Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava/Garmin mismatch

Options
  • 30-06-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience of this? I did 115km today (not easy) and Garmin Connect is picking it up right but strava seems to have misplaced 5km on me. I was trying to get my Gran Fondo badge so not that impressed. :D

Any ideas?

using an edge 200 fwiw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Anyone have any experience of this? I did 115km today (not easy) and Garmin Connect is picking it up right but strava seems to have misplaced 5km on me. I was trying to get my Gran Fondo badge so not that impressed. :D

Any ideas?

using an edge 200 fwiw.

How do you know the Garmin hasn't over measured the distance and Strava corrected it? There's nothing you can do about it, Strava will always differ to Garnin in terms of distance and elevation, there probably is a way of correcting it but I'm not sure how.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that because strava will match your garmin route to the segments already recorded (potentially inaccurately) by other riders?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

How do you know the Garmin hasn't over measured the distance and Strava corrected it? There's nothing you can do about it, Strava will always differ to Garnin in terms of distance and elevation, there probably is a way of correcting it but I'm not sure how.

Well, i don't obviously but 5km is a massive difference and i'm inclined to believe i did the 115km having been out there for the guts of 5 hours today :)

is that because strava will match your garmin route to the segments already recorded (potentially inaccurately) by other riders?

Possibly. I was doing the Corkagh Park loop for about 80km of the ride and the rest was just my usual commute and a bit around the area i do regular enough. I did about 60 there at the weekend though and no such mismatch...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I reckon its the loops that mixed it up there. That could well account for the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

I'd map out the route you did on strava vs mapmyride to see what the difference is (if you can be bothered)

• Advertisement

I reckon its the loops that mixed it up there. That could well account for the difference

It could and in fairness ive never done as many loops around it as I did today but i've come close and not had issues before. Just one of those things I guess. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

FWIW, I use an Edge 200 and I've only had differences of 100 meters with Strava. Usually the two agree. 5km seems like a big discrepancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Never seen it with distance but always see it with average speed. Strava always reports my average speed as slightly slower than my garmin edge 810. Pain in the ass. I read up and strava uses its own algorithms to calculate your average speed, even though your garmin does it for you and would give a more accurate result! Really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Never seen it with distance but always see it with average speed. Strava always reports my average speed as slightly slower than my garmin edge 810. Pain in the ass. I read up and strava uses its own algorithms to calculate your average speed, even though your garmin does it for you and would give a more accurate result! Really annoying.

Agreed. Average speed is always lower on Strava.

Elevation is also different but that depends if your device has an on board barometer or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So did you pop back out and hit the target? I just realised that it's now the first of the month had planned to do some hills on the way home to hit 8000m in June :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ted1 wrote: »
    So did you pop back out and hit the target?...
    The OP is referring to the Gran Fondo challenge which is one single ride - the clock is reset for any subsequent ride. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Strava is a bit of a bollix, always chopping off kms and KoM efforts. I did a spin on Zwift last night, 100km on the button but Strava thinks it was 99.9km, what a mean spirited website. In fairness, there have been one or two occasions where I've ended up with slightly better stats on Strav than Garmin, but normally it's the other way round.

The OP is referring to the Gran Fondo challenge which is one single ride - the clock is reset for any subsequent ride. ;)

Sadly so. :(

Ive raised a ticket, they probably can't fix the ride itself but they can give me the badge im sure. As far as I'm concerned I done it. Up bright and early today to knock this month's 130 challenge on the head as quickly as possible. Ill do 150 just to be on the safe side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Sorry Dan, just realised you did a load of laps of circuit now so my idea is completely useless :D

It will be interesting to see do Strava they do anything for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Koobcam wrote: »
    Strava is a bit of a bollix, always chopping off kms and KoM efforts. I did a spin on Zwift last night, 100km on the button but Strava thinks it was 99.9km, what a mean spirited website. In fairness, there have been one or two occasions where I've ended up with slightly better stats on Strav than Garmin, but normally it's the other way round.

I don't get why with garmin connect, it accepts the data without 'sanitising' it and strava can't do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I live nearish to box hill, and every time I go for a PB up that bleedin' hill, Garmin/Strava record my effort as being twenty meters off the road to the north. My PB on Strava (where my peers can see it) is probably a good 30 seconds slower than my actual PB. So frustrating. I reckon it's caused by tree cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

gaffmaster wrote: »
    I live nearish to box hill, and every time I go for a PB up that bleedin' hill, Garmin/Strava record my effort as being twenty meters off the road to the north. My PB on Strava (where my peers can see it) is probably a good 30 seconds slower than my actual PB. So frustrating. I reckon it's caused by tree cover.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=42262 :pac:

Finally heard back off them, they were able to see the difference and they changed it to the reading from the device and gave me my badge. Result. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Finally heard back off them, they were able to see the difference and they changed it to the reading from the device and gave me my badge. Result. :)

You could of course have fixed this yourself - just export the ride from Strava, correct the resulting xml file (either manually or with the help of some visualizing tool such as GPX Editor), reload the result and if you're happy, delete the original.

Or course there would be lots of temptation to, well you know, maybe add a little bit more distance. Or to edit the times a bit. Shur, what harm would it do ;)

P.S. Just noticed the digitalepo.com site is no longer with us, a sad day for all cheaters :(

Advertisement