Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DS5: A beauty or a nightmare?

• 30-06-2016 9:38pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking at the DS5. I haven't seen one in the flesh but just in pics and it looks gorgeous.
    The exterior is sleek and the interior with lots of buttons and lights and dials and 3 sunroofs:pac:. with seats that look so comfortable (I've even seen one for sale with red leather). Lots of comfort, lots of style.

This is how I would've drawn the car of the future as a kid in 1978.

But is this a marriage of French flair and sturdy build quality or is it pure French folly that'll break your heart quicker than a foreign exchange student at a junior disco?

There's so much right with this car but on the other hand there's probably so much that could go wrong.

There's so few of them on the roads, it'd be nice to have something unusual.

I'm going to be buying this time next year. It would have to be an automatic version and price wise I'd be looking at the 2012-'14 year models although they appear to depreciate fairly steeply and rapidly.

Has anyone any experience of this model either 1st hand or anecdotally?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

Just make sure you get a drive in one. I got lift in one in France. Interior finish was fantastic, but ride was very disappointing. Very firm. Not at all what you would expect from a Citroen.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah it seams to lose a star or two in the magazine reviews because of the ride quality however on Owner reviews that seems to be less of an issue.

I have an 05 swb Vitara which (whilst I like it) is a bit like a bail of briquettes on a skateboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

I rented one in France lately, build quality seemed spot on, comfort was average (on par with what you'd get in a german equivalent), which was disappointing coming from a citroën but still more than adequate. Mind you, that was on french motorways, might not be the same on irish back roads ;)

Engine was strong and frugal (diesel).

I'd definitely consider it provided it goes as well on the roads i drive on here. Strong value for money as well if you can find a good second hand one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

blackbox wrote: »
    Interior finish was fantastic, but ride was very disappointing. Very firm. Not at all what you would expect from a Citroen.

I was considering buying one myself. The 2013+ models are supposed to be an improvement over the 2012 in terms of ride comfort.

I think they look great.

I see they come in either 1.6 desiel and petrol or 2.0 diesel or petrol, there's also a 2.0 hybrid.
    My car's got to be automatic and I only do about 12k km a year. 65% city driving. Are these engines good and I wonder are they cheap tax? It'd be the '13 onwards.

I saw one today but it flew past me at a roundabout. It was powder blue- I don't think that colour suits it. Gun metal or black I think would look smarter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

Had a test drive in one sometime back for such a large car space in the back is not great ..

Had a good look at these today out in Airside. Without a test drive there are a couple of things that don't make this suitable for myself.

Style wise it is fab! (almost): I wouldn't be convinced that all the exterior chrome detailing is going to stand the test of time both physically or visually.
    The design of the rear isn't convincing to me, it slopes away a lot sharper than I'd perceived in photos. It doesn't look 100% right to my aesthetic eye.

In the cabin it is glorious! But not suitable for me or (more importantly) my partner's needs. The car isn't as high as I'd imagined. I thought it was closer to SUV height but it's really only marginally higher than a standard saloon.
    For a car with so many windows it's a pity none of them appear much use for looking out of towards the road and in particular the rear. it'd be brilliant for aeroplane spotters though. I felt like a German turret gunner peeking out over The English Channel.
    In the rear the seats are a bit tight and oddly the head room is mean (that sharply sloping back styling exterior isn't working in here either). There'd be no way a 6'4" Charles De Gaul would be carried around the streets of the 17th in this car.

But for every cloud....The DS4 is lovely! Shorter but tidier than the DS5. All round the exterior styling is primmer with no excess of chrome detailing.

The interior doesn't have the Wow factor of it's rich aunty but it has plenty of Ooooh factor. It has a lot less glass than the DS5 exploration submarine but the glass it has allows the driver to see out onto the road a lot better and it has a slightly higher seating position than the DS5.
    You can close the boot door without asking rear seat passengers to lean forward too, which is nice.

I know nothing about the DS4 options so that's my Saturday afternoon internet browsing sorted...

Anyone have any experience of the DS4?

**EDIT**: DS4 is way too awkward for rear passengers to get in and out and their windows are static too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

blackbox wrote: »
    Just make sure you get a drive in one. I got lift in one in France. Interior finish was fantastic, but ride was very disappointing. Very firm. Not at all what you would expect from a Citroen.

The current ones are much better for ride. Still not in the same league as the old magic carpet ride Citroens, but much improved but you'll be looking at 2015 cars cars and newer.

Advertisement