Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2005 Peugeot 407 1.6hdi

• 01-07-2016 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

How's it going folks. So here's the story. My husband's car went to heaven about a month ago and we have to sort a new motor this weekend.
    It will be our second car, used by himself to drive from Kildare to Blanch for work and collecting the two kids a couple of days and that's it. However, our budget is very, very tight. We are only looking to keep the car for about two years and get something decent then.
    With a budget of only €2,000 only :eek:
    Anyhow, just spotted a Peugeot 407 1.6hdi (2005) in a garage in Dublin. The reason it's appealing to us is it's NCT'ed until July 2017 and comes with a three month warranty and has been serviced. Would you touch it?
    Seen a Ford Focus Zetec 1.6td (2006) for the the same price in a garage in Kilmainham but no NCT. It's a trade sale. I know on paper a Ford would be a better buy but wary of a trade sale when the car hasn't been touched.
    My head is fried with cars! We just want something that goes and we won't have to pump hundreds in to considering what we are spending.
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 407 and Focus both share the same 1.6 diesel engine so one is no more reliable in that department than the other. That engine is not known for it's reliability and I'd have very little faith in an 11 year old 2k example.

Also some people seem to think that a NCT cert means that a car is mechanically sound, it's not an NCT cert means it's roadworthy on the day it was tested. Another thing, buying a 2k car from dealers is a big gamble as at this end of the market your not going to get much in the way of warranty as there is simply very little profit in that price range to be giving a good warranty with it. Most of the cars in this price range being sold by dealers are trade-in cast offs which will have no money spent on repairs by the dealer as their profit margin is tight as it is. Trade sales means no warranty or bought as seen so I don't see the benefit of paying for a dealer's service your not getting. Better off looking at private sellers, the risk is marginally worse but at least the seller knows a bit about the car having owned it of a period of time.

If your main concern is reliability and not having to pump money into the car then a 2k 407 or Focus with that engine is the last car you would want.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dufferlover

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 407 and Focus both share the same 1.6 diesel engine so one is no more reliable in that department than the other. That engine is not known for it's reliability and I'd have very little faith in an 11 year old 2k example.

Also some people seem to think that a NCT cert means that a car is mechanically sound, it's not an NCT cert means it's roadworthy on the day it was tested. Another thing, buying a 2k car from dealers is a big gamble as at this end of the market your not going to get much in the way of warranty as there is simply very little profit in that price range to be giving a good warranty with it. Most of the cars in this price range being sold by dealers are trade-in cast offs which will have no money spent on repairs by the dealer as their profit margin is tight as it is. Trade sales means no warranty or bought as seen so I don't see the benefit of paying for a dealer's service your not getting. Better off looking at private sellers, the risk is marginally worse but at least the seller knows a bit about the car having owned it of a period of time.

If your main concern is reliability and not having to pump money into the car then a 2k 407 or Focus with that engine is the last car you would want.

Cheers for that! Head is fried even more now! May enter a few car draws over the weekend! :rolleyes:

Problem is that most diesel cars for sale in the 2k price bracket will have had their better days behind them rather than in front of them. Good ones fetch good money while bad ones don't.

Bazz, would this be a better option on paper? Also a trade sale and has some rust. I wonder how much it would be to get it resprayed.
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/mazda/3/mazda-3-2005/10616081
    Sorry to be annoying you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

In that price range it is always better to look for private sale.

Something like that will cost you much less: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-4vvti-petrol-nct-2-17/12211188
    Bazz, would this be a better option on paper? Also a trade sale and has some rust. I wonder how much it would be to get it resprayed.

No - that's the same power-train again. As much I loved my Mazda3, I would not buy a modern diesel for that money...

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    In that price range it is always better to look for private sale.

Something like that will cost you much less: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-4vvti-petrol-nct-2-17/12211188

No - that's the same power-train engine again. As much I loved mine, I would not buy a modern diesel for that money...

Cheers for the tip! May go back to the drawing board and fast so! We just automatically veer towards diesels!

You need to ask yourself if that car could easily be fixed by spraying it then why hasn't the dealer done that and just asked for more money for it? The dealer is selling it as a trade sale because it needs money spent on it that he doesn't want to do and he doesn't want someone coming back to him with an issue. A cheap car from a dealer is cheap for a reason as they are not in the business of giving cars away. Trade sales are aimed at small or part time mechanics who know what they are looking at and have the means to repair them in their own time and cost so that they can sell them on for a small profit.

BTW that the same engine in the Mazda3 that is found in the 407 and Focus. Do you actually need a diesel car? In your price range you have better chance of finding a tidier more reliable petrol car than a diesel one.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You need to ask yourself if that car could easily be fixed by spraying it then why hasn't the dealer done that and just asked for more money for it? The dealer is selling it as a trade sale because he doesn't want to put money into it and doesn't want someone coming back to him with an issue. A cheap car from a dealer is cheap for a reason as they are not in the business of giving cars away.

BTW that the same engine in the Mazda3 that is found in the 407 and Focus. Do you actually need a diesel car? In your price range you have better chance of finding a tidier more reliable petrol car than a diesel one.

I'm haven't a notion if we need a diesel! I'm the stereotypical woman :D Himself is looking for a diesel because that's what us Irish seem to be in to these days, isn't it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'm haven't a notion if we need a diesel! I'm the stereotypical woman :D Himself is looking for a diesel because that's what us Irish seem to be in to these days, isn't it?!

Irish don't always make the best choices, do they?! ;P

grogi wrote: »
    Irish don't always make the best choices, do they?! ;P

True! It's going to be used from Newbridge to in or around Blanch or Clonee five days a week and won't be used at the weekend as we have our first/better car for that. At the moment it will only be used for a few KM a week as he's working the city centre and is using the train. I presume his reason for wanting diesel is the cheaper to run theory!

• Advertisement
Advertisement