Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pogba is from Paris, and is playing in Paris tonight.

Just saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just saying

Actually surprised psg haven't been more linked to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Real Madrid and Barcelona move over...United might be about to smash the record for a transfer fee.

https://twitter.com/skysportsnewshq/status/751024671232028672

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

PogbON

Just saying

Father says his son needs to play in a better league. PSG would be a downgrade in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The first 2 letters of Pogba and positivity train are exactly the same.

Hardly a coincidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Whatever happens, it will reflect badly on United for most of our "friends"

LOL at Madrid yanking him from under your feet

Or

United ruining football with obscene fees.

My money is on the first one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,207 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Just saying

He is playing in Marseille tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Whatever happens, it will reflect badly on United for most of our "friends"

LOL at Madrid yanking him from under your feet

Or

United ruining football with obscene fees.

My money is on the first one...

Thing is, we generate the revenue to easily justify such fees, unlike anybody else, except perhaps Real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

"In talks with Juventus..." is far, far away from Pogba holding up a United scarf at Old Trafford.

Even if he is 110% going to Real, of course Juventus are going to open talks with Utd in order to maximise the transfer fee.

Like when we were buying Ronaldo back. Or buying Bale. Or Neymar. When agents/players/clubs need someone with a load of money to up the ante or get them better contract terms, there is one club they call.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RobertKK wrote: »
    Real Madrid and Barcelona move over...United might be about to smash the record for a transfer fee.

https://twitter.com/skysportsnewshq/status/751024671232028672

Those fees are why I don't worry bout the cost of Pogba. Top level talent requires top level investment. Passing over someone like Pogba cause he might cost a little too much would be crazy. We keep being told we are one of the richest teams in the world. Time to prove it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

This is a preposterous amount of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Those fees are why I don't worry bout the cost of Pogba. Top level talent requires top level investment. Passing over someone like Pogba cause he might cost a little too much would be crazy. We keep being told we are one of the richest teams in the world. Time to prove it :D

If Madrid want him then they can pay us £150 million or more in 2 or 3 seasons time.;)

Only if you can't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

i think he will sign for Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,766 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Have to say I don't think Pogba is coming. Why would he sit out a year of CL football (and no guarantee it won't be more) when he could either stay in Juve and or even go to RM and lose nothing in terms of titles or CL. If he really wants MU then my guess is he will stay for another year with Juve on the basis of a pre-deal with CL qualification next year being necessary to trigger it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Real the most likely destination, don't do it to yereselves lads!

Woodward does seem determined to have a world record transfer at United for prestige I guess and to show we don't always have to be in Madrid/ Barca shadow. Seems to want to mark his time at United in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    i think he will sign for Utd.

We've been burnt too many times. I'm not getting too invested into it.

Talk about keeping strong, have not clicked any links been put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

300k a week speaks louder than CL football.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lord TSC wrote: »

Is Pogba's contribution enough to justify the fee? The other players score a lot of goals so the fees have an obvious justification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

DM_7 wrote: »
    Is Pogba's contribution enough to justify the fee? The other players score a lot of goals so the fees have an obvious justification.

I dont think he will come, But having Names like Pogba and Zlatan on your team pays for itself in sponsorship and ****e like that, ability to attract others

TheDoc wrote: »
    We've been burnt too many times. I'm not getting too invested into it.

Talk about keeping strong, have not clicked any links been put up.

Ah yeah i know and to be honest I wont be overly annoyed if he doesnt sign as long as someone else comes in.

I just think the way it is playing out in the press and with his agent and all that it looks to me more likely than not that he is open to the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

The first 2 letters of Pogba and positivity train are exactly the same.

Hardly a coincidence?

It's on like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

has anyone put out the FutureGuy call sign

We need his declaration???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

A shakedown of investors and a noodle sponsor pays for it in 5 minutes

391050.jpg

brinty wrote: »

He was in last night buddy. Not happening.

jayo26 wrote: »
    He was in last night buddy. Not happening.

woohoo so.....

The thing is, even if he does sign, he needs a good workhorse midfielder beside him. Who will that be? Schneiderlin looks the most obvious and I`m not sure hes up to it.

It is mad money but Id expect it more likely than not that he will be at Old Trafford next season.

I don't think immediately he worth anywhere near that. But we are in a shifting market relating to worth. I don't even think we can properly justify value anymore. Talk of Coutinho going for €40m like....

But I think that its the potential future of this signing. He is 23 years old. There is a lot of mileage there.

If Pogba goes onto be as dominating as many indicate, if he helps the club win titles, win Champions Leagues, and become a properly global force in the football sense of the word, the value will really mean nothing.

Gareth Bale looked a ridiculous fee when Madrid bought him, but two champions leagues later, doesn't look that ridiculous....

• Advertisement

According to rumours and claims that are being made:
    Pogba open to returning to United - check
    Raiola wanting Pogba at United - Check
    United meeting the demands of Pogba - check
    Juventus will want a world record fee - check
    Now United and Juventus in talks...

Jose Mourinho may be able to breath soon.

woohoo so.....

Dont tell irishcris tho he dont like that kinda fun going on.

adox wrote: »
    Ah yeah i know and to be honest I wont be overly annoyed if he doesnt sign as long as someone else comes in.

I just think the way it is playing out in the press and with his agent and all that it looks to me more likely than not that he is open to the move.

Yeah. But we JUST had the Ramos affair last summer haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

13 hours late champ!

