Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you trying to make me use AdBlock??

Options
  • 30-06-2016 9:43pm

390379.PNG

I'm sorry but an ad this size, which forces the page to top load is insane. That is a snip of my entire screen, not just a portion.
    I happily accept ads are needed here but not this, it is frikken huge and seeing as I don't like companies tracking my purchases it throws up any random crap (there has been comments before how people were getting inappropriate "dating" ads)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Are you saying there are still people on the internet without adblock????

*shudder*

Steve wrote: »

*shudder*

I tended to ignore it but only recently does it force me to the top of the page when moving between the internal tabs of Latest Posts/My Forums/Etc

But yeah ads don't tend to bother me unless they make noise, are animated or are frikken huge

*shudder*

Oh and tut tut.
    A Cat Mod blocking revenue streams ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

A Cat mod gets subscription privileges and so doesn't see ads here regardless of his AdBlock status.

However, to your own issue - I hate to have to be blunt, but we've been running with those ads for 2, maybe even 3 years at this stage. We can't sell smaller units, no one wants to buy them :( I'm not sure why you're only seeing them now, but I can assure you, they're not new.

I've never had the page jump to the ad when swapping between the forum filter tabs before.

Defaults to "Latest Posted" that's fine but if I select My Forums, My Threads etc it force points the screen to the top of the page, that used not happen.

• Advertisement

I've never had the page jump to the ad when swapping between the forum filter tabs before.

Defaults to "Latest Posted" that's fine but if I select My Forums, My Threads etc it force points the screen to the top of the page, that used not happen.

Well that sounds like a bug of some sort, let me ask the tech team to take a look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Oh and tut tut.
    A Cat Mod blocking revenue streams ;)

My point was that there are easier ways to deal with 'annoying' ads on any site. Bringing it up here, whilst valid, causes a waste of scarce office and tech resources that are badly needed fixing other stuff. No offence meant by that, just mods are privvy to a more detailed picture of what is broken on the site and ads aren't in the top 10. :)

My point was that there are easier ways to deal with 'annoying' ads on any site. Bringing it up here, whilst valid, causes a waste of scarce office and tech resources that are badly needed fixing other stuff. No offence meant by that, just mods are privvy to a more detailed picture of what is broken on the site and ads aren't in the top 10. :)

I was joking to be fair.

I always thought that ads were an important revenue stream, which is why I don't activate adblock on here. They don't bother me and allows the site to get some cash.

That banner ad taking control of the screen is obtrusive however and would change my stance on it (and potentially others)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

The super sensitive ads on the touch site would drive you demented. Everytime you scroll down you almost always end up opening a poxy ad link.

My data is limited enough, I'm not wasting it on crap

• Registered Users Posts: 83,085 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm on an unlimited plan but agree the touchy touch ads can sometimes be annoying. At least they aren't like when you read a Facebook article and the page keeps trying to redirect you to your App Store.

• Advertisement

We have posted video proof that our touch screen ads aren't "more sensitive" whatever that means. That's not a thing we have control over. I hate to be blunt, but it's user error that causes additional ad clicks, not Boards skulduggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Better move over to the ad blocker browser for mobile so

• Registered Users Posts: 83,085 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dav wrote: »
    We have posted video proof that our touch screen ads aren't "more sensitive" whatever that means. That's not a thing we have control over. I hate to be blunt, but it's user error that causes additional ad clicks, not Boards skulduggery.

No disrespect but it would be less of a problem if there was a clear(er) border before the ad, so as the user is scrolling they don't assume their thumb is about to move to the next post in the thread. That IME is what results in accidental clicking of ad links unintentionally. Not to say I don't click on ads of interest, I just prefer when its with mutual consent :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Front page of bargain alerts at the moment. Looks pretty shoddy to be honest391075.png

EDIT: Boo to new site not allowing me to have the hyper link to the attached file till I post

OK, that's not how it's supposed to be, I will have the guys look at that tomorrow morning, thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

An ad blocker is just essential kit these days unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Dav wrote: »

To be entirely reasonable, it's not either. It's touchscreen phones still not quite having ironed out being able to tell the difference between a scroll and a click when overly stretched in terms of processing.

iPhones are notorious for this when their RAM is stretched. You press and hold to scroll, but because the phone is slow to notice your scrolling motion, the browser interprets it as a tap before the OS can tell it to scroll instead, which means you end up scrolling on a newly loaded ad tab.

Not Boards' fault, not the user's fault, and probably not really the phone manufacturer's fault either - just an occupational hazard of touch screen gestures.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Keep getting a hard lock since late last night when scrolling pages on Touch site, I thought it was gone but just happened again, seems to be some sort of advert doing it...

Chrome fully updated, Nexus 5, Android 6.0.1

If I can find the advert I'll post here again...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Found it...

3 Meteor adverts causing the hard lock on my device.

Obviously memory hogging or something compared to the other advertisements...

Advertisement