Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Where will Herrera fit in next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Considering we have brought in Ibrahimovic on big money, signed a very expensive young CB in Baily and spent big enough money on Mkhtaryan - while Mourinho teases a possible 5th signing (after Pogba, for the sake of arguement we sign him) there is no evidence that Pogba signing would be at the expense of signing other players that could set us up better. It does feel that Jose is being given the players he wants, rather than budgeting to get a couple of cheap players in to fit in a superstar, like in Fantasy Football.

Yea good points, however, the players that I would like to see us obtain would probably never happen without us pulling out of Pogba, for obvious reasons. Kroos purchase to give madrid funds etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sure, no problem I'll engage, rightly or wrongly its what I believe.

The reports are that Madrid can't afford/won't pay 120 million. I'd be happy to spend 60 of the 120 million on Kroos (if he's available) and let them buy Pogba...bear with me.

Every single report I've seen would have Pogba as the most advanced midfielder, but as we are most likely going to be playing a 4-2-3-1 where does he fit into that 3 when we've already bought Mikhitaryan who's likely going to play the 10 role, with Rooney perhaps alternating.

Everything I seen last year stemmed from a lack of creativity in the final 3rd, I don't think Pogba will give us that, I do believe that Toni Kroos feeding Mikhitaryan will.

Morgan Schneiderlin was one of if not the best midfielder in the premier league for a couple of seasons before joining United. LVG stunted his development and completely nullified the player he was, he was afraid to play, as was most of the team.

The next player I would go for is Marhez, he's said he wants to leave, and if you look at the money that they let Kante go for it's not within reason to say he could be gotten for 30/40 million.

I believe that a team with Martial / Marhez on the left and right with Mikhitaryan / Rooney being fed by Kroos would be a far more creative team than the alternative of putting Pogba in there. I also think it would be far more balanced.

As for the 3rd player, honestly I hold my hands up and say I've not thought about it too much but I'm sure we could pick up a good squad player that could cover a couple of position. God knows with our recent injuries we could do with one.

Again, I'm probably completely wrong, and I'm sure if Mourhino wants Pogba he has a plan and I'm sure it will work out, its just my feeling on it.

All very reasonable and if we didn't get Pogba and ended up with that, i'd be very fecking happy.

I do have concerns over where we would use Pogba. Personally I think he can be a dynamite box to box midfielder, so I'd have no concerns over hi playing ina midfield 3 of Schneiderlin, Pogba and Mkhtaryan - or having Herrera in for Mkhtaryan in the centre and Mkhtaryan playing from wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Well thats subjective regarding the quality. The players I've listed are different to Pogba, but I've given my reasons as to why I feel signing them would give us more balance.

That's fair enough but if United went and signed six or seven players again this year we are unballancing the squad again in terms of settling in hopefully pogba wouldn't need settling in because he been here already so we only have 3 real new comers to worry about.

Also if we signed seven players again this year that's pushing some of the younger players down the list.

For example to sign maherez to play him wide left or right then you have to get rid of depay or jessie lingard as the two first choice wide players are martial and miki. And maherez is not worth sacrificing pogba so he could be a backup player.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The great thing about Pogba is it won't take long for Pogba to settle back in to life in Manchester.
    I don't think anyone really has a concern that he will flop given he knows Manchester and Manchester United, and his hairstyles is like a symbol of his very high level of confidence.

He will be a great signing.

RobertKK wrote: »
    The great thing about Pogba is it won't take long for Pogba to settle back in to life in Manchester.
    I don't think anyone really has a concern that he will flop given he knows Manchester and Manchester United, and his hairstyles is like a symbol of his very high level of confidence.

:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

slingerz wrote: »
    Where will Herrera fit in next season?

I'd love to see a midfield three of him, Schneiderlin and Pogba - though I would reckon Mkhtaryan would be ahead of him for midfield and it could be a more conventional two with Rooney in place of Herrera, further forward. I reckon Herrera will be a squad player, from the bench, if he stays.

All very reasonable and if we didn't get Pogba and ended up with that, i'd be very fecking happy.

I do have concerns over where we would use Pogba. Personally I think he can be a dynamite box to box midfielder, so I'd have no concerns over hi playing ina midfield 3 of Schneiderlin, Pogba and Mkhtaryan - or having Herrera in for Mkhtaryan in the centre and Mkhtaryan playing from wide.
    jayo26 wrote: »
    That's fair enough but if United went and signed six or seven players again this year we are unballancing the squad again in terms of settling in hopefully pogba wouldn't need settling in because he been here already so we only have 3 real new comers to worry about.

Also if we signed seven players again this year that's pushing some of the younger players down the list.

For example to sign maherez to play him wide left or right then you have to get rid of depay or jessie lingard as the two first choice wide players are martial and miki. And maherez is not worth sacrificing pogba so he could be a backup player.

Yup both valid retorts and I dont' disagree with them. I liken it to buying a car in some ways. It all about preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

*slowly raises hand in solidarity*

be gentle with me

z2ropjgerkkvansjw1iv.jpg

• Advertisement

I'd love to see a midfield three of him, Schneiderlin and Pogba - though I would reckon Mkhtaryan would be ahead of him for midfield and it could be a more conventional two with Rooney in place of Herrera, further forward. I reckon Herrera will be a squad player, from the bench, if he stays.

Dont think we will see a midfield 3 if we do sign pogba he will be playing alongside carrick or schneiderlin but be given more freedom to get forward then we will have two wides and a number 10 and then 9 in front.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    z2ropjgerkkvansjw1iv.jpg

Well his hairstyle never changes, just a different colour, and I think he has his hair the way he does so he doesn't need to put sun cream on his ears in summer, and it is like a cap in the winter to keep his head warm...

Well his hairstyle never changes, just a different colour, and I think he has his hair the way he does so he doesn't need to put sun cream on his ears in summer, and it is like a cap in the winter to keep his head warm...

Fashionable and practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Dont think we will see a midfield 3 if we do sign pogba he will be playing alongside carrick or schneiderlin but be given more freedom to get forward then we will have two wides and a number 10 and then 9 in front.

Jose usually sets up with one proper DM and a Box to box beside him with a workhorse 10 in front of them.. the 3 in front of the 2 are usually able to interchange with ease. Think we saw bit of that against wigan especially in the second half albeit a very small sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

A crazy amount of money for Pogba if this deal goes through, crazy amount, and I've always preffered Kroos and thought he could be taken from Madrid for much less but so be it. Pogba is talented and will improve us.

Secondly money seems to be no objective for us these days and we are entering into Madrid brackets of spending. Even though we have had some of our most turbulent and worst football in years. Our revenue has risen £77m from 2014 to 2016, TAHST INSANE. With the likes of ADM and Falcao LEAVING, us not winning anything and in that period we probably became a worse team.

Look at Pogba rank as our 3rd most expensive signing as a % of turnover. One man is to thank for all this.

CnzlNmrW8AAlK2f.jpg

Woodward has our finances operating with Marvel super hero powers right now. In a transition period where mangers and the football has failed our finances have skyrocketed. Woodward has gotten us to a Madrid level of spending through this tough period whilst Madrid have been successful. He's a business genius.

We may have just beaten them to Pogba without UCL football, actually Madrid are the champions and we may have beaten them to Pogba.

The massive Adidas and Chevrolet deals, rumor has it the Chevrolet guy who did the deal got fired because it was such bad value for them but they still honored the deal because they didn't want to tarnish their reputation. Then we have other deals, Utd players in trailers etc. I can only see our brand rising.

54% increase in revenue in 5 years (£331m in 2011 to £510m in 2016) is insane and when we are UCL regulars again I can see Woodward going nuclear on our finances.

I don't care what anyone says but we have a lot to thank Woodward for. The guy has had our backs through all this even whilst taking massive amounts of sh1t from the fans. The man is an absolute BOSS.

Fashionable and practical.

Definitely practical, not sure about fashionable :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Mad that in 1993 the clubs revenue was £25 million, now its over £500 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Mad that in 1993 the clubs revenue was £25 million, now its over £500 million.

I don't think it's that mad. 1993 was 23yrs ago! & there's a lot more money available now due to increased sponsorship, advertising and money from tv rights etc

LaStampa are one of the more reliable IIRC

https://twitter.com/hashim0307/status/756078931187474432

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

astradave wrote: »

No twitter in work, what is it ?

No twitter in work, what is it ?

"La Stampa says agreement between Juven and United is one step away. Pogba won't return to Torino 7th August as planned. His bags are packed"

I'd say that the one step is Riola's fee..

"La Stampa says agreement between Juven and United is one step away. Pogba won't return to Torino 7th August as planned. His bags are packed"

I'd say that the one step is Riola's fee..

Pretty much what The Guardian have stated. Sky have seemed to say nothing in 24 hrs.

You can still bet on Pogba to United with Skybet, odds were 1/10 but are now 1/8.
    They really should have suspended like others have. I am 99.9% sure this happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You can still bet on Pogba to United with Skybet, odds were 1/10 but are now 1/8.
    They really should have suspended like others have. I am 99.9% sure this happens.

Possibly hoping that there's still people foolish enough to put money on it not happening?

:pac:

https://twitter.com/MinoRaiola/status/756087499546591233
    Mino Raiola ✔ @MinoRaiola
    There is no deal done regarding Paul Pogba, lots of bla bla bla.
    12:24 PM - 21 Jul 2016

• Advertisement

"lots of bla bla bla" makes it sound like someone told him to put out a statement denying it, he didn't want to so just went "Yeah, yeah, look, I'm doing it. Whatever!" :P

EDIT: What he said about Ibra right before he joined us.

"Does it have to be United that Zlatan goes to? Will the whole of Sweden not sleep if it does not happen?" Raiola told Swedish newspaper Expressen.
    "We have yet to decide, it'll be a surprise in the end. Everyone talks about United, which is why I don't talk to journalists a lot.
    "There are clubs in England and Europe, some outside of Europe, but everyone thinks he must go to Manchester United. It's not true."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

He must have packed his bags in Turin while he was in Miami via telekinesis, so £100m would be an absolute bargain.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    "lots of bla bla bla" makes it sound like someone told him to put out a statement denying it, he didn't want to so just went "Yeah, yeah, look, I'm doing it. Whatever!" :P

Or there is no deal done and lots of bulsh1t talked :)

Or there is no deal done and lots of bulsh1t talked :)

Lots of reports saying the only thing left is the agent's fee, so my guess is its in his own best interest to act like its not done, lest he be pressured into something less than €20m :rolleyes:

Talks of Lukaku to Chelsea for 60m too. Raiola going to be loaded this summer...

Lots of reports saying the only thing left is the agent's fee, so my guess is its in his own best interest to act like its not done, lest he be pressured into something less than €20m :rolleyes:

Talks of Lukaku to Chelsea for 60m too. Raiola going to be loaded this summer...

Alot of egg on faces of it does not happen. The vultures be out in force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Alot of egg on faces of it does not happen. The vultures be out in force.

Do you mean from MU supporters? Cause I don't get that impression from this thread.

The impression I get is that most would be delighted if it happens, are a bit unnerved regarding the fee, so if it falls through then happy enough that there are other targets that can be got and it's clear that MU tried everything to get him and sometimes players just want something else.

So everyone wil be happy if it happens, but apart from the initial disappointment, not overly bothered if it falls through.

I think that was what Jose was getting at today saying that 75% of the work is done and there are a few targets to fill the final 25%. Sort of a 'we won't be held to ransom (but please take my €120m and how dare you ask for a penny more!!!)

Doesn't he also represent Mkhitaryan? He looks after himself anyway!

Ferguson didn't have nice words about him in the past :P

Doesn't he also represent Mkhitaryan? He looks after himself anyway!

For us, it's Ibrahimovic, Pogba and Mkhitaryan, so he's made a fortune off us this summer alone. Also Matuidi, who we've been linked with.

Probably make a few bob off Ballotelli as well. Surprised he's not tried moving Hamsik round too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I presume the forum is rife with comments on how laughable it is for Chelsea to be buying back Lukaku, after doing the same thing with Matic?
    Or is that stuff just reserved for United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Maybe it is better phrased as saying Ferguson is the past!

I presume the forum is rife with comments on how laughable it is for Chelsea to be buying back Lukaku, after doing the same thing with Matic?
    Or is that stuff just reserved for United?

Leave that for fans in the Chelsea forum to discuss.

Not surprising at all that it hasn't been mentioned here, after all it has nothing to do with our team which this thread is for.

I know at times we verge off from United every now and then but my god this thread would become unbearable if it turned into us criticising or laughing at other clubs dealings all the time.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Maybe it is better phrased as saying Ferguson is the past!

Don't know how that would better phrase my sentence :P

Just thought it was quite funny and relevant, since it was mentioned in Fergusons book last year. Just because he doesn't manage us anymore doesn't mean he can't have an opinion on an agent who has been in the business for over 20 years and one which he has dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lol at Chelsea selling off a player and then buying him back for a fortune

who-does-that-gif.gif

This time tomorrow we will be watching United v Dortmund.

Really looking forward to it. I'm happy it is not a long tour this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

This time tomorrow we will be watching United v Dortmund.

Not for felas who work on site unfortunately

• Advertisement

Meltdown in Spain :pac: the papers are being particularly salty about this one.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/756101786147098624

THe article for non tweet viewers
    On Wednesday, Marca went to quite some length to explain that had Real Madrid wanted Paul Pogba then they would have got him. Yes, he’s very expensive, but Marca explained that Real Madrid would have found a way to do the deal.

After all, Marca also pointed out that Real Madrid was Pogba’s first choice.

Inconveniently, a week ago the same newspaper said Pogba had chosen Manchester United, and only saw Real Madrid as an alternative.

It wasn’t just Marca. An AS column on Wednesday pointed out that Pogba this week posted an Instagram image, in which he was wearing all white. Pogba’s message was one of peace to the world, but AS insinuated that instead he was winking to the blancos of Real Madrid. Maybe just using peace as, you know, a convenient cover.

Not only that, AS said that the biggest stars of football always get to move where and when they want, like Cristiano Ronaldo and David Beckham. Whilst it can’t be denied that Ronaldo’s dream was always Real Madrid, Beckham says something very different.

Speaking to the BBC in 2013, Beckham said: “I don’t regret it because it was out of my hands, I don’t regret leaving Man… well, I don’t regret leaving, making that decision, because as I said it wasn’t my decision.

“I found out that Manchester United wanted to sell me and the only time that I spoke to Real Madrid was the day after that came out.”

That followed him explaining in his autobiography: ‘I never wanted to leave’

It’s no surprise that Marca’s Thursday front page is another nod to Real Madrid’s superiority over Manchester United: ‘VARANE SAYS NO TO MOU’

Manchester United, and two other unnamed Premier League clubs (Who needs their name? This is firmly Marca sniping at United!), are said to have approached Real Madrid with formal offers of €40m. The £30m+ is ‘very interesting from an economic point of view’ but Varane rejected the chance.

Marca say: ‘Also the Old Trafford club, through Mou himself, made Varane aware of interest. He made it clear that he wanted him on his team… Varane, however, declined the proposal of the Portuguese coach.’

That’s page 1&2 of Marca, on page 3 is a story about Alvaro Morata, and of course it’s stated Manchester United wanted him as well, and were ejected.

Then it’s continued on page 32, yes they’re not letting go. The Pogba deal is described as ‘lunacy’.

A Spanish journalist explains: ‘In my opinion, he is far from being a crack, if by that we mean Messi, Cristiano, Bale, Neymar… and a few more.

‘It is really crazy, for a very good player, yes, but he is not, in my ranking, among the 10 best in the world right now.’

In June of this year, Marca reported Zinedine Zidane had already held talks with Pogba twice, to convince him to choose Real Madrid. Another Marca report in June stated ‘Juventus and Real Madrid will sit down to negotiate soon’.

In September of last year, Marca decided to give Manchester United a good kicking over the David De Gea failed transfer, saying it was all the fault of the English club.

They didn’t stop there, and wheeled out AC Milan’s Adriano Galliani using Mark Twain to describe Manchester when Kaka almost moved to Manchester City, it was clear Marca agreed.

American writer Twain described 1800s industrial revolution Manchester in not a very flattering light: ‘I would like to live in Manchester, England. The transition between Manchester and death would be unnoticeable.’

Manchester was repeatedly described as grim, and not a place top footballers wanted to be.

Now it’s both Manchester United and Paul Pogba who are the target of snipes, and Marca would quite clearly be thrilled to see both, should the transfer happen, fail miserably.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Not for felas who work on site unfortunately

Threw Kodi onto my phone for the preseason games :D

Meltdown in Spain :pac: the papers are being particularly salty about this one.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/756101786147098624

THe article for non tweet viewers

Good aul Marca :P

Barca press ripping the piss

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/756108881017856000
    The Catalan press see it another way, saying Florentino Perez has failed. pic.twitter.com/1iCMfC2Yn3

— Sport Witness (@Sport_Witness) July 21, 2016

Poor Marca, their favourite club wns the CL and they are still not happy.

It is like they feel threatened by United...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Afraid we'll smash them in Europe this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

they purposely throw the group stage so they finish last just so they cant face us in the EL

Haha that would be a hard one to achieve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

How is this one gonna work out?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement