Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Speaking of odds

15/16 odds
    Chelsea 13/8
    City 5/2
    Utd 5/1

16/17 odds
    City 5/2
    Utd 7/2
    Chelsea 6/1

A fair difference in the odds from one season, a change of manager has seen United come in fairly drastically. City exactly the same odds as last season.

Edit: Be interesting to see what they look like if Pogba does sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

First time I can remember seeing no club at 2/1 or less to win league.

One of most open in a while as teams still have lot questions to answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

First time I can remember seeing no club at 2/1 or less to win league.

One of most open in a while as teams still have lot questions to answer

Me too, usually 13/8 or 6/4 are best odds on the favourites.

Usually there is 3-4 teams max in the single digits bracket but this year it's 6, Arsenal are 6s, Liverpool and Spurs 9s. Extremely open race, for context Pool were 28-1 last season and Spurs 100-1. It's going to be a very interesting season with lots of changes I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

BBC saying that red cards will be given to players who abuse referees with foul language this season.

Rooney is ****ed so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Are you basing city as favourites because they have Guardiola?

No they bookies have them favourites.

City will spend "the whole year inn" second place :D

Well played!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Nice that you can tell the future.
    Ill admit that United have a bigger fan base,theres nothing I can do about that but you didnt address City being Favs to win the title and have the best manager in the league.
    You come across as very bitter about City and very narcissistic about United.
    You say City not even close or ever be close in anyway shows how deluded you are.

By what measure is Pep the best in the world?

He has won a league and CL with the best team in Spain / the world.

He has won the league with the best team (by a country mile) in Germany.

Personally I'd put Carlo Ancelloti at the top of the pile currently.

He has won leagues in 3 countries and the CL with two different teams.

Then I'd put Jose, his achievements speak for themselves. The reason I put Carlo ahead of his is because of Joses past unsavory antics, hopefully the worst of them are behind him.

Then Pep.

If Pep can get more than one league and a CL during his tenure with City then you can argue he is the best in the world but at the moment he IMO is not.

As for my apparant bitterness, what could I possibly have to be bitter about when it comes to City, genuine question here.

And finally, you tell me I'm narcissistic when it comes to United yet you took the time to post in here to tell me City have the best manager in the world and are favourites for the league.

Hypocrisy, thy name is The Whole Year Inn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    BBC saying that red cards will be given to players who abuse referees with foul language this season.

Rooney is ****ed so :pac:

Seen that earlier alright.. rules as follows:

Dissent towards match officials

Yellow cards will be issued to players who:

Show visibly disrespectful behaviour to any match official
    Respond aggressively to decisions
    Confront an official face to face
    Run towards an official to contest a decision
    Offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards match officials

Red cards will be issued to players who confront match officials and use offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards them.

Physical contact with match officials

A yellow card for physical contact with any match official in a non-aggressive manner (e.g. an inquisitive approach to grab the official's attention).
    A red card for physical contact with match officials in an aggressive or confrontational manner.
    Surrounding match officials

A yellow card for at least one player when two or more from a team surround a match official.
    The FA will continue to sanction teams when they surround match officials.
    Conduct in the technical area

Behaviour by players and club staff in the technical area will be more rigorously enforced

The requirements of the Technical Area Code of Conduct will be more rigorously enforced for players and club staff.
    Additionally, match officials will be required to retain professional detachment from players and club staff at all times.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Jose won the CL with Porto and Inter.
    Pep won it with Barca.

Mourinho is more proven than Pep in Europe, Pep has only ever won the CL with Messi in the team.
    Mourinho is also proven in the PL.

Both won then CL twice so have to give that a draw,Jose has him beat in the PL only because he was never in it before,only time will tell on that so not going into that.But Pep does have him beat on h2h games.
    Saying that I am certain that Jose will get you the PL title while hes at United hes a great manager.
    Think ill bow out here now and might chime in again at then end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

About time, some of the antics of players from all teams towards officials is a disgrace.

I've always wondered why refs don't just yellow card for abusive language. Do that for a few games and it will stop quick enough.

By what measure is Pep the best in the world?

He has won a league and CL with the best team in Spain / the world.

He has won the league with the best team (by a country mile) in Germany.

Personally I'd put Carlo Ancelloti at the top of the pile currently.

He has won leagues in 3 countries and the CL with two different teams.

Then I'd put Jose, his achievements speak for themselves. The reason I put Carlo ahead of his is because of Joses past unsavory antics, hopefully the worst of them are behind him.

Then Pep.

If Pep can get more than one league and a CL during his tenure with City then you can argue he is the best in the world but at the moment he IMO is not.

As for my apparant bitterness, what could I possibly have to be bitter about when it comes to City, genuine question here.

And finally, you tell me I'm narcissistic when it comes to United yet you took the time to post in here to tell me City have the best manager in the world and are favourites for the league.

Hypocrisy, thy name is The Whole Year Inn.

I didnt make them favourites that what the bookies have them at.
    I never said best manager in the world.

About time, some of the antics of players from all teams towards officials is a disgrace.

I've always wondered why refs don't just yellow card for abusive language. Do that for a few games and it will stop quick enough.

I suppose we will have to wait and see if the Ref's enforce it though, I find its a bit like holding players/shirts at corners.. its very seldomly enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Both won then CL twice so have to give that a draw,Jose has him beat in the PL only because he was never in it before,only time will tell on that so not going into that.But Pep does have him beat on h2h games.
    Saying that I am certain that Jose will get you the PL title while hes at United hes a great manager.

Except Jose did it with Porto and Inter neither team fancied winning it when they did...unlike Pep with arguably the greatest team in the world..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

A draw on the CL front? Are you serious? As if winning the CL with Porto and a declining Inter Milan side is on a par with winning it with Barcelona. Pep would not win a CL at Porto or Inter. He couldn't win one at Bayern even though they were champions when he took over.

A draw on the CL front? Are you serious? As if winning the CL with Porto and a declining Inter Milan side is on a par with winning it with Barcelona. Pep would not win a CL at Porto or Inter. He couldn't win one at Bayern even though they were champions when he took over.

But a draw none the less.
    Jose didnt win one with Real does that make him any less of a great manager?

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    I suppose we will have to wait and see if the Ref's enforce it though, I find its a bit like holding players/shirts at corners.. its very seldomly enforced

My 6 year old even says, daddy how can he talk to the ref like that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I agree with your general argument, but that was not a declining Inter Milan side - they had a peak while he was there, and leveled off after he left. They were nowhere near challenging for the Champions League before Mourinho went there.

He actually brought a fair portion of that side to the club: Sneijder, Eto'o, Milito, Motta, Lucio, Pandev, etc.

They could/would have gone on to challenge for the CL title the next season if Mourinho was still there IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

brinty wrote: »
    Who are city
    There's only one club in Manchester
    According to Zlatan the god of Old Trafford

Speaking of Zlatan, everybody must always remember to.....

Zlatan.jpg

VuahX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

A yellow card for physical contact with any match official in a non-aggressive manner (e.g. an inquisitive approach to grab the official's attention).
    A red card for physical contact with match officials in an aggressive or confrontational manner.
    Surrounding match officials

I'm completely on-board with the changes and I hope they are enforced. The way the players address the ref in rugby is an example for other sports, football will never get to that, but the way the players generally react to the ref is really poor now.

I have no idea why they have phrased the bold part in that way. Can you just run up to him holding a giant question mark and kung fu kick him in the face? It's inquisitive and would surely grab his attention.

• Advertisement

interesting tweet in the grand scheme of things.

https://twitter.com/Drasdo/status/755758092655194112?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

v3ttel wrote: »
    I'm completely on-board with the changes and I hope they are enforced. The way the players address the ref in rugby is an example for other sports, football will never get to that, but the way the players generally react to the ref is really poor now.

I have no idea why they have phrased the bold part in that way. Can you just run up to him holding a giant question mark and kung fu kick him in the face? It's inquisitive and would surely grab his attention.

Probably to catch him from behind on the shoulder to grab his attention is yellow and to do a Paolo dicannio on him is a red.

I think it's grand making these changes but you have to make a ref more accountable for some of his decision to make the players respect them.

If I was playing football and I had a smug ref like clattenburg noway could I hold back he has a face ya wanna...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

v3ttel wrote: »
    I agree with your general argument, but that was not a declining Inter Milan side - they had a peak while he was there, and leveled off after he left. They were nowhere near challenging for the Champions League before Mourinho went there.

That's my point. Go back 10 or 15 years and Inter were real European heavyweights. They declined into the late noughties as the English clubs and Barca began to dominate. Mourinho broke England and Spain's hold on the title when he won the treble in 2010 with a relatively unfancied Inter side, since then they haven't been up to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I found this very interesting, as a percentage of club turnover the Pogba deal won't be the costliest.

I see as Astradave has posted it.

Shows the progress of United's finances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Taibi cost 4.1% of our turnover for that year! lol, bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Taibi cost 4.1% of our turnover! lol

Tried to add a Game of Thrones Shame Gif...

dKjVWS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

RobertKK wrote: »
    Tried to add a Game of Thrones Shame Gif...

dKjVWS

giphy.gif

Johnny's got you covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I asked this before and i think the answer i got was that its a rule between 2 english clubs.. that its the FA that governs it and between 2 clubs in different leagues its seen as being ok.

Im still not 100% certain that thats the case though
    I thought the tapping up thing was only between English clubs too... there's seemingly nothing wrong with putting potential offers to players in another country.

Nope, you can report clubs to FIFA for it. Chelsea actually in the past couple of days have threatened to report Atletico Madrid over their courting of Costa.

Part of the reason it is no longer really enforced nowadays too I imagine is it doesn't have an actual legal grounding afaik, it's merely a football rule.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Nope, you can report clubs to FIFA for it. Chelsea actually in the past couple of days have threatened to report Atletico Madrid over their courting of Costa.

Part of the reason it is no longer really enforced nowadays too I imagine is it doesn't have an actual legal grounding afaik, it's merely a football rule.

Weren't we actually reported for it the first time we signed pogba when he was 15.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Weren't we actually reported for it the first time we signed pogba when he was 15.

Pretty sure underage is totally different procedures as they can't sign a contract until 16/17

• Advertisement

No that was different. Basically we were accused of offering his parents plenty of "incentives" to get them to sign a pre-contract with us instead of Le Havre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I miss Rio's tour diary. It was very good, now we don't have anyone who is half capable as him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Giggsy11 wrote:
    I miss Rio's tour diary. It was very good, now we don't have anyone who is half capable as him.

Mata normally has a blog about this stuff???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Adamcp898 wrote: »

That is kinda what I was wondering. Like in every other proffesion headhunting is part and parcel, and its not illegal, unethical sure, but not illegal.

I've kind of always imagined clubs would get onto agents and get them warm and tingly about contracts and salary before lodging bids and stuff, but then I always recall instances where "tapping" up got reported and in some cases, sanctioned.

But as was mentioned above its just a football rule, which is cool and makes sense

TheDoc wrote: »
    That is kinda what I was wondering. Like in every other proffesion headhunting is part and parcel, and its not illegal, unethical sure, but not illegal.

I've kind of always imagined clubs would get onto agents and get them warm and tingly about contracts and salary before lodging bids and stuff, but then I always recall instances where "tapping" up got reported and in some cases, sanctioned.

But as was mentioned above its just a football rule, which is cool and makes sense

And nowadays that's how it's treated. On the rare occasion it is complained about now it's only because a manager or club official has overtly said in the media they "want to buy player X" or a version of that, and even then it's only complained about if it suits the party to do so. Long gone are the days of clubs complaining about other people's agents courting players because, as much as they're everybody's favourite scapegoat, agent(s) are very much a necessary part of transfers now.

TheDoc wrote: »

I always thought that too until we tried to sign Fabregas it was so clear in that transfer no groundwork was done.

But then you have deals like mickey Ryan and it's clear work was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

If the Pogba deal does happen, because he was part of the United academy, would he be counted as one of the homegrown players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Loans aside, has anyone ever left United only to come back again?

Queiroz and Scholes aside too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Bosnich and Hughes are two anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

glued wrote: »
    Bosnich is one anyway.

Aside from him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Sparky probably the biggest one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Mark Hughes left for a couple of years to play for Barca and came back to OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Yeah but aside from the people who have done it has anyone ever done it?

George best did it.

Yeah but aside from the people who have done it has anyone ever done it?

Sparky
    Bosnich
    Quieroz
    Scholes

Pogba
    Ronaldo perhaps....

• Advertisement

George best did it.

Edit: oh wait aside from players going AWOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

jayo26 wrote:
    Edit: oh wait aside from players going AWOL

That's why I'm also excluding Nani.

That's why I'm also excluding Nani.

What's the point in asking then when you exclude the ones that did it :):) only messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Two players I always wanted back after being released/ sold without been given a chance for United were Peter Beardsley and David Platt! And yes I would gave forgiven Beardsley for playing for 'them'. Loved him as a player

Two players I always wanted back after being released/ sold without been given a chance for United were Peter Beardsley and David Platt! And yes I would gave forgiven Beardsley for playing for 'them'. Loved him as a player

You disappoint me saying things like this

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement