Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Controversy about nothing. Journalists having a slow day.

Remains to be seen. If it's true it's certainly not nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Controversy about nothing. Journalists having a slow day.

Not necessarily, given Martial's FB page. Hopefully that's all it is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I heard number 9 for Ibrahimovic months ago, so I would be shocked if this came out of the blue to martial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I heard number 9 for Ibrahimovic months ago, so I would be shocked if this came out of the blue to martial.

Its doubtful (not impossible) that it came out of the blue for him, but given that he trademarked AM9 and that facebook thing it doesn't look like absolutely nothing here.

We also heard number 8 for Zlatan, number 7 too. I would hope there was consensus over it but you would have a little cause of concern now, not much but a little!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads didn't United post the numbers Thursday? Tony Martial hardly only heard today about the swap!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Martial should do something similar to Zamorano years ago at Inter. Ask for the number 45 and stick a + in between the 4 and 5 (lowest available combination to make 9 I think)

He should have been told and I'd have given him 7 and have taken that number from Memphis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Martial wears 11 for France, does he not? Seems like it would be in his commercial interest to have the same number for club and country...I'm sure United will reimburse him for any cost he may have incurred with his bit of AM9 branding...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Oh and just to say related to my previous. I'd have taken 7 from Memphis but I wouldn't have bothered telling him :)

That's what you get for pulling out of challenges buddy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads didn't United post the numbers Thursday? Tony Martial hardly only heard today about the swap!?

No he only heard it on boards, he Pm on twitter, he off to Madrid he said ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

1) If Martial has a blowout over a number, someone needs to slap him
    2) If Martial is getting thick about loosing 9, he needs to see who just took the number and needs a slap
    3) Someone slap Martial

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheDoc wrote: »
    2) If Martial is getting thick about loosing 9, he needs to see who just took the number and needs a slap
    3) Someone slap Martial

Martial is uniteds future. He has every right to be pissed off over losing his jersey if reports are true. He will IMO have a much better season than zlatan.

Zlatan obviously made a big deal about getting the no9 in the first place or else they could have given him any other number that was free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I would say its more a case that his marketing team are up in arms over it, it seems that they run his twitter anyways. I think his Instagram is duel as he posts some personal pics on it. I'm sure the club will have no problem in re-imbusing him of any losses made due to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

astradave wrote: »
    I would say its more a case that his marketing team are up in arms over it, it seems that they run his twitter anyways. I think his Instagram is duel as he posts some personal pics on it. I'm sure the club will have no problem in re-imbusing him of any losses made due to it.

Ah, isn't modern football great.

The more I see of it, the stupider I feel for caring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

TheDoc wrote: »
    3) Someone slap Martial

I really doubt Martial cares. He wore 23 at Monaco. He took the 9 shirt because it was free when he joined with the departure of Falcao - no one had ever heard of him when LVG signed him. I doubt he would be amazed that a big name like Zlatan took #9 when its more than likely he will play in the CF position.

This is just some ignorant agent or bureaucrat thinking his is representing his client best by portraying him as some sort of sulking man-child. Id like to think Martial would sack him for it, but Martial is only 20 so may not yet be ready to fire a 40 year old man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Martial should do something similar to Zamorano years ago at Inter. Ask for the number 45 and stick a + in between the 4 and 5 (lowest available combination to make 9 I think)

He should have been told and I'd have given him 7 and have taken that number from Memphis.

You mean 1+8 ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

hogey143 wrote: »

Or 0+9-0............ yhhhh? .... ok......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I can see from a quick search that Ibra has worn 9, 10, 11 and maybe more numbers for his clubs and International side. I don't know why you'd go pandering to his ego when this guy will be committed to us for one season, maybe two tops. Martial managed to be our best player last season against all the odds and stood out head and shoulders above everyone and is our future. I wouldn't be taking the number off his back. I'd tell Ibra what was available.. pick... and if its that big a deal he can **** off and we will sign someone else. Seems like a guy with an ego pandering to another guy with an ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Strumms wrote: »
    I can see from a quick search that Ibra has worn 9, 10, 11 and maybe more numbers for his clubs and International side. I don't know why you'd go pandering to his ego when this guy will be committed to us for one season, maybe two tops. Martial managed to be our best player last season against all the odds and stood out head and shoulders above everyone and is our future. I wouldn't be taking the number off his back. I'd tell Ibra what was available.. pick... and if its that big a deal he can **** off and we will sign someone else. Seems like a guy with an ego pandering to another guy with an ego.

David degea was by a long way our best player last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

David degea was by a long way our best player last season.

ok pedant.. outfield player :rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

If there was a chat had with Martial that he would be seen as a wing player and therefore the 11 would suit him better and how it's a big jersey at the club anyways and he agreed to swap that's fair enough but if the rumours are true and it was just taken off him, then that's really foolish. Players usually get pretty attached to the first number they're given at a club. Possibly with a bit of superstition linked to it aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Obviously fake but a good photoshop

Imagine :pac:

https://twitter.com/Ahnaf_Rahman/status/757003104839761920

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

shirt numbers aside I cant wait to see Ibra and Martial link up, I think it could be a serious partnership

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

https://twitter.com/mohamedbouhafsi/status/756932205662859264

Few apologies, few millions and everything will be back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bastian amongst a list of players headed for the door:

https://twitter.com/ChrisWheelerDM/status/757099682229284864

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

hogey143 wrote: »
    jayo26 wrote: »
    Or 0+9-0............ yhhhh? .... ok......

B6SlqBrCAAAz71h.jpg

I think Martial is more of a no.11 man myself for now.
    Then again Depay is not even fit to wear Nani's old number let alone the famous no.7 jersey.
    Hopefully he redeems himself this season and turns his United career around, we need him to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

zerks wrote: »

I noticed a few reported Bastian at the same time, so looks like a briefing :(

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I noticed a few reported Bastian at the same time, so looks like a briefing :(

Shame how it turned out for him but I feel we are writing him off very quickly. He has plenty to offer and still very good midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Shame how it turned out for him but I feel we are writing him off very quickly. He has plenty to offer and still very good midfielder.

I was impressed with the leadership and drive he brought when playing last season, more so than our captain! shame it hasn't worked out fitness wise but he'd be a great player to hold onto in this new transition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Did we learn nothing from Hargreaves transfer. BM do not sell their best players to us. They sell what they can do without.

Clearly they recognised that Bastian was past it. Sure, he is still a good footballer, but expecting him to be able for the faster PL when he is clearly slowing down (almost stopped at this stage) was wishful thinking and he was only welcomed as a signing last year as Utd was already on such a negative footing.

To think that signing an aging, slowing, past it, no previous EPL experience as the centre piece of midfield was crazy. Carrick without the English! The reports are that he spent most of his time back in Germany as he was injured, wow what a great influence that must have been.

He should be the first out the the door. It was a LVG era mistake and should be expunged from the MU history.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He might be on the way out, but that's a BS article based Mourinho not naming all 6 players still on holidays. Darmian is thrown in there too because Mourinho didn't name him. Do people really think we're going to sell the only actual right back in the squad?

• zerks wrote: »

The mirror started all that ****e.

As well as constantly posting "Pogba is close"

Saga is worse than the Fabregas borefest in 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A signing has been made,

Tag Heuer are the clubs new watch partner,time is money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

zerks wrote:
    Tag Heuer are the clubs new watch partner,time is money.

Poor Hublot...
    A fine partner
    But time moves on and standstill for no man ..

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Did we learn nothing from Hargreaves transfer. BM do not sell their best players to us. They sell what they can do without.

Clearly they recognised that Bastian was past it. Sure, he is still a good footballer, but expecting him to be able for the faster PL when he is clearly slowing down (almost stopped at this stage) was wishful thinking and he was only welcomed as a signing last year as Utd was already on such a negative footing.

To think that signing an aging, slowing, past it, no previous EPL experience as the centre piece of midfield was crazy. Carrick without the English! The reports are that he spent most of his time back in Germany as he was injured, wow what a great influence that must have been.

He should be the first out the the door. It was a LVG era mistake and should be expunged from the MU history.

Somehow Hargreaves turned to Bayern's favor by luck and nothing more. It's rewriting history as they wanted to keep him very much and lost the battle.

Also both deals are completely different. Schweinsteiger was a legend and he wanted to play in PL, so Bayern let him go just like we did with Evra.

Is Schweinsteiger playing at his peak? No. Is he still a good midfielder? Without doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Is Schweinsteiger playing at his peak? No. Is he still a good midfielder? Without doubt.

Based on what? Nothing he did last year says he is a good midfielder anymore. MU fans got all excited when he signed, IMO, because it was better than nothing, but many reports say that he was a LVG decision and even LVG admitted that he had not worked out.

He has a history of injuries, Pep said last year he hadn't been fully fit for a few years. He provided nothing of note to the team last year and even when he played he appeared to be well off the pace.

We now have an aging Carrick, Rooney, Zlatan all in the team, we do not need an aging Bastian. He was a mistake, no amount of wishing will change that and it would be better to get rid of him to signal the start of a new era.

ON the Hargreaves thing, you could well be right, my recollection of it was that BM were happy enough to sell but I could well be wrong and not going to go back to look it up. Doesn't change the position of Bastian though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Hublot dropped United over Ferguson. Bulova was our latest watch partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Ah, the first headline like this I've seen for last 2 months. "such and such amongst group of players on the way out"

But the fact that is from The Daily Mail makes it true!"

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Based on what? Nothing he did last year says he is a good midfielder anymore. MU fans got all excited when he signed, IMO, because it was better than nothing, but many reports say that he was a LVG decision and even LVG admitted that he had not worked out.

He has a history of injuries, Pep said last year he hadn't been fully fit for a few years. He provided nothing of note to the team last year and even when he played he appeared to be well off the pace.

We now have an aging Carrick, Rooney, Zlatan all in the team, we do not need an aging Bastian. He was a mistake, no amount of wishing will change that and it would be better to get rid of him to signal the start of a new era.

ON the Hargreaves thing, you could well be right, my recollection of it was that BM were happy enough to sell but I could well be wrong and not going to go back to look it up. Doesn't change the position of Bastian though.

Based on his performances for National team. I don't think I will rate any player under Van Gaal, that was just out of this world. Schneiderlin who looked class for Southampton looked hopeless for ManUtd, same with Herrera and to an extent Carrick. There is a clear pattern, Van Gaal is the big reason why so many had poor season. Mata who played so many risky passes at Chelsea played so many safe passes. Players were just afraid to losing possession and IIRC there was rumor that Schneiderlin was not happy with the restrictions on players, what they can do and what they shouldn't.

If you rate players based on last season's performance they apart from 4-5 players everyone should be gone.

He had injury issues and the injury he had at United was contact injury and that had nothing to do with his previous injuries.

Btw, your recollection on Hargreaves saga is wrong. It was a huge saga, Bayern didn't want it and IIRC Hargreaves even made public comment that he want to join United.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Btw, your recollection on Hargreaves saga is wrong. It was a huge saga, Bayern didn't want it and IIRC Hargreaves even made public comment that he want to join United.

Yeah didn't it go on for like over a year of Bayern rejecting bids. At the time he didn't have that knee injury that ruined his career, if I recall he had a broken leg but recovered from that and played a good few of games for Bayern that season.

Even after he left Rummenigge and others with Bayern called it a huge loss and saying they didn't want him to go.

He had a lot of talent and we bought him in his mid 20s so at the time it looked like he would go on to be one of the best holding midfielders for the next few years. It's a pity injuries ruined his career, I always was upset about that, had so much potential.

I remember him saying he played on with pain and aches the year after he broke his leg which no doubt didn't help the knees.

But looking back even before he joined us when he was around 25/26 he had 200+ Bayern caps including a handful of Bundesligas and a Champions league, not to mention didn't he go on to win Englands player of the year, so he was highly regarded and Bayern didn't want him to go, something many seem to forget.

He was part of the team that won the League and Champions league for us back in 2008 but with Hargreaves I always think what could have been. Out of all the players who have came to us and it hasn't worked out his hurts me the most. Was such a talented player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Has anyone else seen Memphis doing an overhead kick in training in football tennis and winning a point? You should see the reaction of the players and the new coaches. Looks like a very positive atmosphere in training and they are having fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen Memphis doing an overhead kick in training in football tennis and winning a point? You should see the reaction of the players and the new coaches. Looks like a very positive atmosphere in training and they are having fun!

Yeah it was brilliant, there was another clip (was posted here) of Rooney getting a funny header score in football tennis too, the reaction of the players and coaches was funny. Same with when Memphis and Blind nutmegged Rooney in training :pac:

Think main thing everyone is talking about is how good the atmosphere seems to be. Hope it continues on throughout the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Somewhat cranky press conference from Mou, got asked some crappy questions and isn't impressed with the pitch at all.

What time is the game on tomorrow (if it takes place)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

As a outsider this will be the first year in a while, I will regularly watch United

My favourite player in Zlatan and my favourite manager

Hopefully its Inter all over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Lord TSC wrote: »
    What time is the game on tomorrow (if it takes place)?

12.30pm i think

Hope noone is being "forced" to take a half day again tomorrow !! It is an issue this thread needs to take seriously and petition against under labour laws!

(joke by the way!)

I really hate preseason games against fellow PL teams, most of all against your biggest rival?

12.30pm i think

Damn it. Going to miss it too then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just showed the pitch there on MUTV,it looks in a bad state

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Yeah didn't it go on for like over a year of Bayern rejecting bids. At the time he didn't have that knee injury that ruined his career, if I recall he had a broken leg but recovered from that and played a good few of games for Bayern that season.

Even after he left Rummenigge and others with Bayern called it a huge loss and saying they didn't want him to go.

He had a lot of talent and we bought him in his mid 20s so at the time it looked like he would go on to be one of the best holding midfielders for the next few years. It's a pity injuries ruined his career, I always was upset about that, had so much potential.

I remember him saying he played on with pain and aches the year after he broke his leg which no doubt didn't help the knees.

But looking back even before he joined us when he was around 25/26 he had 200+ Bayern caps including a handful of Bundesligas and a Champions league, not to mention didn't he go on to win Englands player of the year, so he was highly regarded and Bayern didn't want him to go, something many seem to forget.

He was part of the team that won the League and Champions league for us back in 2008 but with Hargreaves I always think what could have been. Out of all the players who have came to us and it hasn't worked out his hurts me the most. Was such a talented player.

Yeah, we tried to sign him for about a year. We didn't give up and it was a big saga at that time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement