Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Adamocovic wrote: »
    so what then?

United should pay 50m for some sub standard player is it?

If it costs 120m to get the player Mou wants, then that's what the club pays.

It's not as if they can't bleedin afford it

The club is rich, the richest in the world, it's time it started acting like it in the transfer market - this is the start of it, blasting them f ckers in Madrid right out of the water on the biggest transfer of the summer.

Flex those muscles, show the world "it's motherf cking ON bitches".

The club can afford a transfer like this every damn summer.

Get the players in, get the trophies and leave the penny pinching to the has beens and have nots.

I understand I'm in the minority, and Pogba is a very good player but it's just how I feel. I think the money being thrown about for a man who not so long ago Alex Ferguson himself said showed no respect to the club and said he was quite happy he was leaving the club, is over the top and a gamble. Also hardly too many subpar midfielders being priced at 50million, very few have ever been sold for over that, De Bruyne comes to mind (just about over it).

It may not be to relevant to others but I just feel a little embarrassed that we are forking out way more money than we should be on a player who left us on the free and then one of the most highly respected individuals to be associated with our club comes out to criticise the players attitude. I know people can slag me and criticise my thinking on the matter but I just see it as an expensive risk on a player who's already walked out of the club once.
    Yeah, we're all going to have to get a second job, cut back on the steak dinners and flashy clothes :(

Obviously it doesn't affect us financially but at the same time I imagine people wouldn't want their club spending over the top money for a player just because the money is available. Or maybe I'm alone in that regard too.

Either way it's just how I feel about it and I can't see my mind changing.

If he joins fair enough, hopefully he gives it his all, shows respect to the club and performs well, but if he doesn't join I won't lose too much sleep over it.

Out of interest who would you sign instead and how much would you pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Re the tactics board - it definitely looks like Mata to me (& not just cos that's what I want it to say!)

Mata is by Rooney at #10 :D it would go along with the notion that Mourinho likes 2 first teamers for each position.. I seriously doubt Mourinho would play Mata in the 2 of a 4231

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I wouldn't classify it as a row, more-so the foundations that fergie instilled on the club for 26 years. No player is bigger than the club nor the manager, why should he change what has made him and United so successful to stroke the ego of a player who looked uninspiring in the games he played in the first team up until that time.

He always gave youth a chance, I have no doubt that if Pogba hung around he'd have been given his shot. Mind you, he may not be the player he is today without doing what he did, so it looks like it all worked out.

Now....I'm not saying what Fegie did was correct, but in his mind it was.

Didn't he play Rafael over Pogba in midfield? I can't blame him for leaving and United were crying out for a centre midfielder for years. I can't believe he never got a shot to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

SantryRed wrote: »
    Didn't he play Rafael over Pogba in midfield? I can't blame him for leaving and United were crying out for a centre midfielder for years. I can't believe he never got a shot to be honest.

He was 18 for crikey sake look at Pereira he should of been given a shot two year ago but he is still fighting and signed a new contract in middle of it all.

I don't blame pogba I blame the agent but I definitely don't blame Fergie for not letting an 18 year old dictate to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

astradave wrote: »
    Mata is by Rooney at #10 :D it would go along with the notion that Mourinho likes 2 first teamers for each position.. I seriously doubt Mourinho would play Mata in the 2 of a 4231

Ah jaysus dave, the heat is getting to me! I see Mata's name to the the left of centre circle?

Hopefully we'll find out about Pogba soon anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Ed Woodward has not flown to China, staying to seal the Pogba deal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Do I dare get excited about Pogba signing.

Headshot wrote: »
    Do I dare get excited about Pogba signing.

I will be surprised if he isn't a United player soon.

Too much money involved for it no to happen. Pogba in 2014 said he thinks of United every day.
    He really likes Juventus, but he wants United is how it looks to me.
    But I will only get excited when it is definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

jayo26 wrote: »
    He was 18 for crikey sake look at Pereira he should of been given a shot two year ago but he is still fighting and signed a new contract in middle of it all.

I don't blame pogba I blame the agent but I definitely don't blame Fergie for not letting an 18 year old dictate to him.

Re Pereira,he seems to have bulked up a bit over the summer,looks a lot stronger now,I reckon Jose will give him a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Ha I've been here long enough to know the "who would you buy instead so and how much would you pay" style of questions rarely lead to anywhere productive for either side of the argument.

I've made my opinion quite clear already, the price being mentioned (€120million) coupled with the concerns I have regarding his attitude are the reason I'm not over the moon like many here.

On the who else for what price, I'm not going to mention a specific player I would like because it's kind of pointless but rather look at the standard price range for quality midfielders such as Vidal, Kroos, Silva, Ozil, Rakitic, Martinez, Fabregas, Toure, Sanches, Alonso, Modric, Mata, Pjanic, Hazard, Turan, Gundogan, Matic, Krychowiak, Isco and nearly every midfielder in the history of football have gone for under €50million (bar De Bruyne,Zidane, Kaka and Rodriguez, none of which were more expensive than €75million).

There can be no questioning that we're being made to overpay for him considerably, the big debating point is whether or not he is worth the price tag. I acknowledge that on whether he is worth it or not I'm letting what I've heard about his attitude form too much of my opinion on this, theres no question he is talented.

If he does join us I hope he proves me wrong, plays a stormer and has a long career for us, but I can't help how I feel about the whole thing.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I will be surprised if he isn't a United player soon.

Too much money involved for it no to happen. Pogba in 2014 said he thinks of United every day.
    He really likes Juventus, but he wants United is how it looks to me.
    But I will only get excited when it is definite.

You do a **** job of not getting excited rob ;);)

Re Pereira,he seems to have bulked up a bit over the summer,looks a lot stronger now,I reckon Jose will give him a chance

Hopefully he will get a good chance the boyear deserves one he been talked about for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So, if Pogba does happen, what are peoples expectations for the season? Not hope, but expectation.

I would think with that squad that title is a clear target. Obviously nothing is ever guaranteed so the minimum must be that battling for title up until last week or two. TBH, last years squad was good enough to win the league if the manager had a clue what he was doing given that all the other top teams imploded or never got off the start line.

Would people be looking for any trophies? FA Cup, Europe league? Even Moyes managed to land the Charity Shield!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So, if Pogba does happen, what are peoples expectations for the season? Not hope, but expectation.

I would think with that squad that title is a clear target. Obviously nothing is ever guaranteed so the minimum must be that battling for title up until last week or two. TBH, last years squad was good enough to win the league if the manager had a clue what he was doing given that all the other top teams imploded or never got off the start line.

Would people be looking for any trophies? FA Cup, Europe league? Even Moyes managed to land the Charity Shield!

Title challenge and retain the FA Cup. Even though it isn't a big deal, with Mourinho and all the investment it would be a shame to give it up without a real fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

To be honest considering what Leicester done last season I think United should never again hope or expect for anything less than 1st place every season. Especially with the players available and the manager now in charge. If we don't win the title or at least be close come the last 5 games of the season then i'd be disappointed.

• Advertisement

You do a **** job of not getting excited rob ;);)

I love transfer rumours, but if they don't happen I just buy them for when I play FIFA as manager :pac:
    My current team just has one central midfielder.
    ---De Gea---
    Darmian-Stones-Laporte-Shaw
    Mata---Pogba---Neymar
    Muller----
    --Lewandowski--Griezmann--

I win easily. :p
    The other team is too busy defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Van.Bosch wrote: »

If we are going to spunk away some money why not offer Madrid £70/80 million for Kroos? You think they would turn down that much for him? Or £60/70 million for Varane? Both insane sums for a player but both would be better pieces of business to my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If United add Pogba they ought to expect to win the league IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Re the tactics board - it definitely looks like Mata to me (& not just cos that's what I want it to say!)

is mata not in the no 10 position below Rooney?

Midfield looks like Ander to me but after a minute or two your eyes just start making up words that arent there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Is that starting 1st and 2nd order for next season?

That's Mata's name ahead of Fellaini, Martial and Depay for left wing, looks like Rooney at 10 hard to make out the name under him

Rashford seems to be ahead of Ibra too, can't make out anything else other than Bailly 1 Blind 2, Shaw 1 Rojo 2

• Advertisement

I love transfer rumours, but if they don't happen I just buy them for when I play FIFA as manager :pac:
    My current team just has one central midfielder.
    ---De Gea---
    Darmian-Stones-Laporte-Shaw
    Mata---Pogba---Neymar
    Muller----
    --Lewandowski--Griezmann--

I win easily. :p
    The other team is too busy defending.

I just prefer to use the editor on football manager and become a dictator and transfer them all to my team for free ha.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Leroy42 wrote: »

I would think with that squad that title is a clear target.

It will be. Say what you want about Jose, he's built a team designed to go for the title, not just aim for a top 4 finish. But I'd imagine Jose himself will have a title challenge as his main aim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

What way do you see Utd lining up next season if Pogba signs?

I'd still be worried about midfield to be honest and wonder if Jose might sign a bargain holding midfielder if he gets Pogba. Despite the numbers I think we are weak there.

adox wrote: »
    What way do you see Utd lining up next season if Pogba signs?

I'd still be worried about midfield to be honest and wonder if Jose might sign a bargain holding midfielder if he gets Pogba. Despite the numbers I think we are weak there.

Matuidi?

Could see...
    Ibra
    Martial Rooney Mkhitaryan
    Pogba Matuidi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would not say no to Fabregas, either, if he was floating about

I know that won't be popular opinion with some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Schmidfield will be fine with Pogba playing the Lampard role in front, Miki on one wing and Martial on the other supporting the God of Manchester.

To rotate in and out of Schmidfield are Carrick, Fellaini, Ander, Blind, Perrera, TFM,

You also have the joy of playing Pogba in a 6 or 8 if needs be, Miki can play 10, Mata can play 10 or RW.

It may not be best midfield in world football but it is certainly adequate to meet the targets we have.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Matuidi?

Could see...
    Ibra
    Martial Rooney Mkhitaryan
    Pogba Matuidi

Pogba and matuidi would be a dream combo,already have an understanding at international level be great to replicate it at united

The United team got on a plane
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BIDCWQKgd1c/

Jose staged a grab his bags and walk out of the office
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BIC3at8g-sP/

Jessie stuck his tongue out
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BIDBKjUA1A9/

These two are back together
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BIDBJsIgv6j/

The team posed for big group photo on plane
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BIDCpTEB3Zt/

Donno ta fuk what to say here
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BIDeWuGjTJ3/

Mickie and adnan are good buddies
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BIDGG4LALdt/

Pic of me relaxing
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BIC86crALRc/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Pogba and matuidi would be a dream combo,already have an understanding at international level be great to replicate it at united

They were pretty bad as a pair for France actually. Neither suited to the role asked of them.

Blatter wrote: »
    They were pretty bad as a pair for France actually. Neither suited to the role asked of them.

They were good until he dropped Kante

• Advertisement

Just seen that cbj has a groin strain that's why he is not on tour and Varela and blackett are expected to leave United this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I can see who Fellaini is styling himself on...

6683631051_005ff01e7b_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Strumms wrote: »
    I can see who Fellaini is styling himself on...

6683631051_005ff01e7b_z.jpg

Uncanny.
    Fellaini should screw on his "not sh1t" head for next season.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

keane2097 wrote: »
    They were good until he dropped Kante

Dropping Kante was madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Flying by Aeroflop though, seriously is it that much more of an investment to just create a Manchester United airline?

Blatter wrote: »
    Dropping Kante was madness!

Yeah very bad

Korat wrote: »
    Flying by Aeroflop though, seriously is it that much more of an investment to just create a Manchester United airline?

Why should we invest and creat an airline when we can get them to invest in us :)

Why should we invest and creat an airline when we can't get them to invest in us :)

Man Utd creates routes and traffic so why share revenues with regular airlines?

The most lucrative routes are short haul to MAN around match days so like Thompson Holidays you can have seasonal flights on specific routes with leased aircraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Would not say no to Fabregas, either, if he was floating about

I know that won't be popular opinion with some

I would. Mercenary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Korat wrote: »
    Man Utd creates routes and traffic so why share revenues with regular airlines?

The most lucrative routes are short haul to MAN around match days so like Thompson Holidays you can have seasonal flights on specific routes with leased aircraft.

I do wonder how many airlines Manchester United can afford now. Malaysian Airlines could be had on the cheap. :pac:

The latest from Italy is Juventus have asked for €120 million for Pogba, and Pogba will be a United player....again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The latest from Italy is Juventus have asked for €120 million for Pogba, and Pogba will be a United player....again.

Twitter and Italian media all over this. Juve are matching this but seem resigned to the fact Pogba is leaving.

chupacabra wrote: »
    I do wonder how many airlines Manchester United can afford now. Malaysian Airlines could be had on the cheap. :pac:

Not enough Noodle exposure in that kind of deal for Ed.

DiMarizio saying United bid €101m and Juventus rejected. They want €120m and are ready to let him go cause Pogba has chosen Jose's project over their own.

• Blatter wrote: »

Depends on how well the roles are defined.
    They won't be playing side by side as 2x DMS under Jose

• Advertisement

Pay the ransom and get Pogba back.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Depends on how well the roles are defined.
    They won't be playing side by side as 2x DMS under Jose

This.. if the two of them were playing together under Jose id say Matuidi would be the main Defensive player and Pogba would be a box to box..

Deschamps had Pogba sitting behind the half way line and wouldnt let him move up where he can be devastating.. the fool. Damn fool

It's not just him in fairness.. every media outlet in Italy is supposedly reporting that Juve are resigned to losing him now.

astradave wrote: »
    It's not just him in fairness.. every media outlet in Italy is supposedly reporting that Juve are resigned to losing him now.

It's a good thing he is reporting it tho I'd go by him over most of the Italian press and probably brittish press too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement