Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extended warranty options

• 01-07-2016 9:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently imported a 2013 VW Touareg from the UK which has had full dealer servicing to date.

I'm interested in purchasing an extended warranty for the car and the only car warranty services I can find operating here are:

1. http://www.mapfrewar...y.ie/index.html who I'm not familiar with and they don't have an online quote option.

2. http://www.carprotect.ie who's top level cover costs €750 for TWO years with each claim limited to a maximum of €2,500 including VAT.

The Car Protect cover is summarised as follows:

Your Premier Complete policy covers All Mechanical & Electrical Components of the vehicle that were manufacturers original fitment, including failure of components attributed to wear and tear.

This product includes our comprehensive Premier Breakdown Cover, which includes Nationwide Recovery, Nationwide Assistance & Home Start as standard.

Please see the warranty booklet for full details of the cover provided.

The maximum amount payable on each individual claim inclusive of VAT is 2,500 euro.

There is no limit to the number of individual claims that can be made, however the maximum claim limit payable during the period of your warranty shall not exceed the retail value of your vehicle.

The main reason I want cover is to protect against major mishaps such as engine, gearbox etc but it seems to me that a cap of €2,500 including VAT isn't going to be sufficient.

This is completely new to me so I'd appreciate any input experienced members here can give me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Paying €750 for €2500 worth of cover is approximating the chances of a catastrophic failure at 1 in 3.

In reality you'll be stung either way. If the repair is €1500, you'll be covered sure, but 750 is a lot to pay for that. If the repair is €4000, you're out another €1500.

I'd be skeptical to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Paying €750 for €2500 worth of cover is approximating the chances of a catastrophic failure at 1 in 3.

In reality you'll be stung either way. If the repair is €1500, you'll be covered sure, but 750 is a lot to pay for that. If the repair is €4000, you're out another €1500.

I'd be skeptical to be honest.

Two years for €750, unlimited claims. Limit is only per claim - €2500...
    I don't get your maths here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The carprotect one looks interesting. €750 for 2 years (or €375 each) would cost me less than what I normally pay for servicing (my mileage means I need the car serviced about 2-3 times a year), plus you get wear and tear item cover, unlimited mileage, AND breakdown cover.

Only good from under 6 to up to 10 years old though which rules mine out but interesting for my next one maybe. Unless there's a catch I'm missing? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The carprotect one looks interesting. €750 for 2 years (or €375 each) would cost me less than what I normally pay for servicing (my mileage means I need the car serviced about 2-3 times a year), plus you get wear and tear item cover, unlimited mileage, AND breakdown cover.

Only good from under 6 to up to 10 years old though which rules mine out but interesting for my next one maybe. Unless there's a catch I'm missing? :)

I don't think "wear and tear" would cover the cost of routine maintenance. It would be good to know exactly what parts are covered by "wear and tear" e.g. brake discs, timing belt, clutch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't think "wear and tear" would cover the cost of routine maintenance. It would be good to know exactly what parts are covered by "wear and tear" e.g. brake discs, timing belt, clutch?

Ah yea.. I wouldn't be expecting it to cover standard servicing (oils and filters etc) but if it'd cover any bigger items like suspension bits or timing belts etc it would be good value I'd think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

From their pdf:

EXCLUDING
    Bodywork, paintwork, exterior trim, glass, mirrors, interior trim, door handles, and communication systems, in-car
    navigation equipment (unless selected as an option and the additional premium paid) and seating frames or runners.
    Light fittings and bulbs, wiper arms, exhaust systems, air bag systems, central locking remote control unit, seat belt
    systems, wheels and tyres, Diesel Particulate Filters & Sensors (unless selected as an option and the additional
    premium paid). Normal wear and tear/service items including but not limited to: plugs, leads, glow plugs, brake and
    clutch frictional material, wiper blades, cables, pipes, hoses, wiring, wiring looms and belts (timing belts are covered
    – please see special notes in Servicing Requirements).

Bolding my own, so it seems timing belts are covered

Edit: Here is link to their pdf of full details: Warranty Booklet

Thanks Cruizer101, that's really helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I wouldn't bother, major engine and gearbox failure very unlucky. Most aftermarket warranties are pretty hopeless. More likely are failures of the EGR, DPF, DMF all of which won't be covered by any warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Treat these aftermarket warranties like an insurance policy against mechanical failures. They don't offer the same cover as a proper warranty but can be useful, just make sure you read the fine print as they are usually full of exclusions and some of these companies can be very difficult to deal with when making a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

As someone who has used both Mapfre & Car Protect i would reccomend Car Protect. kike others have said its just an insurance policy of sorts, once you are fully aware of items covered there should be no issues, Any time ive had to claim its been very easy and straight forward, no bull****.

• Advertisement

As someone who has used both Mapfre & Car Protect i would reccomend Car Protect. kike others have said its just an insurance policy of sorts, once you are fully aware of items covered there should be no issues, Any time ive had to claim its been very easy and straight forward, no bull****.

That's a strong recommendation KS, thank you.

Advertisement