FutureGuy wrote: »
    WE ARE NOT (RE)SIGNING PAUL POGBA.

GOOD NIGHT!

Edits: Caps are necessary for any deal that is over £100m

jayo26 wrote: »
    Dont tell irishcris tho he dont like that kinda fun going on.

I thought it was you and me that were the anti craic police on this forum????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

£100m for Pogba.. And United let him go for nothing a few years ago..would have been cheaper to pay him his current wage demands back then. Crazy

• Advertisement

is there anything to be said for saying an oul mass and a few prayers and a decade of the rosary...
    has anyone put out the child of prague!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Meh to the Sky sports tweet, they are no more in the know than you or I these days..

In saying that,we would be paying 100m for a 23 year old with potential to be one of if not the best player of his generation. I think over the space of his career he will justify the money, he is that good..

Probably a separate discussion to be had after the window closes and we see how things fall. But while it's a likely a combination of things, either Woodward is finally at ease with how transfers work, or previous managers were the root cause of issues.

For all the **** he gets, the sanctions and signoff he provides on spending cannot be faulted. He is empowering every manager (bar Moyes first window) to achieve the utmost, where transfers cannot be used as the excuse.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah. But we JUST had the Ramos affair last summer haha

Yeah but I didnt believe a word of it last season. This just feels different and has gone way beyond the Ramos story last year imo.

Too many things lining up. Feels like the deal isnt too far away.

Maybe its the Mourhino factor and I`m a bit giddy but my read of the situation, weighing everything up, is agreement will be reached for the move in the next few days with Pogba travelling to manchaster after the Euros for the formalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

sawfish wrote: »
    £100m for Pogba.. And United let him go for nothing a few years ago..would have been cheaper to pay him his current wage demands back then. Crazy

Wages weren't the issue, it was playing time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

sawfish wrote: »

He wanted guaranteed playing time which Fergie (at the time rightly) couldn't agree too.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but how would it look, the best manager of all time, notorious for his stance that no player is bigger than the club, bowing to the demands of a teenager.

No way, no how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Just on the transfer fee - If we're being honest with ourselves, the only time a transfer fee matters is when a player flops or does unexpectedly well.
    Nobody gives a sh*te about the Martial transfer fee anymore because he's f*ckin' class. We would never hear the end of it if he had turned out a dud.

The figures touted are massive but what difference does it make to any of us whether £100m makes its way to a bank in Italy or stays in the Glazer's pockets? In one scenario we have Paul Pogba, in the other we don't, but yay for keeping our lovely American owners flush.

Transfer fees are off the wall now. I've made a decision not to be bothered by them anymore. Troy Deeney... Raheem Sterling... It's all gone mad.

astradave wrote: »

In saying that,we would be paying 100m for a 23 year old with potential to be one of if not the best player of his generation. I think over the space of his career he will justify the money, he is that good..

If he goes on to be as good as many think he will, then yes, undoubtedly. I can kind of in my mind relate this to Bale. Outragous jaw dropping fee, unquestionably good business within three seasons, and more to come.

If Pogba goes on to be a dominating force for 5+ years, you could easily spunk €120m+ in that time on midfielders trying to address the problem he will hopefully do himself from the get go.

Just on the transfer fee - If we're being honest with ourselves, the only time a transfer fee matters is when a player flops or does unexpectedly well.
    Nobody gives a sh*te about the Martial transfer fee anymore because he's f*ckin' class. We would never hear the end of it if he had turned out a dud.

The figures touted are massive but what difference does it make to any of us whether £100m makes its way to a bank in Italy or stays in the Glazer's pockets? In one scenario we have Paul Pogba, in the other we don't, but yay for keeping our lovely American owners flush.

Transfer fees are off the wall now. I've made a decision not to be bothered by them anymore. Troy Deeney... Raheem Sterling... It's all gone mad.

Yeah saw a tweet this morning which claimed it odd at the outrage about the Pogba fee, yet it was a "loud minority" concerned with the Glazers method of take over.

Basically a series of tweets indicating €120m is ****ing nothing to United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

With regards the transfer fees and goals etc...

Zidane never scored more than 12 goals in season - his record was about 1 in 5 or 6. He would have been worth his world record transfer fee. Having a world class midfielder, capable of dominating the midfield battle, is worth its weight in gold. Pogba is, imo, the next great central midfielder in football. Obviously I could be way off on my assessment - but I'll be ecstatic if we sign him. Money no object (and if we sign him that will evidently be the case) I can't think of another CM I would want United to sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The figures touted are massive but what difference does it make to any of us

Agree on the money, couldn't care less. I'm hesitant cos we've seen this before and players tend to opt for Spain for weather, money and a handier league than EPL where you can concentrate your peak for Clasicos and Champs League games.

As regards Martial, you're spot on. Don't mind what he cost, if I get a shirt this year it'll have his name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Never understand why fans get so bothered about transfer fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Bradz213 wrote: »
    Never understand why fans get so bothered about transfer fees.

People have issues with transfer fees when you need to replace half your starting 11

I think Jose will build a team like the way Fergie did were its one out , one in

• As long as it's not Veron 2.0...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    People have issues with transfer fees when you need to replace half your starting 11

I think Jose will build a team like the way Fergie did were its one out , one in

I just never cared about them as it's not my money and would rather see it blown on a player than making some fat-cat richer

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement