Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

United and city both heavily linked to the young Brazilian striker Gabriel Jesus today. Remains to be seen whether the interest is legit or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Cotts72 wrote: »
    United and city both heavily linked to the young Brazilian striker Gabriel Jesus today. Remains to be seen whether the interest is legit or not

Not a hope in hell we will sign him. Not a prayer.

Only if I see it on the BBC will I take it as gospel.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I call bull**** on that.

was widely reported that Mendes had come to a verbel agreement with PSG over Ronaldo as they wanted a new superstar after zlatan was leaving. Real were willing to let him go as Perez wanted Bale to be the number 1.

Even Zidane said in a few interviews he didnt want ronaldo to leave.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    You really do love to throw out these idiotic posts on a daily basis without anything concrete to back it up.

I am sure you will put up a link to some to very unrepeatable source yet talk about it as it's a fact.

I suppose Zidane saying he didnt want Ronaldo to leave earlier in the year is not good enough for you??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

bangkok wrote: »
    ronaldo was up for grabs this summer for 60m. Real were going to sell to PSG but decided against it as there was no one out there that can score the goals he can

"Right lads, think its time to listen to offers for Ronnie, no less than €60m tho."

"PSG have the €60m signed off, ready to agree, who'll we replace him with?"

"I dunno...did you not look?"

"No, I thought you did?"

"..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Nuts102 wrote: »
    You really do love to throw out these idiotic posts on a daily basis without anything concrete to back it up.

I am sure you will put up a link to some to very unrepeatable source yet talk about it as it's a fact.

Do people really pay attention to it anymore.

He posted a "I spoke to Bobby Charlton" a while back and it was a copy of a joke by Dennis Law a few days earlier.

He's a total spoofer and actually just concerning he believes half the stuff he writes.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Do people really pay attention to it anymore.

He posted a "I spoke to Bobby Charlton" a while back and it was a copy of a joke by Dennis Law a few days earlier.

He's a total spoofer and actually just concerning he believes half the stuff he writes.

lol it was a joke!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ronaldo was up for grabs this summer for 60m. Real were going to sell to PSG but decided against it as there was no one out there that can score the goals he can

lol, the article, at no point, says that Ronaldo was moving to PSG till Real decided they couldn't let him go, and no reference to price. It says he may, if he decides to leave Real, go to PSG. So again I ask, have you got a link to a story saying (as you declared) Real were offering Ronaldo round for 60m, PSG offered and Real changed their mind?

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    A nothing link that doesn't back up any of what you claimed.

no matter what link i post you will say the same.

http://www.thehardtackle.com/news/2016/04/06/real-madrid-offer-cristiano-ronaldo-to-manchester-united-psg/

there is another link mentions the 60m i said

Lord TSC wrote: »
    lol, the article, at no point, says that Ronaldo was moving to PSG till Real decided they couldn't let him go, and no reference to price. It says he may, if he decides to leave Real, go to PSG. So again I ask, have you got a link to a story saying (as you declared) Real were offering Ronaldo round for 60m, PSG offered and Real changed their mind?

http://www.thehardtackle.com/news/2016/04/06/real-madrid-offer-cristiano-ronaldo-to-manchester-united-psg/

also it was discussed plenty on revista de la liga around december/jan saying madrid were going to cash in on him in the summer. mendes even met with psg chairman.

his performance v barcelona and wolfsburg made perez change his mind

In the interest of fairness, I didn't want to dismiss the source out of hand, simply cause I'd never hear of "Sport.es" (who the article quotes).

Yeaaaah, research doesn't show much kindness to them, with a lot of people on /r/soccer saying they are the least credible source in Spain, ala The Sun over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

#bangkok

#ITK

#whatsthewordfromturin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Hold on, have I missed something, Pogba's worth an extra £20 million than Higuain?? This is what happens when I don't pay attention to the transfer silly season, on that note, dare I ask how much Higuain is worth/going for these days??

Before all this he was being valued at around the £45million mark by most. However Juventus had multiply bids rejected so decided **** it and activated the release clause of £75 million, something I imagine they could of only dreamed of when they bought him for around £30million three years ago!

To put into context how much more release clauses normally are Ryan Gauld of Sporting currently has one at £40million, although he has a lot of potential no one would agree that is his current value.

There are some surprising release clauses, I remember reading about some last year and Higuains £75million was there, but Bale also had one of £75million which seemed very low (might have changed now). Also Neymar was at around £135million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

lol it was a joke!!!!

Was it really though or did someone pull you up on it. Cause it didn't read like you were joking when you said you spoke to Bobby Charlton that week....

In the interest of fairness, I didn't want to dismiss the source out of hand, simply cause I'd never hear of "Sport.es" (who the article quotes).

Yeaaaah, research doesn't show much kindness to them, with a lot of people on /r/soccer saying they are the least credible source in Spain, ala The Sun over here.

Speaking of sources without credibility Sneijder to United? Haven't seen this rumour in a while :pac:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/684678/Manchester-United-Transfer-News-Gossip-Rumours-Wesley-Sneijder-Marouane-Fellaini-Swap

Bonus Points for adding Fellaini to it!

I reckon Sneijder will always be linked with us, it's like some old curse.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Was it really though or did someone pull you up on it. Cause it didn't read like you were joking when you said you spoke to Bobby Charlton that week....

what?!

the joke was everywhere after the iceland game. i reposted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What are peoples thoughts on keeping Rooney as captain and the move to No.10?

So after totally failing in his selected position of 20+ goal striker last year, moved into midfield to try to shoehorn him into the team to avoid having to admit it was failure and now he is being given yet another start?

Why does it seem that people are so quick to dump on Memphis, Jones & Rojo yet the guy taking 300k a week and offering very little in return is seemingly not only exempt but being awarded with another year of being club captain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Leroy42 wrote: »

So after totally failing in his selected position of 20+ goal striker last year, moved into midfield to try to shoehorn him into the team to avoid having to admit it was failure and now he is being given yet another start?

Why does it seem that people are so quick to dump on Memphis, Jones & Rojo yet the guy taking 300k a week and offering very little in return is seemingly not only exempt but being awarded with another year of being club captain!

Were you not around for all of last season? Rooney was the scapegoat for everything negative about United on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I don't understand that last part at all. Rooney seems to get criticism after every game all over social media. You would lose track of how many times people have been divided here or had arguments about him whether he should start or be captain or even be sold. The whole goalscorer debate has raged on many times.

I hope we have a brilliant season and hopefully with Zlatan, Rashford and Martial there will be less pressure on Rooney to score and he has a good season.

I'm a fan of his but defending hims has put years on me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not sure if posted already but United's plane forced to land somewhere in China due to bad weather.

https://twitter.com/Memphis/status/756911855629639680

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

zerks wrote: »
    Not sure if posted already but United's plane forced to land somewhere in China due to bad weather.

https://twitter.com/Memphis/status/756911855629639680

Expect Lingard to pop up a video any moment going "Mummy mummy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Is there any info out there on the character and personality of Pogba? The price is the price but what concerns me is the circumstances under which he previously left, he clearly had an exalted opinion of himself at that time, it begs the question how he will react to being the most expensive player in the world?

I'm also just generally not comfortable with us going back for a guy who we got rid of basically because he had notions above is station.

As Ferguson said, he disrespected the club, and I can't believe there isn't more being made of this particular episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Were you not around for all of last season? Rooney was the scapegoat for everything negative about United on here.
    Adamocovic wrote: »
    I don't understand that last part at all. Rooney seems to get criticism after every game all over social media. You would lose track of how many times people have been divided here or had arguments about him whether he should start or be captain or even be sold. The whole goalscorer debate has raged on many times.

I hope we have a brilliant season and hopefully with Zlatan, Rashford and Martial there will be less pressure on Rooney to score and he has a good season.

I'm a fan of his but defending hims has put years on me :pac:

Sorry, I should have put it differently. The whole team got criticised last year (rightly so) and Rooney being the Captain, highest paid and a senior member of the team got his rightfully portionally more than some others.

The question I was trying, badly, to get at is why people are quick to write off younger players so having poor seasons, (some on here are happy to see any or all of darmien, Rojo, Jones, Fellaini, Lingard, Young etc) be sold off but very few (at least to me) see Rooney leaving as a positive.

I can only see him staying as a negative. He has performed poorly when the club needed him most, he has shown clear signs that the powers he did have have fallen away and he is now, IMO, being given the Captains armband and a place on the team out of marketing reasons mainly.

Not saying he is not a good player, he still is, its just that there are better players in each of his positions not only available to buy, but even in the Utd squad. Micky and Mata are better 10's, Rashford, Martial and Zlatan are better strikers, and he is a poor midfielder so won't even bother with that.

Sorry, I should have put it differently. The whole team got criticised last year (rightly so) and Rooney being the Captain, highest paid and a senior member of the team got his rightfully portionally more than some others.

The question I was trying, badly, to get at is why people are quick to write off younger players so having poor seasons, (some on here are happy to see any or all of darmien, Rojo, Jones, Fellaini, Lingard, Young etc) be sold off but very few (at least to me) see Rooney leaving as a positive.

I can only see him staying as a negative. He has performed poorly when the club needed him most, he has shown clear signs that the powers he did have have fallen away and he is now, IMO, being given the Captains armband and a place on the team out of marketing reasons mainly.

Not saying he is not a good player, he still is, its just that there are better players in each of his positions not only available to buy, but even in the Utd squad. Micky and Mata are better 10's, Rashford, Martial and Zlatan are better strikers, and he is a poor midfielder so won't even bother with that.

I'm sure you'd find a lot who would agree and want him sold. I've heard and seen it a bit event his window.

I think sometimes people just get an opinion on a player and sometimes they have their mind up and find it hard to change (I'm guilty at times).

Hard to tell numbers in terms of people who want Rooney out (although even this window people here have given out that he shouldnt get much game time) compared to some younger players.

Maybe more people have faith in Rooney compared to the younger players because they have the memories of what he has done in the past while those players they don't.

I personally don't want Rooney, Darmian, Jones (My man), Lingard, Young or even Fellaini to go. I like Rojo but at the same time not completely sold on him so wouldn't be overly upset if he left.

Might have to unfollow this thread for a bit if another Rooney debate starts.

ericzeking wrote: »
    Is there any info out there on the character and personality of Pogba? The price is the price but what concerns me is the circumstances under which he previously left, he clearly had an exalted opinion of himself at that time, it begs the question how he will react to being the most expensive player in the world?

I'm also just generally not comfortable with us going back for a guy who we got rid of basically because he had notions above is station.

As Ferguson said, he disrespected the club, and I can't believe there isn't more being made of this particular episode.

Fergie disrespected him by playing Rafael and Park ahead of him in his position at home to the worst team in the league. Whatever notions he had above his station are somewhat justified considering his performances for Juve since he left.

• Advertisement

From what I've read he wants to win and is passionate about it which is good.

Maybe I am a little biased as I too have concerns over the deal, although if it does happen hope he does brilliant with us, but there have been some concerns over his attitude at times.

Although highly praised for his talent Allegri has criticised him after games at times for dropping the head, not showing up at times or playing as an individual rather than a team. He has made the latter comment about a few of their players so hard to know how much is just his method of firing up the team or that.

I know for the French camp he was criticised for his punctuality and for not following some rules for team events and that, also saying he is a player who needs to be pushed by the manager, but you have to wonder how much is just French media writing stories before tournaments etc.

Obviously the comments Ferguson said are well documented.

No doubt he is talented and passionate, I would be concerned about the money involved as it's hard to know how it will effect his attitude. Obviously every transfer carries risks and you hope they pay off.

It could be a case for some of us over worrying about it and I hope it is. He has the talent there to make a huge difference.

Martial just unfollowed United on Twitter and Instagram, shortly after the story broke that he apparently wasn't consulted bout losing the number 9 and was annoyed by it. So let the drama begin :pac:

Edit. That's coming from Mohamed Bouhafsi btw

Martial just unfollowed United on Twitter and Instagram, shortly after the story broke that he apparently wasn't consulted bout losing the number 9 and was annoyed by it. So let the drama begin :pac:

He changed his facebook cover photo to this a few hours ago too

13701002_1554265784882075_3673666645898723233_o.jpg

I do hope it's just a nonsense rumour and there isn't actually anything to it. However the change of his facebook cover photo has be nervous.... not something I expected to say :pac:

Just as a follow up...apparently he trademarked "AM9" last week, and launched this this morning.

https://www.facebook.com/AnthonyMartialAM9/photos/a.1481633628811958.1073741825.1481632972145357/1554265898215397/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He registered his trademark as AM9 a week ago or something.

Heres the tweet

https://twitter.com/mohamedbouhafsi/status/756928463081209856?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Well that is a major gaffe on the clubs part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

damn

Hope this is bs

Yeah if it's all true that's a major gaff and seriously short sighted by th club.

Martial is infinitely more important to the club than Zlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Weren't the numbers just provisional? I'm sure a swap can be done between Martial & Ibrahimovic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

A player isn't going to leave a club because of a fricking number!!

If it is true that the club didnt inform him that they were going to take away his number, then that is bad. But nothing really to cry about and make a hissy fit.

All is good :)

• Advertisement

Weren't the numbers just provisional? I'm sure a swap can be done between Martial & Ibrahimovic.

Didn't we have the "I choose no 9" nonsense from Zlatan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Yeah, they are provisional alright
    http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Jul/Manchester-United-release-Premier-League-squad-numbers-for-201617-season.aspx?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=ManUtd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He disrespected the club by not staying is it? (We certainly did not get rid of him)

He left because he backed himself to make it, and he felt he was not given the chance at United. He backed that up by pointing out how a right back was played in midfield ahead of him.

He was given an offer from a huge CL team and told he would get a fair crack at a first team place, he took it.

He was a young guy, who had no tie to the club realistically, only joining us (in somewhat dubious circumstance) to further his career at the age of 15/16, can't remember which off the top of my head.

He has an agent who is an absolute parasite, he isn't the only one of course, but it is not hard to imagine he was swayed by those around him into thinking he was being held back at United. Fergie was telling him he was ready, he was going to be great, but when push came to shove he didn't back that up.

Now, whether you believe Pogba was ready or not is up for debate, whether you agree with how he was handled is up for debate, whether you think Gill and Fergie should take some considerable blame for letting the situation develop instead of tying him down to a longer contract before that season is also up for debate.

Fergie has plenty of form for disparaging those who go against him, and Pogba certainly did that and it must sting that he achieved so much so fast. It did not reflect well on Fergie and he did what he does best, he attacked. The fact that he cannot stand Pogba's agent would have also helped in that regard.

None of the players at United ever had a bad word to say about Pogba, his attitude was never questioned, there was a stark contrast made between himself and Morrison. Disappointed he left in the first place and I'd love him back at the club, I don't blame him for going, and to give personal perspective, I don't blame Fergie either, it is what it is. It happened.

I am not foolish enough to think it is every players dream to play for United, if the player gives it his all while at the club that is really all I look for, Ronaldo is adored, never made a secret he wanted to go to Madrid, they were always his dream club. If Pogba does want to go to Madrid but they can't make a deal right now, and we can, we should do it. Get him to sign a 5 year deal and if he ends up leaving after 3 then so be it, you never know whats going to happen in football. If he does end up using us a stepping stone on his way to Madrid then you can be sure he will be performing very well for us if they do come calling.

Only for Juve spending the money on Higuain I would say he should actually stay where he is, great squad they will have for the coming season but it is obviously the Pogba money they are spending in that regard, he is going somewhere, he will improve the squad here big time, we should sign him if it is possible. There is literally no reason to not go for him, he has been complimentary about the club since he left and if he is open to return he is welcome with open arms from me.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I doubt it. If you go to the United Online store for the new jersey, If you chhose Martial on the back you get the number 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Martial is off to Madrid sore

Well that is a major gaffe on the clubs part

Its actually unreal, I would hope it is bs but it doesn't look like it!

They were provisional numbers so obviously time left to sort it out, but ffs you would think this would be something the club could handle a bit better.....

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Never should have taken 9 from martial. He is the future, ibrahimovic will probably be gone next season, max 2 seasons.

adox wrote: »
    Yeah if it's all true that's a major gaff and seriously short sighted by th club.

Martial is infinitely more important to the club than Zlatan.

This, all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Controversy about nothing. Journalists having a slow day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Got the new jersey today. Really nice 75 quid is a bit steep though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement