Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Gilmour

Options
  • 01-07-2016 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭

So many places I could place this thread, but decided on here:

Just back from a trip to Wroclaw to see David Gilmour perform ( Wife gave it to me as a birthday pressie...Bless Her ).

What a Gig, one of the best I have ever been to, and David also played a track I had never seen played live before:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-gilmour-one-of-these-days/

Not sure if there are stil tickets available for the remainder of the Gigs He's doing, but if there are, I can highly recommend getting to one of the venues.

One of these days You will become Comfortably Numb from Shining On You Crazy Diamond!:)

Comments

No gigs available in Dublin/Ireland yet. Thanks for the heads up, it might happen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Love his and floyds music (last album was pants though (both)) but the ****er seems to have a dislike for the idea of playing here. Wouldn't be surprised if he never does a gig here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

No gigs available in Dublin/Ireland yet. Thanks for the heads up, it might happen yet.

I'm no expert or have I inside kowledge, but I don't think David has much left in the 'tank'. There were times last Friday night when it appeared He was struggling with the voice, and when He played and sang 'Run Like Hell' He was wearing very dark sunglasses. How long can a 70 year old go on for?

This current tour ends with a few gigs in the Royal Albert Hall, and if those gigs are not sold out, I would encourage anyone interested to get a ticket. I have a feeling they might be His last....sadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,505 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What an incredible guitar player

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What an incredible guitar player

Last Saturday night at the Gig, there was the huge circle ( in the background ) on the biggest stage I have ever seen surrounded by lights, and they super imposed David ( and other members ) at various intervals in that circle. I was lucky to witness a Master making His guitar 'talk' to Him ( & The World also ) in that circle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Surprised he's still going. He looked old in 94 when I went to division bell tour. Fair play to him.

FortySeven wrote: »
    Surprised he's still going. He looked old in 94 when I went to division bell tour. Fair play to him.

That was one hell of a Tour. And for me PULSE is still the Greatest Live Album ever recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I was lucky enough to Gilmour at the Royal Albert Hall last year, and I'm going again to the final Royal Albert Hall show this year (Sept 30th).

Gilmour has a thing about playing "scenic" venues. He wants the concert go'ers experience to be enhanced not only by the performance, but also the venue itself. Ireland doesn't have such a venue, hence no Irish show.

This concept seems to be relaxed when he plays standard sports arenas in the States, but he seems intent on applying it in Europe, hence the RAH, Pompei and Circus Maximus etc.

After a lifetime of listening to Dark Side of the Moon, it was a surreal experience to hear songs like "Money" and "Time" live. I have seen Roger Waters play them live but its the musicianship that sets Gilmour apart.

Roll on September!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I have seen David on his solo tours in the National Stadium in 84 and the RAH in 2006 & 2015. Each concert was different and each was superb but I doubt I will travel to see him again. I cannot understand why he will not play even one night here, there's no doubt it would sell out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Any tickets for the RAH shows.....at decent prices??

• Advertisement

Further to my previous post regarding why Gilmour hasn't played Ireland, in which I offered the following...
    "Gilmour has a thing about playing "scenic" venues. He wants the concert go'ers experience to be enhanced not only by the performance, but also the venue itself. Ireland doesn't have such a venue, hence no Irish show.
    This concept seems to be relaxed when he plays standard sports arenas in the States, but he seems intent on applying it in Europe, hence the RAH, Pompei and Circus Maximus etc
    ."

I just read him reiterate his preference for "classic venues" in yesterdays Rolling Stone magazine. This is what he had to say...
    "God knows when we'll do it again. Setting out to find the nice, beautiful, classic venues has been fun. Those are few and far between in the States. We came to Radio City. It's a nice room, and you can see the difference. My objective is to find beautiful places. I am enjoying this one, but I think this will be enough for a while. I don't live my life on the road. I'm getting on a bit and there's a lot of other things in my life".

poundhound wrote: »
    Further to my previous post regarding why Gilmour hasn't played Ireland, in which I offered the following...
    "Gilmour has a thing about playing "scenic" venues. He wants the concert go'ers experience to be enhanced not only by the performance, but also the venue itself. Ireland doesn't have such a venue, hence no Irish show.
    This concept seems to be relaxed when he plays standard sports arenas in the States, but he seems intent on applying it in Europe, hence the RAH, Pompei and Circus Maximus etc
    ."

I just read him reiterate his preference for "classic venues" in yesterdays Rolling Stone magazine. This is what he had to say...
    "God knows when we'll do it again. Setting out to find the nice, beautiful, classic venues has been fun. Those are few and far between in the States. We came to Radio City. It's a nice room, and you can see the difference. My objective is to find beautiful places. I am enjoying this one, but I think this will be enough for a while. I don't live my life on the road. I'm getting on a bit and there's a lot of other things in my life".

Iveagh Gardens would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Flying over to the gig tomorrow. Really looking forward to it!

Adored the gig last year in the RAH. Brilliant atmosphere. You could see Polly Samson around the sound-desk taking pictures. There seemed to be a lot of kids in with the sound/lighting/video engineers. A real family event in there!

Was talking to a couple of hardcore Gilmour fans from the states last year that flew over and went to every night in the Albert Hall.

Any one else heading over this year?

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    Flying over to the gig tomorrow. Really looking forward to it!

Adored the gig last year in the RAH. Brilliant atmosphere. You could see Polly Samson around the sound-desk taking pictures. There seemed to be a lot of kids in with the sound/lighting/video engineers. A real family event in there!

Was talking to a couple of hardcore Gilmour fans from the states last year that flew over and went to every night in the Albert Hall.

Any one else heading over this year?

How I wish, How I wish I was going! Saw Him last June, and He's playing as well as ever. I even got to witness one of my all time favourite tracks played - first time He played it in 22 years - think it was Pulse the last time He played 'One Of These Days'

Haven't been to a Gig at the RAH, but have Pink Floyd on DVD playing there, simply amazing. They had a camera mounted right up in the dome, incredible.

Really hope You are left Comfortably Numb. ENJOY!

I'm flying over Friday morning for the last date on the tour. I went over last year and it was incredible.
    There are some recent changes to the setlist that I'm really looking forward to.
    Legendary artist in a legendary venue, can't wait!

poundhound wrote: »
    I'm flying over Friday morning for the last date on the tour. I went over last year and it was incredible.
    There are some recent changes to the setlist that I'm really looking forward to.
    Legendary artist in a legendary venue, can't wait!

I have a Friend flying in from Denmark for that Gig. SO jealous!

Shine on ALL You Crazy Diamonds:D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

For any of you planning on heading over in the coming days you have a great night ahead of you - I went on Sunday night (tickets courtesy of the presale code through this forum and a rush of blood to the head when the option was made available) and envy those that have the gig ahead of them.

Gilmour played close to a three hour set with a rough 50:50 breakdown between solo and Pink Floyd material. Although a Floyd fan for many years, I have only listened to Gilmours solo material a dozen times but enjoyed it in a live setting. The backing band are on the top of their game as you'd expect but Gilmour has class from stage presence to his guitar playing. The famous circle is mounted at the back of the stage and although I enjoyed the original animation and close ups of what was happening on stage, it can be a little sporadic about when it's used and can be a distraction sometimes with some of the more abstract (and overacted?) montages. A minor grumble all the same! The RAH is a stunning venue and really adds to the sense of occasion. There weren't any real added delays to gaining admission as they check ID while queuing so if you arrive at the venue 30 minutes in advance you'll be fine.

Highlights were Money (with extended jam) and very unexpected version of Fat Old Sun

In short, you won't be disappointed!

Setlist link here:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-gilmour/2016/royal-albert-hall-london-england-43fdef6b.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The actor Benidict Cumberbatch made a guest appearance with Gilmour for Comfortably Numb and does a commendable job too on the 28th at the Albert Hall.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I attended the final show on 30th Sept, all I'll say is... incredible!

Advertisement