Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swearing on tv / radio etc

Options
  • 30-06-2016 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

whats your view on swearing on TV and radio papers etc and other media ? - are we heading into times where say the 9pm watershed will be abolished?

are swear words just words at the end of the day, do you think the problem with profanities is the problem of people getting offended to certain words ?

Do you think that people have become desensitised to swear words these days and that as swearing is commonplace almost everywhere these days, in the streets, on social media and other places at any time of the day that the 9PM watershed rule on TV and radio is outdated these days.

But hand on heart would you really like to live in a world where you turn on TV and no swearing is barred or open up a newspaper and see all words displayed as is (ie not starred out) and headlines on the front of papers with swearing in the big headline ... but then if swearing is allowed to go ahead and not banned then what next? - would the ban on images then , say sexual images etc have to be lifted then for people who are not offended by them and sexual images on TV at any time of the day because you can view sexual images on the Internet at any time of the day ? - where does it stop?

Would you feel different if you didnt have young children or if you have children do you not care about what swear words are used these days and at what times on TV Radio and newspapers? -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Andy, how long have you lived here? Swearing has always been part of life in Ireland, in every day life and in the media. It is different in the UK in the media, but surely this isn't something you have only just noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

They're just words. I couldn't give a flip, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I remember when Feck caused blue murder in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

muddypaws wrote: »
    Andy, how long have you lived here? Swearing has always been part of life in Ireland, in every day life and in the media. It is different in the UK in the media, but surely this isn't something you have only just noticed.

I know it is - in a nutshell I am asking why is there a watershed then (especially in Ireland then) and do people think its outdated these days or do they want no holes barred swearing on TV 24hrs a day and in Newspapers and on radio 24hrs a day (its what we are heading to anyway as far as I can see it as the years roll on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

'Daddy pig! You Fat fu*Ker!' Shouted grandad dog.

'F*ck you grandad dog you sh1te hawking cnut!' replied daddy pig.

Would love to see the show but no. I prefer my kids not to hear swearing on television and radio. Watershed at 9 is best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

are swear words just words at the end of the day

Yes. They only carry whatever weight you put on them.

Look at the F word and I mean lool at it, type it out and look at it. It is a ridiculous word that in another universe could easily be used as onomatopoeia for the sound a boot makes when pulled out of squelchy mud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The watershed should be retained. If only because it's much easier to convince to go to bed when there's only news on at 9 o'clock

Of course any channels that can be filtered need not have a watershed. All the pay channels have this option already.

*looks at the time*

"gosh darn it to heck"

• Registered Users Posts: 35,933 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Time erodes values .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I know it is - in a nutshell I am asking why is there a watershed then (especially in Ireland then) and do people think its outdated these days or do they want no holes barred swearing on TV 24hrs a day and in Newspapers and on radio 24hrs a day (its what we are heading to anyway as far as I can see it as the years roll on)

Is there a watershed in Ireland? Never noticed, with the swearing I hear on the radio especially.

• Advertisement

if you were having an argument with the powers that be who enforce the watershed on TV say (who would that be in Ireland is it broadcasting standards authority?) well if you said to them that 7 year old kids hears the f-word, c word, and all the other swear words on the streets in schools and and everywhere these days and in fact we parents say it in our house all the time then what comeback would the powers that be come back with why they should ban it until after 9pm then? - if it is commonplace in every day life - should there still be a watershed at all ? - whether it be free to air public owned broadcasting channels or whatever channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I listen to alot of podcasts, or watch youtube videos .
    The thing that annoys me is people that swear every 5 minutes ,
    ff'fing this , i don,t think they even know they are doing it .
    eg this film is fffng awful .
    Some people seem to swear at random ,its almost a medical problem ,
    like tourettes syndrome .
    I have no problem with swearing in drama,s or films ,that reflects real life .
    IF someone was robbing your car you might swear ,
    if an actor is portraying a drug dealer or gangster it would be strange if he used no bad language at all.
    I think swearing is ok after 9pm on tv drama,s .
    children watch daytime tv,
    it would be a shame to have swearing on any program at any time.
    I presume tv presenters are told not to swear at least before 9pm.

Is there a watershed in Ireland? Never noticed, with the swearing I hear on the radio especially.

depends what radio station you listen too I dont know if there are any broadcasting rules in Ireland but yeah some of the Irish radio stations and especially the ones targeting a younger audience certainly have a no-holes barred attitude these days - but once it gets popular it also loses its 'cutting edge' 'out to shock' factor then

If TV companies and radio station said we are lifting the watershed these days and they cited that children are subject to hearing swearing at any time of the day in real life especially these days - what would you say to that? - would they have a point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

If TV companies and radio station said we are lifting the watershed these days and they cited that children are subject to hearing swearing at any time of the day in real life especially these days - what would you say to that? - would they have a point?

Random swearing by randomers and people they know is different to the way swearing can be used on tv. Scripts are planned affairs and swearing can be targetted in such different ways as to be insidious. I do not swear around children but I know others do. My children know what words are swear words but they know not to use them. (In front of me anyway) It teaches them acceptability in social situations.

Letting television producers loose on daytime swearing is unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

There is a watershed in television. It's 21.00.

I don't think there is a watershed in radio, but radio stations and their presenters are recommended to make sure bad language is not used in live broadcasts, and if it is, to apologise for it afterwards.

Then again I heard 'shit' used repeatedly on breakfast radio this morning and no apology was made, so they obviously don't stick to the letter of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

FortySeven wrote: »
    'Daddy pig! You Fat fu*Ker!' Shouted grandad dog.

'F*ck you grandad dog you sh1te hawking cnut!' replied daddy pig.

Would love to see the show but no. I prefer my kids not to hear swearing on television and radio. Watershed at 9 is best.

Peppa Pig is a **** of a show without the swearing anyway. I have weaned my ones of it over the past 6 months and there's been an notable improvement in their behaviour.

OK how about Daytime news programmes - presumably if there is swearing on a daytime news programme the word would be bleeped out. If children were out on the streets at that particular time they would not be afforded a beep or a cut in sound . Same goes for images. The other day I saw on RTE 9 o'clock news they showed the full F- word daubed on the Polish building in the UK (I dont know whether they showed it on 6-one news) - I then tuned into SkyNews at 10pm and they blurred out the F-word.

- who was right between the 2?

And any child that walks past buildings these days can openly view graffiti of f-words (and worse) ... so would it be unusual seeing the words on the news article at any time of the day?

To blur or not to blur ... that is the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

Hate songs with edits/mixes for radio/TV either swear (have broadcasters ban your song and get to number one on the publicity) or dont swear but stop trying to have it both ways.
    - are we heading into times where say the 9pm watershed will be abolished? -

Its never existed in Ireland its a UK thing (like class A drugs) which for some reason everyone assumes is also the case in Ireland.

maudgonner wrote: »
    There is a watershed in television. It's 21.00.

I don't think there is a watershed in radio, but radio stations and their presenters are recommended to make sure bad language is not used in live broadcasts, and if it is, to apologise for it afterwards.

Then again I heard 'shit' used repeatedly on breakfast radio this morning and no apology was made, so they obviously don't stick to the letter of the law.

when the sh!t and the piss are rolled out frequently without a blink of an eye and no complaints it will make a pathway for the f-words and other swear words more than likely.

I have heard the F-word (FU) on radio stations as iRadio and 2FM before sometimes around 3pm or 6pm .. and no apoligies given ... or an apology with a laugh or quickly moved on in which case its a 'false apology' , in other words if they laugh as they give an apology and will not get pulled up on it or a fine or curb it next time in which case its not a serious apology so they might as well have not have even give an apology in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My Dragons Den idea is for a switch to be on the TV/Radio that you could press where it would turn off the device and you would no longer hear what you didn't want to, I predict a market of around 10% of the population...

OK how about Daytime news programmes - presumably if there is swearing on a daytime news programme the word would be bleeped out. If children were out on the streets at that particular time they would not be afforded a beep or a cut in sound . Same goes for images. The other day I saw on RTE 9 o'clock news they showed the full F- word daubed on the Polish building in the UK (I dont know whether they showed it on 6-one news) - I then tuned into SkyNews at 10pm and they blurred out the F-word.

- who was right between the 2?

And any child that walks past buildings these days can openly view graffiti of f-words (and worse) ... so would it be unusual seeing the words on the news article at any time of the day?

To blur or not to blur ... that is the question

You could say that about anything though. We don't allow advertising on children's programming slots. Yet if a kid goes to a toyshop they will see toys everywhere. If they go to the supermarket they will see unhealthy food that is targeted at them.

We don't allow alcohol advertising to be targeted at children in any way, yet if they pass a pub they will see people drinking. They may see their parents having a drink at home - that doesn't mean Guinness should be allowed to tailor their ads to appeal to 12 year-olds.

Codes of practice in broadcasting aren't designed to make programming echo the real world. They're meant to protect more vulnerable viewers & listeners from being harmed or unduly influenced by broadcast media, which can have an incredibly powerful effect on society and on individuals.

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »
    ....Its never existed in Ireland its a UK thing (like class A drugs) which for some reason everyone assumes is also the case in Ireland.

thats an interesting one - so there is and has never been a watershed in ireland your saying? - just an assume or a unofficial guideline that most broadcasters follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Ssshhhhhh the ofcom crowd are watching

My Dragons Den idea is for a switch to be on the TV/Radio that you could press where it would turn off the device and you would no longer hear what you didn't want to, I predict a market of around 10% of the population...

what would this said switch be called? :D

when the sh!t and the piss are rolled out frequently without a blink of an eye and no complaints it will make a pathway for the f-words and other swear words more than likely.

I have heard the F-word (FU) on radio stations as iRadio and 2FM before sometimes around 3pm or 6pm .. and no apoligies given ... or an apology with a laugh or quickly moved on in which case its a 'false apology' , in other words if they laugh as they give an apology and will not get pulled up on it or a fine or curb it next time in which case its not a serious apology so they might as well have not have even give an apology in the first place

Have you complained?

I think this is the fourth or fifth time I have posted this on AH, I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but if you have a problem with something that was broadcast there is a clear & defined complaints procedure that you can use. Go to the BAI website for details. You'll also find the code of practice on there, so you can make sure they have breached it, or decide whether you think it's not strict enough and needs to amended.

Moaning on boards will do absolutely no good. BAI complaints are taken seriously.

maudgonner wrote: »
    Have you complained?

I think this is the fourth or fifth time I have posted this on AH, I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but if you have a problem with something that was broadcast there is a clear & defined complaints procedure that you can use. Go to the BAI website for details. You'll also find the code of practice on there, so you can make sure they have breached it, or decide whether you think it's not strict enough and needs to amended.

Moaning on boards will do absolutely no good. BAI complaints are taken seriously.

i doubt if anything would be taken seriously - and i dont mean to sound like this, but it would not change anything - its the way the world is going. I watch and listen to both UK and Irish TV and radio and they are world aparts in the broadcasting scheme of things. I dunno whether its because the UK has more rules , maybe fines, maybe take complaints more serious.

on the radio side of things I listen to songs on Heart radio in the UK, they will blank out the swear words or unsuitable content in songs or wont play the risky songs at all - i even think they blank out the word b!tch haha - but you hear the radio stations over here play the songs with the words fully in it quite plainly - if there were any kind of broadcasting rules or fines or consequences you just know they wouldnt dare play them (maybe for fear of loosing their licences or getting a huge fine) - I have also noticed radio stations in UK having some kind of 5 second delay or something so if someone phones into a radio show and swears it doesnt make it onto live radio before the watershed - i am betting (although i cannot be sure) that radio stations over here dont employ or use that technology - in fact i am almost pretty sure of it because I have heard people phoning in and swearing on live radio shows (blaring out in petrol station forecourts and supermarkets and cafes at any time of day) - sometimes the radio presenter will apologise for the swearing ... sometimes they will laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

free for all after watershed, be some laugh! get rid of this pc nonsense!

i doubt if anything would be taken seriously - and i dont mean to sound like this, but it would not change anything - its the way the world is going. I watch and listen to both UK and Irish TV and radio and they are world aparts in the broadcasting scheme of things. I dunno whether its because the UK has more rules , maybe fines, maybe take complaints more serious.

on the radio side of things I listen to songs on Heart radio in the UK, they will blank out the swear words or unsuitable content in songs or wont play the risky songs at all - i even think they blank out the word b!tch haha - but you hear the radio stations over here play the songs with the words fully in it quite plainly - if there were any kind of broadcasting rules or fines or consequences you just know they wouldnt dare play them (maybe for fear of loosing their licences or getting a huge fine) - I have also noticed radio stations in UK having some kind of 5 second delay or something so if someone phones into a radio show and swears it doesnt make it onto live radio before the watershed - i am betting (although i cannot be sure) that radio stations over here dont employ or use that technology - in fact i am almost pretty sure of it because I have heard people phoning in and swearing on live radio shows (blaring out in petrol station forecourts and supermarkets and cafes at any time of day) - sometimes the radio presenter will apologise for the swearing ... sometimes they will laugh

BAI complaints are taken seriously. Because there is a procedure that has to be followed, and if they fail to follow it they will be in trouble.

It may be the case that it's not a serious enough breach to warrant much action. It may be the case that the broadcaster does just enough to cover their arse and then moves on. But the complaints procedure is taken seriously.

If you have a problem, do something about it. Otherwise the standards will never be enforced. If you're not willing to do something about it, then I'm sorry, but you're part of the problem. Which makes this thread a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

depends what radio station you listen too I dont know if there are any broadcasting rules in Ireland but yeah some of the Irish radio stations and especially the ones targeting a younger audience certainly have a no-holes barred attitude these days - but once it gets popular it also loses its 'cutting edge' 'out to shock' factor then

F_you_ck?

Advertisement