Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

few reports saying Matudi deal has been put in place in case Pogba moves to madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »
    few reports saying Matudi deal has been put in place in case Pogba moves to madrid

Have seen nothing saying this, can you throw up some links?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

yep must be why Ronaldo and Messi the 2 biggest players in the history of the game trusted him enough to write books for them :rolleyes:

Ronaldo didn't trust him with anything. That biography is unauthorised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Jayop wrote: »
    I just found my new favorite website.

http://sinceliverpoollastwonatrophy.co.uk/

I got stacks of mileage out of the Arsenal version until they won the FA cup.

Every time one of the Arsenal fans in work went out to have a smoke etc somebody would open a browser on his PC and just leave the counter ticking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ronaldo didn't trust him with anything. That biography is unauthorised.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Have seen nothing saying this, can you throw up some links?

MEN were reporting earlier

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-news-matuidi-pogba-11578185

brinty wrote: »
    is there anything to be said for saying an oul mass and a few prayers and a decade of the rosary...
    has anyone put out the child of prague!!!!

Well,I'm C.o.I. so cant help! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

I can't see Matuidi being happy as a fall back option for us should Pogba go to Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

statto25 wrote: »
    I can't see Matuidi being happy as a fall back option for us should Pogba go to Madrid.

Im sure hes big enough to get over it and sign if it happens and if he wants to.

Anyway I think Utd should be trying to buy both, not one or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Nearly as reliable as that Spanish fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    Im sure hes big enough to get over it and sign if it happens and if he wants to.

Anyway I think Utd should be trying to buy both, not one or the other.

Aybabtu.png

Pogba for £100m,wow! I remember the hoohaa about Trevor Francis moving to Nottingham Forest in 1979 for £1m so I suppose it was inevitable that the £100m barrier would be reached at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Pogba for £100m,wow! I remember the hoohaa about Trevor Francis moving to Nottingham Forest in 1979 for £1m so I suppose it was inevitable that the £100m barrier would be reached at some stage.

See, old people can computers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

They can also construct proper sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Can remember transfer records at Utd being broken by Bryan Robson 1.5m in 81 I think Gary Pallister 2.3m not sure of year 89 maybe ? Roy Keane 3.75m in 03 I think. Then of course Veron and Rooney smashed that. Incredible to think it's moving so fast. Say there's a few records in between I've forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Berbatov? Rio too maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,207 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Di Maria of course.

I'm only 50! :(:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I'm only 50! :(:)

Been saying that for a while?

• Advertisement

Can remember transfer records at Utd being broken by Bryan Robson 1.5m in 81 I think Gary Pallister 2.3m not sure of year 89 maybe ? Roy Keane 3.75m in 03 I think. Then of course Veron and Rooney smashed that. Incredible to think it's moving so fast. Say there's a few records in between I've forgotten

Gary Birtles for £1.25m in 1980,some of those £1m + transfers were rubbish,Steve Daley went to Man City for over £1m and he was a big flop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Can somebody just clarify. Do United not get €75 a season alone from Adidas because that's pretty much a marquee signing a season even if Pogba does end up being €100, doesn't seem like that much of a hit especially if it translate into success on the pitch and then money that is brought in from all over the world from marketing.

And just think of all the tax that can be set against it as well.

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Been saying that for a while?

My hero at United in the late 70s,Jimmy Greenhoff is 70 now! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

But never the world record transfer, that is a big step up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Guillem Ballague getting in now that Real Madrid are being priced out by United - could have told him days ago.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12087/10494459/paul-pogba-favours-real-madrid-over-manchester-united-but-real-fear-being-priced-out-says-guillem-balague

Of course he says Pogba wants to go to Madrid...but now says Madrid can't afford him.Ballague would always say a player that is valued at such a high price is wanted in his homeland of Spain.
    I wonder if it is Real Madrid or Ballague who feels United are crazy.

"The problem is Real Madrid feel the kind of money that Manchester United is willing to pay for him is crazy and they cannot match it."

Have to say Ballague seems to be late to this transfer but then makes out he knows everything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Something very satisfying in pricing Madrid out of a transfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

We all have to live in the present,I would be in older vintage of posters on here but remember an entire summer of listening to sports reports at end of 2FM news bulletins waiting to see if Roy Keane had decided between Blackburn Rovers and Man Utd!.... Yes Blackburn Rovers kids:)!!.....for 3.75 m Sterling.

Pogba prob about 20m Stg overpriced but his young age and athletic ability make him a player worth going for.Would be a bit worried about the reported 300k Sterling weekly wage as it might start rest of young lads in squad looking for increased wages but that's business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Something very satisfying of pricing Madrid out of a transfer

That immense feeling of satisfaction you get when you trade a player to Juve for free and buy him back for 100m Afew years later . Absolute insanity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

We all have to live in the present,I would be in older vintage of posters on here but remember an entire summer of listening to sports reports at end of 2FM news bulletins waiting to see if Roy Keane had decided between Blackburn Rovers and Man Utd!.... Yes Blackburn Rovers kids:)!!.....for 3.75 m Sterling.

Pogba prob about 20m Stg overpriced but his young age and athletic ability make him a player worth going for.Would be a bit worried about the reported 300k Sterling weekly wage as it might start rest of young lads in squad looking for increased wages but that's business.

Awful memories of 94/95 season *shudder* :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

viper006 wrote: »
    That immense feeling of satisfaction you get when you trade a player to Juve for free and buy him back for 100m Afew years later . Absolute insanity

There was no trade he refused to sign a contract so he was free to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I remember the day after it looked like he was off to Blackburn and at least 3 papers had "Roy of the Rovers" as their headline in backpage

• Advertisement

If Andy Cole had to transfer for straight up cash would he of been a world record? I know he was a brittish record until Stan collymore I can't remember what world record was then.

Edit: nope it would of been gianluca lentini followed by Ronaldo in 96.

viper006 wrote: »
    jayo26 wrote: »
    There was no trade he refused to sign a contract so he was free to leave.

Also, as Jayo said he was free to leave, he decided to leave. United couldn't hold him against his will and he obviously wasn't getting in to the team at the time. Should Fergie have gazed into a crystal ball and tied Pogba up in his basement until such a time where there was a place for him in the team?

Also, as Jayo said he was free to leave, he decided to leave. United couldn't hold him against his will and he obviously wasn't getting in to the team at the time. Should Fergie have gazed into a crystal ball and tied Pogba up in his basement until such a time where there was a place for him in the team?

I don't think it was because pogba wasn't good enough then I think Fergie refused to play him because he was demanding to play or something like that.

I know it was far from straight forward anyway. I remember the news been about him not been happy at game time and I think in a week or two later he came on against stoke.

• viper006 wrote: »

Who honestly gives a ****?
    Seriously
    What difference does it make to any fan of the club.
    Let's let the glazers take it instead of let the club spend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

How do people feel about United being his second choice? (If that's the case)

• How do people feel about United being his second choice? (If that's the case)

Unless he's going to turn out like a Veron or a Di Maria then I don't care
    Once he does it on the pitch

Dont u think most of the Liverpool squad are there for the first choice?

Same with de gea one time his first choice was to join madrid but as long as he keeps performing how bad.

Players go where their careers can advance the notion of having a squad of 30 United fans is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Something very satisfying in pricing Madrid out of a transfer

I do believe schadenfreude would be the best way to it.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I don't think it was because pogba wasn't good enough then I think Fergie refused to play him because he was demanding to play or something like that.

I know it was far from straight forward anyway. I remember the news been about him not been happy at game time and I think in a week or two later he came on against stoke.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean he wasn't good enough but that he was below others in the pecking order. Anyway I think people get too hung up with the whole thing that he was let go and how we're supposedly breaking records to re-sign him.

I am a bit dubious about signing him again (if we do) as it seems like he wants Real and will be just biding his time with us (like Di Maria & PSG). We will see how it pans out anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Think that would depend on if he came to United and how well he performed. Did he look like somebody who didn't want to be there (ah la Di Maria) or does he take the opportunity to get himself into Ballon D'Or contention no matter where he is as it is said that what he wants to achieve.

Sure United were second choice with De Gea lately and look how that has turned out.

No better place if ya ask me. The team at United is looking fresher and the sky could be the limit!

If Madrid want him bad enough they will get him, but it's hard to tell. I put United favourites now, based purely on what I'm hearing in Media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Part of me is thinking if his heart's not in it then he's better off somewhere else.

The other part of me is thinking that if a great big corporate beast like Man U wants to spunk that kinda money on a player that will be gone in three seasons, but who might help land some silverware before he goes, then they should just go ahead and do that.

I like to get romantic about the whole idea of certain values within a football club. But that's dead. At least United (and the fans) aren't trying to pretend anymore that there's some unwritten old-school footballing code that forms the basis of decision making within the club. Have loadsa money, spend loadsa money. NFL style. That's the new reality.

• If Madrid want him bad enough they will get him, but it's hard to tell. I put United favourites now, based purely on what I'm hearing in Media

Don't do it to yourself :P

What I will say is that this type of player wouldn't be even discussed without Jose
    And that's coming from someone who's not fully convinced yet
    Credit where credit is due
    He seems to have a serious ability to pull world class talent wherever he goes

I would trust the leading French sports newspaper L'equipe who said Pogba always intended on returning to United as part of his career plan.

Some Spanish journalists will always want to say he wanted to go to to Spain over England, in France it is he always intended on returning.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Don't do it to yourself :P

What I will say is that this type of player wouldn't be even discussed without Jose
    And that's coming from someone who's not fully convinced yet
    Credit where credit is due
    He seems to have a serious ability to pull world class talent wherever he goes

I be very happy with the signing if we do get him.

It's not so much not trying get my hopes up, as it's once bitten, more like.

Now it could be done and dusted I haven't a clue, just think we be waiting

Victor Valdes confirmed as a Middlesbrough player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

RobertKK wrote: »
    Victor Valdes confirmed as a Middlesbrough player.

The whole world is upside down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I like to get romantic about the whole idea of certain values within a football club. But that's dead. At least United (and the fans) aren't trying to pretend anymore that there's some unwritten old-school footballing code that forms the basis of decision making within the club. Have loadsa money, spend loadsa money. NFL style. That's the new reality.

If opposition fans are to be believed then "the united way" is to buy the way to the top, by any means, bribing refs to add on time, the FA and the premier league lending a helping hand too.

all of a sudden these same clowns are worried that United fans care about spending a hundred mil on a player who left on a free a while back, a player who had such belief in himself that he demanded first team football, and when wasn't getting it went off to Italy and won it all over there, putting himself in the position he knew he deserved to be - the best and most expensive player in the world.

who really gives a bollix if he couldn't break into the United team 3 years ago and left when his contract was up? He went and proved himself and now he's reaping the rewards.

"The United Way" has always been to use self-funded money to buy the very best players they could afford, and complement those players with homegrown youngsters. Even by breaking transfer records along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Unless any player is at Real or Barca, he's not at his first choice club.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement