Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I never even mentioned Arsenal, didn't even know you were an Arsenal fan tbh.

Don't care either, your opinion is silly either way.

Ha ha. Look back on the last page there and see what you quoted and gave a smiley face to.

Post, not poster guys.

Asking me am I an adult, calling me silly, acting like Arsenal have ANYTHING to do with it is all a bit OT.

To me Pogba's past with Utd, his agent's actions and so on signify to me that his primary concern is probably getting paid a lot of money.

While that's understandable, it may mean that you're better off spending yours elsewhere.

Though as said, if you're looking at 200 million per season, then who cares how it turns out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

gosplan wrote: »
    Post, not poster guys.

Asking me am I an adult, calling me silly, acting like Arsenal have ANYTHING to do with it is all a bit OT.

To me Pogba's past with Utd, his agent's actions and so on signify to me that his primary concern is probably getting paid a lot of money.

While that's understandable, it may mean that you're better off spending yours elsewhere.

Though as said, if you're looking at 200 million per season, then who cares how it turns out?

Ah dude it's harmless banter no offense meant.

Maybe the money could be better spent elsewhere but he is an absolute brilliant player.

Martial and pogba are two of hottest prospects in world football and hopefully they will play for us... fantastic stuff and exciting times ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Ah dude it's harmless banter no offense meant.

Maybe the money could be better spent elsewhere but he

Martial and pogba are two of hottest prospects in world football and they play for us... fantastic stuff and exciting times ahead

Have I missed something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Post, not poster guys.

Its obvious Pogba is an excellent player.

He is not worth £100m however if we are to sign him then there are 3 potential outcomes as I see it.

1) he develops to the next level and becomes a genuine top tier star like Ronaldo or Messi. At that point Madrid will come in for him and we will at least recoup our outlay.

2) he doesn't quite hit those heights and Madrid dont come calling so we end up with a very good player that could be part of our team for the next decade.

3) he turns into a Ballotelli type player and completely goes to pot.

Options one and two are the most likely with option three being possible but based on his development to date unlikely.

Like I said, £100m is too much for him but as a calculated gamble its worth it. The marketing potential alone will be astronomical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pogba at 100million makes more sense, imo, than Martial at 60+million, and I am delighted Martial is a United player.

Its obvious Pogba is an excellent player.

He is not worth £100m however if we are to sign him then there are 3 potential outcomes as I see it.

1) he develops to the next level and becomes a genuine top tier star like Ronaldo or Messi. At that point Madrid will come in for him and we will at least recoup our outlay.

2) he doesn't quite hit those heights and Madrid dont come calling so we end up with a very good player that could be part of our team for the next decade.

3) he turns into a Ballotelli type player and completely goes to pot.

Options one and two are the most likely with option three being possible but based on his development to date unlikely.

Like I said, £100m is too much for him but as a calculated gamble its worth it. The marketing potential alone will be astronomical.

That's very true. Marketing with him will be massive.

More than anything, what makes me err to the side it could all work out brilliantly is Mourinho. If he's sanctioning this and thinks he's the player to do what Lampard kind of did for Chelsea than I think Jose's probably going to be proven correct.

On the other hand I just think that at the age he was at, he was at the biggest club in the biggest league with the biggest manager in the world. He left for money IMO. That's what makes me think Kante plus Matuidi would be a much better option.

Like Ibra has always gone towards money but he's been amazing all throughout his career. His application is without question.

But someone like Flamini was the best DM for a season in France, then left for a free payday, did nothing at Arsenal, then transformed into the league's best DM for a season before he left on a free for another payday, then did nothing at Milan, then played brilliantly again till he got another contract at Arsenal, then went back to doing nothing.

But as I keep saying, the finances of Utd are so nuts that it doesn't really matter long term.

More than anything, what makes me err to the side it could all work out brilliantly is Mourinho. If he's sanctioning this and thinks he's the player to do what Lampard kind of did for Chelsea than I think Jose's probably going to be proven correct.

On the other hand I just think that at the age he was at, he was at the biggest club in the biggest league with the biggest manager in the world. He left for money IMO. That's what makes me think Kante plus Matuidi would be a much better option.

But as I keep saying, the finances of Utd are so nuts that it doesn't really matter long term.

I think money was part of why he left United, but getting fect all game time and seeing Rafael and Park start in central midfield had its part to play too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It's widely known that he left for playing time, he thought that he was good enough to play for the first team at the time but SAF disagreed. So he moved to a team that was telling him he would play on the centre stage.

Why does this "he left for money" keep popping up.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    It's widely known that he left for playing time, he thought that he was good enough to play for the first team at the time but SAF disagreed. So he moved to a team that was telling him he would play on the centre stage.

But if you were leaving for money, you'd have to say something.

I'd say his agent had his ear from day 1. SAF's comments seem to say as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Was also reported that he signed for juve for less money then united were offering, quite the popular jeer thrown by opposition fans at the time.

Is pogba worth 100million? Course not, does he hold an undying love and desire to play for the club most likely not, he would certainly improve the options and if mourinho would sanction it I am inclined to put my trust in that.

Apparently he is considered the next most marketable player after messi and ronaldo and though the financial cost seems huge it is something they can afford quite comfortably and will surely make plenty back off him during his time at the club. Even his resale value is likely to be very good considering his age even if you dont get back what was initially paid if it doesn't work out. If he wants to go to madrid or whoever in a couple of years the fee will most certainly be more then whats paid now

Id like him in the team, though he is certainly not the only midfielder we could sign that would improve us, if he comes great, if not fine just dont let it drag on.

Get a squad mourinho is happy with asap and get them.all working together asap.

Mournho has said as much himself, business done earky, no last minute scrambles

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

so what if he left for money?

why is that relevant?

should he not have wanted to get paid more?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Have I missed something :D

Even my ninja edit wasn't quick enough...

You heard it here first DARK-KNIGHT ITK :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

For me, Pogba was a disappointment during the European Championships and during the final, it was even worse. Regardless of where or what Deschamps wanted him to do during the game or the tournament. Playing in what could possibly be the biggest game of his career, I saw nothing that excited me or reminded me of the young kid who once played at United. That said, he is undoubtedly talented and if Jose wants to build a midfield around him then so be it. I'd also have more faith in him utilising Pogba's abilities more effectively, than what Deschamps did for France. But if Pogba's agent is playing games and stringing us along, then I'd prefer if we just moved on to Plan B. Preseason is around the corner and Jose likes to get his players early to mold them together. Now it would be nice to bring back a player that should have never been allowed to leave in the first place. But if it doesn't happen, then I won't lose any sleep over it.

he was too distracted by the prospects of returning to the theatre of dreams to even think about performing in some two-bob tournament

hopefully he retires from "international" football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I do get that people have questions about Pogba and his performance in the Euros but it really isnt a good way to judge a player.

Is Muller suddenly not a top player? Did Zlatan really contribute anything to the tournament? Is Kane suddenly not a good player?

Hell, if we were to base our opinions on the tournament then Sissoko is the one worth £100 million and he has been a pile of ****e for Newcastle.

adox wrote: »
    I do get that people have questions about Pogba and his performance in the Euros but it really isnt a good way to judge a player.

Is Muller suddenly not a top player? Did Zlatan really contribute anything to the tournament? Is Kane suddenly not a good player?

Hell, if we were to base our opinions on the tournament the Sissoko is the one worth £100 million and he has been a pile of ****e for Newcastle.

it's a good way for rival fans to get cheap digs in though, so shut up with your sensible nonsense would you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

he was too distracted by the prospects of returning to the theatre of dreams to even think about performing in some two-bob tournament

hopefully he retires from "international" football

Who was? Haha

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Who was? Haha

Pogba!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

For Pogba the choice is simple- stay at Juve or return to United.
    Seems Zidane has failed to convince Real Madrid to pursue him, seen claims that a certain someone is not a fan of dark skinned players which is a big claim to make.
    I think Pogba returns to United.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

MEN saying a decision could be made on Friday I really hope it is the constant debate is getting old now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    MEN saying a decision could be made on Friday I really hope it is the constant debate is getting old now.

Well the team head off on the Tour next week don't they so I can't see Jose hanging about with it.. if he wants to string us along then move on to the next target. Im sure they have all the bases covered

Well the team head off on the Tour next week don't they so I can't see Jose hanging about with it.. if he wants to string us along then move on to the next target. Im sure they have all the bases covered

Yeah exactly. Ha I still can't believe it's pre season already it seems like a few days ago we had lvg telling us our expectations were too high.

It does seem that our fa cup triumph has been overshadowed by everything also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Never mind the debate, for the sake of the squad I think our business needs to wrap up before August. Mourinho has already mentioned that he will only be able to outline the high level stuff in pre-season, and it will be throughout the season where he is refining.

The Euros is an obvious disruption, but a happy Mourinho with the pre-season routine, and a squad settled and working, it really does make us title candidates.

I guess my concerns at the moment relating to the squad, is that we havn't "lost" any players. I know that sounds odd, but I cant help but feel there are a few players going, and it might be ideal to have them moved on early, so either replacements can be sought after, or there isn't some distractions hanging over peoples heads.

People keep bringing up lies like he left for money and that's purely to suit their own agendas. He left as he wanted more playing time guaranteed and with Rafael being played ahead of him in midfield he was dead right to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

People keep bringing up lies like he left for money and that's purely to suit their own agendas. He left as he wanted more playing time guaranteed and with Rafael being played ahead of him in midfield he was dead right to leave.

Well as usual, its not just ONE thing.

Yeah he wanted more playing time, and felt he should be starting in our midfield. I remember specifically at the time seeing him in league cup games, and being massively underwhelmed at his performances. So he just wasn't ready. Ferguson was preaching patience, and he just wasn't able to do so. That has come from both Ferguson and even Pogba himself.

And add onto that, his agent, on his behalf, was demanding ludicrous money. First team wages, for a player that actually couldn't break into the first team.

Considering the situation has been covered EXTENSIVELY its weird your saying "bringing up lies" to then go on and give inaccurate information

TheDoc wrote: »

I guess my concerns at the moment relating to the squad, is that we havn't "lost" any players. I know that sounds odd, but I cant help but feel there are a few players going, and it might be ideal to have them moved on early, so either replacements can be sought after, or there isn't some distractions hanging over peoples heads.

I don't think it would be right to get rid of first team members without giving a chance unless he just doesn't like a players attitude.

If jose came in now and got rid of the likes of mata or blind the squad would go mad for not giving a chance surely.

I don't think it would be right to get rid of first team members without giving a chance unless he just doesn't like a players attitude.

If jose came in now and got rid of the likes of mata or blind the squad would go mad for not giving a chance surely.
    On Mata - why would he need to give him a chance? He has worked with him before, he already know him.

Also, he will know the strengths and weaknesses of the United players already due to scouting that would have been done for games vs Chelsea. He will have also done his homework on them since Christmas, imo.

If he wants a relatively small squad, he will need to get rid of a number of players, and that will have to start soon. He doesn't have time to give them a chance - and giving players a chance is part of what got LVG and Moyes in a fecking mess.

On Mata - why would he need to give him a chance? He has worked with him before, he already know him.

Also, he will know the strengths and weaknesses of the United players already due to scouting that would have been done for games vs Chelsea. He will have also done his homework on them since Christmas, imo.

If he wants a relatively small squad, he will need to get rid of a number of players, and that will have to start soon. He doesn't have time to give them a chance - and giving players a chance is part of what got LVG and Moyes in a fecking mess.

I think moyes and lvg did it to the extremes tho they didn't seem to know where exactly they wanted to go with the squad.

I stand corrected so get them out sell sell sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Will people more readily accept a small squad if mourinho does it? As opposed to the reaction to lvg wanting it I mean. Jose doesn't like particularly big squads either, depends on results I suppose.

Hopefully the annual injury crisis gives us a break for a year making the smaller squad a little more doable

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Will people more readily accept a small squad if mourinho does it? As opposed to the reaction to lvg wanting it I mean. Jose doesn't like particularly big squads either, depends on results I suppose.

Hopefully the annual injury crisis gives us a break for a year making the smaller squad a little more doable

If we are in 4 competitions then yes we need a bigger squad than last year IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Well they'd want to sort it out proto. I want to see all new signings settled in to preseason and hit the ground running when the league begins plus of course be nice to see them close up in the Charity Shield. Did I say I'm going :)

Schweinsteiger again linked with a move to PSG.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/752860529769742336

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Never knew there was a points scale to obtaining a work permit for footballers.

The following explanation is from the excellent Daniel Geey football law website and details the first appeals hurdle.http://www.danielgeey.com/the-foreigner-debate-the-fas-new-work-permit-regulations-explained/

The value of the transfer fee being paid for the player is in the top 25% of all transfers to Premier League clubs in the previous 2 windows – 3 points

The value of the transfer fee being paid for the player is between the 50th and 75th% of all transfers to Premier League clubs in the previous 2 windows – 2 points

The wages being paid to the player by the applicant club is in the top 25% of the top 30 earners at the club – 3 points

The wages being paid to the player by the applicant club are between the 50th and 75th% of all the top 30 earners at the club – 2 points

The player’s current club is in a Top League and the player has played in 30% or more of the available domestic league minutes – 1 point

The player’s current club has played in the group stages or onwards of the Champions League, Europa League or the Copa Libertadores within the last 12 months and the player has played in 30% or more of the available domestic league minutes – 1 point

4 points can be enough to see a player through.

RobertKK wrote: »

He just got married.

article-3686157-36318CBC00000578-994_964x411.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

RobertKK wrote: »

Still crazy to think he's a United player dream signing for many years, Shame we didn't get him at his peak he was some player still think he's got something to offer and Mourinho will probaly want his experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

zerks wrote: »
    He just got married.

You'd think he would've asked her lay off the heels for the day! He looks so short in comparison to her :D Schweini is looking sharp all the same;) He's no Daley Bind though!

Edit: He also could've put a tie on!

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Still crazy to think he's a United player dream signing for many years, Shame we didn't get him at his peak he was some player still think he's got something to offer and Mourinho will probaly want his experience.

Maybe we replace Schweinsteiger with Matuidi, maybe Ana Ivanovic wants to live in Paris over Manchester???

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    He just got married.

Their babies will be beautiful! :)

Rooney:

“It’s an exciting time for Manchester United.

“I’ve always respected him both as a man and a manager, he’s a nice guy and one of the most successful managers of all time.

“I like to think I’m always motivated as a player but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit more motivated when a new manager comes in.

“I’m sure all the lads will be happy to be working under Jose and also eager to impress.”

Didn't he say the same when LVG joined and then stunk the joint out 99% of the time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Their babies will be beautiful! :)

Why? Schwein is wretchet looking. Anna's average too(better looking that bastian though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Mec27 wrote: »
    Why? Schwein is wretchet looking. Anna's average too(better looking that bastian though)

Get out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

national_treasure_tropic_thunder.gif

Harsh. He looks very distinguished! I think he's quite handsome :o

• Advertisement

• Harsh. He looks very distinguished! I think he's quite handsome :o

article-2029180-0C46EAF600000578-152_468x504.jpg

He's no brinty tho...

Happy 21st Luke Shaw.

Hopefully this season works out better for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Sounds to me as if Pogba wants Madrid but doesn't know whether to hold out at Juve until they come again or go to United.

This source is my living room by the way so may or may not be correct.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    article-2029180-0C46EAF600000578-152_468x504.jpg

He's no brinty tho...

Well who is? :D I wonder what brinty thinks of Mrs Schweini? :pac:

Jesus nearly forgot Luke Shaw savage player...... exciting season ahead

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement