Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Thibus

I think Blind is an excellent squad option and wouldn't like to see him go.
    Fellaini I wouldn't be bothered if he stayed or was sold

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

brinty wrote: »
    Daley and depay are van gaals Fellaini

Very few people have much good to say and want them sold...

I must be in the minority so.

I want them both to stay. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I know it's early doors both in terms of the pre season and indeed the career of Memphis but watching him today was like last season all over again. His decision making and end product are not what it should be considering his supposed ability. I am starting to wonder for all his physical attributes and footballing talent if he just isn't lacking in the football intelligence part of the game.

Plenty of examples of players who had all the talent in the world but not the football brain and lacked the smarts and their careers suffered. Players also who may not have had the physical prowess but great football minds that allowed them to play at a high level. Paul McGrath, Sheringham, LeTissier all good examples. The greatest, Messi, Ronaldo and many more were true world beaters as they married both the physical ability and a great football mind.

Not saying Memphis is a dumb as a rock (yet) but he needs to sort his **** out and develop that side of his game which hopefully will come with time and maturity. How much time Jose will afford him is anyone's guess but he won't have an Anderson carte blanche type deal that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Adamocovic wrote: »

Me too. Blind is one of our best passers and could be an excellent dm.

Memphis has all the ability in the world just lacks confidence at the moment and someone like jose to tell him how great he is could turn him around

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

On the Memphis debate if people follow him on social media during the break he's uploaded videos of himself training and preparing for the new season. He's aware that last season he didn't live up to expectations and knows he has a point to prove. He's said as much.

Now I don't understand people wanting to ditch him already. I would love to see how he performs this season. He's still only 22. I hope him and Shaw can have a successful partnership like we saw a glimpse of early last season.

I'm really interested in seeing how he does this year with Jose guiding and helping him, and I can't wait for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

jayo26 wrote: »
    Well that goes for everyone infairness doesn't it.

I think DDG could turn up fart, leave and he'd still be first name on the team sheet. The old Paul McGrath style training.

Working your ass off in pre season training and acknowling your shortcomings during the previous season and saying you want to improve is not something to applaud. It's something to expect, from any decent professional football player especially one at United. Proof will be when he crosses the white line on match day. Didn't happen for him today but hopefully he will improve. He annoys the fück out of me actually because I think if he gets his **** together he could really leave a legacy at this club in the tradition of our great wide attacking players and entertain a hell of a lot of people along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Don't know why anyone would want blind sold, technically an excellent player. Solid season last year as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Give Depay a chance.

To Base him on a season friendly against Wigan is just little mad Ted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Adamocovic wrote: »

I'll join the minority camp too so.

bangkok wrote: »
    Don't know why anyone would want blind sold, technically an excellent player. Solid season last year as well

Plus he fits into 3 or 4 positions. He's kinda Phil Neville/John O Shea 2016 version now, but only better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Who actually does want Blind sold? Who actually thinks our squad would be better absent such a versatile, solid, experienced performer?

Also, every pre-season in here people over-analyse the friendlies, but they simply don't matter one goddamn iota.

Give Depay a chance.

To Base him on a season friendly against Wigan is just little mad Ted

I think people are discussing him based on 30 or so games he has played for United which is fair enough. It's also fair enough to discuss how he played today also. Nobody not giving him a chance but he has a hell of a lot of improving to do. Be a bit mad not to acknowledge that, Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Strumms wrote: »
    I think people are discussing him based on 30 or so games he has played for United which is fair enough. It's also fair enough to discuss how he played today also. Nobody not giving him a chance but he has a hell of a lot of improving to do. Be a bit mad not to acknowledge that, Ted.

I think it would be moronic for anyone to be rating players on early pre season games, which are glorified training exercises.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think it would be moronic for anyone to be rating players on early pre season games, which are glorified training exercises.

I agree. Don't know who is rating players but many people in this thread commented on the game today and on certain players like how good Mikyteran looked and others too. Don't think that moronic really if indeed that is the implication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It was wonderful seeing Jose on the side lines today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Headshot wrote: »
    It was wonderful seeing Jose on the side lines today.

Someone to encourage and guide the players it was great and to see him telling pereira how well he had done coming off that chap has to be on cloud nine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Someone to encourage and guide the players it was great and to see him telling pereira how well he had done coming off that chap has to be on cloud nine.

Yup it was a great touch

It just such a nice change seeing emotion on the side lines for me as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Anywhere I'll be able to watch highlights of the game?

EDIT: Never mind, found it all on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Finally a manager to be trusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Seems American Airlines have done something to piss off David De Gea.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/754379592266375172?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Can we take a moment and commend Jose's vision to put Pereira as one of the holding midfielders (or a #6)? It worked excellently.

Top United talent who never got a chance under 'bring youth through LVG' and yet 'never gives youth a chance Mourinho' rates him highly.

Can we take a moment and commend Jose's vision to put Pereira as one of the holding midfielders (or a #6)? It worked excellently.

Top United talent who never got a chance under 'bring youth through LVG' and yet 'never gives youth a chance Mourinho' rates him highly.

Don't be basing anything on a pre season friendly. Pereira will be nowhere near holding midfielder this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lithium93_ wrote: »

LOL, American Airlines are utterly shocking. Delayed me 9 hours going to the US earlier in the year and then offered me $200 in compensation. Knowing full well that EU regulations mean they were obliged to pay me €600.

I did a fair bit of twitter shaming too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Don't be basing anything on a pre season friendly. Pereira will be nowhere near holding midfielder this season

It looked more as if he was playing the box to box role and Ander was sitting in the second half, and then Varela took over that role, it allowed Pereira to put his stamp on the game a bit more.

Can we take a moment and commend Jose's vision to put Pereira as one of the holding midfielders (or a #6)? It worked excellently. .

Not really that's actually his most natural position.

Lvg never gave him a chance in it he played him on wings and everything but most of his best games for United and Brazil were from deep.

Edit: I mean a natural box to box position more so then a straight out six.

DDG is right about American Airlines. I'd rather swim to states, if sharks or whales would not eat me first

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lithium93_ wrote: »

He is a bit late with his warning...I'm flying with American Airlines to Texas in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Flew with them a few months ago. Found them to be the same as most of the US airlines..... none of the internal flights are not very comfortable, I hate the way they riddle you with ad's, etc. No, I don't want to swipe my credit card in the back of someones seat.

Actually the main thing that stuck out about them is their safety demonstration video/song thing..... Jesus.....WTF were they thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

No proper in flight entertainment on a transatlantic flight is inexcusable these days. Just a big monitor on the roof with one film that everybody has to watch!

That and the snoring from the stewardess sleeping in the seats across the aisle from me was a bit irritating.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »

But......

I think we see very few players deliver under LVG. Not making excuses cause he was still poor, shocking even, but I still think he needs be given a chance with freedom Jose (most likely) will give him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I'm not too hopeful on Depay based on what I saw last season.

He can't beat a man one on one without someone like Shaw overlapping, I'm not really sure what the point is in a winger that can't beat a man ?

This was evident whether he played on left or right.

He can post as many treadmill pics as he likes but it prefer he did his talking on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I am 100% willing to give Memphis a shot this season as the LVG factor could well be mostly to blame. However, one aspect that has stayed with me is his attitude, I remember him not tracking back and just looking like he didn't care in a few games towards the end of the season. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was a confidence thing.

Re posting a couple of pictures on insta of him training (a treadmill pic and some ab crunches iirc) - to be honest I would expect 90% of players at this level to be doing similar over the summer, they may just not be posting about it on instagram, and perhaps in Memphis' case it might even be more for his aesthetic goals than with his football performance in mind.

Would love to see him do well obviously, just have reservations, but hopefully I'll be proved wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I think Depay's confidence was shot under LVG and like a lot of attacking wingers expected to beat a man etc he probably thrives on confidence. I reckon he was a bit hard done by aswell with this perception of his personality off the pitch, to me anyways. As far as I could see since he joined United, he seemed to show humility more than anything and behaved himself. His attitude on the pitch was poor at times but I'm hoping that was a confidence issue more than anything. This season will be last chance saloon for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Wow, so confidence means you can't track back? Means you can't beat a man with skill? I agree that confidence would stop you from reaching your top potential, but in many games last year he was one of the worst players on the pitch.

So basically even if he is having a good game all the other team have to do is tell him he is rubbish and he will fold!

He wasn't great yesterday, and normally pre-season counts for nothing, but even he must know that this is a second chance. With the Euro players still away it's a chance to get into the team. What is he waiting for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

These pre season games are very different. There are a bunch of players who are being given a chance to show the manager that they worth keeping. They are only playing for half a match & you would expect them to give 100%.

Leroy42 wrote:
    So basically even if he is having a good game all the other team have to do is tell him he is rubbish and he will fold!

That's not what I said I and I don't think that either. Of course it's not that simplistic but I'm sure most people would agree his confidence was shot last season.

Without their confidence, some players are nothing. I would say he's very much one of those players. Arm around the shoulder and some good man management from Jose might do the trick. Then again maybe not. Will be better to judge him after this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/754596195570515968

Initial contacts made by Manchester United for Fabinho .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Right lads,

Could we all agree to maybe give every player a fresh start under Jose as he is doing.

Yes Memphis was crap last season but has a chance to prove to Jose what he can do and if its not good enough he'll be shipped out. Jose won't hang around on it.

Same goes for Morgan, Fellaini, Mata and a few others..

Christ Nani (and others) were in the exact same boat loved and hated in equal measures, some people whinged when sold others said good riddance. He'd a great season in turkey and now with Valencia, some claimed he never should've been sold, others he never got a chance under LVG etc.. and others even suggested we bought him back

The lesson is you don't throw the baby out with the bath water...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

zerks wrote:
    Initial contacts made by Manchester United for Fabinho .

Zerks with breaking news story.

Loved this fabinho guy since reading the article from the great source that is .... always on the ball these guys..

Jayo what are his FM,FIFA & ProEvo stats looking like... is he a worldie....

Not sure why we would be after Fabinho, unless rojo is being sold and darmian will be playing on either side or cover for shaw left back

brinty wrote: »
    Zerks with breaking news story.

Loved this fabinho guy since reading the article from the great source that is .... always on the ball these guys..

Jayo what are his FM,FIFA & ProEvo stats looking like... is he a worldie....

It's all depends on what card we are buying pal. His standard card ain't much to look at but his team of the season card is excellent used it myself.

In seriousness Im with bangkok on this I wouldn't see the need for him I think it would put our younger full backs out of the team unless TFM is not seen as a full back.

It's all depends on what card we are buying pal. His standard card ain't much to look at but his team of the season card is excellent used it myself.

In seriousness Im with bangkok on this I wouldn't see the need for him I think it would put our younger full backs out of the team unless TFM is not seen as a full back.

Didn't Jose say TFM is better as a DM?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Not sure why we would be after Fabinho, unless rojo is being sold and darmian will be playing on either side or cover for shaw left back

Because none of our right backs are good enough. Wouldn't surprise me to see both Rojo and Darmian moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

zerks wrote: »

Would love to see him get a run of games as a DM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Would hope that TFM and Rashford get plenty of game time this season. A new RB would seriously affect TFM chances of games. I'd hope that we don't buy a RB. Maybe it's not his preferred position but he looks like a great prospect and I'd like to see him break through in a red shirt

zerks wrote: »

I don't know I didn't see that when did he say it?
    I'd agree with that tho it's his more natural position or as a center back but we're well stocked at center back for backup players.

ESPN claiming Matic could be sold for as little as £15 million,I reckon Jose will go for him at that price.

zerks wrote:
    ESPN claiming Matic could be sold for as little as £15 million,I reckon Jose will go for him at that price.

Definitely worth going for at that price. Especially with it probably being Carrick's last season and Schweinsteiger on his last legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Oops, Martial leaked the home kit before its launch haha.. look at the number in the picture.. it's not number 9.. looks like 29.

https://twitter.com/BeastFosuMensah/status/754585101720166401?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement