Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning Post #6863

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

To re-iterate my own feelings on the Pogba situation while he was at the club, who to blame etc.

Nobody basically, Pogba had been incredible in the youth team, had not sparkled to the same degree his final season in the reserves, though it looked like he was just done at that level and was phoning it in a little, he did not look great in his few appearances for the first team, but having watched his development you knew he could be special.

The way United were, the poor quality of that midfield made it a little tougher for Fergie to play him imo (which is also his fault!) in that he would have a decent degree of defensive responsibility and could not afford to give him a free reign more or less to play without worrying too much about tactics.

His agent is a parasite, from all of my readings on him over the years he is up there as one of the worst in top level football. He does well by his clients generally but he is only too happy to flaunt them and tout them around to the highest bidder, I don't think he is a particularly settling influence on him and at the age of 18 when Paul is already seeing things like Rafael playing in midfield ahead of him and a guy being brought out of retirement rather then giving him his shot after he was told he would be given opportunities I don't think he had much of a job convincing him he would be better off moving away from Ferguson, who the agent also had issues with.

Look at that Juve team he joined, defensively very sound and a strong midfield to boot, it was much easier to integrate him while not placing too much emphasis on him being tactically disciplined or worrying he will have too much responsibility. He was allowed to focus on using his natural gifts to develop into a marauding midfielder capable of influencing games and threatening defences with his athleticism and flair. He has still not learned to dictate tempo or control a game properly from deep and is best in a more advanced position with a free role to do as he pleases.

This simply would not have been possible at United when the central midfielders have jobs to do and if they don't perform them correctly the defence gets exposed and though it may have been better for Pogba and his development to get more game time that year at United, it would not have been the correct thing to do when considering what gives the team the best chance at success. Rafa in midfield being the exception, the writing was on the wall from that decision imo and I do believe it was an error from Fergie. He was not infallible but he was pretty damn good at gauging what is best for the team as a whole and you can forgive an error now and then.

I think Pogba's impatience, and self belief, coupled with his agent being only too happy to move him on and Fergie being determined to stick to his principles created a perfect storm where by you can see how easily it happened that someone we all (people who had been following closely I mean) could see had the potential to be an absolute superstar could slip through the cracks at the club, I also thought Morrison could have been a monster, but you knew about the risks with him early also so he seemed a far less safer bet to make it to the big time, same way you could see Danny had more strings to his bow then Macheda despite the initial success enjoyed by the latter.

I don't blame any one party for what happened, I also think it doesn't matter any more. It happened, its in the past, United is a different club these days and Pogba for sure is a different player. The only thing to look at is if he can make a big impact, if they believe he can, and he can be got then nothing plausible to stop that, if he is dicking around then just move on because as it was in his first spell, no player should be allowed to be bigger then the club and if it isn't gonna work it isn't gonna work, on to the next.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

brinty wrote: »
    Stringer you know I <3 you as a poster but I believe pogba demanded 40k a week and united offerred 19k and Fergie said to him the money will come in time...

Raiola got onto Juve and they agred the 40k. Deal was done.

I could be wrong as I've not checked facts but that's my recollection of events ..

I would urge you to check :)

Edit: Because for a start I am 99% certain he reported wage at Juve was about 20k a week

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Right lets see who gets closes to the right time

I reckon 8pm tomorrow night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Headshot wrote: »

High noon tomorrow

Do we have to guess which club he is going to aswell? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Juve referring to Pogba on holiday?

https://twitter.com/juventusfcen/status/758116752517582851

Some are at work in the pool, while for others... the hard yards await. #FinoAllaFine #ForzaJuve #JuveOnTour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

https://twitter.com/ADP1113/status/758162763306901505

https://twitter.com/ADP1113/status/758176367011848192

Written by Nerozzi who is supposed to be the most reliable Juve journo out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I would urge you to check

Good enough so dude ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Headshot wrote:

I'll go out on a limb here

The 32ND of July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If that's in euro it wouldn't be that crazy a deal compared to higuain but I've feeling it's pound.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    If that's in euro it wouldn't be that crazy a deal compared to higuain but I've feeling it's pound.

LaStampa & Nerozzi are extremely reliable when it comes to Juve, it would be 115m euro to Juve and Juve pay the fees. Looks like Raiola took a hit on his fees.. where has Bangkok gone? :D

astradave wrote: »
    LaStampa & Nerozzi are extremely reliable when it comes to Juve, it would be 115m euro to Juve and Juve pay the fees. Looks like Raiola took a hit on his fees.. where has Bangkok gone? :D

That's would be just shy of 100 million pound if true it wouldn't be so bad.. We will probably still be here next week waiting for it to happen ha.

jayo26 wrote: »
    That's would be just shy of 100 million pound if true it wouldn't be so bad.. We will probably still be here next week waiting for it to happen ha.

Probably, but in fairness nearly every Italian outlet is saying it's being done today..

Did you see Zidanes quotes? I think Perez is stringing him along over Pogba :D

AS are still reporting that a medical was cancelled, even naming the doctor, even though the doctor confirmed he had no idea what the feck was going on.. :D Madrid seem rattled. It has been a great Saga in fairness.

Probably, but in fairness nearly every Italian outlet is saying it's being done today..

Did you see Zidanes quotes? I think Perez is stringing him along over Pogba :D

AS are still reporting that a medical was cancelled, even naming the doctor, even though the doctor confirmed he had no idea what the feck was going on.. :D Madrid seem rattled. It has been a great Saga in fairness.

If it all gets done I'd be Smiling from ear to ear for getting one over on real Madrid and I'd imagine alot of other supporters of other clubs would love it too if only it wasn't united.

The thing that worries me us madrid haven't done one bit of businesses all summer they will be looking for someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Written by Nerozzi who is supposed to be the most reliable Juve journo out there

Ya very popular with Juve fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

€115 million is £96.4 million.

Great work by Ed to get a £3.6 million discount!

• Deal has broken down....

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Ah I'm fecked up with it all, came on here saw all the new posts and thought someone was in the know. How reliable are these journalists that are saying today is the day ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Ehm....

:D

Even adidas are trolling us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Deal has broken down....

hqdefault.jpg

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

god let this be done today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11835/10513888/real-madrids-zinedine-zidane-quiet-on-paul-pogbas-potential-move

Zidane on pogba:
    "The question is direct and I always say things. But now is not the time to talk about it. Everyone is interested in Pogba. He is a great player and when you're with Madrid you always want the best. Now you have to respect some things, he is a Juve player, today I cannot say anything."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

https://twitter.com/ADP1113/status/758162763306901505

https://twitter.com/ADP1113/status/758176367011848192

Oh what's this? Agent getting 15m,whatever happened the 20m he was meant to take? What sort of business man would throw away 5m....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Apparently we've been linked with Pogba, anyone heard anything?

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Oh what's this? Agent getting 15m,whatever happened the 20m he was meant to take? What sort of business man would throw away 5m....:rolleyes:

:pac: knew you would like that one.. dya have any opinion on this today? Raiola supposedly is compromising, does that change your opinion on him.

It sure as feck doesn't change my opinion on that he has a legal binding contract with Juve and is entitled to his money by Law, all 20% of it, and i certainly wouldn't begrudge him of holding out for it which was the point of the argument that you brought up last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Apparently we've been linked with Pogba, anyone heard anything?

Ah he's ok, but he's no Fellaini.

:pac: knew you would like that one.. dya have any opinion on this today? Raiola supposedly is compromising, does that change your opinion on him.

It sure as feck doesn't change my opinion on that he has a legal binding contract with Juve and is entitled to his money by Law, all 20% of it, and i certainly wouldn't begrudge him of holding out for it which was the point of the argument that you brought up last night.

I said all along if he cared for his client he would have agreed to less than 20m. United were even going to pay half the agent fee.

It's nothing like the example you gave last night of me doing a job for you agreeing to 400euro for the day and then paying me 200euro

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

We had this "Hours away" thing a few weeks back iirc. I think DiMarizio used the expression about Jose and LVG, but it was pointed out then that its a literal translation of an Italian phrase that, more generally, means "soon", but not a specific time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

magnumbud wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11835/10513888/real-madrids-zinedine-zidane-quiet-on-paul-pogbas-potential-move

Zidane on pogba:
    "The question is direct and I always say things. But now is not the time to talk about it. Everyone is interested in Pogba. He is a great player and when you're with Madrid you always want the best. Now you have to respect some things, he is a Juve player, today I cannot say anything."

That doesn't sound promising. Why would RM still be making it out that they are in for Pogba if they are not? They are leaving open the possibility. For what end? If the deal with MU is close they would surely be better distancing themselves to avoid looking like they lost out but they are actively helping to maintain the inference that they are still working on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Never mind all the Pogba talk, The Papers saying Moyes wants Fellaini at Sunderland.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

7/4 now to sign for Real. Put a tenner on 9/1 the other day.

Real Madrid going to sweep in now and sign pogba ala bayern and sanches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

"Hala Madrid".
    Wouldn't put it past them, that slime ball Perez would love to do it.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I said it before but given the circus with this transfer, I think you're better off without.

• bangkok wrote: »

F*uck em if they do
    We gotta move on to new targets
    Still well over a month in the transfer window and surely we have other options lined up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Bit on the Fellaini gossip from Football365
    FELLAINI TO SUNDERLAND?
    We’ve not quite worked out whether it’s the newspapers that have no imagination or David Moyes who has no imagination, but the former Manchester United manager is being linked with a move for another fringe Manchester United player.

One of the hallmarks of Louis van Gaal’s tenure at United was seeing Marouane Fellaini lumbering around the field with his elbows at full mast, charging into opponents before perfecting that ‘I can’t possibly be guilty’ look.

In the words of Manchester United supporter and professional handsome man Ian Watson: “I’ll bloody drive him there, and pick up his stuff first.” Gentleman.

For anyone wondering Ian Watson is one of their journalists :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I would drive him to Sunderland myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

If Real do swoop in and sign him now I'll f*ckin crack up!

Ala Bayern and Thiago
    Ala Barcelona and Ronaldinho
    Ala Barcelona and Kluivert
    Ala Martin Edwards and Batistuta ;)
    Ala Chelsea and Hazard
    Ala Madrid and Benzema
    Ala feckin Blackburn and Shearer

Well used to it at this point!

I don't care as much, I simply want it resolved asap so the club can move on to the next if it does not happen or get him in and involved if it does.

I would drive him to Sunderland myself

You gonna at least bring back a replacement for the big man? Good squad option that lad with plenty of games to go around this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

brinty wrote: »
    Agh mate that was tiresome

I'm off in the plane again

A few first class seats available

Jayo will be pumping out the tunes

If you're a good kid Mars and cookie might even do the #pogbadance for you

#positivityplane

I'm catching up here on last night so I'm late to the party, Disclaimer: I will not dance for anybody...ever sorry..

Off topic for a second,

Anyone know where Pro.f is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I was 30% confident of getting Pogba a couple of weeks ago and that certainty remains the same. It stinks of "come and rescue me, Real."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I wonder how long Jose will wait before we move on to our next target. If reports are true, it seems as if Pogba and his agent are just stalling and waiting for Real Madrid to come in.

If he prefers Madrid, then screw him and let's just move on. I'm getting the sense we are just wasting our time at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Patience lads and lassies. Pogba will be a Utd player.

IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

See they brought out the list of exact law changes coming into place for this coming season. Some interesting ones there.

On Penalty Fouls and red cards:
    "When a denial of a goalscoring opportunity offence is committed by a defender in the penalty area, the penalty kick effectively restores the goalscoring opportunity so the punishment for the player should be less strong (e.g. a yellow card) than when the offence is committed outside the penalty area. However, when the offence is handball or clearly not a genuine attempt to play or challenge for the ball, the player will be sent off."

Penalty Feints:
    Among several minor changes to the laws regarding penalties, potentially the most interesting is the amendment to yellow card a penalty taker who "illegally feints" once his run-up is complete. This means slowing to a stop immediately before shooting is not allowed, with a yellow card and an indirect free-kick to the opposition the result.

The law does stress feinting during a run-up is still permitted.

On Team Officials getting in trouble (I.e manager sent to stands):
    Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone was sent to the stands in April after a member of his backroom team threw a ball onto the pitch during a La Liga game in an attempt to interrupt an opponent's attack.

To address what was threatening to become a growing trend, the law has been changed so that if play is stopped due to interference from a team official or substitute, rather than the award of an indirect free-kick or drop ball, the referee will now award a free-kick or penalty kick to the opposition.

On giving out to the ref:
    Running to contest decisions, arguing face-to-face with officials, and "visibly disrespectful" actions will result in yellow cards.

Red cards will be issued to players who confront officials and use insulting and/or offensive language or gestures towards them.

....no doubt there will be some confusing and controversial moments this season anyway.

Rooney might find the ref one tough :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Off topic for a second,

Anyone know where Pro.f is?

I think he's on an enforced holiday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement