Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jayop wrote: »
    Probably still a bit light in CB with Smalling only really proving his ability to stay fit for more than 3 games recently,

Oh come on, Smalling had 55 club games last season and then also played at the Euros. He had 29 games the season before and 38 in Moyes season, at this stage the injury tag has been well and truly shaken off.

And if Carrick is a starter in midfield next season I will be very disappointed in Jose Mourinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

In L'equipe's Friday edition, they are claiming that Pogba has told certain friends and team mates of his desire to return to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ya I would desire to return to utd for 300 grand a week

A strong desire lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can we group all the Pogba reports into one post a day, like the email notifications?

Thread just seems like a constant barrage of "Media outlet says Pogba blah blah blah" these days and theres only so many times you can hear the same non-story without dying a little inside.

In other news, the resurrected Metro says that Pogba will tell Juventus he wants to play the European cup final before he goes on holiday.

Can we group all the Pogba reports into one post a day, like the email notifications?

Thread just seems like a constant barrage of "Media outlet says Pogba blah blah blah" these days and theres only so many times you can hear the same non-story without dying a little inside.

In other news, the resurrected Metro says that Pogba will tell Juventus he wants to play the European cup final before he goes on holiday.

Well it is the big transfer story of the summer in world football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Don't get me wrong I think Pogba is unbelievably talented but I must be one of the few here who isn't that excited about the whole thing.

When he left Ferguson didn't exactly have good things to say "It is disappointing. I don't think he showed us any respect at all, to be honest. I'm quite happy that if they [footballers] carry on that way, they're probably better doing it away from us."

If it was a rival club buying back a 23 year old who left, for an estimated £100million after comments like that from a well respected manager you can bet your bottom dollar I along with many others here would be poking fun at them.

I will acknowledge that he would improve the squad in terms of talent and my opinions on this are solely based on feeling a bit of embarrassment if we were to fork out shed loads to bring him back, I'm more than likely in the wrong for this.

If he joins our team will be stronger but I certainly won't be joining in on the usual day of celebratory gifs and posts :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

syngindub wrote: »
    wouldn't pay 100M for pogba, no way on that performance

Look at it this way:

When you say Pogba costs 2 Raheem Sterlings, it sounds like a bargain.

:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Oh come on, Smalling had 55 club games last season and then also played at the Euros. He had 29 games the season before and 38 in Moyes season, at this stage the injury tag has been well and truly shaken off.

And if Carrick is a starter in midfield next season I will be very disappointed in Jose Mourinho.

And that is exactly what I said. Last season was the first time he went uninjured through an entire season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Headshot wrote: »
    ya I would desire to return to utd for 300 grand a week

A strong desire lol

"I've always held a special place in my heart for Moneychester United.....Manchester United."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

J. Marston wrote: »
    "I've always held a special place in my heart for Moneychester United.....Manchester United."

I think sulivan from Westhampnett hit the nail on the head with similar comments about Teversham. He says he loves the club but when they tried to get him Back he wanted 250k a week.

So yeh any player will love the club for that money.

If pogba joined I'd be under no illusions that he is only there for career and money but I don't see a problem with that as long as he is kept under a good contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think sulivan from Westhampnett hit the nail on the head with similar comments about Teversham. He says he loves the club but when they tried to get him Back he wanted 250k a week.

So yeh any player will love the club for that money.

If pogba joined I'd be under no illusions that he is only there for career and money but I don't see a problem with that as long as he is kept under a good contract.

He will probably sign for 4 years and leave for Madrid for free (again) coming into his peak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

You must have missed the 1st half... perhaps you missed his dart into the box after his 1/2 with draxler around the 20 minutes Mark only to be hacked down by pogba and no penalty given.

Strange in a night like tonight you'd single out kroos

Outrageously talented footballer yet people are raving about Basti's first half.

My point still stands, unless a dart into the box fits your definition of imposing himself on a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well after the Euros it really is time to get rid of Basti.

He is clearly not fit enough, was never the quickest but now is far too slow and he can't last a whole game. His stupid handball basically cost them the game yesterday.

Not exactly the attributes of a Cm on which to base on title challenge.

It was a poor decision to buy him. Hindsight is always great, but if we can get any money back for him and save on his wages then Jose should be looking to offload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

If united got pogba (currently a big if), do we have the type of DM required to allow him to do his stuff without exposing the centre of midfield?

Personally I think we'd have to cover that position too as Carrick, Schwein are getting on and I'm still not sure about Schneiderlin after his first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Well after the Euros it really is time to get rid of Basti.

He is clearly not fit enough, was never the quickest but now is far too slow and he can't last a whole game. His stupid handball basically cost them the game yesterday.

Not exactly the attributes of a Cm on which to base on title challenge.

It was a poor decision to buy him. Hindsight is always great, but if we can get any money back for him and save on his wages then Jose should be looking to offload.

That and the fact they couldn't score :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I just get a bad vibe when it's now rumoured United are hoping have deal done by August.

Really? If he really wants join us it should not take so long

I just get a bad vibe when it's now rumoured United are hoping have deal done by August.

Really? If he really wants join us it should not take so long

Yeh I'd agree if it's not done next week after the euros and it's pogba holding it up I can't see why it would take so long unless of course juventus are playing hard ball over the money end of it which could drag it out.

Basically if it's gonna drag on we need a settled midfield asap if not him go for someone else and invest in a young player like tielmans that has the potential to be as good or better then pogba.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

585c34df70722fcbd9a25aa671118298.jpg

I think we can all agree that's a title contending side right there with great options to come in all over the park too. Probably still a bit light in CB with Smalling only really proving his ability to stay fit for more than 3 games recently, Bailly unproven in England, Jones made of glass and Blind being a turd at CB (unpopular opinion I know).

Full backs are well covered, CM has another 3/4 decent options, up front we can switch in players depending on form and fitness.

Personally I'd prefer Bastian in for Carrick as I think if he can get the form back for us he along with Pogba would be an unreal pairing.

The blend of youth and experience is probably just perfect.

Rashford 18, TFM 18, Martial 20, Shaw 20, Bailly 22, Pogba 23.
    Degea 25, Smalling 26, Mkhitaryan 27.
    Carrick 35 (this month), Zlatan 35 (next month)

I'm worried about TFM being a Phil Jones and shifted all over the place. I ultimately feel he will be a defensive midfielder so hope he gets used more there. Certainly not a RB

Bradz213 wrote: »
    I'm worried about TFM being a Phil Jones and shifted all over the place. I ultimately feel he will be a defensive midfielder so hope he gets used more there. Certainly not a RB

I don't mind a young lad of 18 being given game time somewhere like full back. Ideally he'll soon be good enough for the cm slot.

• Advertisement

L’Equipe: Paul Pogba has ‘clearly expressed’ his desire to sign for Manchester United

Paul Pogba rumours are around every summer, sometimes popping up in the winter too to keep things interesting. Usually it’s similar stuff, led by the player’s agent Mino Raiola.

The cycle tends to go something like this: Raiola reminds the world what a wonderful talent Pogba is and how expensive he’s likely to be, the Italian media insist he’s happy at Juventus but add the caveat that an irresistible bid is, well, irresistible.

It’s then reported in Spain that Real Madrid are interested, with the Catalan press saying Barcelona are interested too but can’t afford him without a big sale. Then in Italy it’s claimed that Manchester United and/or Chelsea and Manchester City have readied a big bid and already agreed eye watering personal terms with Raiola.

This time, things may be different.

Raiola’s new found BFF status with Manchester United and Edward Woodward gives everything a new dynamic, and French newspaper L’Equipe say something on Friday which sounds very encouraging for a move.

Raiola and Woodward have been in talks, blah blah blah… and the player has told those around him he wants a Manchester United transfer.

Oui. L’Equipe state that Paul Pogba has ‘clearly expressed his desire to complete the circle by returning to Manchester United’.

This desire has been expressed to some teammates and friends, and if it’s now also expressed to Juventus, probably via Raiola, then things look like they could really be happening.

Perhaps an important and interesting aspect of the Pogba report is that when L’Equipe published an interview with the player on Thursday, the journalist who spoke to him was Damien Degorre.

The article with the Manchester United claims on Friday is credited to ‘H.De (avec D.D.)’. Meaning DD helped out, who it has be assumed is Damien Degorre, suggesting this may be as well sourced as it gets.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/lequipe-paul-pogba-clearly-expressed-desire-sign-manchester-united/

• DM_7 wrote: »
    How do you want to see him used, he was poor in a holding role last season

Sorry only seeing this now

I agree last year he wasn't great but I would point the finger towards LVG slightly

LVG wasn't sure of what system to play up until the last day of the season IMO

It sounds to me Jose already knows system he wants

I consider Morgans first year a blip

If Pogba is signed I expect him to be close to Schniedrlan but at the same time allowed the freedom to roam as in box-to-box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Why is there a lack of Darmian in people's projected/fantasy line-ups for next season? He was good in parts last season and I don't think many players excelled under LVG last season anyway. Also he was shifted left and right which wouldn't have helped him cement a position (I know he can theoretically player there). I wouldn't be putting Tim Fosu-Mensah in his place at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I am a big fan of Darmian, I'd like to see how he performs under Mourinho before dropping him. I think he's our best choice at right back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Why is there a lack of Darmian in people's projected/fantasy line-ups for next season? He was good in parts last season and I don't think many players excelled under LVG last season anyway. Also he was shifted left and right which wouldn't have helped him cement a position (I know he can theoretically player there). I wouldn't be putting Tim Fosu-Mensah in his place at the moment.

Thats all they are, Fantasy's

Nearly all of them are missing Rooney which I believe will not be the case next season unless he is injured

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Thats all they are, Fantasy's

Nearly all of them are missing Rooney which I believe will not be the case next season unless he is injured

True, also I can't see Carrick playing week in week out especially as we have so many midfielders at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

True, also I can't see Carrick playing week in week out especially as we have so many midfielders at the moment.

In Jose we trust :D

• Why is there a lack of Darmian in people's projected/fantasy line-ups for next season? He was good in parts last season and I don't think many players excelled under LVG last season anyway. Also he was shifted left and right which wouldn't have helped him cement a position (I know he can theoretically player there). I wouldn't be putting Tim Fosu-Mensah in his place at the moment.

I agree, and it's not just Darmian.
    So topsy-turvy

You could include the following in that bracket
    Depay
    Schniederlan
    Darmian as you say

To name a few

I don't mind a young lad of 18 being given game time somewhere like full back. Ideally he'll soon be good enough for the cm slot.

I agree but I though you were penning him in as your preference to start

I'm as excited about depay as a new signing under mourinho he looks really fired up judging by his tweets and stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Be like a new signing!

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'm as excited about depay as a new signing under mourinho he looks really fired up judging by his tweets and stuff

It's so funny looking at all the players tweets- Depay, Rashford & Lingard (how the hell did he get that ripped so fast :eek:) tweeting about how they're training etc, it's like kids trying to impress a new teacher! (not that I'm meaning to belittle their hard work) :)

• It's so funny looking at all the players tweets- Depay, Rashford & Lingard (how the hell did he get that ripped so fast :eek:) tweeting about how they're training etc, it's like kids trying to impress a new teacher! (not that I'm meaning to belittle their hard work) :)

No harm, a bit of pressure is good for them.
    Jose won't **** around. If you are not up to scratch then good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I'm pretty sure Depay posted similar stuff before last season about training hard and preparing for the challenge of being at United (workout videos etc.)

Don't get me wrong I REALLY want him to fulfill his potential. I'll just wait and see him on the pitch before I get overly hyped.

It's so funny looking at all the players tweets- Depay, Rashford & Lingard (how the hell did he get that ripped so fast :eek:) tweeting about how they're training etc, it's like kids trying to impress a new teacher! (not that I'm meaning to belittle their hard work) :)

Shaw last year was a prime example of what hard work over pre season can achieve hopefully Memphis can do something similar get his head right anyway because always looked fit.

And as for a change of manager we need look no further then mkhitaryan to see what difference hat can make he moved up a couple levels after klopp leaving.

I think with the L'equipe article we can put to bed that he wants to join Real Madrid with United being his second choice.
    Given the Sport Witness article said the person who authored the article in L'equipe is a good a source as it gets.
    I think some in the media and especially the Spanish media find it hard to believe that United would be where a player wants to go over Real Madrid or Barcelona.

The thing is, if you are Pogba and you always intended on a return to United as the french newspaper claims, now would be the perfect time.
    Signs of a resurgence around the corner for United, world class manager and if you return with the upturn, then I am sure Pogba would see this as him being associated with success and more than good for his reputation.
    If he went to Real Madrid, then it is Real Madrid and they are currently successful, less personal gain for reputation.

I think it is the same for Ibrahimovic and Mkhitaryan and I believe Raiola sold to his players how they can really enhance their reputation at the most popular team in the world - and with that their wealth - though Zlatan would have earned more in China, but success in China would mean zero in Europe or worldwide.
    Raiola wants his stars at United for the success he sees coming, and he knows all three compliment each other - Ibrahimovic gets goals, Micki with assists and goals, Pogba all rounder with assists and goals.
    Raiola will make this happen and it is just Juventus who have to be broken down as everyone else is on board.

Raiola is currently United's best friend and United don't mind paying him many millions, because if this works out, then the winners are United and Raiola and his clients.
    I would not be surprised if he did want Matuidi to be at United too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I agree with the people weary about the Pogba deal. €120 is a crazy amount and Pogba is worth nothing close to that.

Yes he is talented but he is not a god tier midfielder and we are paying god tier money for him.

If Woodward and Jose have €120 to splurge it would be much better used trying to lure Toni Kroos to OT imo, much better. He is superior to Pogba without question, Kroos almost always has a pass accuracy in the 90% bracket.

If Madrid are interested in Pogba we should be trying to sway Kroos from them instead for much less then €120m and then we might even have enough left over for a fifth player.

Pogba-Infographic.jpg

paul_pogba_-_player_focus.jpg

CO9BqltWgAEypU0.jpg

231606_orig.jpg

2581.jpg

BZcy2PkCUAAjIir.jpg

• Where were ya Airbag??
    Don't Leave again!!!

United should have the strength in depth to put out a good team on a Thursday in the Europa league and a different team that is the stronger one in the PL, so we don't have a sub par performance after a EL game.

Memphis was going well until Shaw got injured and then his form fell off a cliff. There was a good partnership forming on the left hand side between the two of them.

I'd definitely take Pogba over Kroos. We need a bit of power and drive from midfield. Not a player to labour the ball around and build up slow. Herrera can do that job, as can Basti and Carrick albeit not to the same effect but Pogba offers better balance. Kroos offers very little defensively in a 4-2-3-1 and we would be murdered in big games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That team was funny because it had Michael Carrick playing in midfield.

That picture made me laugh

Thank you for that laugh

• Advertisement

Agreed, unsure why Tim Fosu-Mensah is appearing in peoples teams.

Darmian is very clearly going to be the first choice RB and will take some knocking.

He was very good for me in his first season, coupled with the Van Gaal FB rotation nonsense.

Mensah will be very much filling bench spots this season. Don't see him being a main fixture in a title winning side at this point in time.

I'd definitely take Pogba over Kroos. We need a bit of power and drive from midfield. Not a player to labour the ball around and build up slow. Herrera can do that job, as can Basti and Carrick albeit not to the same effect but Pogba offers better balance. Kroos offers very little defensively in a 4-2-3-1 and we would be murdered in big games

Clearly not familiar with Toni Kroos.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Where were ya Airbag??
    Don't Leave again!!!

I've been lurking but not posting. Transfer windows usually turn into a mindfcuk around here so I said for my own sanity I would give it a miss this year as I am usually in the thick of the arguments when people go nuts over deals not getting done at lightspeed.

Given how quickly we have been doing business this summer and the quality of who has come in I'd be interested to see if people have revised their opinion on Woodward. Obviously he has no problem getting the deals done as long as the targets are set early on.

So will this be Rooney's last season at United?

I could see United next season offloading Rooney for Griezmann, with all going well we are back in the Champions League.
    I think Ed will make contact with his agent this summer about doing a deal next year, doesn't harm things that Griezmann is a United fan.
    He has to know that Antoine is a player that the vast majority of United fans desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Imagine if he signs. "It was always my dream to play for Manchester United"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

For followers of youth teams how does TFM compare to Pogba at 18.

I see massive hype for TFM but I haven't seen enough to judge myself.

He looked supremely confident last season playing out of position.

I've been lurking but not posting. Transfer windows usually turn into a mindfcuk around here so I said for my own sanity I would give it a miss this year as I am usually in the thick of the arguments when people go nuts over deals not getting done at lightspeed.

Given how quickly we have been doing business this summer and the quality of who has come in I'd be interested to see if people have revised their opinion on Woodward. Obviously he has no problem getting the deals done as long as the targets are set early on.

I always supported him, I think it was the managers letting Woodward down, rather than Woodward letting the managers down.
    There has been pursuit of megastars in the game, but I think it would be worse if he didn't try.
    Ed and Jose look like the right combination at last.

Ed also has done a great job making it possible for United to be able to spend obscene amounts of money, and not have the club in trouble for breaching FFP rules.
    So his detractors should STFU, I don't normally curse but that just sums up what I think.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Clearly not familiar with Toni Kroos.....

I would say you aren't familiar. Find me evidence of a match where he ran the show and wasn't part of a 3 man midfield against reputable opposition?

He was in a 3 last night and was effective. Same for the 2014 World Cup.
    Any big Real Madrid game, he is part of a 3 man midfield. They played Barca last season with him and I think Modric in a 2 and were beaten 4-0.

He's a fantastic player and I'd love to sign him if we were to play a 4-3-3 but can't see that happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Pogba

Meh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

the way i see our transfer window so far is like a poker game, we got a pair of aces with an ace on the board, waiting on the river card to be turned, 4 aces is very rare in poker, expect to be disappointed over pogba deal but still win the hand

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement