Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Regardless of how the Pogba situation plays out, it seems to be win, win.

If we get him:
    • then great, we've got an amazingly talented player with his best days ahead of him.
    • we'll have outmuscled Real Madrid financially and beaten them in a head to head race for a genuinely great talent

If we don't get him:
    • Then we clearly have money and are willing to spend it freely.
    • I don't believe Mourinho will settle for the club failing to add to the squad, especially after going public about identifying 4 signings we needed, so we can still expect further additions reasonably soon
    • I completely trust Mourinho's ability to identify another player who can improve us a lot, if he hasn't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

That's been happening since at least the early 90s.

What's actually more disgusting is people expecting things of professional footballers that they wouldn't expect of themselves, like changing jobs for more money is seen as some kind of mortal sin for a footballer, but normal behaviour for any one of us on here.

Football players are not fans. They are doing a job, and want to get paid the most they can for that.

Trying to project the emotional attachment that you have to your club on to it's employees is weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It's been happening for years do you think Pele and best moved to new York for the love of the clubs. In the late 80s and early 90s players risked there lives playing in columbia for drug money it's always been the same.

Problem now is social media and general media make it worse by sensationalising everything they make fans believe there is something wrong with a player going on holiday after been knocked out of a tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

What's actually more disgusting is people expecting things of professional footballers that they wouldn't expect of themselves, like changing jobs for more money is seen as some kind of mortal sin for a footballer, but normal behaviour for any one of us on here.

Football players are not fans. They are doing a job, and want to get paid the most they can for that.

Trying to project the emotional attachment that you have to your club on to it's employees is weird.

This. Its easy to sit here and ask for loyalty to your club, but when it's you and your life and someone is offering you and extra 200k on top of your 100k a week salary, I don't think many of us would turn it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It's getting on my nerves how money oriented football is becoming. The fact that players are only wanting transfers for the sake of money and luxuries rather than feeling emotionally attracted to clubs because of their history, their achievements and their stories is pretty disgusting imo.

For example, the only reason any decent European player is moving to China is because of the high wages they offer. They probably never even heard of the clubs there, never mind their history and their achievements.

Look at some young players in the game: Sterling and Memphis for example. Both earning big bucks, love to boast their luxuries but offer very little on the pitch to the point where sometimes you wonder if they really care about the club.

Ryan Giggs talked a bit about this problem during his punditry and I think it is a big issue in today's game.

This is a problem that was long foretold before it came to pass, and would to me be a pretty obvious thing. And its not the players fault.

In the arms race of stockpiling youngsters, and buying "potential" to bear fruits in years down the line, clubs started on the path of paying astronomical money to players at an early age, to entice them to their club, as opposed to opponents. It's not too disimilar then what happens in loads of other markets where companies want to stockpile or take things from competitors. Happens in IT all the time, especially in the states where the next hot thing of the production line gets bought up by a bigger company, just so no one else can have it.

What we need to remember in all of this, is that players are people. Real humans. Not machines, not commodities, not assets. Actual people. And in the arms race for talent, scouting has expanded from domestic to be global and all conquering.

So of course there is a diminished of players being really "true" to a club. Sure it happens from time to time, but most often then not it feels fake anyway. Like you only have to read about Memphis and his upbringing, and it makes perfect sense why he would maximise his income to look after himself and his mother and family. You read about Zlatan, and it hits you as well.

The stereotype and the background of predominantly English players being from council estates, or poverty backgrounds etc., simply pales in comparison these days to the foreign imports of players that come in, that have gone through real hardship and in some cases harrowing experiences.

What is utterly annoying in all of this(and this isn't directed at OP) is fans making these points, and these feeble arguments, as if they wouldn't do the exact same thing themselves.

Like lets take Memphis as a specific example. Why in the lord of ****, would a 20 odd year old Dutch footballer, who has experienced a traumatic family life, who grew up with his grandfather bringing him to games in Holland and talking about all the great Dutch players, give a flying **** about United.....

I don't understand why people get so worked up about this. Ronaldo is a perfect case. Most United fans still love him, wish him the best. For some reason he has turned into a spite figure in this Euro's, even last night coming off commentator making some weird comment on "there might well be lots of people enjoying this". Except United fans, we all love him. He talks great about the club, he gives Fergie a hug every now and then, and talks about the wonderful time he had at United.

All the while, uses those words to get himself bumper new contracts. To whip up a storm about maybe returning. And you lap it up, we all love it. We all hope. Completely forgetting, that he engineered his own move away from the club to play for Madrid, the club HE truely loved growing up.

It is one of the most mysterious and unusual things that fans continue to bang on about, that has absolutely no detachment in reality, in regards what is happening.

The point is totally sound albeit. If you provide a 19 year old 100k a week, where is the incentive to get better, or improve. Well fair play to the club who eventually takes that stance, although I've a feeling that we won't see one soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

'I'm not humble when I talk about targets, I'm quite aggressive on that,' Mourinho said. 'I want everything and everything is to win matches, play well, score goals, don't concede goals… everything. I want everything.

'I know that we are speaking about a hypothetical situation which is very difficult to reach but I want everything.'

'If you look at the Euros and you see what Wales have done and what Iceland did, I think football is changing,' Mourinho added.

'It's not just about the amazing economic situation that every club in the Premier League has now, which allows them to buy well and buy expensive and good players to compete for the biggest prizes.

'It's not just about that, it's also about training methods, preparation and mental preparation, and also nobody is afraid of anybody.

'In the past you could smash opponents, if you were one of the best teams, 5-0 or 6-0 and win 10-15 matches in a row. I think these times are over and fewer points will win the title. Even with a handful of defeats you can be champions because the profile of the competition has changed.'

'I love the early kick-off,' he said. 'I love to wake up early in the morning, go for breakfast, go to the bus, go to the game, play the game and win if it's possible and go home and that's it - game over.

'I don't like to wait for matches. In my time in Spain [at Real Madrid] I had some matches where we played at 10pm and I had one Super Cup match against Barcelona which started one day and didn't finish until the next day! I hate this.'

How come every time I read a quote from Jose,I do it in his accent in my mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

True, there's no doubt about that but they gotta earn that money. I feel sick everytime I hear how much Rooney is earning for what he does. And it's not like once players retire, they just sit on their bums and watch tv for the rest of their lives. They usually pursue other career paths - coaching, punditry, analysts or even business ( Beckham, Ronaldo)

And yet it is Rooney that gets the stick over this. Like he put a gun to the clubs head. Like Woodward and Moyes had no choice. Ferguson gave them an out there, that they were too stupid to take.

I wonder would you feel so sick if you said to your boss to triple your salary or you walk, and they said yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

zerks wrote: »
    'I'm not humble when I talk about targets, I'm quite aggressive on that,' Mourinho said. 'I want everything and everything is to win matches, play well, score goals, don't concede goals… everything. I want everything.

'I know that we are speaking about a hypothetical situation which is very difficult to reach but I want everything.'

'If you look at the Euros and you see what Wales have done and what Iceland did, I think football is changing,' Mourinho added.

'It's not just about the amazing economic situation that every club in the Premier League has now, which allows them to buy well and buy expensive and good players to compete for the biggest prizes.

'It's not just about that, it's also about training methods, preparation and mental preparation, and also nobody is afraid of anybody.

'In the past you could smash opponents, if you were one of the best teams, 5-0 or 6-0 and win 10-15 matches in a row. I think these times are over and fewer points will win the title. Even with a handful of defeats you can be champions because the profile of the competition has changed.'

'I love the early kick-off,' he said. 'I love to wake up early in the morning, go for breakfast, go to the bus, go to the game, play the game and win if it's possible and go home and that's it - game over.

'I don't like to wait for matches. In my time in Spain [at Real Madrid] I had some matches where we played at 10pm and I had one Super Cup match against Barcelona which started one day and didn't finish until the next day! I hate this.'

How come every time I read a quote from Jose,I do it in his accent in my mind?

Or Gift Grub Jose's voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Excellent post. Couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads started a new job today
    Did I miss anything??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Balague is adamant that Pogba will move to United.
    Petit says United should have offered £100 million to Barcelona for Suarez.

https://twitter.com/dmf180593/status/752564230918897664

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Petit's obviously been out of England a looooooong time

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Paul from Luxembourg on the Paddy Crerand show has said United should put up a statue to Ed Woodward for having United's finances so good we are too big for Qatar to invest in. Paul claimed that Qatar refers to PSG as Qatar's club and he was told that united were too big to invest in.

I would feel sick if Qatar had any involvement in United.

Pique to return to United is a rumour it seems going by the MUTV that is gaining traction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

brinty wrote: »
    Lads started a new job today
    Did I miss anything??

Oh boy there was a big water fight between all the women of the United thread, can't believe ya missed it man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Oh boy there was a big water fight between all the women of the United thread, can't believe ya missed it man.

Future Gal has cracking boobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

What??????
    Why was I not informed about this
    Future Gal has cracking boobs.

We all <3 FutureGal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

RobertKK wrote: »
    Paul from Luxembourg on the Paddy Crerand show has said United should put up a statue to Ed Woodward for having United's finances so good we are too big for Qatar to invest in. Paul claimed that Qatar refers to PSG as Qatar's club and he was told that united were too big to invest in.

I would feel sick if Qatar had any involvement in United.

Pique to return to United is a rumour it seems going by the MUTV that is gaining traction.
    I'd love Pique to return. Can't see it happening tho where's it coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Why would Pique leave Barca? First choice centre half at his hometown club and one of the best team's in the world. No chance he'd leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Hmm Pique is good but would rather a young CB such as Varane (dream signing but never happening this summer), Laporte, Stones (at lower than 40m quoted otherwise scratch him off).

I'd take Pepe for being a kant. We need more kants. In before Kante.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The pique thing is just the "I want a new contract ploy" he's 29/30 now so using us and probably city to get a bumper 4/5 deal with a raise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

MrMac84 wrote: »
    The pique thing is just the "I want a new contract ploy" he's 29/30 now so using us and probably city to get a bumper 4/5 deal with a raise!
    A player using us to gain a new contract? What is this blasphemy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I see pelle has gone to China as well, I'd say there has been numerous bids for Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I'd love Pique to return. Can't see it happening tho where's it coming from?

It was a bollox story that Ladbrokes made up and The Sun Quoted

Ladbrokes dropped the price from 16/1 to 8/1

its just a madeup headline

This is actually The Sun's source
    Ladbrokes News’ Dave Burin said: “It might not be just Pogba returning to familiar surroundings at United this summer, with the Red Devils now favourites to pluck Pique from Barca.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Just need Rossi back to complete the set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Said it before, not that it's going to happen, Pique back? No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Hococop wrote: »
    I see pelle has gone to China as well, I'd say there has been numerous bids for Rooney

Cash in I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Cash in I'd say

Just can't see a way Rooney would move to China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Probably in the minority then, but Pique returning would not get me excited in any way shape or form, a very overrated defender now and then

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

“There are one or two football agents I do not like and Mino Raiola is one of them,” Ferguson said last year. “I distrusted him from the moment I met him.” Pogba was 18 when Manchester United found that Raiola had appeared on the scene and, as Ferguson viewed it, “been able to ingratiate himself with Paul and his family.”

From the Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Discodog wrote: »
    “There are one or two football agents I do not like and Mino Raiola is one of them,” Ferguson said last year. “I distrusted him from the moment I met him.” Pogba was 18 when Manchester United found that Raiola had appeared on the scene and, as Ferguson viewed it, “been able to ingratiate himself with Paul and his family.”

From the Independent

I'd believe that, every time I see a pic of him all I think of is mafia/sopranos ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Hello hayley :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

markc91 wrote: »
    Hello hayley :O

Wasn't much of a Hayley man till I saw this, jee whizz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

A bit OT but...
    Graziano Pelle's move from Southampton to Chinese side Shandong Luneng has made the 30-year-old striker the sixth-best paid player in the world on £260,000 a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

RobertKK wrote: »
    Pepe also turned back to shake Fergie's hand.

Then he took a dive, pretending SAF elbowed him in the face....:pac:

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    There are one or two football agents I do not like and Mino Raiola is one of them,” Ferguson said last year. “I distrusted him from the moment I met him.” Pogba was 18 when Manchester United found that Raiola had appeared on the scene and, as Ferguson viewed it, “been able to ingratiate himself with Paul and his family.”

From the Independent

Another has to be Paul Stretford!

Poor Fergie. €25m to Raiola or anything like it will annoy some of us fans, but it will crush SAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

The more you see the 100mill price, for a player that will almost certainly end up at Madrid in about 3 years time..

Couldn't help but think that getting Kante and Kroos would be so much better value imo. I think both could be prized away.

While I'm sure Madrid hold Kroos in high regard, just get the feeling they aren't completely against the idea of him leaving.. No real affinity towards him kinda thing..

Would love to test their resolve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Thecon21 wrote: »
    The more you see the 100mill price, for a player that will almost certainly end up at Madrid in about 3 years time..

Couldn't help but think that getting Kante and Kroos would be so much better value imo. I think both could be prized away.

While I'm sure Madrid hold Kroos in high regard, just get the feeling they aren't completely against the idea of him leaving.. No real affinity towards him kinda thing..

Would love to test their resolve

I think Woodward wants this deal. Like he wants to do a huge deal for Utd in the way he's allegedly chased Ronaldo and Neymar in recent windows.

But the more I think if this, the more I think it's wrong. In no particular order, these are the reasons I'm skeptical about it being a good idea.

1: left club on free
    2: dodgy agent
    3: mostly proven in Italy with a club that walk the league
    4: not really a game changer
    5: prepared to drop out of CL to join club that to be honest has been a bit of a mess for a few seasons
    6: fairly poo poo in the euros

gosplan wrote: »
    5: prepared to drop out of CL to join club that to be honest has been a bit of a mess for a few seasons

Wait...what?

Should United not be signing any players from clubs currently in the CL then?

I'm sure Zlatan could get a game at many, many CL clubs. Is his signing questionable?

What about Bailly? He is also dropping out of the CL, United shouldn't have bothered with this unambitious clown.

Also, your comment about Pogba's Euro 16 performances needs to be tenpered by a comment about the way Deschamps used him in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It seems many on here want to simply gloss over the Euros as an aberration for Pogba.

But aren't the great players the ones that do step up when required? When the pressure was really on, not the cakewalk of the Italian league, he was awful. Remember he plays in front of the strongest back four and keeper in Italy, possibly one of the best in the world. They could probably play 5 v 11 and still hold out. He simply has no pressure on him to defend. That will not be the case in MU. Yes it appears that he was played out of position and Deschamps will take the brunt of it, but look at his play again.

His passes were sloppy, he didn't appear to be demanding the ball, he was running around within actually ever 'being' anywhere. Now the last part you can put down to tactical confusion due to the manager but the sloppy passes, the lack of drive?

MU need to get back into the CL this year, is Pogba the best man to make sure that happens? I think it is clear that he has talent and could become a star in the future, but we have had the last few seasons full of stars not quite on their game and look at where that got us.

We already have plenty of go forward guys in the team which if used properly can be a match for anything in the league. Zlatan, Rashford, Marital, Mata, Rooney, Memphis, Herrera. If playing to their potential attacking should not be the problem. What we need is a strong, commanding midfield. A Keane like player, who yes can create and score when required but whose main job to is cement the team, to give it a clear structure and balance.

Pogba seems to be more in line with a Scholes type forward thinking midfielder. Nothing wrong with that, but is it really what we need?

• Advertisement

Wait...what?

Should United not be signing any players from clubs currently in the CL then?

I'm sure Zlatan could get a game at many, many CL clubs. Is his signing questionable?

What about Bailly? He is also dropping out of the CL, United shouldn't have bothered with this unambitious clown.

Also, your comment about Pogba's Euro 16 performances needs to be tenpered by a comment about the way Deschamps used him in the team.

1: strawman

2: he's always played there for France and it wasn't an issue in the warm up victories over Netherlands, Russia or Scotland. Pogba had a poor tournament. Blaming Deschamps for a slight positional change highlights the fact that he probably isn't as influential as people make him out to be based on his Juve performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I think Woodward wants this deal. Like he wants to do a huge deal for Utd in the way he's allegedly chased Ronaldo and Neymar in recent windows.

But the more I think if this, the more I think it's wrong. In no particular order, these are the reasons I'm skeptical about it being a good idea.

1: left club on free
    2: dodgy agent
    3: mostly proven in Italy with a club that walk the league
    4: not really a game changer
    6: fairly poo poo in the euros

Are you an adult?

An Arsenal fan concerned about United spending big money and chasing big names is hilarious tbh. Wenger has really done a number on some people.

An Arsenal fan concerned about United spending big money and chasing big names is hilarious tbh. Wenger has really done a number on some people.

:D

1: strawman

So why does it apply to Pogba and not Zlatan or Bailly?

I'm really curious about that, or is it that you're talking "poo poo" and not able to come up with a convincing reason for saying that about Pogba, but not the other players, especially Bailly.

Stop getting so defensive guys. I've posted here saying that if Its have the money (200 million a year) then what difference does it make. I'm now leaning towards the 'money better spent elsewhere/mightn't be all that' side of the argument for the reasons I stated.

Zlatan wants his wages paid ft one more year and has won everything. Utd fine there. Name another club that were looking to pay him enough.

Bailey is on the rise and can become a mainstay of the Utd defence for years to come.

Pogba is young, winning titles and at a club that goes far in the CL.

He unlike the other two can really go where he wants. That's the difference.

You bring Arsenal into it, assuming that my support for them colours everything I say. Says more about you tbh.

Anyway, if a player wants to come to Arsenal, then it's clear to me that says a lot about their options at the time and their ambition as a player.

To pretend that no such logic applies to Utd is silly.

Now I know that boards is usually a row vrs Liverpool fans for many of you but try to go beyond the party line/slag each other's team thing. It's pointless.

Stop getting so defensive guys. I've posted here saying that if Its have the money (200 million a year) then what difference does it make. I'm now leaning towards the 'money better spent elsewhere/mightn't be all that' side of the argument for the reasons I stated.

Zlatan wants his wages paid ft one more year and has won everything. Utd fine there. Name another club that were looking to pay him enough.

Bailey is on the rise and can become a mainstay of the Utd defence for years to come.

You bring Arsenal into it, assuming that my support for them colours everything I say. Says more about you tbh.

Anyway, if a player wants to come to Arsenal, then it's clear to me that says a lot about their options at the time and their ambition as a player.

Now I know that boards is usually a row vrs Liverpool fans for many of you but try to go beyond the party line/slag each other's team thing. It's pointless.

Meh. I don't believe your concerns to be genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Do you need a hug?

I never even mentioned Arsenal, didn't even know you were an Arsenal fan tbh.

Don't care either, your opinion is silly either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Sure why wouldn't any player wanna sign for United over arsenal?? Ah it's because arsenal havq zzz ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ zzz

Oh sorry champions league.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement