Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm Going Off for No Reason

Options
  • 01-07-2016 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a HKC alarm that was installed in August 2014.

When I got home from work yesterday the alarm was sounding, I checked the panel & it noted that there was an alarm incident in the hall. I looked around there was no sign of a break in but there was some junk mail on the ground so I put it down to that.

I went off to the gym and again on my return the alarm was sounding. This time the panel said the alarm incident was in the front bedroom (adjacent to the hall), again no sign of any forced entry.

Just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before and if they had any advice on how to sort it?

PS: The alarm has been disconnected from the phone since March (long Eir story) but I don't think this would be affecting it.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You have had one false alarm on the hall , I take it that's a PiR (Motion sensor)
    and one other activation on a front window.
    Is that right?
    If so I'd wait and see how it goes. Check the PiR for any dust or cob webs etc.
    If you get any more activation's on the window Id check the resistance on the zone giving trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

KoolKid wrote: »
    You have had one false alarm on the hall , I take it that's a PiR (Motion sensor)
    and one other activation on a front window.
    Is that right?
    If so I'd wait and see how it goes. Check the PiR for any dust or cob webs etc.
    If you get any more activation's on the window Id check the resistance on the zone giving trouble.

Thanks for your reply. It was 2 PiRs that caused the false alarms, 1 aimed at the front door and the other at the bedroom window.

Just gave them a bit of a clean and there was some small cob webs up around one of them alright.

How do u check the resistance? Is that just for a contact sensor?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It would be more so on a sensor. Are those PiRs facing windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Tim76 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. It was 2 PiRs that caused the false alarms, 1 aimed at the front door and the other at the bedroom window.

Just gave them a bit of a clean and there was some small cob webs up around one of them alright.

How do u check the resistance? Is that just for a contact sensor?

No, resistance can be checked on all devices.
    If you are getting two false alarms on powered devices I advise down powering your system and powering it back up.
    Was it a new battery that was installed in the system as old batteries have been known to cause issues with powered devices on a system?

altor wrote: »
    No, resistance can be checked on all devices.
    If you are getting two false alarms on powered devices I advise down powering your system and powering it back up.
    Was it a new battery that was installed in the system as old batteries have been known to cause issues with powered devices on a system?

It's mains powered as far as i know.

Do u know how I would power the system down and check resistance?

Got another false alarm during the middle of the night :eek:

• Advertisement

If it's a powered device like a PiR they will need to remain powered to check the resistance properly.
    Remove the zone pair from the panel and connect to multimeter leads with resistance set to 200 ohms.(This is important, if set higher readings will be less accurate) If there are any end of line resistors in the device remove them. Now note the resistance and see that it returns to the same value after each activation. If it's a PiR you are testing also make sure there is no changes in resistance while the device is clear.

If it's a powered device like a PiR they will need to remain powered to check the resistance properly.
    Remove the zone pair from the panel and connect to multimeter leads with resistance set to 200 ohms.(This is important, if set higher readings will be less accurate) If there are any end of line resistors in the device remove them. Now note the resistance and see that it returns to the same value after each activation. If it's a PiR you are testing also make sure there is no changes in resistance while the device is clear.

Cheers. Sounds like a job for the professionals tho!

Ahh it's easy enough, although I have seen some in this business struggle with the basics of resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Tim76 wrote: »
    It's mains powered as far as i know.

Do u know how I would power the system down and check resistance?

Got another false alarm during the middle of the night :eek:

If it is from the PIRs again did you get a chance to power them down and back up before the false alarms?

altor wrote: »
    If it is from the PIRs again did you get a chance to power them down and back up before the false alarms?

Sorry, if this is a stupid question but how exactly do I power down the PIRs?

• Advertisement

Just open it up and remove the + or - .
    In my experience if a PiR is false alarming regularly and its in a clean environment its usually the device needs replacing.

Just open it up and remove the + or - .
    In my experience if a PiR is false alarming regularly and its in a clean environment its usually the device needs replacing.

Thanks KoolKid. Will give it a go and keep an eye on it.

Advertisement