Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small cartons of buttermilk

Options
  • 01-07-2016 11:25am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Are small cartons of buttermilk a thing anymore? The chains and local shops only ever seem to stock 1 L cartons, where a 565 mL or smaller would be handier...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Unfortunately they don't seem to be a thing. I only ever see 1L cartons, but fully agree that the smaller one would be very handy. I find the same with the regular milk in Lidl - 1L is the smallest they do...very annoying!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never seen small cartons - but it freezes really well so you could buy a large one and freeze portions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I remember buying pints of it in CMP cartons like 15 years ago. Fancied making soda bread soon, but don't always get round to using the carton. Freezing sounds like a plan, need to get me some (handy) liquid freezing containers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I freeze it in the carton, Tree :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

and do you defrost and refreeze whatever's left or do you usually get to use it up on one go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'd defrost & refreeze, if I had any left but I normally seem to use up a carton in a max of two goes (possibly because one of those is buttermilk chicken so I don't have to be too fussy about amounts)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I freeze most things in ziploc bags nowadays, they take up so little room in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I've used the second half of a 1L carton up to two weeks after opening. I find that it is even nicer in soda bread then, more sour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

The normal advice is never to refreeze anything that has been defrosted unless is has been cooked in the meantime, so same would apply here. Freeze in the size of the portions you require - or smaller portions if in doubt. It's easy to defrost 2 small portions if more is required. This is my motto with all my freezing. You can write measurements on the bag/sticker i.e. 200ml/200g

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Why not just make your own buttermilk as you need it?
    To sour, the milk Just add lemon juice

• Advertisement

now online wrote: »
    Why not just make your own buttermilk as you need it?
    To sour, the milk Just add lemon juice
    I've never found the soured milk route to be as good as the yoghurty buttermilk (I don't think anyone has access ot butter-buttermilk these days).

Advertisement