Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Am I the only one who thinks the £100m should really be broken down to 30-40m to improve the team in several places?

£100m is absolutely ridiculous money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

viper006 wrote: »
    That immense feeling of satisfaction you get when you trade a player to Juve for free and buy him back for 100m Afew years later . Absolute insanity

So you would rather miss out on an outstanding signing because the club failed to see his potential.

All this talk of Madrid. If you were spurned by a club you would love to make them pay 100m to get you back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

irishfeen wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks the £100m should really be broken down to 30-40m to improve the team in several places?

Not really when we still have plenty of 30-40 millions around to buy other players and strengthen elsewhere. We're not going to blow it all on one player, but rather we have already added 3 players, add one big name and then if we need to get another player if people leave we still can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It's going to be hard enough to get four new players to gel let alone another summer of six or seven.

You have two options you go and buy the best players you can or you do like Liverpool have been doing and buying in 8 or 9 players for average price and hoping you hit gold with a few.

I'd prefer four top players then 7 average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The reason why Barca/Rm are seen as the big clubs is that historically they have acted that way. Top players always ended up there.

If MU want to be seen as the biggest club they need to knock them off their perch, and that will take money.

Much like Chelsea and City needed to do when they got money, they needed to splash it around to jump the que. Of course MU have far more positives from the start than either of them did but we now have a world class manager and need to make MU the destination for top players.

We have DDG, Martial, get Pogba on board and you are showing the world that the situation is changing. With the money rolling into the PL and with MU being far ahead of the others in the EPL in terms of revenue they need to flex that muscle.

€80m for Ronaldo by RM was seen as crazy, same the Bale sale. But that it the type of club RM what to be seen as. It proves you are the best when RM want you. MU need to take over that mantle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Utd have confirmed Jose's backroom staff.

Assistant manager - Rui Faria

49FF8B2C434640D7AA14CFB4B528B61D.ashx?mw=500

Coach - Silvino Louro

EF76612215704209834604041CB16DEB.ashx?mw=500

Coach - Ricardo Formosinho

FD6278701AB44CD7BA1B234FB9CB0E98.ashx?mw=500

Coach - Carlos Lalin

4CB995D1403A48859E267B89E3F424AA.ashx?mw=500

Coach - Emilio Alvarez

D8395A8D5169453985A8FC132B72B485.ashx?mw=500

Analyst - Giovanni Cerra

45D8383DEDFB455A92D638225754662C.ashx?mw=500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

That Louro fella looks like a mafia hitman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Utd aren't spending 100m on a footballer unless they can afford it. Fear not. You need to spend big to be big these days and if Utd pull off this transfer it'll almost make me believe the good old days might, just might, be possible again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Reminds me of the time we had the mexican cartel looking bench

CAtPOv9WcAA2M4k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

It's an insane amount of money but you know what - some club in the very near future is gonna throw out 100M, so it might as well be us!

As Walrus said we would only make a bid if we had it to spend anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

The Coaching staff look like Mafia Mugshots

Exciting times ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

TheTownie wrote: »
    Utd have confirmed Jose's backroom staff.

Assistant manager - Rui Faria

49FF8B2C434640D7AA14CFB4B528B61D.ashx?mw=500

Coach - Silvino Louro

EF76612215704209834604041CB16DEB.ashx?mw=500

Coach - Ricardo Formosinho

FD6278701AB44CD7BA1B234FB9CB0E98.ashx?mw=500

Coach - Carlos Lalin

4CB995D1403A48859E267B89E3F424AA.ashx?mw=500

Coach - Emilio Alvarez

D8395A8D5169453985A8FC132B72B485.ashx?mw=500

Analyst - Giovanni Cerra

45D8383DEDFB455A92D638225754662C.ashx?mw=500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Can someone with a good brain for things tell me if the devaluation of the pound sterling has warped the bidding process slightly? Or does it even matter.

Is it better or worse for United with a £100 million bid? Im wondering if Juve had a value of say €100 million before brexit (£75 million approx) then it has now gone up to £85 million approx. Am I right with that or does it even matter? Do United work with the dollar?

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can someone with a good brain for things tell me if the devaluation of the pound sterling has warped the bidding process slightly? Or does it even matter.

Is it better or worse for United with a £100 million bid? Im wondering if Juve had a value of say €100 million before brexit (£75 million approx) then it has now gone up to £85 million approx. Am I right with that or does it even matter? Do United work with the dollar?

I was talking about this earlier I actually think United are lucky because we're on the US stock exchange and deal primarily in dollar i think the likes of the chevy and aon deals were officially announced in dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

GSPfan wrote: »

Given the fee is reported to be €120 million, we will be paying more due to 52% of British people making a silly choice.
    The cost of living in the UK will rise as imports will be more expensive for the British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Unless any player is at Real or Barca, he's not at his first choice club.

Not sure Paul Scholes would agree.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I was talking about this earlier I actually think United are lucky because we're on the US stock exchange and deal primarily in dollar i think the likes of the chevy and aon deals were officially announced in dollars.

Yeah, they would have their money hedged by having Euro, US dollar and Sterling pound accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

jayo26 wrote: »

The vast majority of United's revenue would be generated in sterling though, everything from TV revenue to match day revenue. I'd imagine too that the likes of Pogba will want the sterling equivelint of whatever Euro salary he was previously going to demand, hence such contracts will cost United more,

Couple that with the potential impact on the club of the country going into recession and the tightening of restrictions on the employment of foreign nationals. I can't see Brexit being beneficial for any club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The vast majority of United's revenue would be generated in sterling though, everything from TV revenue to match day revenue. I'd imagine too that the likes of Pogba will want the sterling equivelint of whatever Euro salary he was previously going to demand, hence such contracts will cost United more,

Couple that with the potential impact on the club of the country going into recession and the tightening of restrictions on the employment of foreign nationals. I can't see Brexit being beneficial for any club.

I dont know, but I would imagine United spend a lot of timing hedging FX risks given their sponsors pay them in dollars, they get prize money and tv revenue in sterling, and increasingly players will want to be paid in Euro. The Glazers take their profits in dollars too.

Whilst Pogba may demand more, on the bright side Rooney's contract suddenly got a lot less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Sand wrote: »
    I dont know, but I would imagine United spend a lot of timing hedging FX risks given their sponsors pay them in dollars, they get prize money and tv revenue in sterling, and increasingly players will want to be paid in Euro. The Glazers take their profits in dollars too.

Whilst Pogba may demand more, on the bright side Rooney's contract suddenly got a lot less.

It's just worth a lot less to him.

• Advertisement

Be nice if the Chinese came in with a huge offer for Rooney and a huge wage for him, and we then replaced Rooney with Griezmann.
    Looking at the link up play with Pogba to Griezmann for a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Good luck with that if watford turned down £38m for oghalo. £100m for pogba doesn't seem that ridiculous in comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    The Coaching staff look like Mafia Mugshots

Exciting times ahead

Send a few around to Pogba and make him an offer he can't refuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Sand wrote: »

I'd guess you're right with regard to United hedging funds, but I've no idea what currency players are paid in. Irrespective though, the devaluation of the pound, while United may have softened the blow, has still been bad for their business

I wont ever claim to be an accountant but I'd say Uniteds sterling earnings would only be about third of their turn-over.

150 approx million league earnings an i
    Donno what matchday revenue is but say its something like 1 million per game thats about 25 million max.

Dollars we have the equivalent of 70 million pound from addidas probably more now because the value of pound has dropped

We have 50 million from chevy

30 million from aon

And about another 20 smaller sponsors that probably average abouthe 3 million each

Thats not even counting euro prize money from Europa league or champions league if we get back in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its a very big if for me but if Pogba comes, he has to have the right partner to get the most out of him.

That's my big worry

• Headshot wrote: »
    Its a very big if for me but if Pogba comes, he has to have the right partner to get the most out of him.

That's my big worry

This was always the case regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

jayo26 wrote:
    150 approx million league earnings an i Donno what matchday revenue is but say its something like 1 million per game thats about 25 million max.

Match day revenues would be significantly higher. 75,000 seats at an average of a conservative 40 pound per ticket is 3 million. The tickets range from 32 up to 65 for regular tickets and that's without hospitality and match day packages and exec boxes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Great to see Schweini playing well tonight.

• Advertisement

VW 1 wrote: »
    Match day revenues would be significantly higher. 75,000 seats at an average of a conservative 40 pound per ticket is 3 million. The tickets range from 32 up to 65 for regular tickets and that's without hospitality and match day packages and exec boxes etc.

I'd imagine the costs of hosting a match would be significantly hight too tho paying stewards and staff at stadium ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

match day revenue at United for the year ending June 30 2015 was 90.6million

http://ir.manutd.com/company-information/business-model.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

jayo26 wrote:
    150 approx million league earnings an i Donno what matchday revenue is but say its something like 1 million per game thats about 25 million max.

VW 1 wrote: »

Pretty sure I read that match day turnover could be anything up to 5 million depending on everything from executive boxes to who the opposition is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I wouldn't be putting any money on Pogba to United.

• glued wrote: »
    I wouldn't be putting any money on Pogba to United.

Lol

41 minutes into a semi final lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If that was Martial he would of scored that.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure I read that match day turnover could be anything up to 5 million depending on everything from executive boxes to who the opposition is.

That's fair enough as I said I won't claim to be an accountant ha. It's a mad income too when you think about it no wonder spurs and Chelsea want new stadiums.

Headshot wrote: »
    If that was Martial he would of scored that.

After he round the defender and keeper.

• Evra playing well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lol

41 minutes into a semi final lads

I'm talking about betting on him to come to United. Nothing to do with his performance at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

"The United Way" has always been to use self-funded money to buy the very best players they could afford, and complement those players with homegrown youngsters. Even by breaking transfer records along the way.

And I don't disagree with any of that. I just feel that United's approach to transfers has changed massively in the past few years, and perhaps understandably so. For example, United have never broken the world transfer record for a player, and here they are now on the verge of smashing it for Paul Pogba. And this is coming only two years after breaking the British transfer record for Di Maria. That's a massive amount of money and a noticeable change in tact for a club that, under Ferguson, was always wary of paying a premium on players (notwithstanding his numerous British transfer records).

It's worth noting that Real Madrid have broken the world transfer record on the past five occasions. And we all know what their approach to transfers is. It would appear that United are moving in that direction. Now, it's possible that with a steady manager in charge, and a solid team in place, the squad may only need to be tweaked when the right players come along. And perhaps that is the case. However, it's also possible that United are just gonna turn into one of those clubs that spends big, and does so very, very often.

I'm not expecting the same transfer policy these days because obviously the circumstances are fundamentally different now that Ferguson has retired. But even allowing for the monumental change that the club has went through these past three years, their transfer policy does represent a major change in how the club goes about its business.

I admired Ferguson's willingness to break records, but also his reservations about signing older players and his reluctance to spend massively on those that are untested in the Premier League. That wasn't a 'policy' that was set in stone, but it did constitute some sort methodology, a "United's Way", if you will.

So it's been a wake-up call for me, and I suspect a lot of other United fans, to see their club spending so big, and at times without any clear sense of direction (although not under Jose, thankfully).

• Advertisement

• glued wrote: »
    I'm talking about betting on him to come to United. Nothing to do with his performance at all.

I apologize dude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Apart from giving away the pen,I think Basti has been brilliant in the first half.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Apart from giving away the pen,I think Basti has been brilliant in the first half.

Best player on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

He's definitely been the difference between the two teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

If Bastian carries on this form next season, I wouldn't mind him taking the captains armband.

Real role model for the younger players and is a machine on his day. Potential to be a great leader for the club

Edit: but of course this probably won't happen...... cough cough Rooney cough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Great to see Howard Webb is part of our coaching team :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Muller having an awful tournament.

Evra vacating the LB spot from the first minute. He's a parody of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Pogba sent him back to Germany ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

The more I watch him, the more I want to see him at OT.

The Old Trafford crowd needs a superstar

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement