Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Forrest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

First day out for a week.
    After an easy warm up I did 5 laps of one of the parks in town keeping it slow and steady.
    Have a bit of a cold and a full week without any running so just took it handy and it was fairly effortless.
    7km in 36:59 and without hardly looking at the watch I managed very even splits.
    5:17
    5:26
    5:21
    5:19
    5:22
    5:19
    4:51

There is an 8.2 run on Sunday I got an email about (not sure why they bothered with the .2) that I'm considering.
    Registration is open till 12 tonight. Might just leave it though and do an LSR.

Nice fresh autumn morning. 12km @5.20min/km avg pace. A few minutes over the hour and not too often I go that length.
    With longer working hours and non existent evenings I probably won't be able to do a mile plan properly so runs of 6-10km
    will be my lot for a while with the odd day of intervals.

Day off today so up early to get a run in and was out before 9. The big toe on my left foot has been
    pushing up on the one beside it and casuing some discomfort recently so I decided to tape them together which
    seemed to do the trick.

It was cold and foggy and my hair was wet before I had even broken a sweat.
    After a 1km warm up I did a 5km tempo run trying to keep to a 4.30km pace.
    I finished up in 22:15 the splits being:

4:27
    4:32
    4:34
    4:32
    4:10

Effort levels were highish but I felt I had it under control although it makes me wonder how I
    did 10km on a tough circuit two weeks ago holding this pace. It was satisfying all the same to
    know that I can run a low 22min 5Km more or less at will. Now on my afternoon off with the fire
    blazing I'm going to sit back, relax and enjoy a few of the DCM reports.

An almost identical run to last Sunday. 12km @ 5:21min/km pace.
    The difference being that I felt better during the first half of last weeks run and felt the effort more the second half while
    this week is was the opposite. There were a few more km's if I'd wanted as the effort levels were low over the last few and I felt
    very comfortable but that's enough to keep me ticking over.

Had the evening free so decided to brave the cold and it was brass monkeys out.
    My groins were slightly tender this morning but that faded away as the day went on.
    After a short enough warm up I set off at a very easy pace and kept it there for 8km
    through the main park in town. Enjoyable run and easy run once I got going if a little
    dark in places. I nearly plodded into someone at one stage as he (at least I think it was
    a he) emerged out of the shadows.

6:00
    5:43
    5:42
    5:46
    5:52
    5:50
    5:55
    5:49

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

gramar wrote: »
    Had the evening free so decided to brave the cold and it was brass monkeys out.
    My groins were slightly tender this morning but that faded away as the day went on.
    After a short enough warm up I set off at a very easy pace and kept it there for 8km
    through the main park in town. Enjoyable run and easy run once I got going if a little
    dark in places. I nearly plodded into someone at one stage as he (at least I think it was
    a he) emerged out of the shadows.

6:00
    5:43
    5:42
    5:46
    5:52
    5:50
    5:55
    5:49

Look at those times :eek: were you walking or running??? :P

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Look at those times :eek: were you walking or running??? :P

They are mile splits J! :pac:

Took it very handy and enjoyed the night run in the cold sharp air. Hadn't time to stay out longer otherwise I'd have liked to do another 15 mins or so.

A damp foggy Saturday morning. The plan was to continue doing the LSR's of previous weeks but take a different route with more drags and climbs. The first 2km were all uphill, the first km had a slight drag and then it got progressively steeper and it was about a 5-6% incline getting to the top of the second km. The next 7km or so were undulating on wet tracks and there was very much a cross country feel to it hardly surprising seeing as I was running through the countryside.

Coming back to where the climb started on the 2nd km the easy option was to sail past on a slightly downhill track, get to the village in 10km and make up the other two but as the turn drew nearer I began to think I should go up it again...100m to go...it was will I won't I?...80...70...40...30...don't be stupid keep going....no..go up...put in the effort...20..10....and before I knew I was heading uphill again.
    I was more warmed up this time but the fog had receded slightly and whereas earlier I could see 100 yards now I could see most of it winding it's way uphill ahead of me and mentally it seemed a lot harder than the first time.

After getting to the top I had about 1.5km to bring me to 12km and like last Saturday I feel good and could easily have gone on another 3/4km without too much bother but the thoughts of a hot mug of tay and warm shower got the better of me and I was happy to leave it at that.

12km in 1:06:53 5:34min/km avg.

I'll try make it for an easy run during the week and then I might try the two x 5km tempo run that Battery Kinzie mentioned next weekend just for the hell of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Don't forget the hard mile to finish it off ;)

Don't forget the hard mile to finish it off ;)

Sure don't I love a happy ending!

• Advertisement

Only option for a run this week was tonight and have a cold coming on so even if I could later in the week I probably wouldn't have.
    I ended up doing 10km and not a word I've used before but I felt a bit leggy. Not much zip in them today.

I ran on a few dark paths where not even the light of the super moon could show the way and I stumbled a few times and was lucky
    I didn't end up on my arse or twist an ankle. I'll not be taking that route again in the dark.

10km in 51:24

5:16
    5:17
    5:12
    4:55 ...fastest km on the darkest and most uneven surface
    5:04
    5:01
    5:07
    5:07
    5:13...felt the legs getting sluggish along here
    5:08

After a warm up the plan was 5 x 1km repeats at 4:30min/km pace. I jacked it in after 3km. Wasn't really in the mood and
    my hip was a little sore so no point aggravating it especially as I've two back to back 5km tempo runs to do at the weekend.
    There's an exercise area in the park for chin ups, dips and the like so I spent a while there before an easy jog to cool down.

4:19
    4:19
    4:10

A cold windy day and the plan was 2 x 5km at about 4.30min/km pace.

It was 2.5 km out and the same back, the out part being into a very gusty headwind.
    I did about 1.5km of a warm up and was getting a few reminders from my left hip but
    decided to give it a go anyway. Checking the watch about 300km in I was just under
    4min/km pace so that clearly wasn't sustainable and I eased off to around 4.30min/km.

The reminders in my hip were becoming more persistent jabs as I went along and I could
    have persisted now with the wind with me but I felt there was no point aggravating it so
    I wound it up after 3km. I was still 2km from home so jogged back at an easy pace
    and the discomfort eased off a bit. Rain forecast later and it wouldn't be the first time
    it's acted up when the weather turns wet so hopefully just that.

4:20
    4:36
    4:34

On the plus side I picked up a silicon toe seperator that worked quite well. A lot handier than taping
    toes together to stop the rubbing.

First time out in a week. No pain or discomfort but still required a bit of effort and I was breathing a bit harder than I ought to have been.
    From doing between 25 and 35km a week it's now down to 15/20km so I can't expect to much.

Decided on 6km and to get it done in just under 30min which is exactly what I did 29:54.

4:58
    5:03
    5:01
    5:05
    5:02
    4:44

Over a week since I'd been out again and a trip involving plenty of eating, drinking and a few smokes too so it was time to get back on the wagon.
    I set out to do 6km at around a 5:15 pace. More or less kept to that for 4 then saw I had 9:31 left for the last two km to finish in under 30 mins so upped it a bit and even though earlier I hadn't felt entirely comfortable this didn't feel as bad as I had anticipated.

5:15
    5:08
    4:52
    4:23

What are your upcoming targets G or are you just running for fitness as the moment?

What are your upcoming targets G or are you just running for fitness as the moment?

No targets for a while. Might do a park run in a few weeks and after that there is a 6km in February I think, but no set objective in either other than that just try and keep ticking over so I'm not starting from too low a base next April/May when there's a few more races.
    Targets for then would be to go a bit faster in the mile and try go under 20 again in 5km. If there's a fast 10km then maybe that aswell.

Fell asleep on the couch Wednesday night in a stupid postureand woke up with a sore back so couldn't run 10 steps on Thursday as it was very tight. By yesterday I had hardly any discomfort so I got ready but within 5 steps the pain returned like someone jabbing me in the middle of my back.
    I ran about 500m a couple of times but there was no shaking it off then the 1km back to where I started but left it at that as it wasn't shifting. Curiously it's only when running. No discomfort walking or doing any physical work. I'll be busy during the week and the work dinner is on Friday so it could be Sunday before I can go again and it should be more than cleared up by then.

First proper run in two weeks.
    6km in 32min 14sec.
    The first two didn't feel great but I got into it after that however the body certainly misses
    the regularity.

First proper run in two weeks.
    6km in 32min 14sec.
    The first two didn't feel great but I got into it after that however the body certainly misses
    the regularity.

I'm going to be out in the morning for the 1st time following the HM, dreading it :eek:

• Advertisement

I'm going to be out in the morning for the 1st time following the HM, dreading it :eek:

You'll be grand J. You have a lot of running in your legs. Go out at an easy pace and you'll have shaken the cobwebs off within a km or two.
    I'm thinking of a parkrun Saturday if the weather isn't too wet n wild.
    Seeing as I've been getting out very little recently and how quickly the fitness levels gained just seem to dissipate if you don't train regularly anything under 24 minutes would be good.

You'll be grand J. You have a lot of running in your legs. Go out at an easy pace and you'll have shaken the cobwebs off within a km or two.
    I'm thinking of a parkrun Saturday if the weather isn't too wet n wild.
    Seeing as I've been getting out very little recently and how quickly the fitness levels gained just seem to dissipate if you don't train regularly anything under 24 minutes would be good.

Sub 24 minutes will be very leisurely for you, but it's Christmas so I'll let you off :D

On Christmas eve I did the parkrun for the second time in Kilkenny.
    It was a lovely morning and setting I got in early to make sure I was well warmed up as
    I hadn't done a hard run for a while. I said I'd try go for a 4.40min/km pace but
    with a lot of tree cover meaing unreliable GPS info and a tough enough uphill stretch
    at the end of each of the 3 laps the pace was anything but even so I went more or
    less on effort and tried to pace it as best I could.

I was going ok for the first 3km or so but was beginning to blow hard with about a mile
    to go and the already high effort levels were reaching unbearable proportions.
    The legs were fine but I just couldn't push them anymore. Had I been on my own I'd have
    eased off but having others to track helps to keep pushing.

I got across the line in 22:42 and have to say I was pleased with that as I thought I'd be
    at least a minute over that but I worked hard for it.

After a few Christmas pints I went out at 9 this morning to clear the cobwebs, nice easy run
    up the road. 5km in 27:30 or thereabouts.

I got a pair of 1000 mile socks for Christmas. It got me thinking of setting a goal of running 1000 miles in 2017. 1609km. I only started using the watch in May so I only have data from then and in the 6 months from May to October I did 626km. I probably didn't do more than 300/350km in the other 6 months so in or around 1000km for the year. Hitting 1600 in the 2017 might be a bit of a stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,470 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sounds reasonable enough if you can keep up the momentum from the second half of the year. Just focus on the smaller number: 20 miles a week.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sounds reasonable enough if you can keep up the momentum from the second half of the year. Just focus on the smaller number: 20 miles a week.

It's not a huge ask by any means and I think I'd benefit from running more particularly making the long runs a bit longer. Wearing the same socks all the time though could be a nuisance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,470 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I save my 1000 mile socks for long long runs and races of 10 miles or more. Too precious for everyday use!

Lovely sunny afternoon so home from work and before lunch I wanted to get out as I knew I wouldn't later.
    I set off at 5km/min pace and was wondering whether to do 5 or 6km. As most runs recently it was more effort
    than it should be and at 2.5km I turned back. At km 3 the silicone toe separator came out for the third run in a
    row. After working fine initially it works it's way lose now somehow. Not long after my left hip started to give me
    a few jabs thought nothing serious. At 4km I had 4.30sec to do the last one and finish in under 24min so upped the
    plod and managed the last in 4:22.

To top things off just after finishing I went for a footballer style nostril clear out and and got a bit more than I bargained
    for causing a nose bleed in my left nostril sending a very fine mist of blood over one of favourite tops that also happens to
    be white. I walked home the 300m hunched over like quasimodo trying not to get more on myself.

I did a hard 10km at that pace just 2 months ago and just more confirmation that the fitness has fallen away faster than
    shít off a shovel. I think for the next month or two I need to get out for longer slower runs of around 10km and build up a
    good base and then start the intervals after that.

8km and 50m in 42:57, just to round it up to 5 miles. Nice steady pace with only 8 seconds between the fastest and slowest km.

• Advertisement

The plan was for 10 easy km today. The temperature was up a few degrees on the last couple of days but it felt colder.
    Has I been stretching for the line in a 100m sprint my nipples would have crossed quite a bit before the rest of me.
    I stuck to the plan though which I don't always do and something I need to improve on.

No hip jabs today like the last few runs and I dispensed with the silicone toe separator and taped them up with non sticky tape
    that worked just fine. I also donned my new 1000 mile blister free guarantee socks. They felt grand. Like wearing socks really so
    can't ask for much more than that. I'll never run a far enough session to test the blister claim so I'll just assume it true.

10km in 54:17
    The slowest km was the first in 5:38min/km and the fastest km8 in 5:17.

Advertisement