Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atopica 50mg price

• 01-07-2016 7:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭

My lady has recently started on Atopica, 50MG dose. It's so expensive, costing €120 a month. Any suggestions on where to get it cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Do you have pet Insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/prescriptions/atopica-for-dogs-capsules-priced-per-capsule-50mg.html

You can get it cheaper from
    A few UK sites - but you will need to get the perscription from your vet in order to get it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You can, since about last year, get a generic form of Atopica called Cyclavance. I recently read an article in the Veterinary Journal that Cyclavance is producing better results than Atopica, one of the main reasons being that the owner is more likely to stick with the Cyclavance... It's much easier to administer, you can get the dosage spot on (Atopica comes in capsules of 25mg, 50mg, 100mg, but if your dog happens to come anywhere near falling between the dosage weight requirements, they always opt for the higher dosage... So a terrier can end up on the same dosage as a Cocker/Springer sized dog, and I think that increases the initial vomiting).
    With Cyclavance, you draw off precisely as much as you need for your dog's weight, so less "wastage", less vomiting (nothing worse than expensive meds being yakked back up).
    Buying the initial bottle of Cyclavance isn't much cheaper than Atopica, but that bottle generally lasts quite a bit longer, certainly with the dogs we've treated with Cyclavance, the cost has been cut by a third to a half of what Atopica was costing.
    Talk to your vet. There's no point in you being squeezed for money when there's a cheaper, and seemingly more effective* alternative.

*Whilst I've heard of some dogs that had not responded to Atopica, but got a great result with Cyclavance, I have also heard of the occasional dog for which the opposite was the case. This, however, is not an excuse at this early stage to not try the cheaper option!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Thank you all for your responses. Will def look into the generic version.
    No pet insurance unfortunately

Thank you all for your responses. Will def look into the generic version.
    No pet insurance unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Oh gosh I remember when my lab was on it it was so expensive! Luckily we have pet insurance. I started a thread a while ago about an alternative! Can't remember the name but cheaper than atopica. It is a totally different drug not a Generic version! It may it may not be an option ;)

Millem wrote: »
    Oh gosh I remember when my lab was on it it was so expensive! Luckily we have pet insurance. I started a thread a while ago about an alternative! Can't remember the name but cheaper than atopica. It is a totally different drug not a Generic version! It may it may not be an option ;)

That's Apoquel... Unfortunately the OP has tried it but it didn't work, against all expectations :(
    Really hoping your dog responds to Atopica or Cyclavance op :o

DBB wrote: »
    That's Apoquel... Unfortunately the OP has tried it but it didn't work, against all expectations :(
    Really hoping your dog responds to Atopica or Cyclavance op :o

Oh gosh didn't realise! Atopica is very expensive :(

She's off the steroids since Sunday and today is back chewing herself despite being on atopica for nearly 3 weeks. Hoping it's just a case of giving the Atopica more time to kick in. Really don't know where to go if it doesn't work 😢

She's off the steroids since Sunday and today is back chewing herself despite being on atopica for nearly 3 weeks. Hoping it's just a case of giving the Atopica more time to kick in. Really don't know where to go if it doesn't work 😢

I can't really remember much about atopica (my memory is dreadful!!). My girl is on steroids now yonks :( I thought thàt other drug might be an option but she gets ear infections. Do you use that shampoo....can't remember the name. I found that good :)

• Advertisement

Malaseb :)

DBB wrote: »
    Malaseb :)

That's the stuff! we also bought this spray online from the uk which is made from beeswax. I almost sure I hit the recommendation on here! Anyway I didn't find it of any use but may be worth a try. It's all natural stuff! Again sorry can't remember the name!!! :D

There's very little hope of me getting my lady into a sink or bath for a wash. Tried once and we were both left scarred for life!
    She's very nervous and forgets nothing. She was very upset after her first wash experience that I couldn't do it again. Anyways I don't think itd be enough to stop the scratching as her coat is very thick so would be hard to get it sitting on her skin like its recommended to.

There's very little hope of me getting my lady into a sink or bath for a wash. Tried once and we were both left scarred for life!
    She's very nervous and forgets nothing. She was very upset after her first wash experience that I couldn't do it again. Anyways I don't think itd be enough to stop the scratching as her coat is very thick so would be hard to get it sitting on her skin like its recommended to.

Irishlady we used to use wet the affected area, put on shampoo, leave it for whatever amount of time then rinse. Sometimes we would do her paws when she was on couch! I found it great stuff tbh.

Advertisement