Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple awarded right to disable Phone cameras at concerts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Airplane mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Somewhat misleading headline. They've patented the idea, but there's no indication that such technology actually exists yet. Companies file speculative patents like this all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Somewhat misleading headline. They've patented the idea, but there's no indication that such technology actually exists yet. Companies file speculative patents like this all the time.

They also patented a while back some parachute mechanism that opens when you drop your phone so it doesn't smash so I'd image 99% of stuff they (and others like them) patent never sees the light of day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

sugarman wrote: »

Why like? For a crappy shakky almost inaudible clip you'll never watch back.

That's the thing. Does anyone ever go back and watch the crap they record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

It's so they can bore the shoite out of everyone they know showing off where they have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Unfortunately some people do, they even post it in threads here for you to luxuriate in all their piss poor visual glory with poorer sound quality than an Edison cylinder.

Shot to death (or at least a solid bruising) with balls of their own narcissistic sh1te they should be.

That's a really ****ty article, they've got a patent, they've not got the right to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I doubt they do. I have watched several on youtube though, maybe only half a song unless its a very good recording. I like to see it from a different perspective, I would not be bothered rewatching what I saw myself.

I also like to check out bands I am considering going to see who I am not sure about. This has luckliy let me miss some which would have been crap and catch some I might not have bothered going to.

Don Henley has asked for none at his Dublin gig this week.

http://www.thejournal.ie/no-texting-don-henley-concert-2850623-Jun2016/
    FANS HEADING TO the Don Henley concert in Dublin this weekend are being told to keep their phones strictly turned off at all times.
    Any kind of mobile use – including texting, calling, taking photos or videos – has been banned from the Eagle co-founder’s solo show at the 3Arena on Friday night.
    “The use of mobile phones, cameras and recording devices is strictly prohibited in the auditorium during the performance,” concert organisers Aiken Promotions, said in a statement today.
    In order to maximise your enjoyment as well as the enjoyment of those around you, please turn off your mobile phones and other electronic devices during the concert.
    Please do not text during the concert. Please refrain from the use of any mobile device during the performance.
    Most concerts are a sea of mobile phones as fans take video recordings and document the performance on social media.
    But Henley has a big problem with it.
    During the Eagles tour of Australia last year, he repeatedly told younger fans to pocket their mobiles, saying he was “sick of seeing Apple logos instead of faces” when he looked into the crowd.
    In an interview with PBS last year, Henley said people “need to be in the moment”.
    “Texting is distracting to people around you,” he said. “Holding your phone up to take a photograph blocks the view of the person behind you.

“We ask people as politely as we know how before each concert to please be with us in the moment.

We all have trouble being in the present these days. We’re always somewhere else. So we ask them to please forego the phones and just be there with us in the moment and just enjoy the concert with their eyeballs, rather than through a viewfinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I thought this was a thing already
    I was at a gig in 2011 wher megadeth played
    I recorded the whole set on my phone but only the one sons they played mid set had no audio

Snarky Snark Snark

rubadub wrote: »
    Don Henley has asked for none at his Dublin gig this week..

There was a ticketbastard e-mail on it too, happy out if they enforce it, taking me ma to it and really lookin forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

There was a ticketbastard e-mail on it too, happy out if they enforce it, taking me ma to it and really lookin forward to it.

Enjoy, he was excellent in Cork. They adhered to the mobile ban and he thanked them for it but of course the gobsh1tes couldn't resist recording his last song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

sugarman wrote: »
    Would love to see this, akin to some sort of signal jammer bar 999.

Nothing worse than twats at gigs in front of you blocking the view recording the whole thing through their phone.

Why like? For a crappy shakky almost inaudible clip you'll never watch back.

Agreed. It's a real bugbear of mine after people talking through gigs and the random dickheads who decide that towards the end of the gig they want to hear the rest of it up the front and shove everyone out of their way who was there before them. For some reason it's usually couples but I digress....

The camera thing I can't see coming to fruition. If Apple brought that out you'd just have more people buying Samsung phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Strumms wrote: »
    If Apple brought that out you'd just have more people buying Samsung phones.

Apple do a lot more objectionable stuff than this and people still buy their stuff.

The technology sounds like it might prevent any regular camera phone recording stuff.

It says infrared technology. Most if not all camera phones pick up infrared already, its a way to test it your infrared remote controls are working. I use it when repairing remotes, you aim your phone at it and press a button and you will see a light on the camera phone even though its invisible to the naked eye.

I imagine it would effect some people who could go home with headaches after a gig aftering being blasted with infrared beams all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The other question to be asked is would it be legal ? As much as I hate camera phones at gigs and the arseholes that use them... there are issues of civil liberty and also.... where does it stop ? Museums ? Your workplace ? Pubs ? Other public gatherings where the recording of events by the public and holding public officials to account is important only to be told by others that they will deploy technology to prohibit and stop it ? Bit of a slippery slope

Snarky Snark Snark

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Enjoy, he was excellent in Cork. They adhered to the mobile ban and he thanked them for it but of course the gobsh1tes couldn't resist recording his last song.

You were not wrong, some set list for a gig and his band were superb even the song with just the three girls singing, the last resort was outstanding.

Serious number of ball bags at it though, unable to not whistle like foghorns and the usual tosses who keep screaming and whooping. Are people not capable of staying in their seats and actually listening to the music they paid good money to hear any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You were not wrong, some set list for a gig and his band were superb even the song with just the three girls singing, the last resort was outstanding.

Serious number of ball bags at it though, unable to not whistle like foghorns and the usual tosses who keep screaming and whooping. Are people not capable of staying in their seats and actually listening to the music they paid good money to hear any more?

It baffles me how they pay big money to go to a concert then get polluted drunk and talk the whole way through it, if they want to do that go the the pub. I heard one drunk on the way out of the concert saying that he was alright but not great :rolleyes: I felt like asking him to name two songs that he sang.

Yeah, the last resort was brilliant.

Advertisement