Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round bales from topped grazing fields usage?

Options
  • 01-07-2016 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Grass went a bit strong, so the field was topped & cows left in - they left most of it behind & got 3 bales out of it. Can't use it for feed - so has anyone any ideas what to do with them?
    Could they be used for bedding next winter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

curioush wrote: »
    Grass went a bit strong, so the field was topped & cows left in - they left most of it behind & got 3 bales out of it. Can't use it for feed - so has anyone any ideas what to do with them?
    If its dry enough it could be, but doubt it is with the way the weather is at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 curioush

A bit wet alright about 24 hrs before baling. Looks like dumping it is the only available option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Put it into the dung pile

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Put it into the dung pile

They'll rot quicker if you use them as bedding first.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭C0N0R

The last day the discussion group was here we were discussing paddock bales and one of the lads who does a bit of baling said he made a few from after the paddock was grazed and supposedly the cows ate them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

C0N0R wrote: »
    The last day the discussion group was here we were discussing paddock bales and one of the lads who does a bit of baling said he made a few from after the paddock was grazed and supposedly the cows ate them!

Not a hope, I tried it a few times and they don't like preserved cow sh1t mixed with silage. I'd say that lad was hoping to make an extra few bales for some one that would believe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

curioush wrote: »

Why did you bother baling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Not a hope, I tried it a few times and they don't like preserved cow sh1t mixed with silage. I'd say that lad was hoping to make an extra few bales for some one that would believe him.

Mmm preserved cow sh1t. I can't think why they wouldn't be loving that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 curioush

@Sam Kade Grass was beginning to rot underneath..didn't fancy going around piking into the digger.

Advertisement