Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof me all year round from head to toe!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Are leather boots naturally waterproof or do you have to apply a wax to them?

I was on boggy ground recently and the material waterproof boots are very dirty on the outside and need to be dried out afterwards.

Would a leather boot be quicker to clean - just hose down?

My worry about leather is that it would be very warm and sweat in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Leather is naturally waterproof - it keeps cows dry anyway :D

Key thing with leather is to not put them under a radiator or in front of the fire - let them dry naturally. Using a heat source can crack the leather and definitely ages it faster. Just let them dry at room temperature. If wet inside stuff newspaper in there to help with the drying. Clean off any muck with lukewarm water - no need for soap usually.

After that a semi regular treatment of leather conditioner can be applied to extend the life of them. The likes of Graingers spray is usually fine. Apply it while the boots are damp for best results.

I don't find leather that much warmer than synthetic. Leather is heavier alright but lasts a hell of a lot longer if looked after properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'd be trying to avoid leather myself for ethical/environmental reasons so that's out for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

For environmental reasons? Is that a joke? How many miles a year do you drive in diesel vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks again folks. I think the outdry from columbia seemed like a good all rounder? I might still go for it, seems to have great feedback from Enduro (even though he's sponsored by them :D)

But I wouldn't like to get something I'd have to maintain, just wear it now and then when the weather demands it and it to last me years and years or as long as I don't rip it for squeezing through thorny bushes or ripping my crotch area on trousers trying to climb over something, or put my leg over the saddle of my bike :o

Cormie, do you by any chance work in the city centre. I've retired my original Outdry Extreme jacket, so I can give it to you to try one out if you want. It'll do for testing (2 years of destruction testing has only resulted in cosmetic issues from my own POV).

As ever, the warning applies that they sponsor me!

The Outdry extreme waterproof leggings are going extremely well. The only leggings I've owned that have survived both continuous cycling commuting and the Spine Race without damage.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    For environmental reasons? Is that a joke? How many miles a year do you drive in diesel vans?

Well animal agriculture accounts for more emissions than what the World's vehicles burn in use, but that's for another thread :)
    Enduro wrote: »
    Cormie, do you by any chance work in the city centre. I've retired my original Outdry Extreme jacket, so I can give it to you to try one out if you want. It'll do for testing (2 years of destruction testing has only resulted in cosmetic issues from my own POV).

As ever, the warning applies that they sponsor me!

The Outdry extreme waterproof leggings are going extremely well. The only leggings I've owned that have survived both continuous cycling commuting and the Spine Race without damage.

I would love that! I'm often in the city, could meet you no prob at your convenience one of the days!

I ended up ordering the outdry extreme diamond for ?132.50 here: http://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/mens-outdry%C2%AE-ex-diamond-shell-jacket-RM1016.html?dwvar_RM1016_variationColor=492#q=diamond+&start=8

I got it in Large to be able to fit warmer layers under for when it gets cold.

Enduro kindly gave me his to test but I didn't really get a chance and when I saw the price of the yellow diamond one, I just ordered it.

If anyone wants the old one let me know. It's been washed but it's got some oil stains that seem pretty impossible to remove (not from me :D) and one pocket zip has come off, I don't know how:confused:

Congrats by the way Enduro on your record :) it popped up on my facebook from someone I know, saw you wearing the outdry extreme too :D

Advertisement