LVG thing, I think the same wishful thinking overrated him here, saw past successes with big clubs and ignored the fact that they were a fair bit in the past. LVG was called 'world-class' in here when he clearly wasn't anymore. Jose though is thoroughly world class. He's one of if not the best managers in the world.

Hardly that much wishful thinking to hope to see some of the younger lads given a run out against Wigan in a preseason friendly :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

That guy on Mutv claiming the Matuidi deal is nearly done may have sounded like a Twitter agent but the reaction or lack of reaction from the lads in the studio was interesting. Its like they dodged it but there was a joke about a fly in the studio at the time so not sure if they were just distracted.

Personally I'm crossing my fingers that we don't get Matuidi. Think its a waste of money considering what we already have. He's meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

TheDoc wrote: »
    Who's going to be a mate for that MUTV interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Sod it, let's get Pogba, not like it's our money they're spending, will recoup a chunk of it on sponsorship and shirt sales and would put us back where we belong, the biggest and most hated club in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Surprised so many wouldn't want Matuidi, always thought he looked good whenever I've seen PSG. And for €25m too, seems like a good deal to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jose wrote:
    Yes, we want to play differently than last season. Mr van Gaal is an absolute top manager and his philosophy is very clear. My philosophy is different. It's not better, it's different. My football is different. I am more vertical, I am more intense and I like the ball possession as a way to create a chance to be vertical. I don’t like ball possession as a way to just keep statistically possession of the ball and be afraid to play a game with transitions. Transitions always come during a game. I’m not afraid to lose the ball, I’m not afraid of risk.

The last line is the main thing for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

xtal191 wrote: »
    Surprised so many wouldn't want Matuidi, always thought he looked good whenever I've seen PSG. And for €25m too, seems like a good deal to me.

He'll go to Bayern... Don't do it to your self!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

TheTownie wrote: »

Love it.

Absolutely love it.

You can just feel how proud he is to finally be at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Jose playing the crowd with the 'we' but I do like that he wants players to have a specific function rather than be a Jack of all trades.

There's something to be said for players that can play more than one role but that shouldn't be their primary benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Jose playing the crowd with the 'we' but I do like that he wants players to have a specific function rather than be a Jack of all trades.

There's something to be said for players that can play more than one role but that shouldn't be their primary benefit.

As he said, you need a new multi-functional players in the squad, but only a few. Look at Fergie's great teams. The vast majority of the first team squad at any given time had a specific role in the team week in and week out with a few players like JoS who would be able to fill in several positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Jayop wrote: »
    As he said, you need a new multi-functional players in the squad, but only a few. Look at Fergie's great teams. The vast majority of the first team squad at any given time had a specific role in the team week in and week out with a few players like JoS who would be able to fill in several positions.

I was agreeing with him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Ha random dude on twitter says he bumped into Woody and Mickey Ryan in a hotel in Monaco. Seems to be legit photo. Not that there was any doubt about the deal.

https://twitter.com/ASHLEY_WOODHEAD/status/750399205399756800
    Randomly just met Ed Woodward and Henrikh Mkhitaryan in our hotel lobby, He said the deal is done lads!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

TheTownie wrote:
    Ha random dude on twitter says he bumped into Woody and Mickey Ryan in a hotel in Monaco. Seems to be legit photo. Not that there was any doubt about the deal.

I chat with him quite a bit on twitter. Say it's def legit. Apparantly that's where Raiolas office is located. Hopefully making progress on Pogba too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Jose :D

The man has a plan and intends to get things done. Very happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Mkhitaryan would want to hurry up. Jeez.

We are then down to 1 more player. So underwhelmed if that is Matuidi. It needs to be Pogba or someone somewhat in the superstar bracket. Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'd love Kroos too

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement